Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

ozmo wrote: »
    My issue is with it
    1.being designed for online use only - I like to use offline navigation aids

2.being specific to my house with no way to generalise it to my locality when i want

3.not being able generate a code for landmarks and non letterbox locations

And all the other reasons posted- no error checking, random order, not usable for finding locating a house without the premuium subscription to the closed lookup database. Etc etc.

Those are just a list of attributes of the code. i can't see anything of extra benefit in having the things you've listed.

1. Any code needs to be linked to a database to be any good
    2. what reason have you to generalise it locally to your area?
    3. Sat navs have POI's for these things, its not an issue, and google maps will find them easily too

This whole thing of "i want to be able to pin point a field in ballysomewhere and eircode can't do that" its a complete nonsense argument. its ridiculous. its such a non issue that its totally irrelevant

and its a bit premature to call the subscription "premium" when it hasn't even been announced yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ukoda wrote: »
    Well that's the real issue here isn't it. It's because there's a licensing fee. So suddenly because they have to pay for it... The haulage companies are up in arms calling it "useless" what they really mean is "We want it free"??

The code will work fine for everyone if they pay for the database. So let's be real here:

The code is fine
    The licensing fee is not

No the code is not fine - nor is the threat of high fees.

A simple 5 digit code that mimics the telephone system numbering is what I think would work fine for everyone. It would give a location down to a few hundred metres. Just drop the zero at the start of the phone number (obviously not the actual phone number for the address but that format). For example a Cork address could have the postcode 21534, which would apply to all houses in that locality. In Galway, it might be 91486, and Limerick, 61335. Most people are familliar with these numbers, and would have no trouble remembering them.

If required by the State, a further 3/4/5 digits/letters could be added to identify the exact location for tax or other purposes, but this code would be private.

Once setup, maitenance would be trivial - but best of all, it could be free to access the public bit.

No the code is not fine - nor is the treat of high fees.

A simple 5 digit code that mimics the telephone system numbering is what I think would work fine for everyone. It would give a location down to a few hundred metres. Just drop the zero at the start of the phone number (obviously not the actual phone number for the address but that format). For example a Cork address could have the postcode 21534, which would apply to all houses in that locality. In Galway, it might be 91486, and Limerick, 61335. Most people are familliar with these numbers, and would have no trouble remembering them.

If required by the State, a further 3/4/5 digits/letters could be added to identify the exact location for tax or other purposes, but this code would be private.

Once setup, maitenance would be trivial - but best of all, it could be free to access the public bit.

Thats not going to be any benefit to anyone - all you are doing is turning cork limerick dublin etc into a number instead of a word

People are more than capable of remembering 7 digits.

no one threatened high fees - no one even knows what the fees are yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Will these new postcodes for Ireland be owned by a private company or the Irish state ?

Will they work well on satnavs instead of the current hit and miss system ?

Why can't they introduce a simple grid reference system and use that for post codes ?

If it was accurate down to 25 meters or so wouldn't that be good enough for post / deliveries / and emergency services ?

Then anyone can just look up the postcode they need easily enough ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thats not going to be any benefit to anyone - all you are doing is turning cork limerick dublin etc into a number instead of a word

Obviously the code only applies to a few houses. The number works for phone numbers and it would work for every place that has an address in Ireland. I live in Dublin 4 and this becomes D04 in the Eircode system, as does Ringsend, Sandymount, and Donneybrook. In my proposal (if you can call it that) it would become 1668n for part of the Northern part, while 1269n would be the Southern part, and already I have divided D04 into tiny localities. The fifth digit (n) would divide these into much smaller groups of houses. No difficulty in understanding the system or remembering my own code, or my neighbours, or my friends. That alone is a great benefit.

Yes, but you are not giving them digits. You are giving them completely random sets of 4 alphanumeric characters with no logic atall. How could anyone remember XCQI or JUXP or anyother random set of letters. Much worse if you mix in numbers.

Nor did they threaten us with the highest per unit charge for water. Higher than any other European country. [Well, maybe there is somewhere that charges more, but our charges are twice the commercial charges here, and twice the European norm].

Rip-off is becoming so normal in the country, it is beyond joking about it. Eircom went from having one of the lowest line-rental charges in Europe (£10) to one of the highest after sell-off (€24). The ESB went from one of the cheapest unit charges per KWH, to one of the highest after market deregulation (or whatever it was called - where the EU insisted that prices had to go up to allow competition).

You could not make this stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

No, you're turning each of those into tens, hundreds or even thousands of numbers. Exactly what is needed to break them into smaller areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

SpaceTime wrote: »
    PS: Totally off topic but, beware of British tabloids and their reading of EU directives.

What the EU is doing is simply breaking the marketing link between input wattage and perception of performance. The labelling will measure the suction and dust collecting capabilities of vacuum cleaners i.e. what they do rather than the power input in Watts (how much electricity they use). They did pretty extensive research and actually show that a significant % of low-end machines use 2000W+ yet perform quite poorly. Basically you're usually paying for a badly designed, faster rotating, smaller fan and a noisy DC motor. If you look at the performance of some of the eco-orietnted models from higher end brands, they pull through more air per watt used through better fan blade design, and better filtration design. Basically, they're trying to ditch the era of €50 vacuum cleaners that use 2kW, make loads of noise and don't actually do much in terms of sucking up dust.

Cutting down to 900W in 2017 is probably totally unrealistic though. 1600W is sensible enough.

Bear in mind that the Nilfisks of the 1980s only used 700W and could still lift up the carpet they were so powerful. It's all about filter design, fan design and airflow. The easy way to achieve high suction is to just jam in an over-rated noisy motor. The clever way is to design your filters and suction systems right.

No Dyson for example breeches the 1600W limit (already).
    900W is taking the ... though. They'll probably have to drop that idea as the manufacturers and a lot of other people are up in arms about it.

The labelling makes sense, but the arbitrary wattage limit doesn't really. They should give the info and let the customers decide.

I am not British and do not read their tabloids. My concern is for high quality vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters that need the extra power to push through the multiple filters to clean the place and leave the air clean too. Products like the http://miele.ie/ie/domestic/products/floorcare_models_S_8330_Solution_Hepa-55348.htm which in my view is the finest vacuum cleaner in the world. (2200 W).

I have no connection with Miele aside from being a satisfied customer for decades for any appliance I have bought from them. They are well built, last, and do the job properly, unlike much of the Chinese rubbish things on the European consumer marketplace at this time.

Miele would not have developed the Eircode in the form that the dictatorship state is imposing on the largely submissive populous. Every Miele product is intelligently designed to provide the maximum customer satisfaction to the end user. Eircode on the other hand puts two fingers up to the consumer and their need to get around, have stuff delivered, while minimising their privacy and increasing the probability of and usability of stolen data. Eircode (initially I typo'd "Eircide" - as in Eircode and suicide - a Freudian typo) gives IRL a third world, half baked, "postcode" presided over by idiots and money grabbers.

You are missing the point. If an Eircode is say D4 U7WX or 104 2092 it does not matter. It is a useless combination of characters. Ask a taxi driver to take you to 104 2092! Even if he has a GPS chances are you in practice will be wasting your words. 99 Aylesbury Road, (D4 or 1040) is useful to humans. And a computer system can easily translate "1040 AY" in a drop-down list to fill the road name field and the town field and the postcode field and the unique building identifier field. Keeping it user-friendly and operator efficient for someone in a call centre.

Ireland is creating 1960s style postcodes, that were designed before computing power became ubiquitous. "Countries" like GB, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar and Canada have been locked in the same space. Meanwhile the rest of the world has moved on to using simple codes, street names, house numbers and town names. Most of which is auto-filled, together with a unique building ID using current technology.

A country that boasts about its IT industry prowess to the world will look rather dumb with the non-standard, Eircode that will not work with international mail sorting systems, GPS devices, etc without a lot of effort. Considering that IRL has a population of under 5 million, it is not worth modifying system software and adding to GPS memory (ie making GPS devices more expensive).

Obviously the code only applies to a few houses. The number works for phone numbers and it would work for every place that has an address in Ireland. I live in Dublin 4 and this becomes D04 in the Eircode system, as does Ringsend, Sandymount, and Donneybrook. In my proposal (if you can call it that) it would become 1668n for part of the Northern part, while 1269n would be the Southern part, and already I have divided D04 into tiny localities. The fifth digit (n) would divide these into much smaller groups of houses. No difficulty in understanding the system or remembering my own code, or my neighbours, or my friends. That alone is a great benefit.

Yes, but you are not giving them digits. You are giving them completely random sets of 4 alphanumeric characters with no logic atall. How could anyone remember XCQI or JUXP or anyother random set of letters. Much worse if you mix in numbers.

Nor did they threaten us with the highest per unit charge for water. Higher than any other European country. [Well, maybe there is somewhere that charges more, but our charges are twice the commercial charges here, and twice the European norm].

Rip-off is becoming so normal in the country, it is beyond joking about it. Eircom went from having one of the lowest line-rental charges in Europe (£10) to one of the highest after sell-off (€24). The ESB went from one of the cheapest unit charges per KWH, to one of the highest after market deregulation (or whatever it was called - where the EU insisted that prices had to go up to allow competition).

You could not make this stuff up.

That's all fair enough and I'd agree on some of your points.

But seriously. People can remember 7 characters. Either digits or alphanumeric. Seriously. Stop saying they can't. They can.

It's not a big ask, it's pretty easy thing to do

That's all fair enough and I'd agree on some of your points.

But seriously. People can remember 7 characters. Either digits or alphanumeric. Seriously. Stop saying they can't. They can.

It's not a big ask, it's pretty easy thing to do

It is a big ask. I might be able to remember my own - might now - but I will not keep anyone elses in my head.

To use D04 for the whole of Dublin 4 is a total waste of code space, and although it is memorable, just 14 would be more efficient, but 1269 defines a tiny area of Dublin 4.

In the UK system, they had to have a system that would work for postmen sorting letters, so chose alpha codes related to place names but the did not use London for the London postcodes. SW1A is a London postcode, as is EC4. This of course had its own problem and a remaking might well cause them to use a completely different solution more like those used in the nearly the whole of the rest of the world.

Using numeric codes makes the system much more robust, another failing of the Eircode system, as each character has 30 or so possibles as opposed to just ten.

Overall, I think it will fail, and probably quite quickly. If the satnav companies refuse to take it up (and Garmin may lead the charge) then I think it is doomed.

Another eVoting fiasco.

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    Will these new postcodes for Ireland be owned by a private company or the Irish state ?
    One assumes the State
    Will they work well on satnavs instead of the current hit and miss system ?
    In practice no, because Ireland would take up half the memory of a Europe-wide GPS device. The GPS market is very price competitive and Ireland has a small population - less than 1% of Europe's.
    Why can't they introduce a simple grid reference system and use that for post codes ?

The grid reference already exists down to various levels of accuracy - the more accurate the more digits. If you built a house on the intersection of O'Connell Street and Bachelor's Walk, in D1, its grid referenced based code might be 53.347531, -6.259379. Which is not very user-friendly. Why shouldn't it be

1 O'Connell Street
    1010 DUBLIN?

Anyone who subscribes to the unique building numbering database for Ireland would know that it is building number 10124812, just from entering 1010 and 1OC in the keyboard. But as a normal person your postcode would be 1010. If you had a PO Box it might be 1019. And if you were An Post GPO, it might be 1011 because you are a big user of the post.

If it was accurate down to 25 meters or so wouldn't that be good enough for post / deliveries / and emergency services ?
    Probably - but we already have a database (Geodirectory) which has grid references down to 1m. And then you have the issue of apartment numbers. - eg you need an ambulance and you are in apartment 1522 Westbrook Court, 1220 Dublin, the emergency services agent would not only have your lat and long to 1 metre but also the block number, building number floor number and apartment number and unique household number - all from you saying you live at 1522 Westbrook Court 1220. The keystrokes required from the call answering agent would be 1220 1522 W. Which is far easier for both parties - especially somebody ill rather than remembering 53.347531, -6.259379 or D22 W9HZ just after a heart attack or whatever emergency arose.

Impetus wrote: »
    One assumes the State

In practice no, because Ireland would take up half the memory of a Europe-wide GPS device. The GPS market is very price competitive and Ireland has a small population - less than 1% of Europe's.

The grid reference already exists down to various levels of accuracy - the more accurate the more digits. If you built a house on the intersection of O'Connell Street and Bachelor's Walk, in D1, its grid referenced based code might be 53.347531, -6.259379. Which is not very user-friendly. Why shouldn't it be

1 O'Connell Street
    1010 DUBLIN?

Anyone who subscribes to the unique building numbering database for Ireland would know that it is building number 10124812, just from entering 1010 and 1OC in the keyboard. But as a normal person your postcode would be 1010. If you had a PO Box it might be 1019. And if you were An Post GPO, it might be 1011 because you are a big user of the post.

Probably - but we already have a database (Geodirectory) which has grid references down to 1m. And then you have the issue of apartment numbers. - eg you need an ambulance and you are in apartment 1522 Westbrook Court, 1220 Dublin, the emergency services agent would not only have your lat and long to 1 metre but also the block number, building number floor number and apartment number and unique household number - all from you saying you live at 1522 Westbrook Court 1220. The keystrokes required from the call answering agent would be 1220 1522 W. Which is far easier for both parties - especially somebody ill rather than remembering 53.347531, -6.259379 or D22 W9HZ just after a heart attack or whatever emergency arose.

Thanks for the answers.

Were a lot of these issues not overcome by Loc8 codes, which seems to be a simple, useful, practical system, why not use a system similar to that ?

It is a big ask. I might be able to remember my own - might now - but I will not keep anyone elses in my head.
    This is a big issue in terms of public acceptability. Especially as people get older. I can remember the registration number of cars seen on the road walking to school when I was 6 years of age. Today. I bought a new car recently, and would have to do some research to find the number of same. It does not help that I had to send the first car they shipped back after three months, to the dealer because he screwed up on the spec.
    To use D04 for the whole of Dublin 4 is a total waste of code space, and although it is memorable, just 14 would be more efficient, but 1269 defines a tiny area of Dublin 4.

The new code needs to relate to the old code. eg old was Dublin 4. New is 1040 or 104nn. A five digit numbering system would allow a place like D4 to be divided into up to 100 units - ie a street/road or two per code.
    In the UK system, they had to have a system that would work for postmen sorting letters, so chose alpha codes related to place names but the did not use London for the London postcodes. SW1A is a London postcode, as is EC4. This of course had its own problem and a remaking might well cause them to use a completely different solution more like those used in the nearly the whole of the rest of the world.

The British postcode was developed in the 1960s in an era where a mainframe computer had probably 64k of memory. In the British system, the sorting is done based on the code. So is the barcoding. In the system used in Ireland and everywhere else in Europe virtually, the entire address is scanned and compared to a database of valid addresses, and a delivery package number is barcoded on the envelope. The format of this barcode has been standardised across Europe and many other countries. It is like an AWB on a DHL or Fedex package - when you are doing track and trace online. So the code barcoded on the envelope/package points to a database entry which includes the co-ordinates of the delivery address. This address might be in Mullingar or in Aix-en-Provence. With the British postcode based sorting, if the system mis-reads a postcode, the letter will go to the wrong delivery office, until somebody corrects the problem manually.

With the German system which Ireland uses, either the postal address as scanned matches a database of valid addresses or not. If not, it still gets its barcode number, but in this case a human has to look at a scanned image of the address on a VDU and enter the correct delivery code.

The presence of a numeric code greatly increases the chances of machine readability - especially if the numeric code is at the start of a line (ie before the town name).
    Using numeric codes makes the system much more robust, another failing of the Eircode system, as each character has 30 or so possibles as opposed to just ten.

Overall, I think it will fail, and probably quite quickly. If the satnav companies refuse to take it up (and Garmin may lead the charge) then I think it is doomed.

Another eVoting fiasco.

100% agreed. Until the 1990s Britain did not publish the area code in a phone book. One looked up the number, and if successful found an "exchange name" (eg Romford) and 234566. You then had to refer to a "dialling code book" to find the area code for Romford - which varied, depending on where you were calling from. eg it might be 91 or 0708. Usually 91 if you were in a neighboring town or 0708 if you were in Manchester. 0708 was made up of, you guessed it, alphanumeric characters - ie 0RO8 - ie RO as in Romford. 0707 was not near Romford. It was in Hatfield in another county - 56 km distant. 0706 was in Rochdale in Lancashire.

Which is very like the proposed Eircode. When they ran out of numbers in Romford, they had to change the code to 01708. Moving the clock back 01 was the London area, then it became 071 and 081 and then 0171 and 0181, and finally it became 020. During all these changes of codes - Dublin which was based in Ireland's number only area code system remained 01.

An all number code is the most intelligent and user-friendly system - and works well with machines, OCR, phone dials, and at cash registers where a retailer wishes to record roughly where there customers come from.

The Eircode will be a BIG BRITISH STYLE MESS, PRESIDED OVER BY A BRITISH COMPANY, supported by idiot Irish politicians and a clueless civil service and imposed on a largely too polite to complain public victim base. The non-adoption of a road name/house number/short postcode system for every household and business address will cost several percent to Irelands GDP, due to delivery time wasted, finding time wasted, missed appointment deadlines, etc etc.

Thanks for the answers.

Were a lot of these issues not overcome by Loc8 codes, which seems to be a simple, useful, practical system, why not use a system similar to that ?

I have no problem with the Loc8 code anymore than I have a problem with lat/long or the national grid reference. The issue is one of user-friendliness, acceptability by the entire nation, creating something that every human can find without the aid of a GPS or local knowledge - ie a sign says XYZ Road and a house has a 200 number on it. And even if it does not, the guy across the street has 205 on his house, so you can guess where 200 is.

If some people put the Eircode on their front gate, and I see C23 U766 on this gate and C23 X8IW on the next gate - as proposed with Eircode randomisation. What can I deduce? Not to mention the fact that there is no plan in the Eircode to attach a name to each road or a number to each building.

The Eircode has been designed by idiots who have never lived in a properly administered country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The Eircode will be a BIG BRITISH STYLE MESS, PRESIDED OVER BY A BRITISH COMPANY, supported by idiot Irish politicians and a clueless civil service and imposed on a largely too polite to complain public victim base. The non-adoption of a road name/house number/short postcode system for every household and business address will cost several percent to Irelands GDP, due to delivery time wasted, finding time wasted, missed appointment deadlines, etc etc.

Thats total rubbish, no one is going to stop using their current address format and just put their Eircode on correspondence. Deliveries will stay just the same or improve they won't get worse.

If some people put the Eircode on their front gate, and I see C23 U766 on this gate and C23 X8IW on the next gate - as proposed with Eircode randomisation. What can I deduce?

What exactly would anyone need to deduce in that scenario?

What exactly would anyone need to deduce in that scenario?
    If you were looking for house C23 N9RT, and they had not put up their postcode at their gate/front door. You could not deduce its position from the other postcodes.

If on the other hand the person at houses 233 and 235 had the house number displayed, and you were looking for 234, its position would be obvious.

If you were looking for house C23 N9RT, and they had not put up their postcode at their gate/front door. You could not deduce its position from the other postcodes.

If on the other hand the person at houses 233 and 235 had the house number displayed, and you were looking for 234, its position would be obvious.

People can still put house numbers on their doors and gates. Doesn't affect eircode.

my3cents wrote: »
    Thats total rubbish, no one is going to stop using their current address format and just put their Eircode on correspondence. Deliveries will stay just the same or improve they won't get worse.

It is not a question of reducing GDP - it is a question of increasing GDP by making the country more efficient.

Have you ever visited Switzerland, for example? If you are waiting in a railway station, you can go to a coffee bar for an expresso at 16h57, without worrying about missing the 1702 train to Zug which departs from track 17. And when you arrive in Zug all the streets have names and all the buildings have numbers. This focus on infrastructural perfection has made Switzerland one of the richest countries in the world - aside from a few countries living off oil and gas which is a non-sustainable source of wealth. Most of the same countries are among the most incompetently run on the planet. A country that exists on a four digit postcode system, and has done so for decades.

People can still put house numbers on their doors and gates. Doesn't affect eircode.

This thread is going around in circles. 50% of houses in Ireland have no road name and no house number. This is the key issue that needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »

Well don't bother with any postcode. Just give buildings that have no house number a number, and a road name. And define what town it is connected to.

However the absence of a district defining postcode is going to leave things messy, like they are now.

Ask anybody who has to deliver stuff. Or any public servant who has to gather statistics or government who has to run a country. Rural Ireland can't continue to live in "tents in the desert" mode.

I have no problem with the Loc8 code anymore than I have a problem with lat/long or the national grid reference. The issue is one of user-friendliness, acceptability by the entire nation, creating something that every human can find without the aid of a GPS or local knowledge - ie a sign says XYZ Road and a house has a 200 number on it. And even if it does not, the guy across the street has 205 on his house, so you can guess where 200 is.

If some people put the Eircode on their front gate, and I see C23 U766 on this gate and C23 X8IW on the next gate - as proposed with Eircode randomisation. What can I deduce? Not to mention the fact that there is no plan in the Eircode to attach a name to each road or a number to each building.

The Eircode has been designed by idiots who have never lived in a properly administered country.

Are are people going to do away and/or leave out their house numbers and street names ? Is the code not an addition and very useful supplement to a traditional address rather than a replacement for it ?

(Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand what's so bad/good about this system compared to others.)

This thread is going around in circles. 50% of houses in Ireland have no road name and no house number. This is the key issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't disagree. But it's not eircode's issue to fix. No postcode can fix that

But are people going to do away and/or leave out their house numbers and street names ? Is the code not an addition to a traditional address rather than a replacement for it ?
    The 45% odd of houses with road names and street numbers will keep these. The other half had no road name or house number.

One of the big issues for the development of Ireland from being a Dublin centric running out of water metropolitan area (in one of the wettest countries on the planet) to making use of the entire country is one of road and rail transportation - much of which has been addressed with motorways etc, and address-ability. Which has not been addressed so far.

Turn the clock back. If Irish towns had no names. It would be no different to roaming in the Sahara desert in a four wheel drive. A road and an individual house are just a sub-set of a town. Few people want their town to be called XU6 Y5WQ.

The 45% odd of houses with road names and street numbers will keep these. The other half had no road name or house number.

One of the big issues for the development of Ireland from being a Dublin centric running out of water metropolitan area (in one of the wettest countries on the planet) to making use of the entire country is one of road and rail transportation - much of which has been addressed with motorways etc, and address-ability. Which has not been addressed so far.

Turn the clock back. If Irish towns had no names. It would be no different to roaming in the Sahara desert in a four wheel drive. A road and an individual house are just a sub-set of a town. Few people want their town to be called XU6 Y5WQ.

Off topic, but I'm not so sure motorways leading to and from Dublin, along much the same lines as the 17th century road map of Ireland, can be considered a motorway 'network'

One large, well planned, multi lane orbital motorway could have catered for the whole Island of 6 million easily and left no one more than about 30 mins from that motorway. Instead Ireland's most disadvantaged counties are left more disadvantaged than ever, and we're only as strong as our weakest links. I like Dublin, but the mono city culture is not a healthy one for Ireland, or Dublin.

I agree that we don't do joined up thinking very well in this country, and with everything we do, we seem to keep setting out to try and reinvent the already invented wheel, and then inventing square wheels when we do, and being all pleased with them, thinking we were the first to invent a wheel. I can't understand why we don't examine other countries systems, pick the best ones, and then adapt and carefully improve them for Ireland.

I don't disagree. But it's not eircode's issue to fix. No postcode can fix that

It is down to a matter of priorities. If you don't disagree that every premises should have a road/street address and premises number on that street, surely the Eircode-ized addressing system should get this correct from the start. You can't impose a postcode system without defining where each building is, in terms that a normal human being can relate to.

Most cars have a VIN (vehicle identification number). If you are in the market for a new car do you look for a VW Golf or perhaps a Mercedes Benz C200 or do you want to buy a WBAYF8C51ED141941?

Off topic, but I'm not so sure motorways leading to and from Dublin, along much the same lines as the 17th century road map of Ireland, can be considered a motorway 'network'

One large, well planned, multi lane orbital motorway could have catered for the whole Island of 6 million easily and left no one more than about 30 mins from that motorway. Instead Ireland's most disadvantaged counties are left more disadvantaged than ever, and we're only as strong as our weakest links. I like Dublin, but the mono city culture is not a healthy one for Ireland, or Dublin.

I agree that we don't do joined up thinking very well in this country, and with everything we do, we seem to keep setting out to try and reinvent the already invented wheel, and then inventing square wheels when we do, and being all pleased with them, thinking we were the first to invent a wheel. I can't understand why we don't examine other countries systems, pick the best ones, and then adapt and carefully improve them for Ireland.

I agree. The E20/E201 from Dublin to Cork combined with an arc radial motorway running from say Donegal to Galway to Limerick intersecting with the E201, and onwards to Waterford and Wexford would be have been cheaper, less wasteful of agricultural land, and offer faster journey times, be economically better for the country as a whole etc etc. Parts of the Dublin Cork route are totally jammed at rush-hour and really need 8 or 10 lanes in parts of KE. Meanwhile many other motorway kms are totally wasted even projecting for traffic volumes in 2030. But that was said to the people in power back in the day, out loud, and fell on deaf ears. And the same dysfunctional political/permanent government pig pigheadedness is unfortunately glaringly evident in postcodeland.ie

I agree. The E20/E201 from Dublin to Cork combined with an arc radial motorway running from say Donegal to Galway to Limerick intersecting with the E201, and onwards to Waterford and Wexford would be have been cheaper, less wasteful of agricultural land, and offer faster journey times, be economically better for the country as a whole etc etc. Parts of the Dublin Cork route are totally jammed at rush-hour and really need 8 or 10 lanes in parts of KE. Meanwhile many other motorway kms are totally wasted even projecting for traffic volumes in 2030. But that was said to the people in power back in the day, out loud, and fell on deaf ears. And the same dysfunctional political/permanent government pig pigheadedness is unfortunately glaringly evident in postcodeland.ie

Yep, you don't hear other countries bumming about their national primary "by-passes" the way we were back when we had all the EU structural funding and our own money. Crazy thing to be at, when one well planned orbital motorway and rail network for the whole Island, would have solved the whole lot permanently for generations, and the EU would have paid for it all when they were giving us the structural funds. Instead we squandered the EU structural funds on thousands of hair brained local parish pump projects. I really do wonder about our fitness and ability to govern ourselves at times. Sorry off topic I know, but vagely connected in way, i.e. the same type of short sighted mistakes over and over again.

All roads lead to Rome Dublin, and that's how the planners have prioritised the motorway network. Way OT but the government would be better off pushing harder at getting work out into the rest of the country. I DO believe that they ARE trying, but it isn't working as well as it should.

Having a severe rush hour traffic problem in a country as sparsely populated as Ireland, is more of a spacial issue rather than a transportation one.

• Advertisement

Are are people going to do away and/or leave out their house numbers and street names ? Is the code not an addition and very useful supplement to a traditional address rather than a replacement for it ?

(Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand what's so bad/good about this system compared to others.)

Perhaps you might explain what is useful about assigning a random number to your house or apartment, and a completely different random number to your neighbour?

If you feel the need to high resolution postcodes that are compatible with the international postal and database system on websites etc look at the Dutch postcode. eg 1010 FE points to about 20 houses. Add 47 after 1010 FE to get 1010 FE 47 and you have a unique identifier. 47 being the house number. This allows the user to give their postcode as 1010, or 1010 FE or 1010 FE 47 - depending on the level of disclosure they are comfortable with in relation to the other party. And of course in Ireland' case you still have to deal with the issue of rural addresses - giving them a road name based probably on the townland name and a building number, probably based on metrics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement