Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Niemoj wrote: »
    Is that actually launching anytime soon or what? Seems to keep getting pushed back.

Alex White is launching it later today according to news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Found my home Eircode no problem.

My work however, that has recently moved is listed at old address.

Searched new address, which is in a new unit in an office block and the building has various Eircodes but not for our Unit number.
    Have contacted Eircode and am curious as to how they handle this.

Niemoj wrote: »
    Is that actually launching anytime soon or what? Seems to keep getting pushed back.
    Eircodes have already launched, it's just not been publicised yet!
    Apart from the geeks here :P few know of their existance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Eircodes have already launched, it's just not been publicised yet!
    Apart from the geeks here :P few know of their existance!

Well Twitter is exploding with eircode. #eircode is trending in Ireland

ukoda wrote: »
    Well Twitter is exploding with eircode. #eircode is trending in Ireland
    twitter will get the job done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Come har all ye eircodeites (or is that loc8codeites!), we're live @ long last. Got mine online before 6:30 this morning:

A92 XXXX. Don't even remember the XXX bit, so much for memorability! It seems that Drogheda is A92. Wonder how extensive

A92 is? There isn't a distinction between urban/rural as town & outside the town (@ lease the north part) are the same. I

wonder where A91, & A93 are? Are they adjacent areas, or are they & the oposite ends of the country? Also, on looking up a

townland outside Drogheda, I get a list of all houses that have a name: 'Laurel Lodge', etc, etc. How are the non unique

home & another 15 @ work?

Pleanty of media coverage too on the News, & on Morning Ireland, the press, & Breakingnews.ie. The spokesperson from the

FTAI was the most disgruntled. eircode is no use to them! They want a locality based code. What that means & how it would

work for them he didn't elaborate. He went as far to state that the geo coordinates would be of little use either -

loc8code no good either? You just cannot please everybody! I think what the delivery people need is road names & house

numbers as when they arrive in the area, what else would be effective in identifying a destination on the ground? The

spokesperson did see the advantage to revenue/utility etc!

Also heard this morning that eircode'll be no use on satnavs or on google maps. Is this true? I might exoect the full

eircode not to be, but @ least we should be able to use the 1st part, the routing code. So, I should be able to go to

google maps & enter Ireland A92, & have the A92 area come up.

Later on we'll have the Minister doing the format launch!

The postman is going to be busy!

CJx9PNzWsAAuzsI.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

In other news today - Shannon airport was moved overnight to Limerick ... :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

plodder wrote: »
    In other news today - Shannon airport was moved overnight to Limerick ... :eek:

Oh yes, that will go down like a led balloon in Clare. Limerick always wants to take a bite out of Clare. Patrick O'Donovan finally got his wish...

Seeing as the mistakes are all that people are going to post, let me just say, I've checked every ericode that's of interest to me (home, work, family, places I go) and they are all spot on. The building I work in has multiple companies and when I request the ericode of that building, I get the full list of occupants (by company name) and its spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

:pac: The limit on the website is cookie based......

The postal address that comes up for my parents house has a townland 4 km away that would never have gone on the postal address. It is spelt wrong in Irish. Actual name of the house that would have gone on the address is nowhere to be seen. I've already forgotten what the actual eircode is. Neighbours house has a rather amusing sounding eircode that ya would have seen on those Batman TV shows that used to be on tv. I'll remember that one alright :rolleyes:

Reaction on twitter seems to be largely negative so far with a lot of people complaining that it isn't accurate. Seems a lot of people have had their counties changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Some of you may have figured this already. One can enter an area, eg a townland, the buildings with the red dots all have eircodes, just move the map so the building you want the eircode for is 'under' the target circle, click 'Get eircode', & you get the eircode for that building!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

So, for the Dublin addresses, do we still include the old postal code as part of the address? E.g. Dublin 2

For instance,

MOCHA BEANS
    PEARSE STATION
    WESTLAND ROW
    DUBLIN 2
    D02 Y520

Or

MOCHA BEANS
    PEARSE STATION
    WESTLAND ROW
    DUBLIN
    D02 Y520

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

chewed wrote: »
    So, for the Dublin addresses, do we still include the old postal code as part of the address? E.g. Dublin 2

For instance,

MOCHA BEANS
    PEARSE STATION
    WESTLAND ROW
    DUBLIN 2
    D02 Y520

Or

MOCHA BEANS
    PEARSE STATION
    WESTLAND ROW
    DUBLIN
    D02 Y520

Doesn't make any difference, does it?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've found my home and work Eircodes without a problem. I've updated my Amazon and PayPal addresses so far, but eBay rejects the postcode as invalid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

larchill wrote: »
    Some of you may have figured this already. One can enter an area, eg a townland, the buildings with the red dots all have eircodes, just move the map so the building you want the eircode for is 'under' the target circle, click 'Get eircode', & you get the eircode for that building!

As a matter of interest, can you check an area where you know there is an unoccupied building (though not derelict) and check has it got a dot? I notice in my area some unoccupied buildings have no dot, which is a major security flaw imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

irish_goat wrote: »
    Doesn't make any difference, does it?

No, but I'm just wondering why Eircode would include it as part of the address in the Finder, when it's included in the new code! i.e. Dublin 2 is now D02

spurious wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, can you check an area where you know there is an unoccupied building (though not derelict) and check has it got a dot? I notice in my area some unoccupied buildings have no dot, which is a major security flaw imo.

Unoccupied buildings if they still actually exist will of course still have an address and therefore an Eircode.

Do you think burglars who are the type to break into unoccupied buildings would depend on Eircode to find it.

Really, one of the strangest criticisms of Eircode I have come accross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

murpho999 wrote: »
    Unoccupied buildings if they still actually exist will of course still have an address and therefore an Eircode.

Do you think burglars who are the type to break into unoccupied buildings would depend on Eircode to find it.

Really, one of the strangest criticisms of Eircode I have come accross.

But they don't have an eircode - no dot on the map - that's how they are easy to identify.
    That's my point.

Go and look for an unoccupied building you know of in your area. I have checked in an urban area and a friend has checked in her rural locality and both have unoccupied buildings not showing dots.

But they don't have an eircode - no dot on the map - that's how they are easy to identify.
    That's my point.
    They're not necessarily unoccupied. They could be buildings (like where I work) that don't receive post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

For the love of god don't post you eircode on twitter or anywhere else where you have your real name. Have found out where people live their occupation and where they work by just looking at a tweet on their twitter profile.

They're not necessarily unoccupied. They could be buildings (like where I work) that don't receive post.

The Dublin ones I checked have not been occupied for a while, but they are not derelict, so I suppose someone could send a letter to them. They are still valid addresses, just not currently in use. Perhaps they will add them if post starts to be sent to them again.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    For the love of god don't post you eircode on twitter or anywhere else where you have your real name. Have found out where people live their occupation and where they work by just looking at a tweet on their twitter profile.
    No privacy implications with Eircode, eh?

That's my point.

Go and look for an unoccupied building you know of in your area. I have checked in an urban area and a friend has checked in her rural locality and both have unoccupied buildings not showing dots.

So what? I don't think it's going to become a tool for burglars. If I know of unoccupied buildings then I'm pretty sure burglars will too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No privacy implications with Eircode, eh?

No more than with a unique address, no. Would you tweet your full address?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

From the FAQ:
    Q:Can I post mail just with an Eircode and no address? A: An Post requires the full, correct postal address to attempt delivery of the mail item.

Enough said about the Eircode scam

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No more than with a unique address, no. Would you tweet your full address?
    These people wouldn't tweet their full address. So, why are they tweeting their Eircodes? Probably because they don't realise other people can convert it to their full address.

This is exactly what I said would happen. Postcodes are anonymous in every other country in the world except for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

A lot of the people giving out about the address assigned to their Eircode on twitter. Most people haven't realised that An Post has has their own interpretation of their address since forever.houses in Roscommon being regarded as in Longford or Westmeath for delivery purposes etc..May reignite the whole postal town system debate. Especially since Eircode seem to be saying to use whatever address you've been using and just append your Eircode. Sneaky way to make sure An Post needs to use the Eircode to match it to their delivery address?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

These people wouldn't tweet their full address. So, why are they tweeting their Eircodes? Probably because they don't realise other people can convert it to their full address.

This is exactly what I said would happen. Postcodes are anonymous in every other country in the world except for Ireland.

Idiotic argument. It's the same as tweeting your phone number. If someone is stupid enough to do that (or write exactly what they think of their boss on Facebook), it's their own fault. Personal responsibility is not dead yet.
    Maybe people should think before they tweet and having said that, that should be a general disclaimer on Twitter.

And, as said a thousand times before, Eircode is here for EXACTLY that reason. So that you can identify a single dwelling. Because of addresses like Sean Mud, The Bog, Co Nowhere. I cannot believe that people are so thick that they can't see that, it's just because they don't want to see. None so blind...

• Advertisement

Offical launch happing now, minister confirms eircode Finder has already got 50,000 plus hits

Twitter is gone mental! Lots of companies tweeting thier eircodes tho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement