Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Competition Closed] Win a stay with dinner at Dublin's 5 Star Shelbourne Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

Thanks for the great competition Michael

So many nice restaurants, hard to pick one, one of my favourites is George's Bistro not so much for the food as for the great heated terrasse, smoking allowed! apparently not many know about it, it's so well heated even on the coldest night you can take your coat off! They have a great wine list, many wines by the glass, and the service is excellent. The menu is fairly modest but if you just want a small meal and/or some lovely wine :-) then its perfect, they do gorgeous cheese platters as well, great for sharing. The terrasse is intimate and romantic and fairly small but I've always got a table. they also had live jazz in the basement the last time I was there (quite some time ago) that I've been meaning to check out.. oh and the Cuban cigars as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

My favourite restauarnt is Luigi Malones in Temple Bar. The staff are lovely and the mean are mouth wateringly delicious. It's a beautiful restaurant. The thing I'd change is I'd have the bathrooms on both floors. I was on crutches the last time I was there. The disabled toilet was being used and it was very difficult to get up and down the stairs but apart from that it's my favourite restaurant for a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

A restaurant I have been to recently in Cork was Scoozies & I could absolultey not fault a thing, great location, staff so friendly, food super & resonable priced, nice outdoor smoking area...In Dublin for a special treat Id have to say peplo's in stephens green, just wonderful... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

I think everyone should try L'Gueuleton in Fade St, had a great date with my boyfriend there. If the queues are big start with a Kir Royale at the bar while you wait for you table. The onion soup is amazing and perfect if you're just popping in for lunch. Its romantic, fun and very french!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 geraldino

dinneenp wrote: »
    My fav is Eastern Tandoori in Cork.
    Hotel has nice decor, staff are friendly, nice athmosphere and great food.
    It's the little things that make a difference- there's little seating area while you're waiting for your table, staff very friendly, low lighting for nice athmosphere...

one of my favourites is The Church, Dublin.
    lovely atmosphere, great food and service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Johehe

My actual favourite Hotel is the Shelbourne, Dublin! My husband and I stayed there when we were first married for a Christmas treat. I loved the Lord Mayors Lounge for coffee and treats. And all the history of the place, its great. The horshoe Bar is quaint and a good pint, so I am informed by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

My favourite hotel in Galway would have to be " The Ardilaun " first because despite being close to the city centre it is so peaceful, it almost feels like a countryside hotel ; but most importantly because it reached a perfect balance between a feeling of luxury and a relaxed athmosphere,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

My favourite hotel in Dublin is also the Shelbourne — sorry, Johehe! — because that's where myself and my wife had our wedding reception, twenty years ago. It is and was a fabulous place, and we have wonderful memories of it. We've never been able to afford to stay there since (come to think of it, we couldn't really afford it back then, either!) but I would dearly love to be able to bring her there for dinner and a night away from home and kids, after I get out of hospital this weekend.

There. Does that have enough "aaaw..." factor? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My favourite place to eat in Cork is Scoozis, always busy and goo atmosphere and the food is great to. Nice city center location if your planning a night out.

Favourite hotel is the Sheraton in Fota, was there for a wedding in August and a christmas party last year, good rooms, modern and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

Favourite Restaurant is easily l'gueuleton on fade st, the food is always of a high standard, the portions are never too small, the have a smallish but very complementary wine list and the staff are very amiable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

My favourite restaurant is Royal Tandoori in Terenure. Not only is the food fantastic and the service excellent - they are a BYO restaurant that doesn't charge corkage. It's restaurant quality food at takeaway prices with the opportunity to drink at off licence prices. You can't beat that when times are tight! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

i always liked toscana´s on dame street. good Italian food good service and a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My favourite hotel in Dublin is the Marine Hotel, Sutton Cross.

Excellent service, family run, great food, great location and regularly tops the polls on Internet travel sites for hotels in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MediaBride

Best restaurant in Dublin has to be The Trocadero !

1. Top class service with staff who have been there for years! (speaks volumes)

2. Fabulous food

3. Excellent value for money, especially the early bird

4. So central

5. Recently refurbed

I could go on & on about it - go on, treat yourself....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

My favourite restaurant in Galway is THE TWELVE in Barna. It is situated on the coast road and they have two restaurants, one for a more formal meal and the other in the bar downstairs. The food is second to none and the service and ambiance is hard to beat. For these dark winter evenings, they have a lovely fire and you are surrounded by lovely couches and bookshelves. A great place to spend a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

I haven't been too a restaurant in a long time but my favourite would be the Purple ocean restaurant in Dun Laoghaire.

Food is divine and quick service.

Waiting staff were lovely.

Its a tad bit expensive but well worth it, also the views of the ocean are incredible!! Plus they have 4 course menu deals to choose from so all in all great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My favorite hotel is the Royal Marine in Dun Laoighaire [before the renovation.]. My father always brought me there for a special treat for afternoon tea when we would visit Dun Laoighaire. I loved the piano in the middle of the room, and locals randomly playing it while others read the paper or just chatted.

It reminded me of another era and is in my favorite part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just due to sheer convienience as I've had to take a few early morning flights - Jury's Inn by Dublin Airport is fantastic!

Very modern hotel, friendly staff and their early bird menu is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Freethinker

My favourite restaurant in dublin is the Chameloen in temple bar, very unusual food and great service at a decent price. I like the shelbourne hotel, bit out of my price range but got treated to a atay once and my god i coukld get used to livin like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

Hi my favourite hotel is The Oriel Hotel in Ballincollig Cork.
    It has a lovely spa, friendly bar and great restaurant.
    The hotel was renovated 2 years ago.
    I also got married there.
    10 min. drive to Cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

My favourite eatery would have to be KC's in Douglas Cork!

The portions are generous and good value
    Their merchandise and interior decoration have a sense of humour about them
    The staff are helpful and efficient
    The queue dissipates quickly
    The King Creole!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best hotel is the Jury's at Croke park, Dublin.

I have no idea about sport so of course I always stay when there isn't a match on. Great deals esp midweek, well worth calling them as they often sweeten the deal.

Food is lovely and homely, rooms are perfect especially the balcony ones.

Underground car park is the cherry on top. Not sure if every one agrees but I always walk into town from there so I call that walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Nimmos is a nice cosy place, with good food. But their are a lot of good places in Galway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnypark

is the G Hotel in Galway. The moment you walk in you feel like they really appreciate you being there. They'll greet you everyday by your name. The restaurant is very good. Great food, good wine list and prompt service. The hotel itself is amazing. The interior is nice and quirky without being pretentious. All in all, a great hotel that you won't want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is Luigi Malones - steak, ribs and wings, what more can a girl ask for!!

Great atmosphere, but more importantly great meat!!!!

Oh, and I'd like to treat my mum to a night away - she deserves and needs one

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

my current favourite is darwins on aungier st in dublin - was there recently and enjoyed it thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

My favourite restaurant in Galway is the Oslo, opposite Seapoint, in Salthill.

I like it because the food is varied (very good vegetarian fare as well as non-vegetarian), very good value, tasty and excellent value.

I also like the massive big tables with the abundance of space all around them, ensuring that one's conversations are private.

I love to spread the newspaper out on the table and eat their "energy green salad" with their lentil dhal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gwydion

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is the Cosy Café in Artane / Donnycarney - ah - the memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

My favourite restaurant in Dublin currently is Acapulco on Georges Street. It brings such an authentic mexican feel to Dublin and the staff are the most friendly and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Les Frere Jacques beats Roly's tawdry and slow service hands down, without the pomposity of l'Ecrivain or the life threatening experience of the oysters in the former Shelbourne (been there, suffered that). Haven’t been back but here’s hoping. For anyone with sense, the best and most affordable food in Dublin at the moment is the real and authentic kebabs served at Istanbul in the epicurean food hall. Presumably the SS Celtic Tiger has sailed and we can now get back to a horseshoe bar full of county councillors up for the day while the rest of us are back where we belong at BK. For Le Meridian to suggest otherwise is pure farce. There’s a review for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement