Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

t

Quid = money. Took me a while to get around that one. Now I am using it myself. When I say it to my friends from UK, they always go "wtf" on me.

utter rubbish. Almost everyone in the UK uses "quid" to refer to Sterling. I've never heard anyone say "That costs 20 pounds" always "twenty quid".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

blinding wrote: »
    or a rake of this

Does anyone know how muck a rake of is

A bit more than a 'lock'. I bought a lock of dem sweets the other day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I was often called a "Ludramon" in my youth, not sure how common that one is.

ludramon was a common word for where we lived, also, Sleemadoir, silemolly, amadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

well boy!
    Well, boy! I tell ya, I've a hankering for some red lead blaas!
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The shore's blocked. Shore meaning drains. More a Dublin one
    Definitely in use in Waterford too.
    Wibbs wrote:
    One that really gets head scratching is if you say someone is being "bold". Makes no sense to non hiberno english speakers.
    IIRC 'dána' means both 'brave' and 'naughty', so it's another example of a direct translation from Irish which doesn't quite make sense in English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

fcuk it it'll do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    People were saying jumper loooooong before that song came out.

aye, Jumpers for goal posts anyone?

hers a few I remember from years ago

That's cat (catmalogen) \ really bad

Shes hot in her leather \ Woman scantily clad

Merciful hour look at the state of him \ hes in bad shape

Look at Lady muck \ Stuck up woman

The lad has a gammy leg \ his leg is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

A friend got a few strange looks when in a dive bar in Phoenix. He stood up and proclaimed he was going outside to "smoke a fag"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

M5 wrote: »
    A friend got a few strange looks when in a dive bar in Phoenix. He stood up and proclaimed he was going outside to "smoke a fag"

My boss has been over in Canada a few times and asked to bum a fag. That's always amusing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

M5 wrote: »

I was once told by an English teacher about the time during an internship she did in New York where she walked into the teacher's lounge and asked if anyone had a rubber she could borrow.

She said she never understood the looks of utter confusion and embarrassment until a colleague later told her that they call them "erasers". Rubbers would be rubber johnies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the 'fags" and the 'rubbers" stories are so out-dated they are boring. I think everyone that has left Ireland has had this experience. Just ain't funny any more.

just saying.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Larianne wrote: »
    The Australians always got confused when I said "yer man".
    "which man? Who? Huh?" :)

And one poor German lad never understood when someone was talking about a 'fillim'. When I explained, it solved the mystery of quite a few conversations where he got lost.

I find 'going to the pictures' much more confusing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ludramon was a common word for where we lived, also, Sleemadoir, silemolly, amadan.

All Irish words except silemolly possibly.

They can have different meanings in different parts of the country but...

Liúdramán = Lazy fool.

Sliamadór (sp) = Dishonest, untrustworthy person.

silmolly... no idea

Amadán = eejit. (not that I needed to explain that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ruaille buaille

Sconce. As in to have a look at something
    "Ah sure I'll go in and have a sconce around."

Advertisement