Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good race, should spur you on to attack times more often that just settle for the origional target, no?

ie 3k tomorrow - target sub10mins....why not race it to the best of your ability, as gringo says 9:45 or somethong - can do another anytime if you feel you could have ran better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks lads...will be going for it tomorrow morning alright,no idea how it will go...but really looking forward to it.

Waterford County Championships

Really enjoyed myself down there today,Friday night took its toll as the day went on but happy none the less.
    Got down there at 11 and i was told the 3000m was starting in a half hour,grand i thought,warmed upon the pitches where we do our speed training and got ready to toe the line...
    the target was sub 10 minimum and anything else was a bonus...legs didnt feel like pushing the boat out to early so was happy to clip along for the first 4 laps just staying on target...upped it a bit the last 2 laps but was happy with my time considering i had the PB attempt friday night...
    Clocked 9:53 and i know i can run sub 9:45 at least...another day for that.
    Got a silver medal for my efforts....
    Then i did a stupid thing...ran the 200m...and it nearly killed me...i was in lane 4 and took an age to get up out of the starting position...by the time i took 4 strides,lane 2 and 3 were already past me...got going after 50m or so and did well in the last 100 to close the gap on a few that got away early on me...got a bronze in that....some how....3rd senior...there were masters in with us.
    Legs were wobbling big time after that...regretted doing it as i had the 800 coming up in about 20 mins...another bit of a warm up and toed the line....again....would have been happy with 2:20...managed 2:17 so was happy considering the days events...would fancy maybe 2:12 if i didnt do the 200....not a good idea.
    All in all a good weekend that started with the good run friday night and finsihed off with the track running today...oh yeah...the silver in the 3k makes it sound like a good thing...there was only 2 seniors running :D...you can only race whats there...not my fault....:D

Todays 3k has seen me finally ticking all the boxes of Racing Flats Big 8....happy days
    The-Big-8
    1 mile in 5 min 4:58
    3k in 10 min 9:53
    5k in 20 min 17:45
    5 mile in 30 min 28:13
    10k in 40 min 36:16
    10 mile in 1 hour 59:37
    half in 90 min 83:37
    marathon in 3 hour 2:59:29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Damn,didn't realise it was short as i pb'd by 1 minute.I thought it was exactly the same as the last 2 years starting and finishing points although i thought my last mile was a bit fast :confused:

hawkwing wrote: »
    Damn,didn't realise it was short as i pb'd by 1 minute.I thought it was exactly the same as the last 2 years starting and finishing points although i thought my last mile was a bit fast :confused:

Yeah,its a bitch when they are short...how hard can it be ?

• Advertisement

Recovery

The legs were in ribbons today...if i ever needed a short slow run,it was today...didnt do mch for me though as they are still very stiff.....lower legs are fine....the hamstrings are strained and main problem is the stiffness in hip flexors....thats where i get the soreness,not injured or anything,just need a few days to get over the rigours of that 200m...bad decision to run that...then the 800 didnt help a half hour later.

3.1m @ 8:01p

Intervals

Decided to go down tonight as i doubted i would all day,but probably subconciously knew i would...you know how it works.....
    same session as last week
    800,90s rest,400,90s rest *4
    800's were done just under 2:40...all of them 2:38/2:39
    400's were from 80s to 75s...a bit ragged.
    Held back on all reps tonight as the legs are still stiff,happy to get it done

Went off then after that with a different group and did 5.5m nice and slow 7:43p...rest day tomorrow...maybe 4/5 on Thursday and another rest day friday should see me right.
    Plan then is to start my 8wk 10k program Sat morning with 6*1m @ 10k pace.....:eek: oh the joys of it !

Aerobic

The hamstrings are still not back to normal....could feel them walking around work today,getting better but very surprised that 4 days later i can feel the remains of that 200 metres on Sunday...4 days after cork last year i could feel no strains or pains...and that was 26.2m ? ...amazing what a short race can do to you when your not training for it.

Tonight run was all about trying to get the legs loosened out to hopefully do my first McMillan 10k workout on Saturday morning...6*1m ...we will see how i am tomorrow and saturday morning before making a decision.

6m @ 6:55p

Long Intervals - 1st of 7 McMillan 10k Workouts

Only after thursday nights run did i feel my legs coming back to normal,so i was tentative about getting this done this morning,but a rest day yesterday and a good nights sleep and i was ready to give it a go....
    Headed to the park for these as its flat but it was very windy on the court house side so was tough going there,delighted to get it done...

2k warm up
    6*1m @ 5:29p,5:42,5:42,5:42,5:40,5:40
    3 mins jog recovery inbetween
    1k warm down

Time was at a premium as i had the big fella going hurling,i would have liked a longer warm up and down...but i got the big stuff done

10m Total

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sosa wrote: »
    2k warm up
    Nicely done Sosa. I took nearly 4 mins between reps, and needed them. You're in solid shape.

• Advertisement

Nicely done Sosa. I took nearly 4 mins between reps, and needed them. You're in solid shape.

These type of sessions are great for building confidence,im delighted how i coped with it,i could have done another couple or reduced the recovery...happy days.
    2 weeks time now is the 1*2m and 4*1m....bring it on...400's next week,but i'll be doing the club intervals session on Tuesday first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Long Intervals - 1st of 7 McMillan 10k Workouts

Only after thursday nights run did i feel my legs coming back to normal,so i was tentative about getting this done this morning,but a rest day yesterday and a good nights sleep and i was ready to give it a go....
    Headed to the park for these as its flat but it was very windy on the court house side so was tough going there,delighted to get it done...

2k warm up
    1k warm down

Time was at a premium as i had the big fella going hurling,i would have liked a longer warm up and down...but i got the big stuff done

10m Total

Nice going. Have the 3x2mile done so we'll see after tomorrows 10k if they are good predictor workouts

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Nice going. Have the 3x2mile done so we'll see after tomorrows 10k if they are good predictor workouts

I forgot you were racing tomorrow...best of luck with it

Recovery

An unexpected run today,usually between nights i give it a miss...but got to bed earlier this morningthan usual and when i got up the house was empty...cue...get the gear on and out the door before they arrive back...

6.4m @ 7:40p

How did you get on today Gringo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Howdy - is the National Half on the same course as the Waterford Half?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Howdy - is the National Half on the same course as the Waterford Half?

I am presuming so beepbeep...it was in 2008 when we had it,actually it was after the success of the national half that the club decided to hold their own half...are you travelling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I am presuming so beepbeep...it was in 2008 when we had it,actually it was after the success of the national half that the club decided to hold their own half...are you travelling ?

Reckon I can rustle a dozen or so together, it starts opp where I used to live.

Recovery

An unexpected run today,usually between nights i give it a miss...but got to bed earlier this morningthan usual and when i got up the house was empty...cue...get the gear on and out the door before they arrive back...

6.4m @ 7:40p

How did you get on today Gringo ?

36:47 - well outside target of 34:xx but was(am) battling a virus so time targets went out the window before race started. First 3k in 10:01 and a 17:24 5km PB at halfway may suggest I took it out a little hard and even though fell off pace after that, I'm actually delighted at 5:55pace given I was sick. 10k PB also.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    36:47 - well outside target of 34:xx but was(am) battling a virus so time targets went out the window before race started. First 3k in 10:01 and a 17:24 5km PB at halfway may suggest I took it out a little hard and even though fell off pace after that, I'm actually delighted at 5:55pace given I was sick. 10k PB also.

Thats a fast first few k alright...you went for it anyway....
    you seem to be always battling some sort of virus/sickness around race weekends...very bad luck...whats next ? another 10k sometime soon

Thats a fast first few k alright...you went for it anyway....
    you seem to be always battling some sort of virus/sickness around race weekends...very bad luck...whats next ? another 10k sometime soon

Yep, was hit similarly at Ballycotton....my only 2 A races this year.
    5k either tomorrow evening or wednesday evening. I think I'll go for tomorrow evenings one as the legs feel fine after yesterday and temperature is almost gone. 2 options for tomorrow - claregalway or Enfield...Enfield seems to have a higher quality field so i think I'll go for that, more chance of sub 17. Don't know of another 10k I can get to this summer so that might have been my only chance of sub 35 gone.

• Advertisement

Aerobic

Tired today as my weeks work ended this morning...but got out for a nice run before dinner....

5m @ 6:53p

Aerobic w/4m steady state

Steady state are the new buzz words i will be using in the lead up to the national half,according to McMillan they are a continuos run at marathon pace with easy miles either side,they are designed to tire you out with the distance of the run,not a heavy breathing exercise ( that went out the window tonight as i trudged up those hills ) and as im not doing a marathon this year,im going with 6:28p as that just sub 2:50 ( where i would like to be if running one this year )...

I left the RSC with a group,ran 3 easy miles with them and then off i went on my merry way,plenty of wind tonight and plenty of hills,so i earned the pace i ran the 4 steady state at....1.5m easy afterwards

8.5m Total
    3 easy
    4 @ 6:12p ( to fast for these types of runs,i got caught up in attacking the hills and didnt really let up when i got to the top...will be keeping these to 6:25ish in future because they will be going up to 10m )
    1.5 easy
    6:44p Overall

Intervals

Tough going today,not a day for it but had to be done as I have a physio appointment tonight for a much needed rub,rest day tomorrow after thatm

Session was 8x600 w\90s rest
    Pace for reps were 5:05,5:09,5:10,5:19,5:10,5:12,5:07 and 5:05
    Found these really tough,the wind was killing me,on my own aswell which is always harder.
    Its done now anyway,just have that “massage“ to look forward to tonight.

Total 6m

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Savage pace Sosa. Can't believe I was whining about doing 400s at 5:20/mile, with similar recovery. You really have a knack for the faster stuff. Enjoy the 'massage'!

Savage pace Sosa. Can't believe I was whining about doing 400s at 5:20/mile, with similar recovery. You really have a knack for the faster stuff. Enjoy the 'massage'![/QUOTE

I was hoping to keep them closer to 5:00 but the wind kicked that into touch,I have the 400's to do on Sunday.....looking forward to it

Took a rest day yesterday after the rub wednesday night...i was a bit tender....back to it this morning with a casual early trot into work...legs heavu but they always are at that hour...happy to get in...
    Thought i would be looser on the way home but i wasn't...still very heavy and i picked the long way home to get a few miles in and the wind was in my face the whole way home....lovely

Into Work - 3.5m @ 7:44p
    Home 6.5m @ 7:21p

Handy 10 for the day.....rest again tomorrow followed by the second of 8 McMilan 10k wokouts on Sunday morning ...12*400's

Intervals - McMillan 10k Workout (2nd of 8) 12*400

The child gave us a lie in this morning so i didnt get out early as planned,we headed to the beach for a walk with the kids then around 11:30 so i decided to run home from there,not ideal doing 400's in the tramore road into a headwind but i had no choice....

2m warm up @ 7:06p
    12*400 @ 5:18,5:31,5:32,5:20,5:27,5:26,
    5:15,5:21,5:12,5:17,5:11,5:00 Pace
    w/40s recovery jog inbetween
    2m warm down @ 7:56p

8m Total

Tough going into that headwind coninuously and the 40s was not enough really,should have been a minute...i miscalculated that one when uploading from the garmin training centre...its all good

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Sosa long time reader ( or should I say admirer ) of ur training log... I c uve run a couple of marathons in the past and as someone who enjoys marathon training much more than the shorter stuff im just wondering if there's another marathon planned for u in the medium future...

Ur pace for the shorter stuff is savage and with ur previous marathon experiences this could lead to a very fast marathon time...

Regards Liam

liamo123 wrote: »
    Sosa long time reader ( or should I say admirer ) of ur training log... I c uve run a couple of marathons in the past and as someone who enjoys marathon training much more than the shorter stuff im just wondering if there's another marathon planned for u in the medium future...

Ur pace for the shorter stuff is savage and with ur previous marathon experiences this could lead to a very fast marathon time...

Regards Liam

No Liamo...no marathon for me this year....maybe next year all going well.
    I am doing the national half in September,thats my target race of the year

• Advertisement

No Liamo...no marathon for me this year....maybe next year all going well.
    I am doing the national half in September,thats my target race of the year

Not tempted to do the waterford marathon? Is it definitly going ahead?

Advertisement