Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be too much of a hurry all right, probably because theres a new Minister and they are waiting to see what happens next maybe ???

I'am still waiting for contact regarding my GR(2) still. 3 months and still waiting. Bit odd all right regarding the transport thing to training since as you say transport was arranged for past trainees. I know somebody got milage for using his car, so I wonder if this still applies ???

As you say, there is a bit of a go slow, but there is nothing to do but wait ....

I emailed the Garda Reserve section yesterday as it was 3 months to day since I sent in my GR(2) form so needless to say I was just a little curious to see how it was getting on. Anyway, I got a reply to say that they were still waiting for the necessary security checks to be carried out.

Does that mean that they are still waiting for my abroad people to be checked out or that they actually haven't started the clearance procedure yet ??? I'am probably reading too much between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

That is a standard line they use. I believe they are getting more strict and they are waiting till they get 35 people together to send for Medical and then to Templemore for weekend. There is no point in getting a few people as it would be bad use of time from Medical on, don't give up hope. After I sent my GR Form back they sent me to see Super. and that's where it is at presently. Have you been to see the Super yet?

Not by a Super, no. I was interviewed by a Garda Sergeant and by a Garda Inspector. The latter asked me why I wanted to join the G.R. and so forth, so I presume that would have been the same interview. I think all I have left to get through is this GR(2) and the medical.

I can see you point all right about numbers, so maybe so. Makes sense all right. Just a bit frustrating given they were putting me under pressure last April to submit it quickley, then nothing happens for months. Nothing to do but wait etc. Just frustrating is all.

I heard too from the Garda Inspector that they were sort of waiting to see what happens now with the new government and also that Public Jobs have stopped taking applications from the GR. Maybe they have enough applications to deal with ?. No doubt it will all be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I think then we are both in the same position waiting to be called for our Medical, let me know when this happens and I will do the same. Are you in Dublin save me reading back! Also, it is holiday time so that wont speed things up either:(

• Advertisement

No I suppose not. Very frustrating still. You just wish you knew something, anything, but as we all know there is nothing to do but sit tight. Hopefully we'll get through it and get to the next stage eventually.

I live in Dromiskin in the North East so if I do get in I would probably be stationed in Dundalk or surrounding northern district ?

Hopefully we'll meet up someday in Templemore at the next training session !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

If I learned anything since joining the reserves is that everything moves ever so slowly.You just have to grin and bear it for the most part.

Talk to me. They hurried me up to submitt the GR(2) in april and then nothing. As you say nothing to do buy sit it out. Where are you in the process ? Have you made it to the promised land yet or are you still in the queue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 babs-1

hi all. im just starting all this. cant believe from reading back how long it takes. about the GR2 form, anyone else have family they dont see or speak to. do you still have to contact them for details and will they be told they are being checked on your behalf?
    havnt even done the interview yet. anyone else going next week?
    read somewhere on internet that in the first round only 1 in 100 got through! is this true?

babs-1 wrote:
    about the GR2 form, anyone else have family they dont see or speak to. do you still have to contact them for details and will they be told they are being checked on your behalf?

Hi Babs1. I was in a similar postition to you in relation to this, though maybe a bit early for you to be worrying about it this early if you havn't done your primary interview yet ? But to answer your question anyway, I do (have family I don't see or speak too). Basically it is wise to fill in the GR(2) as best and as complete as you can, and honestly, as when they do the check and find some omitted information it may go against you or they may ask questions. So its best to fill it in as complete as possible, or if you can't include a note explaining why. In my case I had to contact my fathers (who left years ago) family to get his sisters birthdays and address details not to mention my fathers too, though in a roundabout way. I didn't tell them why exactly, I just said I applying for a civil service job and they needed to do a backround check. I also included a statement with my GR(2) submission outlining my past family history for them to review. I was told by a Gard that they obvioulsy have full time members with similar family history so they have come across the situation before and have procedures to deal with it, so I wouldn't worry to much.

As you can see it is a time consuming process. I had my primary interview in Feb / March and been waiting for feedback on my GR(2) since April, though I did recently get called for a medical (see above). It takes time, but I'am sure it'll be well worth it in the end. Let us know how you get on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

to the question about tracing relatives,
    gather as much information as you can and go to your local hse clinic or whomever deals with birth certificates and if you tell them you are volunteering for garda reserve they should look up the information for you. They did it for me,no charge, in kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

hi every1,

Posted my GR2 Form in April and still waiting for some sort of reply!

Thinking about ringing them but does any1 have any number 2 ring.. not sure who to ring

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

does the GR2 require birth date info etc from your "inlaws" side of the family?

lehanemore wrote: »
    does the GR2 require birth date info etc from your "inlaws" side of the family?

Sorry, to answer your question, you need to list details of both sides of your family - so relatives from both your mother and fathers side. In my case my father left when I was young and I had to contact all my relatives on that side for their DOB etc. Not easy but necessary, but it just goes to show the level of detail your going to need. Also remember - be totally honest, don't fib as if anything at all turns up in the security check that you didn't reference they may ask questions or disqualify you from the next stage.

Congrats Leinsterdude hope the rest of the process works out well for you.I was one of the lucky ones who only had to wait 2 months for the final GR2acceptance.Just be sure to include everything including postcodes if you have relatives in England etc as this can hold things up .Be sure to include relevant deceased relatives also if you have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

.Just be sure to include everything including postcodes if you have relatives in England etc as this can hold things up .
    I agree with baton charge, I have relatives abroad in England,Scotland,US, and Germany. I submitted my GR2 in march and I am still waiting for clearance, But sure it will be worth it in the end.

Absolutely. I had relatives in England, Spain and Austrailia and it took 6 months for clearance, so as I said mention everything as best you can.

In answer to the previous question regarding length of phases - P1 is an introductory weekend in Templemore (2 days); P2 is 56 hours of legal studies in the evenings/weekends; P3 is another 2 day weekend in Templemore followed by P4 which is 40 hours on the job training at a designated Garda Station; P5 is a one day graduation in Templemore.

Good luck and congratulations of all who are graduating this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Absolutely. I had relatives in England, Spain and Austrailia and it took 6 months for clearance, so as I said mention everything as best you can.

In answer to the previous question regarding length of phases - P1 is an introductory weekend in Templemore (2 days); P2 is 56 hours of legal studies in the evenings/weekends; P3 is another 2 day weekend in Templemore followed by P4 which is 40 hours on the job training at a designated Garda Station; P5 is a one day graduation in Templemore.

Good luck and congratulations of all who are graduating this weekend.

Thanks!
    So when you starting Phase two??
    I should be starting phase one on the first weekend in november

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,anyone know about this form,I am claiming leaving cert exemption and need to fill this out now,is it taken very seriously?Seems to a repeating some already in Gr2??:(

Hi,anyone know about the GR4 form??

• Advertisement

Hi,anyone know about the GR4 form??

Pray tell what is a GR4 form????

Its leaving cert exemption form,similar and in addition to GR2,was wondering if anyone else had to fill it in,more hassle!!!!!

Its leaving cert exemption form,similar and in addition to GR2,was wondering if anyone else had to fill it in,more hassle!!!!!

I'll be filling it in too:o.

what's in it that's more hassle than the GR2?

Nothing much more than on gr2,but just strange to have to do this as no other people here mentioned this.

Hi Geo,still applying thats all....GR2 dropped in over the weekend,waiting now,how about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hi Geo,still applying thats all....GR2 dropped in over the weekend,waiting now,how about you?

Hi Leinsterdude,

Attached DMR. Was one of the original phase. All going well and still enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

40? How much Aunts and Uncles do you have?

40? How much Aunts and Uncles do you have?

32 aunts/uncles, this includes my better half's side.

then 9 siblings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

lehanemore wrote: »
    32 aunts/uncles, this includes my better half's side.

then 9 siblings...

God help you. I didn't have close to that applying for the Gardaí. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

God help you. I didn't have close to that applying for the Gardaí. Best of luck.

Thanks.

just looking at some of their dob's coming in now and it seems to me like my grandparents were busy boys and girls during the emergency:D

Advertisement