Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

aero2k wrote: »
    Great running Sosa, I had no doubt you'd do it.

A few weeks ago I was hoping to join you on a sub-60 attack, but due to a whole lot of stuff I was grateful just to make it to the start line and ran a handy enough 61:21 after fading over the last two miles.

I was looking out for you at the finish - must have missed you in the crowd.

Might have a think about the Dungarvan 10k - I'll see how I'm fixed.

Thanks Aero...you should try get down for the 10k...its another good race by WWAC

Intervals

Went down tonight and did the club session,the usual 2 fellas that i do them with with picked up little niggles at the w/e so i went down with the masses instead...much prefer just the 3 of us going at it....

2m down @ 7:20p

400m @ 5:05p
    1min rec
    800m @ 5:30p
    2min rec
    1200m @ 5:37p
    3min rec
    1200m @ 5:29p
    2min rec
    800m @ 5:15p
    1min rec
    400m @ 4:20p

2m home @ 8:19p

7m Total

Took it handy on all of them bar the last 400 where i pushed hard for the last 300 of that.
    Enjoyed them but its much tougher with the 2 usual lads...they push the pace...which is great.

Just heard tonight that they are having a mile race on the track Friday night @ 6:00 ...im working but might finish early and have another crack at it...4:58 last Sept...i would be looking to improve on that if i do it.
    See how i am the next couple of days....

Aerobic

Had planned to do 10 this morning but was stiff as a board getting out of bed,i would have done 10 later in the day when i loosened out but after the school drop was the only time i was getting out today so went with it.

Really slow first 2m...then got going a bit and by the end was fine...i am in 2 minds about this mile race tomorrow night,i feel tired...but i dont think im risking injury or anythin like that by racing it,will make up my mind before i go to bed as i will be running into and from work if i dont.

8.2m @ 7:19p

Didnt do the mile last night,got stuck in work.
    No harm though as the weather was awful and the race is still in the legs from last Sunday no doubt.

Hope to get 12/13 done tomorrow and a good week next week,then i will be ready to have a go at the Kilmac 5 and Dungarvan 10k the following week.

I am toying with the idea of doing the Dublin half on Sept 17th ....
    I need a long term goal...few questions :
    • What time does it usually start ?
    • How many entries ?
    • What the parking like ?
    • Is it worth my while driving up from waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Sosa wrote: »
    Didnt do the mile last night,got stuck in work.
    No harm though as the weather was awful and the race is still in the legs from last Sunday no doubt.

Hope to get 12/13 done tomorrow and a good week next week,then i will be ready to have a go at the Kilmac 5 and Dungarvan 10k the following week.

I am toying with the idea of doing the Dublin half on Sept 17th ....

I need a long term goal...few questions :
    • What time does it usually start ?
    • How many entries ?
    • What the parking like ?
    • Is it worth my while driving up from waterford ?

the cork half marathon will be on a week earlier, might be less hassel to do that event....starts at 11, 610 finishers last year (22 sub80's - 3.6%), parking is no bother, and it would be worth you while driving as not really that far.

it appears that 5742 finished dublin last year (71 sub80's -1.2%).

dublin would be faster, but if its a sub80 your after then you would get that in either race no bother, you will loose about 1 min on the hill in cork no matter what you do. Cork (Blarney) Half-Marathon check out kilo 8-10.

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    the cork half marathon will be on a week earlier, might be less hassel to do that event....starts at 11, 610 finishers last year (22 sub80's - 3.6%), parking is no bother, and it would be worth you while driving as not really that far.

it appears that 5742 finished dublin last year (71 sub80's -1.2%).

dublin would be faster, but if its a sub80 your after then you would get that in either race no bother, you will loose about 1 min on the hill in cork no matter what you do. Cork (Blarney) Half-Marathon check out kilo 8-10.

Yeah i was looking at that possibility also seany but with the way my shifts are,i am on nights that w/e.
    The following week for the dublin half i am on days so would only need one day off...
    also we have our own 10k on the 11th in the city thats why i have never done the blarney half before,its always on the same day

Med Long

An awful morning for running,the wind was as hard if not harder than the day of the half.
    I ran the majority of the route this morning and it was fairly blustery,i was getting blown all over the place.
    The first 6m were not enjoyable at all but as soon as i turned the corner (same one in the half) i had the wind on my back all the way home and it was a welcome feeling.
    I was real slow up to the turn but clipped home nicely from there.

