Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Some 5k's and a 10k in may/June and would love to aim for half in sept. On course I think for sub 17/35/78

What races are they ?
    Im not in shape for sub 17 yet...im feeling flat,didnt race well my last 2 races,i need a good result to boost the confidence a bit.
    Sub 35 is a tasty target,i'll try break 36 first !
    As for sub 78...all going well thats my target in September.
    best of luck with them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    What races are they ?

10k in youghal and have entered the galway 5k series which suits as I'm working up the country midweek so will be able to make a few of the races
    Im not in shape for sub 17 yet...im feeling flat,didnt race well my last 2 races,i need a good result to boost the confidence a bit.
    Sub 35 is a tasty target,i'll try break 36 first !
    As for sub 78...all going well thats my target in September.
    best of luck with them anyway

With the quality speed sessions you've been doing lately you're definitly in sub 17 shape, just need to be right on the day. Sub 78 is the tough target...13.1 sub 6min miles, that'll be tough but you have to aim high.

With the quality speed sessions you've been doing lately you're definitly in sub 17 shape, just need to be right on the day. Sub 78 is the tough target...13.1 sub 6min miles, that'll be tough but you have to aim high.

Its all about on the day....but thankfully that day is not anytime soon.
    I have a low key 4m tomorrow night,will give it a bash,wont be all out...just want to see where i am as i have the club 4m on Easter Sunday,that gets a quality field every year.

Recovery

I was so tired today my eyeballs were hurting me....not feeling great the last few days....in general a bit lethargic lately...Tuesdays intervals apart,but i have felt it since.
    I only decided to run tonight as i really felt i needed a slow one,have been guilty of passing those of lately,last nights run for example was stupid,i was tired after coming off nights,ran the intervals fast,then ran another 5.5m after that,i was shattered Wednesday so i decide to run 4m at sub 6:40 and 2 at 7:30...stupid,paid for that today....really tired all day,but feel a bit better after the slow relaxed run in almost WARM weather....
    4m race tomorrow night in Tramore...more of a fun run but i will see what i can muster up...no aspirations of a PB or even near it tbh...would take 22:45 happily

4m @ 7:53p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

enjoy it sosa. the weather should be perfect!

• Advertisement

Tramore 4m - 22:52 ( 4th Place )

Was not feeling this today...really tired again this morning,so i was running tonight no matter how tired i was just to see how i would do...got out to Tramore around 5:15...registration was in and out...i did a 2m warm up that included about a mile at 7:15...found this tough...and then strides through out the other mile...ready to go...kind of !
    There was a good crowd there,more than i expected...not much quality at the top end of the field though as i thought...i kind of knew i had a chance of top 5 by looking around...off we went.
    The first mile was the usual...loads hammering it early...i was only about 10th after nearly a half mile...but started getting going then...passing through mile 1 in 5:42....pushing nicely along then on mile 2 through the downhill section here with a 5:38...mile 3 i was getting tired...plugged away but slipped to a 5:50 sluggishly...could see a fella ahead of me that i have had many a batltle with over the last 12 months,passes him just at the start of mile 4 on the same down hill section ( 2 lap circuit )...romped home then with a 5:33 last mile.
    It was a bit long also so you could shave a few more seconds off that.
    Delighted with the finish,never pushed to the limit...just ran as fast as i could while staying in control...
    Never though going out there that i could run that time howw i felt...a little confidence booster...badly needed.
    2m warm down then

8m Total

Mini Tempo

Decided after Fridays race to take the w/e off,i was working both days anyway so it would have been difficult...so it worked out well,kind of forced me to take the rest.
    Beautiful morning out there....but the legs were not responding..as i said work all w/e...late nights and beer watching the Golf...not ideal prep for a tempo.
    Anyway,dropped the big fella to school and i went from there.
    2m warm up @ 7:10p
    3m @ 5:57,5:59,5:59
    2.5m warm down @ 7:15p

Going mad now i didnt do the 4th tempo mile but i was finding it hard going,so knocked it on the head.

7.5m @ 6:43p ave

some good running there when you weren't feeling it. I wonder would you learn more in a 'B' race such as Fridays 4 miler if you went out hard with some of the front runners? Been running some internal club races recently and found that I got on better by going out fast and hanging on with faster lads rather than running to time and pacing myself to begin with. In a 5 miler back in Feb I watched my pace for the first half mile not going off "too hard" like a lot of lads...problem was I ended up running most of the race on my own trying to bridge the gap back to the group. Maybe a hard first half mile in a shorter race doesn't really do any damage and you're better off then being able to run in a similar pace group once the paces dies off a little?

some good running there when you weren't feeling it. I wonder would you learn more in a 'B' race such as Fridays 4 miler if you went out hard with some of the front runners? Been running some internal club races recently and found that I got on better by going out fast and hanging on with faster lads rather than running to time and pacing myself to begin with. In a 5 miler back in Feb I watched my pace for the first half mile not going off "too hard" like a lot of lads...problem was I ended up running most of the race on my own trying to bridge the gap back to the group. Maybe a hard first half mile in a shorter race doesn't really do any damage and you're better off then being able to run in a similar pace group once the paces dies off a little?

Yeah,its certainly food for thought alright...im not one for scampering out of the blocks and certainly not last friday...but its worth a shot some time alright.
    I have 2 races coming up...one i was going to skip but decided to race...
    Next Friday,its a 10k...right next to the job,i can actually see part of the course out the window.Its a 3 lap circuit...so you have 3 downhill sections,and 3 tough steep uphill sections...i will be having another attempt at sub 36 there even though i go into a 10k plan in a couple of weeks...then 2 days later i have the club 4m which has turned into a really good race the last few years...i came to the conclusion that sub 36 is a time i want to chalk off....i ran 22:16 in the 4m last year....thats going to be near impossible to beat for me next week.....so sub 36 all the way ( well a good attempt anyway ) and see what i have for Sunday morning then...

Aerobic

Bonus run today,was awake early today after work last night....i might pay for this tonight but for some reason i woke early,very unlike me as i need no invitation for sleep....so when i got up nobody was here,i decided to head out the door before they all came home.

7m @ 7:02p

• Advertisement

Tempo ( Totally and utterly unplanned )

Missed a run yesterday and was tired (again) today so planned an easy 5/6...but by the time i got out of the estate (0.25m) i realised that the garmin was playing up...so reset from there and off i went...it beeped at mile 1 to show that mile in 6:16 :eek:...jesus i said way to fast but decided to keep going...i ended up knocking out mile 2 at 5:50...mile 3 @ 5:41 and mile 4 at 5:51.....to finish up the 4m in 23:38...not bad...tipped home then at 8:00 pace roughly...

Total 6m @ 6:29p

If the big fella goes to athletics tonight,i will do another 4/5 slow.

Aerobic

It doesnt rain but it pours.......after this mornings unplanned tempo i felt great...best i felt in a while but still only planned to do a recovery 4/5 tonight while the big fella was at athletics...went on my own aswell so i would not be tempted to up the pace with the group...but about 2m into it i bumped into the group coming the other way...things were going to plan both miles around 8:00 pace...lovely and relaxed...then i went with them,ended up doing 7.5m up hills and everything...but it was all good.

Total 7.5m @ 7:09p

13.5 for the day...happy days :D

Aerobic

Since i started running,if i had a plan i stuck to it,but lately i am deviating all over the place,easy runs are not easy enough and therefore i am missing out on some quality because of it.
    Thursday was case in point,i did a tempo am and planned 4/5 at 8:00p that night while the big fella was at the track,ended up doing 7.5 @ 7:09 ave but the last 5.5 of that were under 6:40p...silly and something i would not have dreamt of doing last year in prep for Cork....i really wanted to do a big workout this morning,the plan was to do the Wat half route broken up like this 3m easy,the 6*1m @ 10k pace w/3mins rec and finish with 3 easy....i knew yesterday it was going to be tough,when i got up this morning the same but hoped that when i got the 3 easy miles done that i would just click into gear...didnt happen...i stopped at 3m reset the watch because i had the workout set up on the garmin...struggled through the rest of the run then...legs were like blocks.
    Real pity as with the 10k next week i wanted to get the mile reps done at sub 36 pace (5:47) to give me some sort of indication if i can hold that for the duration on race night...ah well didnt happen...and i will still have a go next week

10m @ 7:17p ( felt like 8:17p )

To work and home again

I took the short cut into and home from work today,no heroics.
    3.5m in @ 7:56p
    3.5m home @ 7:27p

Thats 45m for the week,highest weekly mileage of this year ...
    Rest tomorrow,10/7/4 session at 10k pace on tuesday then in the lead up to the 10k friday night

Long Intervals - 10/7/4

Holy jesus it was toasty out there today....really hot in parts,but had to get this done,only 3 days to the 10k so tomorrow would be leaving it to close for comfort.

1m easy to get me going

10 mins @ 5:38p
    2m jog rec
    7 mins @ 5:39p
    2 mins rec
    4 mins @ 5:42p
    2 mins jog rec

2.5m recovery home

7.5m total

Really happy to get this done today,it was tough going in that heat.
    Rest day tomorrow and an easy 5/6 on Thursday morning with a few strides thrown in for good luck and then we will have another bash at sub 36 on Friday night.

Aerobic

Where has this weather come from ? unreal heat the last few days,got all the garden furniture and deck all painted up and looking good,now its going to rain for May,June and July and it will be no use to me !
    I usually the optomist but we may as well enjoy this while we have it....
    The run itself was alright,not feeling sub 36 is in me tbh...just not feeling confident about my running lately and cant see it changing tomorrow night,im not one for talking myself down and then all of a sudden setting a good time,if somehow i do break 36 tomorrow it will be by seconds and it will take 110% to do it...we will se tomorrow night,i will be having a go anyway and we will se what i get out of it.

6m @ 7:03p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Good luck tomorrow Sosa. Whats the course like, flat enough? Only tip i can give that worked for me is to tag on to someone goin a tasty pace and hang on for dear life!! Give it all ya got :rolleyes:

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Sosa. Whats the course like, flat enough? Only tip i can give that worked for me is to tag on to someone goin a tasty pace and hang on for dear life!! Give it all ya got :rolleyes:

Its a 3 lap circuit smmoore,a long downhill section followed by a long enough steep uphill section,you would manage it the first 2 times,but when you hit that hill on the last lap,its a killer....theres less than half a mile to go at that stage...its a gut buster.....:eek:

Its a 3 lap circuit smmoore,a long downhill section followed by a long enough steep uphill section,you would manage it the first 2 times,but when you hit that hill on the last lap,its a killer....theres less than half a mile to go at that stage...its a gut buster.....:eek:

Sounds like you'll really earn that sub 36 on a course like that! Best of luck anyways.

Butlerstown 10k - 36:36 ( 7th or 8th Place )

As expected no sub 36 tonight,but i saw enough there tonight to suggest that its not far...some smart arse might say its 37s away but in fact its less than that on the right course and some proper 10k training added into the mix.
    everything went according to plan,it was just that fuppin hill on each lap ( 3 lap circuit )...i thought i would fly up it the first time...i didnt it was a struggle...next time round more of a struggle and the last time i felt like i was walking it...but each time i got up the top of it i motored on,there was no trying to get going again,so that pleased me....i dont do any hill work so that doesnt help i suppose.
    All in all a good run...considering i finished 7th or 8th...i think only 4 went sub 36...i can take the positives,tbh im just glad i ran it,if nothing else it was a great training session.

1.5m warm up and down to make it 9.2m for the night...after 3m i knew that sub 36 was going to take a monumental effort so instead of chasing lost causes i ran hard but not crazy hard for the remainder with one eye on the club 4m on Sunday morning...and its flat !

• Advertisement

Butlerstown 10k - 36:36 ( 7th or 8th Place )

As expected no sub 36 tonight,but i saw enough there tonight to suggest that its not far...some smart arse might say its 37s away but in fact its less than that on the right course and some proper 10k training added into the mix.!

Great effort on a tough course and a nice finish position! You deffo have sub 36 in you based on that time. I did 36 48 in the Great Ireland which is very hilly aswell. The next week I ran under 36 in the BHAA Kildare which was flat. If theres a 10k in the next few weeks thats flat Id run it if i were you. Finding one now is the hard part ;)

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Great effort on a tough course and a nice finish position! You deffo have sub 36 in you based on that time. I did 36 48 in the Great Ireland which is very hilly aswell. The next week I ran under 36 in the BHAA Kildare which was flat. If theres a 10k in the next few weeks thats flat Id run it if i were you. Finding one now is the hard part ;)

Next one for me is July 15th in Piltown,supposed to be flattish and the following month i am organising a 10k in work which i may not be running as i am organising it but we will see what happens there.
    I will be posting details of it in the A/R/T events forum when i finalise details...watch this space everyone......

Went out for a recovery run this morning,nice and early out the door around 8ish...beautiful morning and no niggles to report,the legs feel grand and ready for another go tomorrow.

4m @ 7:55p

Waterford AC 4m - 22:18(unofficial) 10th Place

The lads were saying at the end that the clock didnt start for 3/4s after we went so i await the official time to see if i have a new PB (current 22:16)

I was looking forward to the race this morning even though i raced Friday night,i had 2 great sleeps inbetween and felt that i was ok...
    It was a schorcher of a morning so with the race Friday and the heat a new PB never entered my head...honestly.
    The first mile was covered in 5:30...felt ok,not great..onto mile 2 and the only uphill section of the route,a decent pull of about 200/300 metres and i felt good going up this passing 2 people,the dowhill section after this is a lovely part of the course and i passed 2 more here...mile 2 covered in 5:44...mile 3 is flat and i kept steady here,about half way through this mile i figured that a PB was well gone by a quick tot of pace and distance remaining,so that was the last time i looked at the watch...running on my own was not easy ,i would have loved to have someone either breathing down my neck or just ahead of me,i had neither...Mile 3 in 5:42....Mile 4 is also flat and i just kept the pace up as best i could withought killing myself,keeping all i had left for the finish at the track...into the RSC then...good crowds there clapping away and that gave me the final push...still had not looked at the clock...turned the bend and saw the clock for the first time in 1.5m....22:00....22:01....22:02....jesus i thought,i might just get there,i ran as fast as Forrest Gump to the line to get there in 22:18....2s out on last year...sh!t i thought,if only i kept an eye on the watch....soon after i was told about the clock error...i await the official times tonight.....

all in all a very unexpected race for me this morning...im delighted with it especially after racing Friday night...onwards and upwards...we have the club 7.5m Waterford to Tramore now in 2 weeks so all eyes on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good stuff sosa, only a matter of time before you got another pb(tbc, but still...your back, good luck for the summer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Excellent running Sosa.
    On another note how is sungod doing these days, is he still in action or is injury getting the better of him.
    Your log is definitely telling me to stop using the baby as an excuse :D

Waterford AC 4m - 22:18(unofficial) 10th Place

The lads were saying at the end that the clock didnt start for 3/4s after we went so i await the official time to see if i have a new PB (current 22:16)

I was looking forward to the race this morning even though i raced Friday night,i had 2 great sleeps inbetween and felt that i was ok...
    It was a schorcher of a morning so with the race Friday and the heat a new PB never entered my head...honestly.
    The first mile was covered in 5:30...felt ok,not great..onto mile 2 and the only uphill section of the route,a decent pull of about 200/300 metres and i felt good going up this passing 2 people,the dowhill section after this is a lovely part of the course and i passed 2 more here...mile 2 covered in 5:44...mile 3 is flat and i kept steady here,about half way through this mile i figured that a PB was well gone by a quick tot of pace and distance remaining,so that was the last time i looked at the watch...running on my own was not easy ,i would have loved to have someone either breathing down my neck or just ahead of me,i had neither...Mile 3 in 5:42....Mile 4 is also flat and i just kept the pace up as best i could withought killing myself,keeping all i had left for the finish at the track...into the RSC then...good crowds there clapping away and that gave me the final push...still had not looked at the clock...turned the bend and saw the clock for the first time in 1.5m....22:00....22:01....22:02....jesus i thought,i might just get there,i ran as fast as Forrest Gump to the line to get there in 22:18....2s out on last year...sh!t i thought,if only i kept an eye on the watch....soon after i was told about the clock error...i await the official times tonight.....

all in all a very unexpected race for me this morning...im delighted with it especially after racing Friday night...onwards and upwards...we have the club 7.5m Waterford to Tramore now in 2 weeks so all eyes on that.

New PB ....22:15 official time....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

youre in great shape sosa - what are the goals for the rest of the year?

Nice running....the 22min barrier is looming...

youre in great shape sosa - what are the goals for the rest of the year?

Sub 80 for the half
    Sub 36 for 10k

They are 2 i want,and after that whatever happens
    Also try to get as close to 28 for 5m as i can....
    Nice running....the 22min barrier is looming...

Yeah,big surprise tbh,didnt expect that type of time after Fridays race....sub 22 next year

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Excellent running Sosa.
    On another note how is sungod doing these days, is he still in action or is injury getting the better of him.
    Your log is definitely telling me to stop using the baby as an excuse :D

Hey Woddle,he is in and out with the same niggling injuries,and he is busy workwise also...so he is not posting because of that i think...other than that he is in his usual good form

Advertisement