Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi all,
    Submitted my gr2 2mths ago,met local sergeant then super (nice men I have to say) refs have been checked as the refs called me to say,any idea am I close to this being complete,when is the next intake? Thanks.

Hi,where can I check the progress to date on this,its been 2 months now,I know it could be more but would llike to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Hi,where can I check the progress to date on this,its been 2 months now,I know it could be more but would llike to know.

PMed you Leinsterdude.

colliegG wrote: »
    PMed you Leinsterdude.

Thanks very much.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

Hello everyone, I have been following the thread for the last few weeks and have found it most informative. Donman, I too applied back in Feb and am still awaiting news back on my GR2, I have relations in UK & Spain, so assuming that this is delaying things.

I have emailed them twice over those months and was just told that it was going through the process and I will hear when it is complete, so don't fret over it.

All that I'm waiting for is word on the above and a medical. Hopefully I will pass both and I'm looking forward to the challenge/s that await!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hello everyone, I have been following the thread for the last few weeks and have found it most informative. Donman, I too applied back in Feb and am still awaiting news back on my GR2, I have relations in UK & Spain, so assuming that this is delaying things.

I have emailed them twice over those months and was just told that it was going through the process and I will hear when it is complete, so don't fret over it.

All that I'm waiting for is word on the above and a medical. Hopefully I will pass both and I'm looking forward to the challenge/s that await!

Best of luck.

Hey there Mountain Man, sent you a pm,

Having a few tech problems on the PM, but your assumptions are correct!

Regards,

MM

Having a few tech problems on the PM, but your assumptions are correct!

Regards,

MM

Thought that, well when you get the tech problems sorted out, send me a pm,

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

2 questions I hope someone can answer for me.How far into your family does the GR2 form require you to go i.e do you have to go into cousins and second cousins etc ?
    And if you fail any test while on any of the phases can you repeat them or are you kicked off the course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

cousins no.

aunts and uncles yes.

• Advertisement

CO19 wrote: »
    2 questions I hope someone can answer for me.How far into your family does the GR2 form require you to go i.e do you have to go into cousins and second cousins etc ?
    And if you fail any test while on any of the phases can you repeat them or are you kicked off the course ?

aunts & uncles yes, cousins no, but if a son/daughter of an aunt/uncle shows up as iffy, then the overall check could take longer.

If you fail a test other than medical/security, as far as I know you can repeat, however you could be back stepped to the following phase.

Thanks lehanemore & geo1212 for your replies appreciate them ;) .
    I've been looking at the application form on the public jobs site and have gone through it,is there not a section asking do you have a job or what your previous employment was because it doesn't seem to be on this form.
    Also is there anywhere I can have a look at the GR2 form,it's supposed to be on the Garda website but there's no link for it.
    Reading also the interview process on the site,it says that you will be interviewed by a member of the public services and a retired member of the force yet everyone on here says it's an active Super that does them or is the Garda site on this wrong ?

Anyone got any "dodgey" relatives in relation to the GR 2 form and have been able to continue on even though ? I've one who I'm very worried will stop me from joining up on the other hand I've an uncle who's a detective Sgt wondering would that make up for it,this is really bothering me :(

SHELLYJ wrote: »
    Hi Geo,
    Thanks for the advise good to hear that I was not the only one deferred,
    I got e mail this morning to say medical passed, start training on the 8th March :)

well done Shelly,

good luck on the 8th.

Geo

Thanks lehanemore & geo1212 for your replies appreciate them ;) .
    I've been looking at the application form on the public jobs site and have gone through it,is there not a section asking do you have a job or what your previous employment was because it doesn't seem to be on this form.
    Also is there anywhere I can have a look at the GR2 form,it's supposed to be on the Garda website but there's no link for it.
    Reading also the interview process on the site,it says that you will be interviewed by a member of the public services and a retired member of the force yet everyone on here says it's an active Super that does them or is the Garda site on this wrong ?

Anyone got any "dodgey" relatives in relation to the GR 2 form and have been able to continue on even though ? I've one who I'm very worried will stop me from joining up on the other hand I've an uncle who's a detective Sgt wondering would that make up for it,this is really bothering me :(

I was going through the very same dilemma as you until I finally took the plunge.
    Fill out the initial cultural/religious background form on the publicjobs.ie site and then the first GR application form; the rest will come in the post and/or via e-mail.
    The dodgy relative is going to be there no matter what you do, I read somewhere on here that the main things they look for are Subversive activity and Drug related criminality, maybe there's more, I'm sure someone else will point this out. It obviously hasn't affected your uncle's progress up through the ranks, assuming the relative is on that side of the family.

It is well worth going back and reading through this thread in its entirety, all the questions you ask have variously been answered along the way.

Just go for it if you think you are ready and good luck.:cool:

lehanemore wrote: »
    I was going through the very same dilemma as you until I finally took the plunge.
    Fill out the initial cultural/religious background form on the publicjobs.ie site and then the first GR application form; the rest will come in the post and/or via e-mail.
    The dodgy relative is going to be there no matter what you do, I read somewhere on here that the main things they look for are Subversive activity and Drug related criminality, maybe there's more, I'm sure someone else will point this out. It obviously hasn't affected your uncle's progress up through the ranks, assuming the relative is on that side of the family.

It is well worth going back and reading through this thread in its entirety, all the questions you ask have variously been answered along the way.

Just go for it if you think you are ready and good luck.:cool:

Thanks for that again lehanemore,makes me feel a bit more positive about going for it now ;)

Just been reading an earlier post about the GR2 form where it asks about previous employment and that it requires 2 references,I'm 20 and a full time student in college I only worked part time during the summer and I'm not at the moment but will be again this summer I have never had "previous" employment before this,what do I do here ? just leave it blank or what :confused:
    Also do they check i.e ring up where you say you are or were working be it only part time or your full time day job or do they just take your word for it ? or can they see from you PPS number where you've worked or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SHELLYJ

Thanks lehanemore & geo1212 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Thanks for that again lehanemore,makes me feel a bit more positive about going for it now ;)

Just been reading an earlier post about the GR2 form where it asks about previous employment and that it requires 2 references,I'm 20 and a full time student in college I only worked part time during the summer and I'm not at the moment but will be again this summer I have never had "previous" employment before this,what do I do here ? just leave it blank or what :confused:
    Also do they check i.e ring up where you say you are or were working be it only part time or your full time day job or do they just take your word for it ? or can they see from you PPS number where you've worked or not ?

Hi Co19,

If you don't have someone that you worked for to get a reference from due to being in full time education I wouldn't worry too much. You could use your principal from school, coach from a sport club or your tutor in college as referees. They are looking for character references really.

They will definitely phone whoever you give as a reference. I gave references going back to 1999 and they phoned them all. I presume if they did call and couldn't actually speak to the person you named it wouldn't count as a reference.

Your best bet is to select who you're going to give as referees and then phone them and ask for their permission to do so. That way they'll know a call is coming and you've also reminded them who you are. Also there is nothing quite so annoying as getting phoned for a reference when you cannot remember anything about the person who's asking! :)

colliegG wrote: »
    Hi Co19,

If you don't have someone that you worked for to get a reference from due to being in full time education I wouldn't worry too much. You could use your principal from school, coach from a sport club or your tutor in college as referees. They are looking for character references really.

Ah I see ,that's great collie thanks :),I'll be able to get them from those sources no problem.
    Just thinking would I be able to give as 1 of my 2 references a reference from a relative of mine who is a Garda ?

Ah I see ,that's great collie thanks :),I'll be able to get them from those sources no problem.
    Just thinking would I be able to give as 1 of my 2 references a reference from a relative of mine who is a Garda ?

nope, says on the GR2 that it can't be a Garda.

Yea,didn't think so,just a thought,thanks lehanemore ;)

• Advertisement

Hi,I am waiting on my gr2 still....3 months now,I have a clean record anyway so am not worried,although I hope all relations have no secrets that I didnt know about,I do know some people from where I am from who were a bit dodgy and would know me,I am concerned the checks would take hearsay into account,I wonder is this the case,has anyone on this board had a knockback from the checks? I am as honest as they come so I should be ok but getting worried now as I have deferred 2 training courses due to take place in march/april incase I make an intake,also anyone based in Kildare at all yet?....3 months now bloody long time eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Leinsterdude Gardai don't work on hearsay only facts so don't worry on that account mate.

Leinsterdude, I've been waiting nearly 9 months. Patience is a virtue so they say!!

Although you could say I've been tested, but I will hang on till I hear either way.

Leinsterdude, I've been waiting nearly 9 months. Patience is a virtue so they say!!

Although you could say I've been tested, but I will hang on till I hear either way.
    Hi,9 months,have you done interview then gr2 and chat with super and then 9 months,or have you done medical also?Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

Just filling in that gr 2 form now wow its long

can anyone tell me did they provide written references
    and when they provided them at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kilkcat

jasonos wrote: »
    Just filling in that gr 2 form now wow its long

can anyone tell me did they provide written references
    and when they provided them at

not sure if you just fill in reference names ect. in the boxes provided on the form,and give written ones to local garda station,or do you leave that section blank.Anyone??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

I sent the gr 2 off to hq (i think) on wednesday but i havent received any reply yet. what happens next anyone no

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Jason, what happens now is, you have a long wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

After I failed 1 apptitude test and 2 failed interviews for the full time gardai, I have decided I am going to try for the reserves.
    I done my interview a month ago and just recently received notification that i was successful. I have sent off my gr2 form. I have also met with my sergeant. Who signed my form and now the background checks are currently been done.

If my background checks come back clear what is the estimate waiting time?
    Can anyone who is currently on the reserve force tell me do they no anyone that have switched from part time gardai to full time?

Also if I get accepted how long does it take to actually get assigned a station and start duty?

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kilkcat

paul666 wrote: »
    After I failed 1 apptitude test and 2 failed interviews for the full time gardai, I have decided I am going to try for the reserves.
    I done my interview a month ago and just recently received notification that i was successful. I have sent off my gr2 form. I have also met with my sergeant. Who signed my form and now the background checks are currently been done.

If my background checks come back clear what is the estimate waiting time?
    Can anyone who is currently on the reserve force tell me do they no anyone that have switched from part time gardai to full time?

Also if I get accepted how long does it take to actually get assigned a station and start duty?

thanks in advance
    how soon after sending back your GR2 form did u get word to go to your local station??

Advertisement