Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Competition Closed] Win a stay with dinner at Dublin's 5 Star Shelbourne Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

I throughly enjoy the Sunday lunch set menu in Rolys in Ballsbridge.
    Its been a few years since i was last there, but the food was always perfect and excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Had a scan through a few pages and haven't seen it mentioned, to my surprise - my favourite restaurant in Dublin is Saba on Clarendon St - great food & cocktails, buzzy atmosphere and great service. Been there loads of times in the last couple of years. Only problem is that it is getting harder to book a table at weekends, so much for the recession :)

http://www.sabadublin.com/

c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The Lord Edward seafood restaurant and Nicos on Dame Street, real old skool.

For a cheap alternative Madina on Mary Street Dublin.
    Traditional Desi curries, real home cooked Indian and Pakistani food.

The real deal and excellent value. Alcohol free beer and wine, no booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I like Annies in Sundays Well in Cork,

lovely little gastro-pub, with a nice atmosphere and great food.
    Have some pretty interesting options on the menu, which is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

favourite hotel in Galway is the Radisson. Great for a weekend stop over, great value, great location, resident's bar is relaxed and they do a great buffet lunch that always includes some nice fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The Milford Inn, in Milford Donegal has the most awesome food.
    Been there for several weddings seriously probably the best beef in the country.
    Definately a place to stop off if you are around that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

The 5***** Kinsley Hotel Cork is one of my favourites. For a 5 star they have the right balance of service without been in your face. Rooms are luxurious and food is superb !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really like Jaiper on Georges street in Dublin city center. Tasty Indian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭trellheim

Chapter One , Parnell Square. Head and shoulders above every restaurant in Ireland. peerless service and food.

Expensive. Worth every penny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Ely Wine Bar on Ely Place in Dublin 2.

Great, relaxed atmosphere with great food, cooked to perfection, generous portions and fantastic wine; you'll find the perfect wine to go with whatever you order. Prices are quite reasonable, too, especially considering it's a city centre restaurant.

As was said by a food critic recently: The best thing about the restaurant is its wine list. The worst thing is trying to choose a wine from said wine list. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kala59

Liuggi Malones in Dublin great value and big portions . sorry about spelling:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 enright07

My fav restaurant is Luigi Malones in Cork. The food is consistently delicious aswell as very reasonable prices and special offers. I love to go when its busy as there is a fantastic atmosphere in the place and I always find the staff to be very friendly and efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

My favourite restaurant is Darwins in Dublin. My favourite steak in all of the city, and a great wine list to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fave hotel is the Westin in dublin, reason why? Its the first hotel I stayed in with the missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

Gospoda Polska - Paulus Restaurant
    15 Capel Street, Dublin 1
    http://www.gospodapolska.ie/

It has a beautiful decor, extremely friendly staff and an excellent all around menu. It's also the only restaurant in Dublin that does gourmet quality Polish meals.

The menu has something for everyone, from steak to duck, from fish to aubergine, from pierogi to zurek. They have an early bird, 2 or 3 course options that including a glass of house wine. However, their Polish dishes are my reason for the recommendation.

Their traditional Polish meals are simply exquisite. By the end of my meal I'm ready to pack my bags and head over to Poland to go on a food tasting tour of the country, as each region has a different way of fixing these traditional meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

My favourite restaurant is in Dublin and it's the Bridge Bar and Grill in Grand Canal Quay. I first went there about two years ago when everybody was still eating out regularly. Even then, with the place full to capacity, the service was excellent and the staff extremely friendly and accommodating, way past the point of just being professional. They even recommended a few good places to head to afterwards and called a taxi to get us there just as we were finishing dessert so that we wouldn't be waiting around. And, even though the restaurant was full up, the tables were very well spaced out so you could chat with your friends without having to shout, and move your chair back without knocking the person behind you into their soup!
    The last time I went there was a few months ago. It was nowhere near as busy, which is no reflection on it, but due to the fact that people don’t go out as much as they used to. However, the staff were, if anything, even nicer. Myself and my friend got a free cocktail each with our meal, and when we had finished we went up to the bar to order a drink as we were waiting for a lift, and were given that free too! I didn't know what I wanted so the barman made me a surprise cocktail which was really, really yum!
    The service alone would make it one of my favourite places, but, on top of that, the food is way beyond par. Nobody that I've ever been with has ever been disappointed with what they got. I've had possibly the best steak ever and tried some things I'd never have really thought I'd enjoy such as mussels and tongue!! Gorgeous!!
    Finally, the prices are very reasonable. The last time I was there, a meal for two with starters, mains, dessert and wine (not to mention the free cocktails) worked out at about €100. €50 per person for such a lovely meal in a great setting I think is more than fair. Especially when we were able to chat and have a joke with the staff and stayed there for over three hours!
    It's a really sad sign of the times that such a gem of a restaurant in a lovely location near the docks is not getting the custom it deserves. I'm taking some of my family out for a meal next week and I knew this was the place to bring them. Having checked out their current menu I'm already hungry for their food, and really looking forward to the craic and the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My favourite restaurant is the one at the Bull & Castle Gastropub at Christchurch.
    There are a number of reasons for this.
    Firstly being run by FXB's it is farm to fork for all their meat.
    Secondly it is a true gastro pub and seamlessly combines beer and food. Many of their dishes are made with sauces etc that have beer as an ingredient and every dish has a recommended beer to pair with it.

The service is excellent and the prices are pretty reasonable too. Add to that the hundreds of beer choices, including most of the Irish micro brewery beers and you have somewhere that I am loath to actually leave :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kinara in Clontarf in Dublin.

I think I have a problem I am so addicted to this restaurant, located where the wooden bridge meets the coast road in Clontarf. The food is just fantastic. The staff are excellent and will do their best to accommodate the 'Oh now, I don't really like curry, is it very hot?' brigade (and let's be honest, there's always one).

To describe the food in Kinara as 'curry' would be like saying The Shelbourne provides 'a few beds', or boards.ie provides information - it's so much more than 'curry'. The rice alone is worth taking the short trip out to Clontarf for and you just know if that amount of trouble is being gone to for the rice, then the main dishes will be spectacular.

My own guilty pleasure in Kinara is the Mushroom Bhaji - mushrooms, onions and red chillies in 'a touch of' fresh cream. I suspect it's a touch in the style of a quick touch from Muhammad Ali, but I don't care. I know it's probably five million calories, but gosh it's worth it.

Their €19.95 early bird menu, served 4.30 to 8.00pm Monday to Thursday, is spectacularly good value and their long daily opening hours mean I now have no excuse not to go there at the drop of a hat.

I think I see a hat on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

For a special lunch, I love Tante Zoe's of Crow Street, Dublin. The food is to die for and the lunch menu is fantastic value.

My favourite restaurant however is Darwin's of Aungier Street. The steak is simply melt-in-the-mouth, and the other dishes are superb also. It's a great venue for a special dinner for two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

My favourite place to eat in Dublin has to be Johnny Foxes. The atmosphere is great and the food is abselutely fantastic.

My favourite hotel is the Sheraton in Foto Island. A tad expensive but worth every cent. The first time we stayed there, the first half hour was like a constant " oh my God look at this " etc. In a class of its own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Great prize, thanks Michael

Cactus Jacks in Dublin just at the end of the Millenium Walk is my favorite

Great Mexican food, has upped its service recently and prices are decent

I'm told the Galway one is great too, near the Spanish Arch

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

Gerry's Restaurant, Montague Street, Dublin - Very good value, good varied menu and nice staff

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

I love Roly's restaurant in Ballsbridge. Good service, fantastic food and unbelievable desserts. Definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Pearl Brasserie.

Visited twice. Food & service impeccable both times. Decor tiring a little bit in places, but its a minor quibble when the focus is rightly on the food. It is a great experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fmhickey

my favouite restaurant at the moment has to be alfie's on south william street. 10 euro 3 course lunch menu and 12 euro 3 course early bird with 12 euro 4 course bunch menu, can be beaten and cocktails are 5 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Great competition combining my two favourite things..sleeping and eating:)

My favourite restaurant would be the Town Bar & Grill on Kildare Street. It's a wee bit pricey but worth every penny. I was there last Christmas and had the sundried tomato and goats cheese risotto. It was a meal I'll never forget, absolutely delicious..

My favourite Hotel is the Ritz Carlton in Wicklow. I'd never be able to afford to stay there but was taken with work. It's spectacular in every way. I felt like royalty staying there. Great staff too. Faultless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

My favourite restaurant in Dublin has to be L'Ecrivain. It's just got the perfect mix of fantastic food, great service and a welcoming and buzzing atmosphere. It's perfect for that special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dewie

Without a doubt my favourite is still Bang Cafe over there on Merrion Row (which would be perfect for me if I won the competition!). Opened in 1999, it is still holding it's own in amongst the Patrick Guilbauds and Merrion Hotel around the corner. In fact it is recommended in Michelin and Paulo Tulio Guides.

The BANGers and Mash is totally to die for and they have a variety of seafood dishes, Lamb, Beef etc too. A superb winelist with most of the wines available by the glass, allowing you to experience a different one with each course without going over your credit limit.

It is also the best value around considering the high quality of the food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My favourite restaurant in Galway would have to be Scotties Steakhouse in Terryland. Great food, incredible service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lillies1

My favourite restaurant is Victoria Asian Cuisine in Monkstown. The food is fantastic and they have an "all you can eat" for 25 Euro. Amazing value. The place had a great atmosphere. The service was excellent too and the staff were very friendly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement