Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Aerobic

A nice day for it and a nice easy run to set me nicely for tomorrow.
    No heroics.

5m @ 7:09p

Best of luck Sosa tomorrow....I'll be interested to see how you do on such a fast course. There's a placebo effect to thinking a course is fast also which drives you on even more...its like you look at the watch, see you're going well into PB territory and instead of reining it in unneccessarily you think, its because the course is fast and set a really good time. That PB from last year was prob your performance of the year. I'm gonna be racing tomorrow also, really looking forward to it as its been so long since I've raced in ok shape. (July last year!) Course not as fast a Kilmac but I think its a course that'll suit me and there'll be plenty of competition at sub 29 so won't be running on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sosa tomorrow....I'll be interested to see how you do on such a fast course. There's a placebo effect to thinking a course is fast also which drives you on even more...its like you look at the watch, see you're going well into PB territory and instead of reining it in unneccessarily you think, its because the course is fast and set a really good time. That PB from last year was prob your performance of the year. I'm gonna be racing tomorrow also, really looking forward to it as its been so long since I've raced in ok shape. (July last year!) Course not as fast a Kilmac but I think its a course that'll suit me and there'll be plenty of competition at sub 29 so won't be running on my own.

Best of luck to you aswell gringo...let me know how you got on.
    The 22:18 i did in the 4m down here was 5:35p and that was way faster than i thought i could run at the time,cannot imagine running faster than that this year but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

All the best tomorrow Sosa, looking forward to the report!

Gringo, see you in Carrigaline in the morning, I won't be joining ya for 29min though, bring back your log I say!!

tisnotover wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow Sosa, looking forward to the report!

Gringo, see you in Carrigaline in the morning, I won't be joining ya for 29min though, bring back your log I say!!

Nothing like a bit of pressure lads...no hiding from it...im trying to beat 28:24...but honestly that PB along with my 4m were seriously good days last year,i will do well to top those.
    My 10k of 36:16 though,will go next week,they were the same consecutive weekends last year also,but i ran way to hard inbetween them,wont be doing that this year

Kilmac 5 - 28:27

Just 3s off my PB but it felt like more than that,that was tough going today.
    Conditions were not ideal,fairly strong headwind on uphill stretch of M2 that didnt help,even the "easy" stretch on the main road wasnt that easy today with the swirling cross winds.
    At 3m i though all was gone as i clocked 17:20 going through...but M4 was the 2nd easiest mile after the downhill start,got a bit back there before the last push.
    Turned for home and i saw the clock just turn 28:07 and went for it,it was a long way down from there and i could not have gone any faster than i did...happy with my time considering the wind.
    A nice 11th place on the day,the last hill back into Kilmac i was passed by a fella and i could not catch him,not for the want of trying...
    A pity i didnt get a PB today but it will have to wait for another day.

All roads lead to the 10k next week...easy week running,not many miles at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

strong run today sosa, hard luck on the pb, but maybe a more favourable day, summer series in cork and lods of other 5m around....no worries there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good running sosa, I just checked the results against 2010 and times are way slower than last year and most of those around you seem to have dropped way more time than you. Winner dropped nearly 10" a mile. So your 3" reflects good progress. Good luck next week.

asimonov wrote: »
    Good running sosa, I just checked the results against 2010 and times are way slower than last year and most of those around you seem to have dropped way more time than you. Winner dropped nearly 10" a mile. So your 3" reflects good progress. Good luck next week.

Didnt realise that,last years day was perfect,i remember it well...today was harder alright,but i know im running better this year,just about setting a time now.
    Heres hoping the winds die down for the 10k next Sunday,will you make an appearance yourself ?

Very nice running Sosa, don't worry about the time, your training is showing you've better times out there for sure. The weather def wasn't with you today.

Very nice running Sosa, don't worry about the time, your training is showing you've better times out there for sure. The weather def wasn't with you today.

Thanks tno,just checked the results...why is it that everytime i check results i am a second out.
    Maybe im stopping the watch a bit early ...i dont know

28:28 Official...28:27 by my watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Sosa. Great to see you forging onwards this year (and no doubt a solid PB would've been yours without the wind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Heres hoping the winds die down for the 10k next Sunday,will you make an appearance yourself ?

fingers crossed it will; no i'm running more cross country for my sins...:)

asimonov wrote: »
    fingers crossed it will; no i'm running more cross country for my sins...:)

Your a martyr for the XC,its not my cup of tea

Great running Sosa, the wind can be a huge factor especially when you're not running in a pack and are really exposed to the elements so you can take that time as an indicator you're in great shape for next week.
    I'm gonna be racing tomorrow also, really looking forward to it as its been so long since I've raced in ok shape. (July last year!) Course not as fast a Kilmac but I think its a course that'll suit me and there'll be plenty of competition at sub 29 so won't be running on my own.

