Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail go for Gately

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Crap column from obnoxious writer but I do find it difficult to understand why a very wealthy young man, with a supposed family history of heart disease, did not get himself checked out to see if he needed to modify his lifestyle or not. Surprised that his insurance company didn't request those tests.

A couple of minor investigations would have shown the health of his heart long before this apparent heart failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

What a useless, fat, vile little woman she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The daily mail is just garbage, and the Oirish edition is just patronisingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Normally I`d expect this sort of tripe from the Sun, although it shouldn`t come as a big surprise that the Daily Mail has decided to officially join ranks with the gutter press. They`ve been heading that way for years.
    However, was just reading this article in the Guardian aswell, so they`re not getting away with it, exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,304 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Mail is only 2nd to the S*n when it comes to a complete scum newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Has heart failure being cited as the cause of death?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

My Dad reads that paper, it's a shocking piece of conservative trash.

I'd say the pressures of being a celebrity is more a factor in these young mens death than being in a civil partnership.

In any case if these are tru
    • Recreational Drugs
    • 6 hour holiday binge
    • 3 some in the flat

So what, all these things are something people do or want to do, it's a tragic loss of life and whatever way he went he certainly wasn't known for mad drug induced benders so maybe it was just a once off or maybe he just had a rare condition like that kid who dropped dead on a soccer pitch a few years back.
    The daily mail is a disgusting rag, avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

dooferoaks wrote: »
    A couple of minor investigations would have shown the health of his heart long before this apparent heart failure.

There are no 100% sure tests for SADS unfortunately. Besides, his lifestyle doesn't seem outrageous: he was out late and night, drank some alcohol and had a spliff some time before. It's not like he was found drunk as a skunk and high on heroine.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Has heart failure being cited as the cause of death?

Well Pulmonary Oedema is listed as cause, heart failure first stage of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The Mail is only 2nd to the S*n when it comes to a complete scum newspaper.

I would put it at the top. At least the Sun is by no means pretentious (It was the Sun wot won it etc.) and it's good for a fap when you're stuck.

The sad thing about the Mail is that thousands of middle-class British households use it as their source of fact and informed opinion. And they have the cheek to print in Ireland (you thought they would have been scared off by the charicatures), only when they see there's money to be had of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Everyone knows that hetrosexual marriages are full of bliss and each day waking up beside your other half only increases your sense of well being. Gay marriages how as ever will get your lungs full of fluid due to the stress that waking up beside someone of the same sex gives you.

Seriously where is the connection between fluid in the lungs and same sex marriage?

I know someone will make the connection and the joke but my point is a serious one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

herya wrote: »
    There are no 100% sure tests for SADS unfortunately. Besides, his lifestyle doesn't seem outrageous: he was out late and night, drank some alcohol and had a spliff some time before. It's not like he was found drunk as a skunk and high on heroine.

I was thinking more about his fitness regime and stressful lifestyle generally, not really his holiday where he died. If there was a known family cardiac history surely him/his insurance company would have gone through every test going.

I was thinking more about his fitness regime and stressful lifestyle generally, not really his holiday where he died. If there was a known family cardiac history surely him/his insurance company would have gone through every test going.

Maybe they have? It's not like he was jetting around the world like Madonna after all... Maybe that's why the family were not surprised by it. Just guessing.

BTW The Mail has changed the title. It's "A strange, lonely and troubling death" now. I hope they start getting some backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The headline has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well Pulmonary Oedema is listed as cause, heart failure first stage of same.

Ok, thanks.
    Was it reported that he choked on his own vomit?
    Is this as a cause or result of pulmonary oedema?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

mike65 wrote: »
    The headline has been changed.

They probably realised they put their foot in it.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.
    Was it reported that he choked on his own vomit?
    Is this as a cause or result of pulmonary oedema?

I think it was only hearsay before the official report. Also one of the symptoms of pulmonary oedema is bloody foaming at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

herya wrote: »
    She does - this is not true from the medical point of view:
    "Healthy and fit 33-year-old men do not just climb into their pyjamas and go to sleep on the sofa, never to wake up again. "
    Numerous fit young people actually keel over and die due to sudden and unprovoked heart failure. To state otherwise and therefore suggest his death is suspicious is just ignorant conspiracy. Especially that it was confirmed officially that he died natural death.

And the whole passage on how a gay partnership is harmful just defies logic. Did she pour her vitriol on straight marriage after Fritzl?

You see its just clever words.
    Because she is actually right about healthy and fit people not suddenly dying - by definition Stephen Gately or anyone else who dies suddenly at 33 wasn't healthy, there was some underlying timebomb in their system which went off.
    They may have been outwardly healthy.

So she hasn't actually lied - she has just managed to subtly imply (without stating it overtly) that his gay lifestyle was something to with his death. Even in so far as to remind us that he died on the sofa whilst his husband was doing unmentionables with another man.

I'll stop now before you think I'm defending the cow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Jan Moir = White trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

But of course we all know that it's a medical fact that being gay means you won't live past 40.

There's no proof for it but it's a fact.

• Advertisement

So she hasn't actually lied - she has just managed to subtly imply (without stating it overtly) that his gay lifestyle was something to with his death. Even in so far as to remind us that he died on the sofa whilst his husband was doing unmentionables with another man.

You're most likely right, and the most sickening aspect is that they must have a solicitor sitting next to her and screening every word with regard to potential legal traps before they publish this thing.

Then they sit back and count our clicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now the ads have all been pulled, the article will be gone before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

What a fupping bitch.Horrible article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Jan Moir insulting the Nolan Sisters weight is quite hypocritical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That cnunt Robbie Williams is still alive..there is no justice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

there is some amount of anti-gay vitriol in that article which sounds like some mid-western american tv evangalist getting his twopence worth in...

but in seriousness 'pulmonary oedema ' is a stage of heart failure but this is due to the amount of pressure put on the organ, if there is fluid on the organ then this would cause pressure which in turn would lead to ''pulmonary oedema'.

Now another question is what was this fluid and how did it get there? alcohol? and why was this 3rd party Gregoroi(or watever) saying it wasnt a natural death?

Strange altogether

but in seriousness 'pulmonary oedema ' is a stage of heart failure but this is due to the amount of pressure put on the organ, if there is fluid on the organ then this would cause pressure which in turn would lead to ''pulmonary oedema'.

Now another question is what was this fluid and how did it get there? alcohol?

No it's the other way round. Normally you have some sort of fluid in your lung walls and other organs which is normally filtered and changed through your system. If your heart starts failing it can't make the fluid circulate properly and it builds up, effectively drowning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

The Mail is a rag and by all accounts Gatley seemed like a good bloke, but you do have to question his death. Yes, fit young people occasionally die due to sudden and unprovoked heart failure, but usually there's an underlying problem such as a heart defect or an abnormal heart valve, didn't seem to be the case with Gately, otherwise I assume this would have been reported.

Pulmonary oedema is typically due to previous cardiovascular disease and it would be very unusual for someone who wasn't sick and Gately was healthy and apparently very fit since he was dancing and performing on stage without any previous symptoms or complaints. Fluid can build up in the lungs for many reasons. This fluid makes it difficult for the lungs to give oxygen to the blood. The low oxygen in the blood and the fluid itself cause symptoms. Another cause is pneumonia, but this too should of had previous symptoms.

Now, fluid can also get onto the lungs via aspirating fluids. This can happen if someone is drunk and aspirates fluids while vomiting or it could also occur other ways!!. Now I know the family want and deserve their privacy, but just throwing out Pulmonary oedema as the cause of death with no other details is also a bit unresponsible since it could send fears and false signals to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

KetchupKid wrote: »
    The Mail is a rag and by all accounts Gatley seemed like a good bloke, but you do have to question his death. Yes, fit young people occasionally die due to sudden and unprovoked heart failure, but usually there's an underlying problem such as a heart defect or an abnormal heart valve, didn't seem to be the case with Gately, otherwise I assume this would have been reported.

Pulmonary oedema is typically due to previous cardiovascular disease and it would be very unusual for someone who wasn't sick and Gately was healthy and apparently very fit since he was dancing and performing on stage without any previous symptoms or complaints. Fluid can build up in the lungs for many reasons. This fluid makes it difficult for the lungs to give oxygen to the blood. The low oxygen in the blood and the fluid itself cause symptoms. Another cause is pneumonia, but this too should of had previous symptoms.

Now, fluid can also get onto the lungs via aspirating fluids. This can happen if someone is drunk and aspirates fluids while vomiting or it could also occur other ways!!. Now I know the family want and deserve their privacy, but just throwing out Pulmonary oedema as the cause of death with no other details is also a bit unresponsible since it could send fears and false signals to many.

I don't really know anyone who is wandering around more afraid of pulmonary oedema than they were before. Most people haven't a clue what it is, and from my limited experience, they care that Gateley is dead, and not particularly what from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

it has just been revealed that he at least smoked cannabis on the night he died.

This made me laugh.
    He probably drank some really strong espresso too :eek::eek:

Advertisement