12.7m @ 7:14p

32.4 for the week,would have been 40 only i got delayed in work on friday...
    Definitely 40+ next week...the following 2 weeks after that are potential PB races so want a good lead into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

I don't mind heat or cold, rain or snow, but I hate the wind when I'm running!

There's a great pic of you on the WW AC website on the finishing straight in Dungarvan - I think it's on page 6 of part 2.

There's a great pic of you on the WW AC website on the finishing straight in Dungarvan - I think it's on page 6 of part 2.

Thanks aero...first one i am looking at the clock...second one im trying to must up a fist pump...relieved that it was over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

there is also a handsome fella in the background...lol

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    there is also a handsome fella in the background...lol

I spotted ya seany !

Recovery

An unexpected run today,i was up earlier than usual after last night in work so got a handy one in to wake me up.
    Intervals at the track tomorrow :D

4.4m @ 7:28p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Thanks aero...first one i am looking at the clock...second one im trying to must up a fist pump...relieved that it was over

No aeroplanes??? I'm disappointed

Gringo78 wrote: »
    No aeroplanes??? I'm disappointed

No....no aeroplanes this time :D....didnt think of it...but it wouldnt be right...i was just as happy though...its the highlight of any race i have competed in.

With the sub 60 in the bag,i now have to get a fast half to get my sub 80.
    I am seriously thinking of doing the Wexford half again this year,its a completely different route,allegedly the flattest half in the country...thats on May 22nd....and then i might do the Dublin Half in the Phoenix Park on Sat Sept 17th ( see what all the fuss is about up there )
    After Dungarvan theres no hiding from the fact that i have to break 80 in my next half,but knowing me if i broke 80 in Wexford i'd leave Dublin and wait until our own half in December.
    Nice to have a few choices.
    A marathon looks highly unlikely for me this year.

Intervals

Really wasnt feeling it tonight,feeding the child looking at out the howling winds and heavy rain,the last thing i wanted was to get the gear on,but as usual before i kinew it i was out the door.

2m down to the track @ 6:43,7:01

600m @ 5:05p
    90s rest
    1200 @ 5:21p
    3 mins rest
    1200 @ 5:26p
    3 mins rest
    1200 @ 5:27p
    3 mins rest
    600m @ 5:09p

2m back up the hills at 8:02p

7m total @ varied pace

Initially i wasnt happy with the pace but realistically the weather was atrocious,really windy on one side of the track,so all in all happy to get it done

With the sub 60 in the bag,i now have to get a fast half to get my sub 80.
    I am seriously thinking of doing the Wexford half again this year,its a completely different route,allegedly the flattest half in the country...thats on May 22nd....and then i might do the Dublin Half in the Phoenix Park on Sat Sept 17th ( see what all the fuss is about up there )
    After Dungarvan theres no hiding from the fact that i have to break 80 in my next half,but knowing me if i broke 80 in Wexford i'd leave Dublin and wait until our own half in December.
    Nice to have a few choices.
    A marathon looks highly unlikely for me this year.

Would you not just leave the half until december? You've said yourself, you can't commit to the bigger miles this year and in the run up to the waterford half you were constantly worried about missing your medium-long runs. Why not just concentrate on the 10k & under races for the next 6 months and get the pace up. sub 80 would be a soft target for you in 9 months time so why go for it in a few months time when your training style will not really suit it? You are putting in some great sessions on the track, really dropping the pace down so I think you get set some fast 3k/5k/5mile/10k times and really enjoy your running rather than worrying about getting the long runs in at the weekend.

Just my 2 cents. I'm aiming for the 10 miles in ballycotton and then mallow and am happily hitting 12 miles medium run each week so am enjoying my running, feel good about my training. However, if I was aiming for a HM I'd be looking for a 15 mile run and I wouldn't get the time to do that every week and that would suddenly turn my running into something less enjoyable....my weekly mileage would be prob the same but my whole outlook on how my training was going would be much more negative all for the sake of 3 miles tagged on at the end of a long run and a HM target instead of a 10 miler.

Would you not just leave the half until december? You've said yourself, you can't commit to the bigger miles this year and in the run up to the waterford half you were constantly worried about missing your medium-long runs. Why not just concentrate on the 10k & under races for the next 6 months and get the pace up. sub 80 would be a soft target for you in 9 months time so why go for it in a few months time when your training style will not really suit it? You are putting in some great sessions on the track, really dropping the pace down so I think you get set some fast 3k/5k/5mile/10k times and really enjoy your running rather than worrying about getting the long runs in at the weekend.

Just my 2 cents. I'm aiming for the 10 miles in ballycotton and then mallow and am happily hitting 12 miles medium run each week so am enjoying my running, feel good about my training. However, if I was aiming for a HM I'd be looking for a 15 mile run and I wouldn't get the time to do that every week and that would suddenly turn my running into something less enjoyable....my weekly mileage would be prob the same but my whole outlook on how my training was going would be much more negative all for the sake of 3 miles tagged on at the end of a long run and a HM target instead of a 10 miler.

I hear you gringo but the thing is i feel i could run sub 80 now.
    If i can break 60 mins for 10 on small mileage and very little medium long runs i can surely break 80,i just want to get it done.
    Thats why i would like to do it soon ( thinking Wexford Half May 22nd ) to get that one done and then target the Waterford Half in December.
    I also have this idea of going up for the Dublin half...

Im really enjoying the track lately,there are a few of us around the same level so we pull each other along.I can still feel the race in my legs though,didnt hit the right pace last night,but hopefully better next week.
    The plan is 3 hard sessions this week ...intervals yesterday...12 steady enough tomorrow and a hilly race Saturday that im using as a tempo,i will be happy with 29:59.

2 PB's hopefully getting updated the following 2 weeks then,i will be tapering for both those races,so very little mileage around those 2 weeks.

Recovery / Aerobic

Dirty day out there again but not a patch on the fun we had at the track last night,just a stroll after the school drop.

4.6m @ 7:28p

Aerobic

I had planned 12/13 but yet again came unstuck,this time work related...happy to get a nice paced shorter one done though.
    Felt good all the way,i purposely picked a hilly route also,i need to do more hill work.

9m @ 6:44p

Anne Valley Dunhill 5m - 30:37 ( Tempo )

Really was not feeling it today,work christmas night out on Thursday (didnt get out over the festivities ) still in the system...the legs were like jelly during the warm up...
    The plan all week was just under 30 mins anyway as i was never racing it.
    Mile 1 and 5 were the fastest...the 3 in the middle were tough windy,hilly miles...happy with the outcome and finished strong with plenty in the tank at the end.

The next 2 weeks are big PB attempts for me so i made the right decision not to push hard today.

• Advertisement

Aerobic

A fantastic morning for running,crisp and dry....perfect.
    The legs were a bit tender yesterday from the race/tempo on Saturday so didnt want to do to much with the two races coming up the next two w/e's.
    Settled for a nice hilly route at a nice clip.

7.5m @ 6:41p

10/7/4 Long Intervals

I was calling this a tempo session all along but on the way down to the track this morning i realised that they were actually long intervals.
    BeepBeep put me on to this a while back as a pre race session,ideally for me 5 days beforehand but could not do it yesterday.
    I ran them hard today and thats the way they should be.
    Decided on the track also as i didnt want to be weaving in and out of people in the park and heaving in there ears as i go by...ran them in lane 8,a bit of a headwind at times but enjoyable none the less

2m down to the track @ 7:04p

10 mins @ 5:35p
    2min walk/complete rest
    7mins @ 5:29p
    2min walk/complete rest
    4mins @ 5:34p
    2 mins walk/complete rest
    4.1m total

2m home,up the hills i came down @ 8:05p

Really happy with the pace today,it was tough but manageable.

10/7/4 Long Intervals

I was calling this a tempo session all along but on the way down to the track this morning i realised that they were actually long intervals.
    BeepBeep put me on to this a while back as a pre race session,ideally for me 5 days beforehand but could not do it yesterday.
    I ran them hard today and thats the way they should be.
    Decided on the track also as i didnt want to be weaving in and out of people in the park and heaving in there ears as i go by...ran them in lane 8,a bit of a headwind at times but enjoyable none the less

2m down to the track @ 7:04p

10 mins @ 5:35p
    2min walk/complete rest
    7mins @ 5:29p
    2min walk/complete rest
    4mins @ 5:34p
    2 mins walk/complete rest
    4.1m total

2m home,up the hills i came down @ 8:05p

Really happy with the pace today,it was tough but manageable.

What's the pace? 4 mile pace? Might try that session at the track this evening

What's the pace? 4 mile pace? Might try that session at the track this evening

5:35p is my 4m race PB...but i try do it at the pace that i hope to race at (so it depends on the race i have that w/e)...28:24 is my PB for 5m,thats 5:40p...i didnt think going down that i would do that tbh,but i just got going and went faster than planed,not bothered about that,would be if i was slower.
    thats probably the fastest i would do them at though,you could not really be planning a 5k race of sub 17 mins at the w/e and running 21 mins of that pace a few days before...
    A while back it was hurting to do that session at 5:50p ave...

5:35p is my 4m race PB...but i try do it at the pace that i hope to race at (so it depends on the race i have that w/e)...28:24 is my PB for 5m,thats 5:40p...i didnt think going down that i would do that tbh,but i just got going and went faster than planed,not bothered about that,would be if i was slower.
    thats probably the fastest i would do them at though,you could not really be planning a 5k race of sub 17 mins at the w/e and running 21 mins of that pace a few days before...

5 mile planned race pace then....looks like you'll smash that PB and the 28min barrier at the weekend then.

I'm hoping to race 5 miles sunday but will prob be just aiming for sub 29 on a difficult course rather than the easy setups ye seem to have in waterford:D....so maybe 5:45 pace for me then tonight. I've a bit of work to do before heading down waterford way to take you on.....Maybe 10k in Youghal in late May, its almost neutral ground right on the Cork/waterford border...

5 mile planned race pace then....looks like you'll smash that PB and the 28min barrier at the weekend then.

I'm hoping to race 5 miles sunday but will prob be just aiming for sub 29 on a difficult course rather than the easy setups ye seem to have in waterford:D....so maybe 5:45 pace for me then tonight. I've a bit of work to do before heading down waterford way to take you on.....Maybe 10k in Youghal in late May, its almost neutral ground right on the Cork/waterford border...

That 28:24 i ran last year is going to be real hard to beat,the closest i have got is 28:39 and a few 28:5x,one of those being the ballycotton 5 last year,that felt like a PB that night...its one thing doing it for 10/7/4 with rest inbetween than doing it for 28 straight.
    That race has been on my radar but its alway the day after the
    Portlaw 5 down these parts..where i ran the 28:39...another good course

I struggled to do the 10/7/4 session at 5:50p last night at the track. Good session. After 2 miles cooldown the local tri club showed up for training and said I could jump in on their session so my competive streak got the better of me and I did a 5x1km session...a first rep at 5:00p had me thinking I won't last too much longer but my apprehension was short lived as pacing did not seem to be a strong point of theirs so I ended up having to lead out the second rep to keep the pace honest and the lads had pretty much blown up after 2 reps so i ended up doing the remaining 3 on my own. Enjoyed it though, the track is great for getting pace into the legs.

I'm very impressed with your 10/7/4 session now after my own attempts

I struggled to do the 10/7/4 session at 5:50p last night at the track. Good session. After 2 miles cooldown the local tri club showed up for training and said I could jump in on their session so my competive streak got the better of me and I did a 5x1km session...a first rep at 5:00p had me thinking I won't last too much longer but my apprehension was short lived as pacing did not seem to be a strong point of theirs so I ended up having to lead out the second rep to keep the pace honest and the lads had pretty much blown up after 2 reps so i ended up doing the remaining 3 on my own. Enjoyed it though, the track is great for getting pace into the legs.

I'm very impressed with your 10/7/4 session now after my own attempts

Yesterday was by far the fastest i have run it,although its been a while since i did that particular session,before the dungarvan 10 i did shorter intervals with a few of the club lads.
    Its a great session that i may do other weeks even if i dont have a race coming up.

Recovery

A nice leisurely stroll after the school drop this morning.
    Legs were tired after yesterdays efforts and i want to try rest up as much as possible for the race Sunday morning.

4.5m @ 7:47p

• Advertisement

Aerobic

A nice day for it and a nice easy run to set me nicely for tomorrow.
    No heroics.

5m @ 7:09p

Advertisement