Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Sosa. I hope you tear up your PB. The 5 mile will be perfect as a good tempo session between now and the 10k, so you'll be set up perfectly. I hope I can follow your example (albeit a bit slower).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Med Long

Its been a long time since i ran 10+ miles straight....i have been doing 10/11 mile runs incorporating my intervals but thats all stop start...April 2nd was the last time and before that was Feb 6th....so that tells you the lack of miles i have been doing....and with the national half in 12 weeks i had better start doing more of these.
    The run itself was lovely,from home down town oast all the tall ships and stalls/markets,city council out cleaning up the place,droves of people walking along enjoy in the south east sunshine...if i didnt know better i would have thought it was on the continent.....really enjoyable week down these parts...more today now and we got a babysitter for tonight so we will be in around strolling around all the music stages and food and beer tents...:D

12m @ 7:17p ...i wont say it was easy either...legs we a touch stiff when i got home but a nice stretch sorted that,plenty of walking later will be my recovery.

Recovery

No plans to run today but late in the evening the oppurtunity to get 40m done for the week which are very few and extremely far between so i got out for a slow 4...enjoyable...still toasty at 8:30...fantastic weather.

4m @ 8:05p

Pre Race Intervals - 10/7/4

I am going to have to reduce the pace or duration of these as they are tough going...with only 2 mins jog recovery,your running 21 mins of 10k pace in 27 mins...not that easy on a windy Monday night all on your lonesome...i wonder should i keep them up pre race or reduce them a bit.....what do ye think ?

2.5m warm up @ 7:17p

10 mins @ 5:42p
    2 mins jog rec
    7 mins @ 5:42p
    2 mins jog rec
    4 mins @ 5:43p
    2 mins jog rec

3.23m Home @ 8:10p

10m Total........a good effort for a monday.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I wouldn't be a fan of them....physically, they can't have any benefit less than a week from the race. Mentally, they seem to say to you 'Jaysus, 10k pace is tough...how will I do 35min of this'

Maybe the 200's instead? Or a great workout I was doing with club was 30/30/30....30sec fast, 30sec jog, 30 times. Is only 15min of fast running but you really feel it but you recover from session quick and it gives you a sense of speed that makes 10k pace seem easier come race day. The fast pace was 4:30-5:00 pace.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of them....physically, they can't have any benefit less than a week from the race. Mentally, they seem to say to you 'Jaysus, 10k pace is tough...how will I do 35min of this'

Maybe the 200's instead? Or a great workout I was doing with club was 30/30/30....30sec fast, 30sec jog, 30 times. Is only 15min of fast running but you really feel it but you recover from session quick and it gives you a sense of speed that makes 10k pace seem easier come race day. The fast pace was 4:30-5:00 pace.

Yeah,i think i'll scrap them the week of a race...i was actually thinking of the 200's...that 30/30/30 is like the 24*200 i did last week...easy recovery after those,i feel what i did tonight akes it toll,even though the race is Friday night...still a bit excessive.

How is training going for you ?
    anything coming up ?...you coming down for the national half ?

Sosa wrote: »
    How is training going for you ?
    anything coming up ?...you coming down for the national half ?

Might come down for the half but will be a last minute decision - have started training for Dublin marathon so should be in half shape alright around then.

Missed a post there during the week....On Wednesday i ran into work and home...no heroics.
    3.5m either way @ 7:37p and 7:12p

Tonight :
    GSK5 - 29:01 :confused:

Not a race to remember...worked myself up for it as i wanted a good performance tonight...but it didnt happen.
    Felt grand going up...felt positive...ready to go.
    Mile 1 - 5:23...that was planned as its a fast mile...
    Mile 2 - 5:43...slowed a touch but happy enough
    Mile 3 - 6:10...the wheels came off...tank running low...stuck in 3rd gear
    Mile 4 - 5:56...really tough at this stage...knew PB was gone
    Mile 5 - 5:48...upped it a bit but the will was gone...

I was grand at the end...but at best all i could have got out of that tonight was maybe 28:45/50 if i pushed to the limit...no interest in doing that to myself when my time was gone.

anyway,no point crying over spilt milk....back on the bike next Friday where i will break 36...if it kills me.

Recovery

Just a handy short one to loosen out the legs...hope to get 13/14 done in the morning

3.5m @ 8:03p

Med Long

A wonderful morning for a run...met up with one of the lads from the club and we did the national half route...something i never do,just he said it to me at the race Friday and i was running anyway so thought,why not...glad i did as it was over before we knew it...chatted all the way round,i was tired the first 4m but came round and enjoyed the rest.

13.1m @ 7:08p ( 1:33:30 )

It was comfortable company as we are at the same level,only a few seconds apart either way in races...and we both raced friday so we were in agreement that there would be no heroics.

• Advertisement

Intervals (on grass)

A nice session today,i have scrapped my 10/7/4 sessions on race week as i feel they are taking to much out of me...so i met up with a few clubmates to do these on the pitches next to the RSC.
    Session was :

1.25m warm up
    2km @ 5:37p
    300m jog rec
    200m @ 4:40p
    4 mins jog recovery
    2km @ 5:36p
    300m jog rec
    200m @ 4:39p
    4 mins jog recovery
    2km @ 5:35p
    300m jog rec
    200m @ 3:53p
    1.25m warm down

8m Total

These fely very "manageable" after the last few weeks of the McMillan long intervals...very happy at the finish...could have done more...its been a while since i felt like that,feeling very sluggish the last month or so,i have been completing all my key sessions but only just and not recovering well afterwards...
    Roll on Friday !

Aerobic/Recovery

Somewhere inbetween this morning....out with the birds at 7:30...glorious sunshine,shades on and everything...what it would be like to have this for 3 months a year....
    I started off around 7:15p but quickly decided that that was a bit pacy after last nights intervals...so clipped along for the rest of the way.
    I may do 2/3m tomorrow night and that will be it until the race Friday..
    Roll on

8m @ 7:27p

Aerobic/Recovery

Somewhere inbetween this morning....out with the birds at 7:30...glorious sunshine,shades on and everything...what it would be like to have this for 3 months a year....

Was out running this morning at that time myself - can't beat it.

Your session from yesterday evening still looks a little hard to me for a race on friday - its still about 21min of fast running and really not too unlike the 10-7-4 session - actually it looks tougher? I like the 200m reps though - I think anything at 5k or 3k pace is probably good as it will make 10k pace seem easier come race day.

Best of luck on Friday - I think your legs were dead for the 5mile last week and you'll be a bit fresher now for the 10k so will do good.

I'm back in marathon training and I have to say, I prefer it to the shorter stuff - I think for the shorter stuff you have to be a lot more precise in your training & sessions whereas the marathon training is something you can attack with a bit more of a blunt instrument - miles & lots of them work great.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Was out running this morning at that time myself - can't beat it.

Your session from yesterday evening still looks a little hard to me for a race on friday - its still about 21min of fast running and really not too unlike the 10-7-4 session - actually it looks tougher? I like the 200m reps though - I think anything at 5k or 3k pace is probably good as it will make 10k pace seem easier come race day.

Best of luck on Friday - I think your legs were dead for the 5mile last week and you'll be a bit fresher now for the 10k so will do good.

I'm back in marathon training and I have to say, I prefer it to the shorter stuff - I think for the shorter stuff you have to be a lot more precise in your training & sessions whereas the marathon training is something you can attack with a bit more of a blunt instrument - miles & lots of them work great.

Didnt even think of that tbh...the 10/7/4 was 21 mins at 5:40/45ish...last night the 2k reps were all between 6:50 and 6:55 so the guts of 21 mins there also...they were around 5:37/8 pace...which was faster but somehow felt way more manageable,maybe because i had company,but probably because the recovery was key...we had a 300m jog before the 200m sprints and then 4mins recovery as opposed to the 2 measly mins i was giving myself last week.
    I agree the shorter stuff is tough to train for...next week i start 7 weeks of prep for the half in Sept...so will slow a bit but still loads of hmp runs...will train for sub 6:00 pace but i will honestly be happy with sub 80 when the time comes depending on how well the next 7 weeks go for me.
    Thinking of doing the Frank Duffy on August 20th...would i be mad 2 weeks out ? only a pipe dream at the minute,but still with a 10am start i would be home by 2 at the latest i reckon.

Thinking of doing the Frank Duffy on August 20th...would i be mad 2 weeks out ? only a pipe dream at the minute,but still with a 10am start i would be home by 2 at the latest i reckon.

The rule of thumb I always go by is 10 days recovery per mile raced so the Frank Duffy would be out of your system by the time of the National HM - in fact, I think a 10 mile race would be a good 'end' to HM training and leave you in good shape for the HM.

Piltown 10k - 36:38

Another lacklustre performance tonight...i even approached it differently...gone was the fast start...thought i would keep it steady for the first 2 and then push on...didnt happen...3rd and 5th miles killed me....recovered a bit in the last 1.2m to get 36:38 tbh...at one stage i was thinking it was going to be 37+.
    There is no reason why i cannot get under 36 mins...if i can run 5:38p for a 5m back in late May and 5:42p on a hillish 5m in June...how the hell can i only manage 5:53p tonight ? no reason...just not getting it done.
    Thats 2 bad races in a row now.....
    It will hopefully make the half in September all the sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Piltown 10k - 36:38

Another lacklustre performance tonight...i even approached it differently...gone was the fast start...thought i would keep it steady for the first 2 and then push on...didnt happen...3rd and 5th miles killed me....recovered a bit in the last 1.2m to get 36:38 tbh...at one stage i was thinking it was going to be 37+.
    There is no reason why i cannot get under 36 mins...if i can run 5:38p for a 5m back in late May and 5:42p on a hillish 5m in June...how the hell can i only manage 5:53p tonight ? no reason...just not getting it done.
    Thats 2 bad races in a row now.....

don't beat yourself up about it too much Sosa.
    It's still a solid enough performance, and you know yourself that you have a lot more in the tank. You'll be well under 36mins.

I find my best results come when I run more relaxed rather than try to push it, unfortunately that normally happens because I have no faith that I can run wel due to an illness or layoff and go into the race with a 'devil may care' attitude. :rolleyes:

Not what your hard work deserved Sosa. Would you not sign up for another one and have another pop? Without the PB pressure, you'd hit the right numbers.

Not what your hard work deserved Sosa. Would you not sign up for another one and have another pop? Without the PB pressure, you'd hit the right numbers.

My next potential race is my own on Aug 7th...and it s a 10k also,but if i dont get enough volunteers i wont be running that...i'll get there some day.

Aerobic

No run since the race friday night,partly because i felt i needed a break and partly because i was working all w/e and when i wasn't i was watching the golf...so got out today for a spritely jaunt.
    Fairly windy out there,made th elast couple of miles interesting.
    Half training starts in earnest this week...2 key sessions a week for the next 7 weeks and sub 80 ( hopefully ) will be mine.
    This weeks key sessions are 4*1.5m @ hmp w/400 rec and then on Sunday 15m with something in the middle or end of that to keep me occupied

7m @ 7:02p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Your deffo better than 36 mins Sosa, you just had an off day. As you said, you can hit the 5 30's in other races. Your time is still respectable and really not far from sub 36. My strategy these days is to hang on to someone for dear life thats going a tasty pace or if i see someone up ahead, to try and close the gap as much as possible.. It seems to work for me!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Your deffo better than 36 mins Sosa, you just had an off day. As you said, you can hit the 5 30's in other races. Your time is still respectable and really not far from sub 36. My strategy these days is to hang on to someone for dear life thats going a tasty pace or if i see someone up ahead, to try and close the gap as much as possible.. It seems to work for me!

Ah i'll get there smmoore...i have no doubt...just have to wait a little longer than planned....

Long Intervals ( 3*1.5m )

I had researched half marathon training ideas and of the 3/4 i read i came up with bits out of all them....
    This was one session i liked,it said 3*1.5m but i was going to do 4*1.5m tonight but changed my mind today as i dont want be killing nyself early on this as i am not the freshest at the moment and i dont want to make myself any worse so just stuck with the 3*1.5m for tonight,will do 4*1.5m in 2/3 weeks alright.
    Plan was hmp which for 79:59 is 6:06p but i want to do them at sub 6:00 pace as i am 80% giong up for the Frank Duffy 2 weeks before the half and will want a sub 60 up there....sub 59:37 would be the icing on the cake !
    Enjoyable session and could have rattled out the 4th rep as i felt better as each rep went on.

1.5m warm up
    3*1.5m @ 6:01,5:57 and 5:56 pace
    400m jog rec inbetween
    2.25m trot home

9m Total

Plan was hmp which for 79:59 is 6:06p but i want to do them at sub 6:00 pace as i am 80% giong up for the Frank Duffy 2 weeks before the half and will want a sub 60 up there....sub 59:37 would be the icing on the cake !
    Cool. I'm signed up too and will be aiming for a similar goal (missed the sub-60 by two seconds last year). Must look out for you before the race.

Cool. I'm signed up too and will be aiming for a similar goal (missed the sub-60 by two seconds last year). Must look out for you before the race.

If i am there i cannot imagine to many others waiting around in the royal blue club singlet...give us a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

If i am there i cannot imagine to many others waiting around in the royal blue club singlet...give us a shout

i fancy a 3some that day...............:D:D

i fancy a 3some that day...............:D:D

sounds good VR ....

Med Long

The golden mile is on down the track tonight,its been on the last 2 weeks also but i had races both friday nights so missed out and just today i thought to my self what benefit was a sub5 mile tonight to what i want in the half in Sept ?
    No benefit was the answer...so i went off a did a fast 10 on my own...nice country rolling hills to encounter and i felt strong all the way...i used to rattle out these type of runs last year preparing for Cork ( not quite as fast but a good steady pace ) and i feel thats what could be missing from my training...
    Easy in and out of work romorrow before a tasty 15 Sunday morning...

10m @ 6:36p

Double Recovery Run
    2*3.5m @ 8:02 and 8:12p

In and out of work today,the legs were very heavy from tuesdays Intervals and yesterday 10 miler.
    I promised myself that i was going to cut back on the hard sessions for a while...just one fast workout and a long run with somethhing at the end or middle...already this week i have churned out a 10 miler that was to fast,my problem is that im not recovering fast enough after sessions,its probably since i started the mcmillan 10k workouts,i did all those every week along with a seperate interval session each week...obviously way to much and it has caught up on me...at the end of May i ran that fast 5m time...28:13...since then i had a really hard fought 28:30 for 5m...and then the last 2 weeks have been really dissapointing...could not keep my planned pace up for further that 3m each night...that i now know is a culmination of 2 hard interval sessions a week for 8 weeks,along with races and all other of lifes pleasures that pop up....i have finally after 4 years got a little burned out...so from next week and the following 6 leading up to the national half,i will be doing one long interval type session a week and one long run ( at a good steady pace with some hmp thrown in there in some shape or form ) the rest will be easy running....
    That kind of approach stood to me for Cork last year...
    My main objective is to feel fresh again while still training for a goal race.
    Yesterday i posted that that type of fast 10m was missing from my training...but at the time i was delighted to get that done on a whim...today the legs are like lead and feel like i ran 20m yesterday...

Note to oneself...start getting smart again or risk getting nothing out of the year

• Advertisement

Tempo

Since my last post i have been sick,thats twice now in 5 weeks i have been sick....i generally dont get run down so this has to be telling me something....i was also working all weekend so wasnt easy....
    I started coming around yesterday and felt much better today when i got up so i initially planned on not running today either...but as the day went on i got itchy feet and finally took the plunge and got out the door just after 8 tonight...did 1.5m easy and stopped and reset the watch and off i went at sub 6:00p,the idea was one mile at a time and stop when i felt it was getting to much.
    I ended up churning out 5m in 29:51...the first 4 relatively easy and the last one was a bit tougher but manageable.
    delighted to get that done tonight,a few easy runs up to Sat when i wll do a 15 miler...hope i am on the road to recovery.

1.5m @ 7:29p
    5m @ 5:58p ( 29:51 )
    1.5m @ 8:52p ( uphill )

Advertisement