Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Perceived Image

Options
  • 16-09-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I started a thread about how beautiful a city we had recently and I was shot down, so here i bow to the nay sayers and ask a more negative question of our town.
    Is Limerick a dodgy city or is it, inproportion to population an extremely scobe infested city?

Town is full of scobes. Absolutely full of them. And proportionate to population we are far worse than Dublin or Cork. Go to Dublin Cork and especially Galway and u rarely see too many gangs of scobes during the day on the likes of Dame Street, Grafton Street, Patrick Street, Washington St, Shop St or Quay St. They tend to stick to their own areas, but Limerick is full to the brim with them. Intimidating people, hassling and harassing people. The much lauded Youth Centre is a hang out for them, its full of scobes contrary to public belief. You see them with their hoods up, tracks suit pants tucked into their socks, women in their pyjamas, bellys on show for all to see, massive fake gold jewellery. They are on the buses, in the pubs, in the shops resturants, on every street. They infest the city :mad: and no matter what new attraction we bring in, no matter what amenities we have, they take them over. Everything. U cant go for a game of snooker but they are there, u cant go swimming in St Endas but they are there, when funderland comes to town they are like moths to a flame. The Ice Rink at christmas at the potatoe market is FULL of them. Thomond Park on match day is teeming with them. Bowling alleys are breeding grounds for them, and lets not even start on cinemas and shopping centres! Have u been to the crescent lately!!!:( Limerick is a city FULL of scobes and scumbags and they are ruining it for the rest of us. This is a city no one wants to come to. Last night on Newstalk Off the Ball former Meath footballer Bernard Flynn described Limerick as Tinker Town. RTE had a quiz where the prize was a trip to Limerick for a weekend and the winner asked for the cash instead....
    we are the coventry of Ireland and its all these cretins fault.
    I am so angry :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Limerick is no more a dangerous city than any other.

Your post seems to focus more on it being an unpleasant place than a dangerous place. That's certainly debatable. We debate it so often around here that it seems many people believe it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

To be honest i don't think we have a disproportionate number of scobes in our city, what i do think is that the city is so small that it's very easy to get to the city center, Cork has it's own little village areas which make up the city's suburbs same as Dublin. This means that the scum don't have to go into the city center to do what they want, Limerick doesn't have the same, it only has a few shopping center and retail parks in the suburbs, so for entertainment (nightlife) and someplace to hang out they come into the city center, most of the poorer areas are within easy walking distance of the city center with Moyross probably being the only exception, and even then it's not that far.

If there was better amenities in the areas then they wouldn't come into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Limerick is like any other city in the world.

It has its "places to avoid" which are full of scobies. The rest of the city is as safe as any other city in Ireland.

The bottom line with any urban area these days is "If you go looking for trouble, it will find you".

This whole "Stab city" bull**** has been built up by the media who've had nothing better else to talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

well is this an unpleasant city???????????????????????

with all those examples which cant be denied................... yes this city is unpleasant

is this a dangerous city??????????????????

besides kids being raped innocents being murdered old people being mugged an intimadated and thge scum on every single street along with the fact if you report a crime your considered a "rat"(very scumbag term) and will be shunned by even the law obeying citizens then yes this is a dangerous city.

in comparison to every other city in this country. Dublin Cork Galway Waterford and evn in Belfast(where there are terrorists) we are the town of scum.

my final conclusion. if we didnt "act"(and thats all it is. an act) like scumbags then this would be a better place for everyone. so stop using the term "rat" start reporting crime whether the gardai turn up or not. the more we help the more they can do their jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the rodents infest our city because we dont clean up our messes. we cant blame the scum for doing what they arte doing. they are scum(unintelligent inbred unopenminded drains on society) they are just doing what they are bred to do. im not saying lets start a vigilanty group im saying shun the scum dont be intimadated and take back our city.

