Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Malahide is K36 Swords K67
    Other parts of North county Dublin have "A" codes. I doubt the first character is tied to identifiable areas.

Also, not working on google maps. So, I take it no satnav support on launch ..

South Roscommon is N37 but is referred to as being in Westmeath, one odd thing is that they have our "town" (second line) as a village that doesn't have a post office instead of the village closer to us that does.

The address format that none of the locals use. :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ozmo wrote: »
    But are they all the same postcodes? All business's I've checked within the same building have the same postcodes.
    They are indeed the same as it turns out. The office beside ours (within the same building) has a different address. I thought it strangenthat they're using an old occupancy list though.

I wonder does a building half domestic half business get one or two codes?

ozmo wrote: »
    But are they all the same postcodes? All business's I've checked within the same building have the same postcodes.

Eg. if you look at the GPO - there is one dot on the building - 3 business's listed under the dot - all with the same postcode.
    I just looked up a couple of addresses in a block of flats and they're unique to each flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

South Roscommon is N37 but is referred to as being in Westmeath
    Your address now is your postal address not where you live. An Post should now be able to use your Eircode so it should be possible to amend the rest of your address to show where you live. This will be an interesting debate!

• Advertisement

a65b2cd wrote: »
    !
    Your username looks like an eircode, a65 b2cd, but a lookup fails to find an address. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

V94 seems to cover a vast area, I'm in Limerick city and my code starts with it, my parents are in Ballina Co Tipp and their code stats with V94 as does my in-laws code out in Foynes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

the address where I live is there: D08 E1W3. they have me in Dublin 8 even though I signed that Bill!

Our eircode address puts us in Westmeath, we live in Roscommon!

Edit: I've used the report an issue to notify them of the error, will be interesting to see how quickly or if it get changed.
    Rapid response, fair play.
    The address on the Eircode Notification Letter and on the Eircode Finder are postal addresses used by An Post for accurate mail delivery not geographic addresses. We used these addresses to ensure the correct Eircode was delivered to the correct address. Eircode is not changing addresses or telling people to use a different address.
    You can use the address as you currently do and simply add the Eircode on a separate line below the county.
    regards,

Eircode

I wasn't going to change my address anyway, so all is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wonder what the first piece of mail will be with an eircode. Probably a bill. Not including the eircode letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Interesting when you hit the "directions" button in the Eircode Finder it launches your phones native map app with the location, uses the geo codes to point to it on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

My address is wrong. Their Contact Us page seems to be broken - where's the Report a problem link ?

long_b wrote: »
    My address is wrong. Their Contact Us page seems to be broken - where's the Report a problem link ?

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They haven't marked my mother's building with a dot, so it doesn't have an eircode?

long_b wrote: »
    Have a look at the response I got earlier, Re: incorrect address
    The address on the Eircode Notification Letter and on the Eircode Finder are postal addresses used by An Post for accurate mail delivery not geographic addresses. We used these addresses to ensure the correct Eircode was delivered to the correct address. Eircode is not changing addresses or telling people to use a different address.
    You can use the address as you currently do and simply add the Eircode on a separate line below the county.
    regards,

Eircode

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ukoda wrote: »
    Interesting when you hit the "directions" button in the Eircode Finder it launches your phones native map app with the location, uses the geo codes to point to it on the map

Ah, so that's how that works. Never shall I get lost on my way back to my house again! :cool:
    Wonder if google maps is planning native eircode support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »
    They haven't marked my mother's building with a dot, so it doesn't have an eircode?

I sent them the Loc8 code for it, so they can find it to add a dot. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I sent them the Loc8 code for it, so they can find it to add a dot. ;)

When you center the Eircode cross hairs on it, what does it say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

Target acquired, warhead armed.

ukoda wrote: »

Turns out they aren't validating the length of text you enter. Enter too much text and it gives an error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No Eircode spokesman available on Morning Ireland.

Didn't Irish Water have problems providing a spokesman?

Em you know that example Loc8 keep banging on about UCD having only the one eircode?...... For what I can tell each factuality building has its own eircode.

So I can find, the library, the law building, the mail room, the restaurant, school of geography / maths etc. from looking at the map it looks like UCD has a load of different eircodes for most of the buildings

It says
    "Sorry, no Eircode at this location.
    Move the map so the target is over the building marker and click Get Eircode."

There is no building marker.

It says
    "Sorry, no Eircode at this location.
    Move the map so the target is over the building marker and click Get Eircode."

There is no building marker.
    send them the gocode.

Actually, looking at the map close to me (North Strand area in Dublin), I see that derelict or unoccupied buildings are not marked with a dot. Godsend for burglars, I would imagine.

I hasten to add my mother's is neither derelict nor unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

No combination of searches gets google maps to accept an Eircode, now thats a bigger problem for me than all the messing about with UCD, privacy concerns, hierarchy etc. Theres no way they wouldn't have been able to implement it on day one so I'm a bit worried now

I'm wondering if people wouldn't be better off contacting An Post as from what I know they maintain the actual address database ?

tvc15 wrote: »
    No combination of searches gets google maps to accept an Eircode, now thats a bigger problem for me than all the messing about with UCD, privacy concerns, hierarchy etc. Theres no way they wouldn't have been able to implement it on day one so I'm a bit worried now

Yes I'd agree, it should work on the native Google app without having to first go to eircode Finder. Let's hope Google are getting ready to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

The building I work in has a couple of hundred people, but no Eircode, presumably because post gets delivered to a different location.

Similarly, the entire Intel campus in Leixlip (5000 people?) has two Eircodes. That's going to be a problem across the MNC sector.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Is that actually launching anytime soon or what? Seems to keep getting pushed back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement