Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Not tempted to do the waterford marathon? Is it definitly going ahead?

It got knocked on the head for 2011....but its definitely going ahead next year...we will see when its on and i may do it....but probably not...

Intervals - 8*600 on Grass

Club session tonight,got there late and they had 3 reps done already so did a 600m warm up and off i went.
    Reps were done in :
    2:00,1:53,1:53,1:52,1:53,1:49,1:52,1:52
    90s jog recovery inbetween.
    the first was slow as i had just arrived,the 1:49 was the first on my own after they had finished and flew out of the traps a bit.
    Then down onto the track for 6*150's.
    After those i headed off for a few recovery miles.

8m total at varied speeds

McMillan workout no.3 on Friday 1*2m and 4*1m ...ooooh yeahhhh as the Macho Man would say....RIP

McMillan 10k workout No.4

Before i go any further...it was super scorchio out there today,in my wisdom i thought it was a good idea to run just before noon :eek:
    I deserve a medal for even finishing this workout...people were panned out all over the park as i walloped around the outside pathways....

1.5m warm up ( roasted the minute i stood outsode the front door )

1*2m and 4*1m
    2m @ 5:39p
    5 mins jog recovery
    4*1m @ 5:42,5:41,5:42,5:43 Pace
    3 mins jog/walk/jog recovery

1.5m Cool Down ( not possible unless i jumped into a plunge pool )

Really happy to see the end of this one...the 2m took more out of me than i thought as i did the 5min jog after it....legs were jelly like after the 2nd 1m but did the last 2 comfortable enough considering the heat.

10.5m Total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Did the exact same session yesterday, found the heat tough and those 5 mins of recovery after the 2 miler just go too quickly. Nice job on the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Tough session there sosa, esp in the heat. Did 4 by a mile yesterday but it was at 6 30pm and still the heat killed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good work Sosa. You'll be ready for that 10k, even if it's a hot day. Did you have a HRM for the intervals? Be interesting to see what impact the heat had.

Good work Sosa. You'll be ready for that 10k, even if it's a hot day. Did you have a HRM for the intervals? Be interesting to see what impact the heat had.

No,i dont have one of those...better off not knowing what i am doing to myself....:D

I have missed a few posts lately.
    I did 10m on Saturday after work...found this really tough going,the day after the McMillan tough workout didnt help,either did the hills or the heat but got 10 miles in at 7:29 pace anyway...pace felt like 8:30p and effort felt like 6:30p .....i am lacking in longer runs these days...will have to rectify this when i strt into my training for the national half.

Today:
    Intervals
    Had not run since Staurdays 10m due to a plethora of reasons,so had to do this today as i hope to race friday night.
    I was working last night and back in again tonight so i usually dont run on this day but needs must.

1.5m warm up
    5*1k " 5:31p,5:26p,5:24p,5:21,5:18p
    w/200 metres jog rec inbetween
    1.5m warm down

6.7m total

Found these only ok...ran them at 4:30pm which was like 7am body wise as i was just up...not that enjoyable but manageable

Aerobic

Late run tonight,forgot how nice it is to run a nice cool night...it was a pleasure.

6.8m @ 7:13p

I gave McMillan a miss this week,i was down to do a 5k race or 4m tempo but did the intervals myself yesterday and plan to run the "Deadmans 5" friday night...no major aspirations time wise...i have been doing 2 interval sessions a week for the last 4 weeks...the goal race is the GSK5 on July 8th....there is a 10k the following week that i hope to get to also...
    Lets hope the route is not as tough as the name suggests !
    I believe its a fair route for people who have ran it.

Recovery

Just a slow 5k after the school drop this morning in prep for tomorrow night...looking forward to it.

3.1m @ 7:44p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Sosa wrote: »
    Aerobic

Late run tonight,forgot how nice it is to run a nice cool night...it was a pleasure.

6.8m @ 7:13p

I gave McMillan a miss this week,i was down to do a 5k race or 4m tempo but did the intervals myself yesterday and plan to run the "Deadmans 5" friday night...no major aspirations time wise...i have been doing 2 interval sessions a week for the last 4 weeks...the goal race is the GSK5 on July 8th....there is a 10k the following week that i hope to get to also...
    Lets hope the route is not as tough as the name suggests !
    I believe its a fair route for people who have ran it.