Well, I called that well wrong....the course suited mountain goats, definetly didn't suit me. The hills were longer and tougher than I thought and even though I was on sub 29 pace at halfway I knew I was going to stuggle to break 30 so was happy I finished with 29:53 (like you my watch showed faster so I must have started it late or stopped it early). Clubmates reckoned the course was a minute slower than others on the day, so I think I am in good shape for breaking 60 for 10 in 2 weeks time as I felt comfortable on the flat at sub 6min pace.....twas the rime I lost on the hills got me yesterday.

Great running Sosa, the wind can be a huge factor especially when you're not running in a pack and are really exposed to the elements so you can take that time as an indicator you're in great shape for next week.

Well, I called that well wrong....the course suited mountain goats, definetly didn't suit me. The hills were longer and tougher than I thought and even though I was on sub 29 pace at halfway I knew I was going to stuggle to break 30 so was happy I finished with 29:53 (like you my watch showed faster so I must have started it late or stopped it early). Clubmates reckoned the course was a minute slower than others on the day, so I think I am in good shape for breaking 60 for 10 in 2 weeks time as I felt comfortable on the flat at sub 6min pace.....twas the rime I lost on the hills got me yesterday.

Well done Gringo,we all need a tough hilly race every now and then,i think it helps up appreciate the flatter routes when they come along.
    Theres one down in Dungarvan mid April...the Marine Climb...its a 6m with the majotity of it uphill,i have avoided it so far...i might give it a go this year.

Aerobic

Dirty,Dark,Wet and Windy day for it....but enjoyable none the less.
    Thers something about a light drizzle thats very refreshing.
    I was tired after Sundays efforts so gave yesterday a miss,usually i would do an 8:00 paced run the day after a race but with work yesterday i would have had to run in and home,that didnt appeal to me at all.
    Todays route is an old favourite that i have not ran in some time for some unknown reason,out past ballygunner out the country lanes,a nice challenging quiet route that i will be going on soon again,i must try extend this run to 10m as 8.5 is neither here nor there for me,i usually go 5/6 or 10 really.

8.5m @ 7:13p

I decided yesterday that im going to start some core work,i have never done any before and as the mileage has been cut back i should really do something with the time i have at home.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be benificial to me...i.e websites or the like,i would appreciate it.

-Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

If ya have a copy of P and D advance marathoning, there is a decent advanced core workout in it. 6 different exercises x 2 reps. Its doin the job for me and has helped me recover from injury..

smmoore79 wrote: »
    If ya have a copy of P and D advance marathoning, there is a decent advanced core workout in it. 6 different exercises x 2 reps. Its doin the job for me and has helped me recover from injury..

I have that book somewhere in the house,i used it for my ill fated attempt at DCM09...will find it tomorrow and start them...thanks

Aerobic

Just off nights,wet,windy,dark and miserable...not the ingredients for an enjoyable run but it had to get done so off i went nice and easy.
    It was a kind of makey uppey route as i ran through 3 usual routes and kept turning corners that i usually pass by.
    I usually run by effort,today was easy effort and easy today was 7:27...usually easy is sub 7:00-7:10...i am tired today.
    Rest tomorrow again and an easy 5 Saturday before PB attempt on Sunday.

8m @ 7:27p

Aerobic

Decided to run tonight as tomorrow might be awkward so with that in mind it was a faster that what was planned for tomorrow.
    Bombed the first 2m in less than 13 mins...had to reign it in at that stage...coasted home after that.

Roll on Sunday.

5m @ 6:54p

• Advertisement

Dungarvan 10k - 36:45

After breaking 60 in the 10m late January,i thought i would have a fair chance of 2 more pb's the last 2 weeks,last weeks was always going to be tough as it was a fast time but this weeks 36:16 should have been beaten today but i didnt get it done.
    Lots of reasons why,but the main one is i didnt run fast enough...basically.
    The legs were like lead and i could not get them going.
    After last years kilmac 5 i ran 50m the week after it leading up to this race last year,lots of those miles were hard running and after running 36:16 i really felt if did less miles i would have broke 36...so that was the plan this year...i ran only 21m since last sunday...all easy..and i could not get the legs going.
    Preperation was poor also as i left late,got to the registration at 10:25...no-one there...wrong place...drove to where another race had HQ before...no-one there...last place to try now was the HQ for the 10m...3rd time lucky...time was now 10:35...got my number and Q'd for the toilet...it was 10:45 before i got to the car...pinned on my number and legged it the half mile to the start..got there just before 11 but the race was delayed 10 mins...no good to me though as i didnt get anything decent done beforehand
    I am someone who need a good warm up....at least 2m with strides...and if i have time i like to do a mile or so before i even drive to the race.
    Anyway excuses over with....not a good day,will have to plan another 10k into the schedule to have a proper go at sub 36.
    On a positive we won the team prize ( winning a nice few of these lately ) so all is not lost !

also met Aero2k again...he travelled down from the capital...nice meeting you aero...it was tough enough today,plenty of wind on mile 1 and 5&6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Don't beat yourself up too much about this one Sosa. You'll smash it next time out. With the prep you had (or hadn't) you were up against it from the word go.

Had an equally frustrating day at the office !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hard luck Sosa, luckily it really is 10k season. There's loads of them coming up now. Even I have my eye on a couple of 10k's to get the legs into gear.

Good stuff Sosa, I know it wasn't a PB, but some very solid running all same. Those races where u feel u could have run better give ya the hunger and focus for the next one. Your training is indicating much faster times available like.

Well done on the team prize though! :)

Good stuff Sosa, I know it wasn't a PB, but some very solid running all same. Those races where u feel u could have run better give ya the hunger and focus for the next one. Your training is indicating much faster times available like.

Well done on the team prize though! :)

Ah yeah,expectations have risen a bit tno,thats all...wanted 2 more PB's the last 2 weeks,didnt happen,so be it.

Its a long summer !

Ah yeah,expectations have risen a bit tno,thats all...wanted 2 more PB's the last 2 weeks,didnt happen,so be it.

Its a long summer !

Twas a good time all the same....reading Aero's log, wind was a factor. You were coming off a night shift also....I've done plenty of night shifts in my time and I wouldn't underestimate what it does to you as your sleep pattern is really disrupted by it.

Twas a good time all the same....reading Aero's log, wind was a factor. You were coming off a night shift also....I've done plenty of night shifts in my time and I wouldn't underestimate what it does to you as your sleep pattern is really disrupted by it.

Yeah,but i come of nights at some stage every week...thats just part and parcel of it now.
    I put it down to the lack of warm up...i felt stiff all the way,couldnt stride out properly.
    10k is not my favourite distance anyway,dont run to many in the year,so i usually try get a pb at that one so i dont have to worry about it for the rest of the year,i'll have to pencil in another one now :mad:

Loads of miles today....

Recovery
    6am - 4m into work at 7:59p,as fast as the legs could muster at that ungodly hour.

Intervals
    2m from work to the track at 7:21p

[EMAIL="8*600@5:06,5:00,4:59,5:01,5:00,4:58,5:01,4:57"]8*600 at 5:06,5:00,4:59,5:01,5:00,4:58,5:01,4:57[/EMAIL] Pace
    w/90s jog,walk recovery inbetween.
    Found the first 2 tough,but the last 6 easier,the last one i was flying it.
    2 of the lads ahead of me,34:30 10k men...so i was happy to let them away but not to far ahead.

Then we did 6*150 ...all under 25s...that was 3 laps of the track intotal,150...jog,walk to next spot 150...that was one lap...we did that 3 times.
    Felt great at these...all around 4:20/4:30p

2 laps with the lads for a chat afterwards,then i got the backpack on and headed for home...
    Met a few pals of mine heading off from the track for there midweek jaunt so tagged along with them into town,they headed up through town and i turned off at Muldoons and headed up the hills to home.

13m Total today varying from 4:20p to 9:00p...great days running.

Jaysus,down the arse end of page 4...have not run since Tuesdays intervals unfortunately.
    So got up today at lunch time ( off nights )...and managed a spritely 10m around 4pm in perfect calm spring weather,absolutely fantastic.

Aerobic 10m

Out of the blocks a bit fast with 2 sub 6:30 miles...tailed it back a touch then after that to finish handy,could have done 5/6 more of those today...i felt good.

10m @ 6:46p

Theres a 6k race up in the new WIT campus tomorrow at 2pm,i had no plans to go there but just as an experiment i might.
    Before last weeks 10k i did very little running,very little drink and as much sleep as i could get.
    Tomorrow i might go to this off nights,after todays 10,double burger and chips just there,and 4/5 cans tonight just to see how i would get on,for the laugh

• Advertisement

WIT / WAC 6k - 21:17 ( 5:42 Pace )

Decided to go ahead with my little experiment today,only decided at 1pm to actually race,left the house at 1:15,10 mins over,park the car,jog to registration...back to the car to get ready...4k warm up and i was good to go.
    The route itself was a 2 lap circuit riddled with hills,3 tough climbs each lap...with a bit of downhill and flat after that.
    Ran steady all the way and my last 2k were my fastest ( 5:31p and 5:28p ),one lap was about 6:20p as the full k was up and up and up,so nothing i could do about that.
    Didnt even let loose on the last 2k,just steady...should have went a bit more but hindsight is a great thing.
    Snagged the team prize again....happy days.

I think today taught me that i need to run hard in the lead up to a race...the week before the 10k last week was way to easy and i paid for it...i didnt even feel yesterday 10m in the legs.

Advertisement