Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Recovery

A great morning for running earlier,i was tired after yesterdays race,a proper sign that i gave a good effort.
    The calves were tender,just muscle soreness from the effort of those hills but a nice kind of tenderness...one of satisfaction !
    I was going to take today off and run into and home from work tomorrow,but decided to do it today and then leave it until Wed night or Thurs morning to run again...that way i get an extra 45mins in the bed tomorrow and dont have to trek over while the birds are singing.
    Plan now is to either do a tempo Wed night after work or leave it until Thurs morning...depending on the calves...
    less than 2 weeks to the National half,yesterday gave me a boost but still the target is sub 80...no point going out any harder than 6:06p as i know i have not got enough done to try maintain 13.1 @ 5:59.....

7m @ 7:43p

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great running in the 5k Sosa...... Quick question 4 u.....by any chance do u know if u can register on day of Half marathon thats on 3rd Sept of do u have to pre register... Tks

liamo123 wrote: »
    Great running in the 5k Sosa...... Quick question 4 u.....by any chance do u know if u can register on day of Half marathon thats on 3rd Sept of do u have to pre register... Tks

As far as i know there is no reg on the day of the half...check out the AAI site for confirmation

Tempo

The legs were very tender after Sundays race,must have been the hills as i do not recall ever pushing as hard uphill before so sore calves and tight hamstrings were always going to hamper me this week.
    I usually run into work on my first day which was Tuesday this week,but i knew Monday night that was not a good idea so drove in yesterday and today....so after nearly 60hrs rest (from running) i got togged out to have ago at a tempo...
    The legs responded and i managed to crank out 5 tempo miles in 29:48...
    Really happy to get this done with the half 10 days away.
    I wanted to give myself a nice few days inbetween the tempo and Sundays run...where i will run the route and the last 3.1 at hmp

1m @ 7:35p
    5m @ 5:58p ( 29:48 )
    2m @ 8:22 & 8:34p

8m Total

Aerobic

The plan today was a slow recovery run after last nights tempo...but the legs felt great today,first time in an age that they felt as good the day after a hard session.
    With that the miles were a little quicker but felt slow...all good
    Maybe another similar 6 on sat then run the half route early sunday morning

6m @ 7:23p

• Advertisement

Aerobic

Just off nights and just wanted a nice casual run today to wake up and get ready for tomorrows trial run of the national half route.
    The legs are feeling great this week,best in a long time,felt slower than 8:00p today.
    I was struggling badly 3/4 weeks a go,totally burned out,but some slower paced runs and one key session a week instead of 2 have recharged me,not ideal in prep for next week as i would rather be better prepared to go for a faster time but i will still be having a cut off 79:xx and i think i have a good shout at doing it,original plan was to run it at sub 6:00p but im certainly not up to that,i dont think i could muster up a sub 60 for 10 at the moment so no hope of holding that for an extra 3.1.
    If i get sub 80 next week i will be a very happy bunny !

6.6m @ 7:18p

Med Long

Well thats it..all done and dusted....( my training block for the national half ),not ideal,not to plan,didnt reach anywhere near the mileage i wanted,3 very average races along the way,missed my goal of sub 36 in the 10k ( 2 attempts,didnt get under 36:30 in either ),got burned out along the way,freshened up somewhat over the last 2/3 weeks to get me where i am now....optimistic...in my chances of a sub 80 next week,i am by no means confident but will gove it a go.#Todays run was supposed to be the half route and do the last 3.1 @ hmp but nearly didnt get out at all as i couldnt get out of the bed this morning so i was luck to get out at lunch time,so rather than waste time driving down there to run i just went from the house.
    Started off a little quick with a 7:06 and that turned out to be the slowest of my first 10 miles...clipped along very nicely between 6:40 and 6:50 up to 8m then did a 6:33...then decided to push the 10th mile and jog the rest home as a recovery...5:56 here...felt good.
    I took a minute then,little stretch and jogged home the required 2.4m home to get me to the dizzy heights of a 40m week for only the 2nd time in the last 3 months....
    Roll on next week !

10m @ 6:44p ( 10th Mile @ 5:56p )
    2.4m @ 7:30p
    12.4m Total @ 6:53p

Aerobic w/6*400

Took a rest yesterday and headed out for this short run this evening.
    Tried to hold the 400's at 6:06p with Saturday in mind but found it really difficult,all my long intervals and tempo runs have been at 5:55p - 6:00p so this was an eye opener tonight that i will have to watch at the w/e.

1.5m easy down to the park @ 7:23p
    6*400 @ 5:55,6:05,5:52,5:52,5:53 and 6:00p
    w/1 min jog rec inbetween
    1.5m home easy @ 7:37p

5.5m Total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Take it easy between now and Saturday, you're in good shape....fatigue will impact you in a HM so nothing more strenuous than strides now

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Take it easy between now and Saturday, you're in good shape....fatigue will impact you in a HM so nothing more strenuous than strides now

Oh yeah,last night was the last of any sort of fast running.
    Rest today again and 5m real easy tomorrow night and rest again friday is my plan.
    You coming down ? I owe you a guided tour

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Oh yeah,last night was the last of any sort of fast running.
    Rest today again and 5m real easy tomorrow night and rest again friday is my plan.
    You coming down ? I owe you a guided tour

Unfortunately not - I might make yer annual one in december though. Have a 10 mile race thursday week and a HM then in Spain on Sept 24th so be sure and set me a good target this weekend. Already have 59:36 jotted down for the 10 miler next week :D

Aerobic

Nice easy run this evening,all eyes on Saturday.
    Next time i lace them up....its going to be interesting

5m @ 7:33p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck saturday if im not on before then, id say you will be grand you have the pace for sure anyway!

National Half Marathon 85:3x ( i think )

The weather yesterday was supposed to be awful,heavy winds and rain were the rumours and forecasts but somehow the weather gods kept the wind at bay which is crucial on that route,its a pb route once that happens and you can forget about it otherwise.
    During the 400's i did tuesday i picked up a bit of a knock on the outside of the right calf,didnt think it was to serious but ran only thursday after that and felt nothing so thought i was good to go yesterday.
    I got through the first 6m with no bother,met Krusty at 2m and ran 2 with him,felt the pace was slowing and went ahead only because i did not have the confidence to push on the last few miles,i felt that i needed to keep on track or all was lost...so off i went,no niggle yet.
    got to about 6m and i felt it for the first time,hoped it would go away but after 2m of hard work to keep at 6:06p i pulled up ( just after you passed me Krusty,tried to go with you but it was not to be )stopped the watch and hands on head...really dissapointed...looked around for a lift back,no sign of anything and got a shout from someone passing me and decided to try again,managed about 400m but it came back again...walked some more...time gone now...no lift back and did not want a DNf against my name so jogged back...gutted as swarms of people passed me as i trotted home...really good race on my own patch with loads of people aiming for under 80 mins and this happens...ah well...i have been very lucky in the near 4 years i have been running,this never happened to me before and i have not got any injuries other than niggles,this is not bad either ( i hope ) as i dont think i would have been able to jog home if it was.
    I am going to take a break now though,let the leg heal and recharge the batteries and try get that elusive sub 80 in Dec on the same route ( weather permitting ).
    Well done Krusty on what looked like an easy run for you,you were very strong at 8m when i was just about finished and keep the faith for 2:42 !
    Good to meet Abhainn again,and he was dissapointed with 77 mins...well done Joe

Sosa wrote: »
    ah well...i have been very lucky in the near 4 years i have been running,this never happened to me before and i have not got any injuries other than niggles,this is not bad either ( i hope ) as i dont think i would have been able to jog home if it was.
    I am going to take a break now though,let the leg heal and recharge the batteries and try get that elusive sub 80 in Dec on the same route ( weather permitting ).

Hard luck on the timing - I've had plenty of races in the last while where I've just not been right coming up to the race or on the day and its so dissappointing when you've put the hours in. At least you have another shot coming up in December (barring ice & snow!). You might benefit from a small break and also maybe a longer more structured HM training program for december. Still - 1:25 is a good time for jogging it in!(1:30 is still my HM PB).

Waterford HM's seem to be bad luck for you - did you not break your tailbone for the last one?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Hard luck on the timing - I've had plenty of races in the last while where I've just not been right coming up to the race or on the day and its so dissappointing when you've put the hours in. At least you have another shot coming up in December (barring ice & snow!). You might benefit from a small break and also maybe a longer more structured HM training program for december. Still - 1:25 is a good time for jogging it in!(1:30 is still my HM PB).

Waterford HM's seem to be bad luck for you - did you not break your tailbone for the last one?

Lol...no i didnt break it thank god but it felt like i did,i was really worried that day,i was out in A&E the day before and got dosed up with horse tranquilisers and stupidly ran it the next day in howling winds and rain....ran 84 something,terrified to go any faster.
    It was sore for a few days afterwards but thankfully never reared its head again,must have been a nerve pulling from my glute over towards the tailbone or something because the anti inflamms sorted it out.

I have the Run for Life 10 miler in mid Oct in town and then the club half Dec 8th...hopefully the ice will stay at bay for that and i can have another go then.
    Theres a 10k this Sunday from the RSC also,usually 1000 entries per year,tough route though,i will give it a miss this year,im working Sat and Sun night anyway but im not up to racing now for a while.
    Best of luck with the 10 miler Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Sorry to hear you had a bad race sat , hopefully its not a long lasting injury :) , fair play for finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

That was me giving you a shout. Jaysus us KK lads cant stop beating ye waterford lads this year:D:D

would it be good to just run the 10miler as a tempo run in prep for the half in dec...plenty of 10milers early next year.

anyway recovery from the knock first i guess...

That was me giving you a shout. Jaysus us KK lads cant stop beating ye waterford lads this year:D:D

I knew that was you VR,that was my 2nd time stopping and walking,tried to go ith you but could not,jogged from there.
    I am happy i finished though,may have been a good thing that i did as the jog may have helped a bit,might have seized up if i didnt.
    I ran yesterday for the first time since and only felt a slight discomfort towards the end of the run,so not to bad i suppose.
    No good to me know though.
    100 people under 80 mins,that was the race to do it...plenty of competition.
    Hows you training going ?
    Sub 2:50 on the cards ?
    seanynova wrote: »
    would it be good to just run the 10miler as a tempo run in prep for the half in dec...plenty of 10milers early next year.

anyway recovery from the knock first i guess...

I will see how i am Seany,the competitiveness in me will want to break the hour there even though its a very tough route and i'll be on my own again like last year ( only 4 people under the hour ).
    Might make more sense to do what you say but the madness might prevail !
    Well done on your half by the way i read your report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

If i eat well in nxt two weeks, dont smoke I reckon its on. I smoked all weekend due to match. I ran 81 sat comfortable. If i was to race it it reckon 78/79. I reckon sat was as easy as a half gets and i thought it odd that every miles combined with garmin.

If i eat well in nxt two weeks, dont smoke I reckon its on. I smoked all weekend due to match. I ran 81 sat comfortable. If i was to race it it reckon 78/79. I reckon sat was as easy as a half gets and i thought it odd that every miles combined with garmin.

Surely thats odd in a good way ?
    Earlier in the year i thought that even though i was reducing the miles by about 40% a week i could improve on my PB times for all distance this year by doing more quality in the miles i was doing,thats not the case,i now realise that the miles in the legs give you the strength to run fast thats where im struggling,its not the pace,its the endurance end of it.
    No idea how im going to rectify that but can only do what i can do.
    I still aim to break 80 mins in december and somewhere along the line 36 mins will be beaten in the 10k also...
    Best of luck in Berlin,stay off the biscuits and the fags

The past week :

After the half last week i decided to rest up,partly due to the injury but more importantly the fact that the last 6 months have ben littered with mediocre performances.
    Any times i aspired to alluded me race after race...you cant keep going on like that,i was not going to improve so i have decided to recover.
    I ran 3m last tuesday to try out the leg,no ill effects thankfully but i was only jogging lightly.
    On wed i ran 6m a bit faster and only felt a slight discomfort after the run so not bad at all.
    I then ran 3m yesterday morning on grass real slow and i was fine so after that i decided to run the Munster Exress 10k this morning...not race...run...the head was playing games with me yesterday telling me to race but only the fact that i was working late last night and only got out at 4am...thankfully made me just run and not race.
    I got up at 11:10 this morning and had a slice of toast and headed down to the RSC for the 12:00 start,great buzz down there with 700+ people ready for the 10k slog through the city with heavy winds in sections for company.
    I started off nice and easy for the first 2m and moved through a few places the next 2 tough miles,steadied the ship on the downhill sections,opting just to maintain pace rather than try make up any time,so went through 5m just under 31 mins and was met with the wall of howling winds for the last mile and a bit,i was clipping that mile at 6:11p and was fine at that,delighted that i didnt have to chase down a time in those winds,finished the race in 38:57 but the race was long,everyone had from 6.32m to 6.36m as the distance so i reckon around 38:20 for the 10k which i was happy with considering i just ran and slowed during the tough sections.
    So another recovery week this week...20m max and then i will make a decision next weekend if i take a 3rd or not.
    It was nice to go to a race and just run,i enjoyed every minute of it.
    Over and out for another week....

hey sosa, nothing wrong with a few weeks break, be jsut what the running dr. ordered!....maybe i should remind you not to race the 10 in oct and just concentrate on the half in dec.....10m wont knock too much out of you but it shouldnt be your goal and a long tempo run of 7-8m would be prefect in the build up to the half but you would need to be diciplined to back off for the last 2-3m(or first 2-3m).

wow no post in 10 days...thats some type of record...but it was needed.
    Since th enational half dissapointment i have ran a grand total of 58m in 18 days ( id say Krusty has that done since the w/e :D ).
    I got back into it today.

Intervals 6*800

Enjoyed this today,i had not run since Saturday and was itching to get back into it.

1.5m warm up down to the park

6*800 @ 5:24,5:21,5:20,5:19,5:17,5:20
    w/2 mins rec

1.5m cool down back up home

Happy with the splits,not sure heading down that i would manage sub 5:30p,next week i will do 8 reps.
    This is only week one of my prep for the half in December.
    Training is not going to be regular,im going to be missing sessions and mileage will not be great but i will do what i can.
    Im running in the St Senans XC this Sunday,the club are outting in a team,i'll treat it like a fast tempo,its only 4m so i should get through it.

Jaysus i was knackered last night after the intervals,fell asleep on the couch at 10...stumbled up the stairs around 11,didnt wake until 8:20...phone ringing,wife calling from work to make sure i got up to get the big fella into school as i didnt stir in the bed when she showered and had the hair dryer on beside me....and to add to that none of the lads woke either ( no,i didnt have them down doing intervals with me..... )
    managed to get him into school on time some how....
    mental

after all that looking forward to my lunch time run when i drop the child over to my mothers.....

Just looked back over my training and it was mid june since i did any fast intervals,they had been tailored for the half since then....knock the sh!t out of ya

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good stuff Sosa. When you can hit those paces in the first intervals you've done in three months, you're in good stead (I'm doing similar times at the moment at the peak of my training).... and I've only run 26 miles so far this week. :p

Aerobic

The legs were a bit heavy today after the intervals yesterday evening but got through it and enjoyed it immensely.....night out tonight so maybe no running tomorrow,we will see how the body is.

9m @ 7:13p

I have suddenly got lazy with my posts since the national half,after the few weeks lower than usual mileage i am back into it this week.
    I did a nice 8.5m out country roads monday at 7:05p and it was very enjoyable...spotted some nice big juicy blackberries on bushes out there,untouched...will be brining the big fella out there to pick them soon and the OH will be making a nice blackberry and apple tart out of them ( she does not know that yet ! )

Today i did 10 miles at 6:49p over my new route which goes out the dunmore road,up past ballygunner church,all the way over to the tramore road from there and back in the link road,nice few hills enroute and nearly 7m is countryside which is nice.
    Felt really strong today even though i am just off nights and it was fairly blustery in stretches...hopefully the break will have recharged me.
    I will either do the 800's tomorrow or Friday,hopefully tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yesterday : Recovery 5.5m

I was tired after the 10m wednesday,delayed reaction from nights,felkt great the tuesday running,but crashed afterwards,so decided on a recovery run instead of the intervals.
    Tipped along nicely at 7:37p...

Today : Tempo

Had to rejig the w/e's running as the big fella has a hurling blitz in the morning so i will be at that,decided to run today instead,only gap was about 3:30....lashing rain...i mean torrential,puddles of rain everywhere...and very windy instretches but it was my only option so embraced it.

1m easy
    4m Tempo @ 6:15,5:59,5:50 and 5:48 - 23:52
    4m easy
    Total 9m @ 6:53p

Went for the tempo,gonna alternate the intervals and tempos.
    It was very windy the first mile and the rain was actually hurting me it was so hard but got going then.
    Next week 8*800 and the following week 5m tempo

Advertisement