Hey Sosa

I ran the deadmans 5 last year; its a really good race and the event is well put together. In terms of the course mile 1 is flat and fast but 2 and 3 are pretty much all uphill. I ran these too hard and suffered big time on the way home. So maybe think of it as a mini-Wexford Half Marathon - nice and relaxed up the hills - attack like mental after.....

best of luck

Deadmans 5 - 28:30

An unusual race to say the least...not really feeling it heading up or during the warm up,but thats fairly normal for me now....the route itself can only be described as "up and down"
    The plan was to set out hard and just try keep going.
    Mile 1 was through the town...nice and flat...was trying to stay with a group ahead of me but the pace was to hot...lost a bit of ground here.
    Went through the first mile in 5:28
    Mile 2 and 3 are the hard miles on this route...3 tough hills along with sprinklings of rolling country side saw me only manage 5:58 and 6:03...at this stage after all the climbs i thought i would be lucky to break 29...but just after the last climb,we turnd back down towards the town...downhill and flat all the way home...2 full miles of it...i managed to make up a bit of time here with miles of 5:42 and a fast finish of 5:20.
    Crossed the line in 28:30...not really happy to be honest...i should have been able to manage 5:50's over the tough miles,that would bring me back to 28:10..there was a glut of runners around that time,i would have loved to been in the mix there on the last mile...ah well...next time.
    One of the girls in the club broke 30 mins...no mean feat for anyone,but theres not many women running those times...she was delighted.

Back to Mcmillan now for the next few weeks and try get myself in better condition to get a PB at my next race...the GSK5

Yesterday

A nice slow recovery run was the order of the day,no ill effects from Friday night...

5m @ 7:53p

Today

The round trip to and from work was on the menu today,miserable dirty morning as i trudged over to work at an ungodly hour...legs felt good though for that hour,better than usual
    Again the return leg was pleasant and i got home at a nice clip.
    40m for the week....its been a long time since i reached this in one week.

Into Work 3.5m @ 7:37p
    Home 6.5m @ 7:04p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Sosa wrote: »
    Deadmans 5 - 28:30

An unusual race to say the least...not really feeling it heading up or during the warm up,but thats fairly normal for me now....the route itself can only be described as "up and down"
    The plan was to set out hard and just try keep going.
    Mile 1 was through the town...nice and flat...was trying to stay with a group ahead of me but the pace was to hot...lost a bit of ground here.
    Went through the first mile in 5:28
    Mile 2 and 3 are the hard miles on this route...3 tough hills along with sprinklings of rolling country side saw me only manage 5:58 and 6:03...at this stage after all the climbs i thought i would be lucky to break 29...but just after the last climb,we turnd back down towards the town...downhill and flat all the way home...2 full miles of it...i managed to make up a bit of time here with miles of 5:42 and a fast finish of 5:20.
    Crossed the line in 28:30...not really happy to be honest...i should have been able to manage 5:50's over the tough miles,that would bring me back to 28:10..there was a glut of runners around that time,i would have loved to been in the mix there on the last mile...ah well...next time.
    One of the girls in the club broke 30 mins...no mean feat for anyone,but theres not many women running those times...she was delighted.

Back to Mcmillan now for the next few weeks and try get myself in better condition to get a PB at my next race...the GSK5
    I was happy just to break 35 after missing it last year by 20secs but it is not a PB course i think although conditions were ideal.I'm always surprised how fast the first mile is,even towards the middle of the pack,maybe the town spurs people to run faster.Hope GSK5 goes well for you,a nice break now to the Ballyneale 5k for me :)

hawkwing wrote: »
    I was happy just to break 35 after missing it last year by 20secs but it is not a PB course i think although conditions were ideal.I'm always surprised how fast the first mile is,even towards the middle of the pack,maybe the town spurs people to run faster.Hope GSK5 goes well for you,a nice break now to the Ballyneale 5k for me :)

Thanks Hawkwing....i will give GSK a go but its not one of my favourite races.....its not as fast as people say it is...thats a misconception,but there is always plenty of competition up there so that in itself is the main draw

Tempo

I have not done any tempos in a good few weeks so decided to have a go this morning,and what a morning it was...shades on and everything...sun beaming down...a beautiful morning for running.

2m @ 7:42p
    4m @ 6:00,5:54,5:56,5:50
    2m @ 7:53p

Total 8m

Back to McMillan this week with the 2*2m and 2*1m :eek:,not really looking forward to that but it will get done...either Friday or Saturday.

Recovery

A slow stroll in beautiful sunshine,yesterdays tempo felt good and i could easily have run a 5th mile at 6:20 to break 30 mins,but thats not the point of a tempo....looking forward to the McMillan workout this w/e now....2*2 and 2*1....not bother :eek:

4m @ 7:54p

Aerobic

A handy run tonight,nice and easy with the McMillan toughie tomorrow in mind.
    Met up with a few fellas after 3m and turned round and went the rest with them...enjoyable chat enroute.

8m @ 7:12p

Long Intervals - McMillan Workout No.5 ( 2*2m & 2*1m @10kp )

Headed down to the park again for these as its the handiest area for it,1k loops are not to short or to long...its marked out in 200m...so if you start at the 800 you finish your 2m at the start of the loop,nice and handy that way to have your drink and jacket stashed away and easisy accessible.
    I made a boo boo uploading the workout to the garminso the session was altered,i was raging when it beeped after mile 1 of the second 2m set..i was motoring well at the time but nothing i could do only reset the watch and do the following instead.

2m warm up @ 7:26p

2m @ 5:39p
    5 min jog/walk/jog rec
    1m @ 5:31p
    3 min jog/walk/jog rec
    2m @ 5:42p
    5 minsog/walk/jog rec
    1m @ 5:36p
    3 mins jog rec

1.75m warm down

11m Total

So it was more a 1*2m,1*1m ( *2 ) type session,same result though,got throught it and felt quite strong all the way,no doubts about not being able to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great session today Sosa, ya must be well chuffed! Plenty of pace and stamina.

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Great session today Sosa, ya must be well chuffed! Plenty of pace and stamina.

Thanks smmoore but im fairly tired now though,i deserve the few pints of Paulaner i will be having later !

In and home from work today....a beautiful morning but a miserable evening.

In - 3.5m @ 7:37p
    Home - 6.5m @ 6:55p

Nice to get a good start to the week under my belt....

Tempo

Tired today but decided to get this out of the way so that i can have a nice easy run into Saturdays McMillan 200's.
    The big fella was at the track so i headed to the park and did 5k.
    Wanted to stop after half a mile but ground out the 5k...

1.5m @ 7:08p
    5k in 18:09
    2.15m @ 7:28p

6.75m Total

I have not tun since tuesday night,was feeling a bit run down the last couple of weeks but ran through it,but i felt like crap during and after that run tuesday....missed work on wed and thurs and still not right today tbh...some sort of virus,very unlike me as im never sick....devoid of energy,feeling totally unbalanced,really dizzy...not so bad today.
    I may try 4 slow miles tomorrow if their is more improvement tomorrow morning.
    All will not be lost if i get my McMillan workout done Sunday...that would still be 2 key sessions done in the week...heres hoping !

Aerobic

Got out today finally,had planned to just do a recovery run but when i went to get the garmin is was totally dead so went with the stopwatch instead and ran a tried and trusted 5m route that i have run a couple of hundred times..legs felt good,a little wobbly at the start but got going.
    Hope to do McMillans 200's tomorrow

5m @ 6:58p

Short Intervals - McMillan Workout No.6 ( 24*200 )

Dropped the big fella to school and headed across the road to the park for these...all ready to go...hit the watch...DEAD...oh no not again...but luckily enough its marked out in 200's so i was fine...no times but i did what i could

1.25m Warm up
    24*200 w/200 jog rec
    0.75 Warm Down

Total 8m

The pace was tasty enough,a good bit faster than 5k i reckon as i could not imagine holding that for 5k...more like 3k pace i would speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did you enjoy the 200s? I found them a refreshing change, from the usual intervals. What 10k race have you lined up? I'm still looking for a suitable target.

Did you enjoy the 200s? I found them a refreshing change, from the usual intervals. What 10k race have you lined up? I'm still looking for a suitable target.

Yeah i really did...didnt feel like an interval session at all tbh...its the mile+ intervals that are the killers.
    Im doing the 3*2m this Friday,then a 5m race next Friday ( GSK5 in Dungarvan )then the following Friday is the 10k in Piltown Co.Kilkenny...supposed to be a good fair route...
    I would prefer the 10k to be the week after i do the 3*2m but thats just the way it has fallen.
    28:24 is my 5m time,i would have ran 28:13 at the slowest in Portlaw recently but the race was short,this will be bang on 5...so as close to 28 as possible.
    My 36:16 is the one i have the problem with...mad to get under 36 for 10k.

Aerobic

After a 12hr day and yesterdays 200's the plan was just a slow recovery but the legs felt good so i went a bit faster,great night for a run...

6m @ 7:06p

• Advertisement

Long Intervals - McMillan workout No.7 - 3*2m

So thats it...all my mcmillan workouts complete...not as bad as i thought it would be.
    Today Waterford is overflowing with people with the tall ships in town,so i have a few days off from work and nearly didnt get this done today,missed my oppurtunity this morning and was in town all day...the place looks great in there...Waterfordians should be proud...over 500k expected in these parts over the 3 days and the weather looks favourable also....
    So anyway made it down to the park just after 6 this evening,the park was very active,not ideal for doing these as the paths are not that wide and people tend to take up the whole path and get a fright then when you come flying past them...but it had to be done.

1.6m warm up
    2m @ 5:43p
    5 mins jog/walk/jog/drink
    2m @ 5:43p
    2m @ 5:44p
    1.4m Home @ a snails pace

10m Total

Great to complete these,ideally you would have the 10k the following week but mine is not until July 15th...but i have a 5m next Friday to keep me going.

Advertisement