Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

FatherTed wrote: »

I had to explain to my yankee wife that the "c[/u]nt" word is not as bad in Ireland as in the US. Also she thinks it's funny when Irish people say they have "Tree" kids but thats more of a pronunciation issue.

i was walking through a town in the midlands once when it started lashing rain. the lady on the footpath in front of me recognised someone she knew and shouted across 'well joe, isn't a cúnt of a day!'
    after that, the word became acceptable!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

FatherTed wrote: »
    It seems the older people here in the US understand the quarter past four and the quarter to five thing more so than the younger ones.

I had to explain to my yankee wife that the "c[/u]nt" word is not as bad in Ireland as in the US. Also she thinks it's funny when Irish people say they have "Tree" kids but thats more of a pronunciation issue.
    My kids do live in a tree but I am not sure how many I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I don't know if it's been posted in the thread yet, but I find the reversal of the word 'doubt' very amusing.

IE, if it's raining:
    "I doubt youd need an umbrella out today"

I used to annoy my flatmate with that a lot last year :D

I doubt it sounds weird coming from an English accent.

<.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

well jesus tonight:D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Your Man

Your Woman

Go on ourra dat

Get Up the yard.

For starters

• Advertisement

Headwrecker

Me Boll*x

Schwaaaaaaaaaaaaaar - As uttered by the reputable skanger folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

more sayings- like, you wouldn't hammer a bag of nails, or you're as handy as a small pot:p!! only an irish person could appreciate said handiness!!

oh, handy, there's one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

been here too long, methinks - most of the examples don't even bother me anymore...

particularly weird I find are "die on someone" (as in, the cat almost died on me" - not physically, obviously) (and I know it comes from the Irish...).

"Bockety" is one of my favourites (as in, "bockety hips)", and same "gamey' (as in "gamey legs").

"Mouldy drunk" and "maudlin'"

The time is irritating, too - in Germany, 16.30 is 'half five' (half an hour TO five). Here, it's half four. I always have to double-check using military time at home, to make sure I don't end up arriving too late, like a "spa"...(sorry, not PC, but another Irishism, I think))

Skanky

Scaldy

Manky

Me Oul One

Me Oul Fella

Me Hole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

"Off of a" is one but I think that's particular to Dublin, or maybe specific parts of Dublin. As in "Do you want a piece of cake?" "Yeah give us a small piece off of a it" Also us used instead of me.

What about "give it over" meaning to stop doing something, is that only used in Ireland?

Don't think anyones mentioned Savage yet. Was in scotland recently and they absolutely that. They just thought it was class that it could be used to describe anything.

Was in Australia a bit back and they found it absolutelythat we used animals as verbs. "I'd horse her out of it" "Wolf that sandwich into ye"

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

'Whats the story?' confused me when I moved here, never knew what to say in response.

Also people in work talking openly about going for a session after work/weekend/whenever, where im from it doesnt exactly have the same meaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

" 'Ride Me Sideways' was another one Father!!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

When I was in the States for a J1 they couldn't grasp how I told the time

American Co-worker: What time is it?
    Me: Half four.
    A: Huh? Half four? Two?
    M: No as in half past four
    A: Oh four-thirty.

'Half-past four' they could get but 'half four' was beyond them.

That does my head in! if it was two I'd say two wouldn't I? FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

i love the way irish people say sorry instead of excuse me....

I was in New York during the summer, and there were works going on with the subway, so the trains were a bit messed up. I hadn't really a clue what was going on, so I decided to ask a policewoman to give me a hand. So I said to her, "Sorry, could you tell me how to get to Union Square?" Now, I'm sure that would have been fine, except, like most Irish people, I have a tendency to speak extremely fast compared to the Americans, which I quickly understood as the woman looked absolutely shocked, drew herself up to her full height and shouted at me, "DID YOU JUST CALL ME SIR?!" Took me a minute to realise what she was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

I don't know if it has been said already but saying "good luck" as opposed to "goodbye" strikes me as an irishism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Me bird :eek: me fella :eek: me mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

In the states I said to a co-worker while in a shop "does anything take your fancy?"

He hadn't a clue what I meant. Not really an irishism but something that didn't travel none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

I've had to eradicate all these wonderful expressions from my vocabulary since I've been living in the states. I miss them SO much.

I have however, got one of my mates from New Jersey saying "like," after all her sentences. Pure Limerick like!

Reading this thread makes me miss home so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

They say "like" at the end of a sentence more often in Britain... what, now its Irish? Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ruu wrote: »
    Will you hoover the floor?
    I will! (means I won't:confused:, the way you say it.)
    I will, yeah...:rolleyes:

(I will in me hole...)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

LambsEye wrote: »
    I've had to eradicate all these wonderful expressions from my vocabulary since I've been living in the states. I miss them SO much.

I have however, got one of my mates from New Jersey saying "like," after all her sentences. Pure Limerick like!

Reading this thread makes me miss home so much!

If I may say that is not the best approach, u need to introduce more irishisms, until eventually you start to convert them!

I work for extended times with groups of French/Germans/Swiss/Italians etc so as part of our cultural exchange we teach each other all of our local slang. The pay off comes when u have a middle aged French guy giving out about some "manky youngone" asking you "what's the Craic" or " scoups?"
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

kerryman12 wrote: »
    If I may say that is not the best approach, u need to introduce more irishisms, until eventually you start to convert them!

I work for extended times with groups of French/Germans/Swiss/Italians etc so as part of our cultural exchange we teach each other all of our local slang. The pay off comes when u have a middle aged French guy giving out about some "manky youngone" asking you "what's the Craic" or " scoups?"
    Happy days

YES. New project! Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

may= have to (not might)

I may do that now or I'll forget.
    He may do it too, so he may.

The "giving out" is "probly" our most amusing to others expression, I tink.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

cucbuc wrote: »
    may= have to (not might)

'cucbuc' :D
    'becpec'
    Am all out...

Johro wrote: »
    'cucbuc' :D
    'becpec'
    Am all out...
    :p hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

cucbuc wrote: »
    may= have to (not might)

May - such a Kildare expression

kerryman12 wrote: »
    May - such a Kildare expression

big in laois too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

"While rare" - Donegal saying meaning very strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

'Give us a goo'= Let me look at that

Advertisement