Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Recovery & badly in need of Recovery

4 slow miles this morning,yesterdays 15 was not that clever,tough enough route and i had not planned to run that fast,it just sort of happened.
    The problem was i knew i had this basketball game today,it was our 10yr reunion of winning the superleague ( national league of ireland )..so that involved a game and drinks afterwards looking back at some tv footage...well as usual when i go back to basketball, i push a bit too much,still think i am a youngfella...thats the problem...legs a bit sore now and overall very tired,its the lateral movement thats the killer,i can run in a straight line all day.... and to add to that marathon training starts tomorrow...looks like a rest day unless i make a miraculous recovery.

4m @ 8:04p
    1hr Basketball @ way too much intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

did u do the 5k today? iam gone for now dont no how long i will be out for yet ,i should not have run the masters and am paying for it now :mad: you are clocking up the miles nicely now and are going well keep it going and best of luck

jimbo21 wrote: »
    did u do the 5k today? iam gone for now dont no how long i will be out for yet ,i should not have run the masters and am paying for it now :mad: you are clocking up the miles nicely now and are going well keep it going and best of luck

No didnt get to do it,we had a communion mass for the big fella.

Marathon Training....

Right,at the start of the year i decided to do the WVM as its the first hometown marathon down here but was not running well,i set myself a target of 12 weeks of 40m a week and a few races to get myself ready to tackle 12/13 weeks of specific marathon training to run a half decent time come June 30th..well Jan/Feb and March went great,i reckon i was even ahead of schedule heading into this week and then i did a stupid thing,pushed a bit hard at the basketball game the w/e and have only managed a slow,uncomfortable 5m last night,i thought i wa ready to run but my groin was acting up and because of it i will not run today at best maybe not this week,i will try another 5 tomorrow if i feel i can manage it but in earnest week 1 of 13 is a wipeout...not a good start,and to add to that i pulled a muscle in my neck/shoulder while stretching when i got out of the bed this morning,just heard a crunch and thought...thats not good...i have to turn my body around to look either way,this has happened before,that will take a day or 2 or 3 to go away fully so i may just draw a line under week 1 :o

Long

After last weeks miserable return of miles i ran 3 more today than the whole of last week !
    A made up run of country lanes and hills,a nice test for my first long run.
    The plan was 7:30p all the way but found myself running closer to 7:00 quite a bit,had to consciously hold back...got to 16 and started to struggle,it was a long time since my small breakfast and i was running on empty.Last 2 miles were slow...7:44 and 7:52,not ideal but mile 18 was up 2 killer hills and at that stage i had nothing left.
    Got through it thankfully and hopefully it gets easier from here.

18m @ 7:16p

• Advertisement

Recovery

The legs were tired from yesterdays long run,and i am glad they were really because i ran it faster than planned and struggled the last 2m because of it....i was a bit surprised though because i had done 3*15's in the previous 4 weeks @ 7:00p and felt good so i just presumed that adding 3 more on to that while running slower would be very managable but i suppose those runs were only 1hr 45 and yesterday was 2:11...thats a big jump minutes wise.
    One thing that i really practiced well for my last marathon was holding back on the long runs,alwyas feeling the need to run faster but not giving in until i was finishing with my 4/5 @ pmp at the tail end of the run.
    I will have to get back to that.
    Todays run was a slow,uncomfortable trot in nice spring weather though...so there was some positives.

6m @ 7:47p

Aerobic

The plan was to run into and home from work today but tbh im still cream crackered from the 18 on Monday and thought i would give the return leg a miss today and just run before work,that would give me a rest before my intervals on Friday morning.
    I am going to miss some runs during the lead up to WVM but i will get my 2 key workouts done each week (somehow)

4m @ 7:32p

Tempo

The week was potentially going away from me but i got a great session in today,just as my window of oppurtunity was arriving i sensed a darkness coming over the house,had a look outside and knew i was going to get soaked but didnt care,i was looking forward to my run today.
    Off i went with the intention of 4 tempo miles but just after my first tempo mile we got a downpour of the hailstones from the artic...holy sh!t they were like a million needles prodding me every second,had that for at least half a mile but had to stop to take cover.
    I was pi$$ed off that i did stop but didnt have much choice really,about 2/3 mins passed and off i went again in normal heavy rain...no more hailstones
    After that i decided to do 5m because i had a break but ended up doing 6 and felt great for the last 3...its not 6 straight,more like 1.2 and 4.8 but none the less a good strong workout that was as comfortable as i could have hoped for.
    Onwards and upwards....

2m easy
    6m in 35:40
    5:59,5:57,5:55,5:57,5:57,5:55
    2m recovery

10m in 67:02 ( 6:42p )

Aerobic

A nice run this morning,got caught in a down pour again but it was a relaxed leisurely pace after yesterdays tempo and a good start to the day.Thats 45 for the week,i may run a 5m recovery tomorrow to get the 50 but may not as i plan my lsr for Monday...we will see how i feel.

7m @ 7:28p

Yesterday - Recovery

Decided to run the 5m yesterday to take me over the 50m threshold for the week...slow run and tbh not much interest in running it any faster.

5m @ 7:59p

Long

Well,i made up for my slow run yesterday with a humdinger today,always planned to do 18 but not really all that went with it.
    the wind was making me doubt doing anything uptempo as part of it and tbh the first 3 "easy" miles were tough going as the wind was not my friend but persevered and got through a real good session today.

3m @ 7:33,7:16,7:45
    4m @ 6:41,6:34,6:28,6:29
    1m @ 7:10
    4m @ 6:34,6:32,6;23,6:24
    1m @ 7:15
    4m @ 6:21,6:30,6;23,6:27
    1m @ 7:13

18m @ 6:47p ( 2:02:06 )

The wind was tough in most parts and when i got away from it for a while the pace picked up,i had to reign myself in at times knowing i still had a good few miles to get through and wanted to finish strong today unlike last weeks effort.
    Really happy with this,felt good all the way...feel really tired now though !

• Advertisement
Advertisement