Liam79 i agreed with your last post that limerick is amazing when its sunny. could you imagine this place without the scum. our tourism would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kt217

its true what the op says about the youth center being a magnet for scumbags there is nearly a load of them around there

• Advertisement

Limerick is like any other city in the world.

It has its "places to avoid" which are full of scobies. The rest of the city is as safe as any other city in Ireland.

The bottom line with any urban area these days is "If you go looking for trouble, it will find you".

This whole "Stab city" bull**** has been built up by the media who've had nothing better else to talk about.

Geoghan, Collins...........

the little girl last week on Catherine street

where they "looking for trouble"??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

foinse wrote: »
    To be honest i don't think we have a disproportionate number of scobes in our city, what i do think is that the city is so small that it's very easy to get to the city center, Cork has it's own little village areas which make up the city's suburbs same as Dublin. This means that the scum don't have to go into the city center to do what they want, Limerick doesn't have the same, it only has a few shopping center and retail parks in the suburbs, so for entertainment (nightlife) and someplace to hang out they come into the city center, most of the poorer areas are within easy walking distance of the city center with Moyross probably being the only exception, and even then it's not that far.

If there was better amenities in the areas then they wouldn't come into town.

You talk a lot of sence foinse!

There are some suburban area's of Cork I would dare go to because its full of "scobes". The thing with Limerick is that we generally dont have those area's.

Limerick is a great place to live.....I moved here 2 years ago with my husband after getting loads of advice not to and havent regretted it for a minute.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Absolute rubbish statement. Who purposefully goes looking for trouble?

*facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Is Limerick a dangerous city?

depends on the context

is Limerick a dangerous city compared to Jersey? yes it is

is Limerick a dangerous city compared to Baghdad? yes it is

where would you like to go on holiday, Limerick or Baghdad?

Baghdad please :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive been going out in Limerick for the last 7 years and have yet to see 1 fight in a nightclub as opposed to the door i work in Shannon which has fights outside every night of the weekend. I moved to Westbury last November and havent seen one bit of trouble since.
    I totally agree with what above posters said, if you dont look for trouble then you wont find any.
    I am in town 5-6 times a week and see the scobes, they dont intimidate me at all, i dont see how they intimidate anyone to be honest. They are just funny to look at.

I dont think Limerick is dangerous at all, but of course the irish media wouldnt have anything to talk about if we all felt like that.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    I am in town 5-6 times a week and see the scobes, they dont intimidate me at all, i dont see how they intimidate anyone to be honest. They are just funny to look at.

what do the scobes look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liam, i cant believe how one day you are saying how great Limerick is and the next saying what a hole it is!

I thought school started back last week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Is Limerick a dangerous city?

Not if your from , Johannasburg, Rio de Janeiro, Bagota or Baghdad :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

john47832 wrote: »
    what do the scobes look like?

Would you like a full description? Surely any young fella with his hand down his pants qualifies? I wish i knew what that is about, it just doesnt make any sense to walk around with your hand down your pants.

Liam, i cant believe how one day you are saying how great Limerick is and the next saying what a hole it is!

I thought school started back last week!!
    Liam79 wrote: »
    I started a thread about how beautiful a city we had recently and I was shot down, so here i bow to the nay sayers and ask a more negative question of our town.
    Is Limerick a dodgy city or is it, inproportion to population an extremely scobe infested city?

he did already explain or did you miss that class

Would you like a full description? Surely any young fella with his hand down his pants qualifies? I wish i knew what that is about, it just doesnt make any sense to walk around with your hand down your pants.

that does look quiet funny actually:D
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Paul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

now that depends - is this the front of the pants or the back of the pants we are talking about?

front of the pants is a sign of masculinity, big sacks need a good scratching

back of the pants is a sign of a smelly hand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Town is full of scobes. Absolutely full of them. And proportionate to population we are far worse than Dublin or Cork. Go to Dublin Cork and especially Galway and u rarely see too many gangs of scobes during the day on the likes of Dame Street, Grafton Street, Patrick Street, Washington St, Shop St or Quay St. They tend to stick to their own areas, but Limerick is full to the brim with them. Intimidating people, hassling and harassing people. The much lauded Youth Centre is a hang out for them, its full of scobes contrary to public belief. You see them with their hoods up, tracks suit pants tucked into their socks, women in their pyjamas, bellys on show for all to see, massive fake gold jewellery. They are on the buses, in the pubs, in the shops resturants, on every street. They infest the city :mad: and no matter what new attraction we bring in, no matter what amenities we have, they take them over. Everything. U cant go for a game of snooker but they are there, u cant go swimming in St Endas but they are there, when funderland comes to town they are like moths to a flame. The Ice Rink at christmas at the potatoe market is FULL of them. Thomond Park on match day is teeming with them. Bowling alleys are breeding grounds for them, and lets not even start on cinemas and shopping centres! Have u been to the crescent lately!!!:( Limerick is a city FULL of scobes and scumbags and they are ruining it for the rest of us. This is a city no one wants to come to. Last night on Newstalk Off the Ball former Meath footballer Bernard Flynn described Limerick as Tinker Town. RTE had a quiz where the prize was a trip to Limerick for a weekend and the winner asked for the cash instead....
    we are the coventry of Ireland and its all these cretins fault.
    I am so angry :mad:

In terms of being a dangerous city or town, then I do not think it is a lot worse or a lot better than most other towns and cities in Ireland.

I do however think that there is a disproportionate number of undesirable types on the main streets and shopping areas when compared to Cork or Dublin. Having previously worked for the same company in the Blanchardstown Centre, Patrick Street in Cork, and O' Connell Street in Limerick, it was O'Connell Street that was the worst for rough types and shoplifters by a long way, and keep in mind that Blanchardstown is massive with a large population and is meant to be rough.

Our scum seem to stick their noses in everywhere and seem to make a point of trying to arrive in numbers at anything new, especially something that is either free or easy to get near to, in the city and generally be loud and obnoxious whilst there.

In other cities it does not seem to happen to the same degree. What I actually put a lot of this down to is Garda foot patrols. You walk along the main street of Cork during the day or at night and you will have Gardai strolling around where they can be seen, same with Dublin and Galway. On O'Connel Street in Limerick there is not a constant Garda presence on foot that can be seen by our scum, and that can be checking up on the scum.

We also have the highest % of social/council houses of any of the cities in Ireland, think it was listed at 42% of all housing and accomadation in Limerick is social/council housing, and whilst that is not to say that the people in them are the trouble, in fact the majority of those in them are great people, the very fact we have more of them means there are more places for our scum to breed.

Another thing about Limerick is the fact it is a very small city, in fact it is closer to a town in size, so the proximity to undesirable types is much closer, plus they are living in pretty much every estate and area in the city and suburbs, whereas in other cities they seem to be a bit more confined to certain areas.

So a very dangerous city? Pretty much the same as most other places in Ireland.

Can it be an unpleasant place due to a large number of unsavoury types that come from every area? Yes it can be, and this is probably closer to the truth. It is also something that I think could be improved in a dramatic fashion with an increase of foot patrols as I said earlier.

Yes we should all be able to go out and enjoy the city, but it is not always so easy if you have certain types nearby that are making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

of all my gripes with town the following is the most depressing of all

" no matter what amenities we have, they take them over. Everything. U cant go for a game of snooker but they are there, u cant go swimming in St Endas but they are there, when funderland comes to town they are like moths to a flame. The Ice Rink at christmas at the potatoe market is FULL of them. Thomond Park on match day is teeming with them. Bowling alleys are breeding grounds for them, and lets not even start on cinemas and shopping centres! Have u been to the crescent lately!!!frown.gif"

would anyone disagree with any of that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Paulegend wrote: »

You mean the "little girl" who seems to have made up a rape claim?

Limerick has it's problems but I don't think it's a dangerous city, no more so than Cork or Dublin at any rate. However, I do think Limerick city centre is very run down at this makes it seem a little dingy and gray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

yawn at this thread, limerick people are worse than the press that go on about us

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

" no matter what amenities we have, they take them over. Everything. U cant go for a game of snooker but they are there, u cant go swimming in St Endas but they are there, when funderland comes to town they are like moths to a flame. The Ice Rink at christmas at the potatoe market is FULL of them. Thomond Park on match day is teeming with them. Bowling alleys are breeding grounds for them, and lets not even start on cinemas and shopping centres! Have u been to the crescent lately!!!frown.gif"

I wouldn't disagree with you entirely, but I would suggest you're exaggerating the numbers somewhat. I posted in the "Limerick On A Sunny Day" thread about one particularly obnoxious young lad who spoiled my ten minutes in the park. While there were plenty of people there at the time, some of whom dressed "respectably" and others not so, he was alone in causing trouble. I felt annoyed, but never intimidated.

Your other examples are interesting. I've never been a fan of Funderland anyway, so I'd probably be biased in your favour there.
    I haven't been to St. Enda's since I was in primary school, but I can't recall it ever being a scene of agravation. What time of the day would you usually go for a swim there?
    I also feel you're unfairly harsh on the ice-rink. I went there in January and had a great time. It's really a case of just avoiding the busiest sessions, as they are obviously going to be more stressful.

As for Thomond Park? I've been doing a bit of stewarding there recently, and the only people who ever cause trouble there are the youngest members of the audience. There's always 50-odd kids who want to hang around on the pitch after games. They annoy us who have to keep the pitch clear, but I can't see how they could affect one's enjoyment of the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to agree with the poster who said he never sees it at Thomond Park. I have never seen hassle inside the ground similar to what gets seen in the city centre.

As for funderland or anything simliar, I tend to avoid those things like the plague when they are in Limerick.

The bowling alley one I will agree with, If you want to go bowling head to Cork to the Leisureplex where there are about 15 lanes, hot food, pool tables, arcade machines and a jukebox under one roof. There is always a good mixture of adults and kids of all ages and backgrounds there and no hassle. Why? Because they have security that throw out troublemakers or those who try to cause trouble, and things like running across bowling lanes simply does not happen.

Snooker and pool in Limerick, have to say I stopped playing snooker in Limerick because it became full of people roaring their heads off and literally wrestling with each other whilst other people were trying to play. Again Cork is where I go now for snooker and pool, if my times and the times of those whom I play with coincide.

With the cinemas, it pretty much depends on which of the cinemas you go to and on what day of the week.

Storm would be my choice in Limerick as I find it has a better screen/speaker set up with more comfortable seats. The Omniplex on a Sunday becomes a scumhole at times and also at certain times on a Saturday afternoon.

The Crescent Shopping centre is a bit of a magnet for scum alright, especially on Thursday and Friday nights and at the weekends. The bigger crowds let those who want to cause trouble/rob blend in more to get up to their stuff. Again a lot boils down to how small Limerick is and how a lot of things are within walking distance. Given that I live near it, this side of town would be where I see the scum out on a daily basis.

The school swimming pool I know nothing about at all, as I have only been in St Endas about five times in my life but never saw anything out of the way when I was there.

The Ice rink did not seem that bad last winter when it was there, was more a case of people rubbernecking to see what was going on than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paulegend wrote: »
    Geoghan, Collins...........

where they "looking for trouble"??????????

Fair point. No they weren't looking for trouble. But these shameful incidents happen everywhere.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

liam you are talkin absolute b######t listenin to you their everywhere pubs restaurants bowling alleys... obviously you focus on the underbelly of limerick... not every young lad in a tracksuit and hoodie is a scumbag.. you asked if limerick was dangerous but in your post i dont see examples of danger just that you seem to be paranoid of the way people look or speak..i do agree their is a certain sham element in our city but no way to the extinct your trying to put across...

You mean the "little girl" who seems to have made up a rape claim?

Limerick has it's problems but I don't think it's a dangerous city, no more so than Cork or Dublin at any rate. However, I do think Limerick city centre is very run down at this makes it seem a little dingy and gray.

wtf????????????????????

you serious i didnt hear that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Limerick is a relatively safe city, at the end of the day its only ireland, many people dress scobey and look scobey but would be genuinely nice people, limerick has a very high proportion of council houses, something like 33 or 44% which is the highest by far than the national average, so you would have a lot more 'less affluent' areas and people tend to be brought up without parental supervision and all that so they run riot and do their own thing in big groups..lack of amnities etc cause this, Limerick has and always will have a tough reputation, its a tough town..but that doesn't necessarily mean its unsafe..

and on the story with scobes in the crescent, EVERY shopping centre has its scobes because its somewhere to go to, the place is in raheen which is a suburban town in its own right, population of over 20,000 so your bount to get a few knackers out that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

F**CKING pack of whingers the whole lot of ya!! if your so scared F**KING move!! if you dont like the way people in this city dress complain to the clothes shops for selling the F**KING clothes!! and your saying now i cant scratch my balls in fear of being labeled a scobe!! i have lived in this city all my life and have frequented the "dodgier" parts of the city all my life.. im not scared why are you?

if a few kids in tracksuits n tackies scare ya then you need to just stay at home and do your shopping on the internet.. you dont have to go to town if you dont want too..

this forum is so full of whingers.. grow up! or should i say grow a pair (but dont scratch em in public).

limerick dangerous = no

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

For the regular joe on the street, Limerick is no more dangerous than any other town/city of it's size. In fact, in my 13 years here, I have seen 1 fist fight.

However, there is far more scum hanging around the city than other cities such as Galway or Cork. It's funny, over a 2 hour period around the city on a Saturday a few weeks back I saw...replace "kids, girls" etc for whatever words you want to use for thse people.

-Young kids throwing water baloons at passersby
    -3 separate groups of girls wearing pyjamas
    -Woman on the phone telling someone that if they dont give them the Argos catalog number for the item she wanted, she'll stab 'em to death (obviously wasnt a threat, but the language used was quite embarassing).
    -A gang of youths terrorising people on bikes
    -A couple in tracksuits calling each other every name under the sun, watched by 3 stunned American tourists.

Combine that with the professional beggers, the heroin users begging for money, the boyracers taking liberties on the streets, it makes Limerick look dreadful.

Oh, and no Gardai on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

FutureGuy wrote: »
    -Young kids throwing water baloons at passersby
    -3 separate groups of girls wearing pyjamas
    -Woman on the phone telling someone that if they dont give them the Argos catalog number for the item she wanted, she'll stab 'em to death (obviously wasnt a threat, but the language used was quite embarassing).
    -A gang of youths terrorising people on bikes
    -A couple in tracksuits calling each other every name under the sun, watched by 3 stunned American tourists.

Combine that with the professional beggers, the heroin users begging for money, the boyracers taking liberties on the streets, it makes Limerick look dreadful.

My god how boring your saturdays would be if you didnt see all this happening.. i mean you could do your actual shopping in an hour in this town its so crap.. just be glad that when you finished up in town you could head out home where its probably nice n quiet and whinge all evening on the internet..

on my trip to town on the same day i saw the following:

-Young kids having fun with their moms and dads
    -3 separate groups of girls wearing whatever they want to as its their own business
    -Woman on the phone exercising her right to freedom of speech
    -A gang of youths doing not much
    -A couple in tracksuits minding their own business (like you should)

Combine that with the fake bandwagon jumping munster supporters, corrupt politicans and people like you looking down their noses at everyone who is not like you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement