Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SHELLYJ

Hi,
    I was just wondering is there anyone who had their medical deferred?
    I sent in what they needed doctors report , was wondering is it best to wait for yes or no answer or phone the reserve office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

SHELLYJ wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was just wondering is there anyone who had their medical deferred?
    I sent in what they needed doctors report , was wondering is it best to wait for yes or no answer or phone the reserve office?

Hi Shelly,

I was originally deferred due to a mess up on an old doctors report, and when I got it sorted I drove back into the depot and put the correct letter into someones hand. So my advice would be to take a copy of what you sent and drop it off in person. I know it sounds like a pain, but I got a call the following day to confirm that I had been passed fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SHELLYJ

Hi Geo,
    Thanks for the advise good to hear that I was not the only one deferred,
    I got e mail this morning to say medical passed, start training on the 8th March :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

congrats shellyj and well done.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

hi all,finally have medical this month,then all going to plan start early march,great stuff,anyone else the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Hi,medical was last week,fairly straightforward but they do test things properly,sight,sound,lungs,wieght...all the things that may infringe on the job,seems the same one as the Army,if you are healthy at all you will be ok,have you got yours soon?
    I only sent in my background checks just over a week ago. havent heard anything about a medical yet.
    do your background checks have to come back clear first before been sent for a medical?
    And did they check your teeth? i think i may need a filling ive made an appointment see see a dentist just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

When you've done your interview and say you pass what do they do with your interview application form ? Do they hand it over to those who will be doing your background check ? or what's the story does anyone know ?
    Thanks for any replies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey ive my interview in cork 2moro:D, is there any 1 else doing it in cork 2 moro?? Im not nervious but i hop my age dosn't effect me, im 17 will be 18 very shortly tho, the garda resere & the public jobs ppl said i could apply because by the time the training would come around if i got in id be well 18, they said it is once ur 18 when beginning the persrubed training!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Hey ive my interview in cork 2moro:D, is there any 1 else doing it in cork 2 moro?? Im not nervious but i hop my age dosn't effect me, im 17 will be 18 very shortly tho, the garda resere & the public jobs ppl said i could apply because by the time the training would come around if i got in id be well 18, they said it is once ur 18 when beginning the persrubed training!! :)

Tommy,when you do the report writing exercise tomorrow don't even dream of using text-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Dont worriy i wont, thanks anyway Pat, im so nervous now ill let ye know how i get on anyway .....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

An Open Day will be held at the Garda College, Templemore, Co. Tipperary on Wednesday 16th April 2008 from 10 am to 2 pm. This Open Day may be of interest to any persons interested in pursuing a career in An Garda Síochána or for those interested in applying for the Garda Reserve

contact details given on http://www.garda.ie/openday.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Wow There has been a lot of activity on this thread since I have been here, well before christmas. For anyone who has read my posts last year YES I am still Waiting For a medical and YES I have been in touch with the Reserve unit in the Park and they are not forgetting me. I suspect their may be an issue with a relative somewhere and great caution is been taken in vetting my application which can only be expected of course but with all due respect I am not out of the race and I doubt i will be punished for someone elses actions, unless of course it was a security risk directed at me.
    One thing I have learned is at the end of the day it is voluntery work so just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

on standby wrote: »
    Wow There has been a lot of activity on this thread since I have been here, well before christmas. For anyone who has read my posts last year YES I am still Waiting For a medical and YES I have been in touch with the Reserve unit in the Park and they are not forgetting me. I suspect their may be an issue with a relative somewhere and great caution is been taken in vetting my application which can only be expected of course but with all due respect I am not out of the race and I doubt i will be punished for someone elses actions, unless of course it was a security risk directed at me.
    One thing I have learned is at the end of the day it is voluntery work so just wait and see.

I have now been waiting nearly 10 months for word, on both passing the vetting stage and a medical appointment. I also contacted the Park and spoke to a very polite gentleman, who said that they are waiting on information to come back and unfortunately could not give me anymore details.

I await with determined patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

hey all just wondering if applied now when is the earliest i could be in for, im goin for full time gardai next time round but goin for the two at the samre time, and when you accepted can you delay your training commencement date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

shakin wrote: »
    hey all just wondering if applied now when is the earliest i could be in for, im goin for full time gardai next time round but goin for the two at the samre time, and when you accepted can you delay your training commencement date?
    I'm going for both too. i have passed my interview for the reserves and i now have to wait on my backround checks to clear.
    ill be applying for the next garda full time recruitment too
    its hard to say hw long u would be waiting for it depends on how many relations u have and where they are from and it probably depends on the station too. its the same as the full time guards. worst case senario 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

shakin wrote: »

Hey,
    I'm going for the full time Gardai too, just have another year left in college.
    Have my Graduation from the reserves this Thursday, and i initially applied for the reserves back in april last year.
    Going for the Full time interview when it comes up next and you are allowed defer it for, i think 2 years max, if you want to finish college etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

hey ppl do u have to have your leaving cert to join the reserves,

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,I do not have it and got through,I do have college dip/certs though which more than suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

hi does anyone know when the next medicals or the next training period is also how long does it take before you get a call to meet with the superintendant in the local station any comments will be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Mad jesty wrote: »
    Hello leinsterdude,
    I was there the weekend also, and I must agree the staff are excellent in Templemore,
    it was very well run,
    I found I learned so much over the two days, everything ''sank in'' straight away so to speak.
    I honestly loved every minute of it , loved the self defence, although I am stiff and sore today, moving about a bit slow, likewise that's my own fault I should be a lot fitter and plan to work hard on that before the next weekend.
    I'm looking forward to the next few weeks training at my local station, don't know when I start yet, I shall be ringing my Sgt. tomorrow as instructed, when I ''come down from the high of the Templemore experience''
    Best of luck to you & everyone else with your training,
    and to anyone out there considering applying,
    Go for it you won't regret, you have nothing to loose from the experience, and even if you quit after the first training weekend (unlikey but it could happen) you will even at that stage have gained a wealth of knowledge that you can use in your day to day life.
    hey whats the story with the training in the local sytion what does it consist of?what hours are they?
    also can you give me a run down of the recruitment process and a timescale, please!:D

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

freddiew wrote: »
    Tucker who advised you about 10th & 11th May?

those dates were given to us at phase 1. Not from Dublin Freddiew!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Invincible

Now Tucker,don't get paranoid,you're picking me up all wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,743 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Breathe easy people.

Let's keep it on-topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Invincible

psni wrote: »
    Breathe easy people.

Let's keep it on-topic please.

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Invincible wrote: »
    Now Tucker,don't get paranoid,you're picking me up all wrong.

Well them what exactly has your relative been saving that makes you think he holds the reserve in " high esteem"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

hi can any one tell me what happens after meeting with the sergeant in my local station what are the next steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

hi can any one tell me what happens after meeting with the sergeant in my local station what are the next steps

At what stages have you completed so far in this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

It depends, you will have a short wait after you meet with the sergeant,
    you may be called for your medical,
    or you may be called for interview with superintendent,
    from my experience at stage II, & upon discussion at stage I with other trainees we all had different experiences at your stage.
    Sorry for being so vague..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Hi,anyone here going down to start,if so what county are you from?

So how did you get on at weekend, I presume you will be going down again 10/11th May? I will be going down as well. Are you from Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

Hey,

I have a few questions in regards to the criteria etc for garda reserve if anyone can help me that would be great.

I'm not actually from the South but from the North but I live very close to the border and Monaghan town station is located within easy driving distance. Does anyone know if a residency qualification applies for the reserves?
    As you will see from my other posts im currently in the recruitment process for full-time PSNI and because im only 17 (nearly 18) chances are I wont get in this time around so im hoping around three years service with the reserves will help me with my chances.
    Im still in school but will be going into the world of work soon and does anyone know if the job restrictions which reject an offer of employment in the south would be effective in the north?
    How important id Gaelic in the recruitment process?:confused:

thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement