Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

"give us a slug of that"= can I have some of your drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Hooked

Using the word terrible for something that's not?

My Da describing the last race:
    Jaysus, that dog ran terrible well.

Or upon hearing someone had died:
    He was a terrible nice fella.

And my most explained Limerick-ism...
    Tackies!

Are you nearly ready?
    Ya, hold on a minute till I throw on my tackies!

Throw on? Even that looks strange now that I think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned 'yerra' or 'yurra'

its our own interjection and can be used in a variety of ways and express a wind range of emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

“Is it yerself that’s in it? Didn’t ya go home yet?”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

fuukupyacuntya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Hooked wrote: »
    Using the word terrible for something that's not?

My Da describing the last race:
    Jaysus, that dog ran terrible well.

Or upon hearing someone had died:
    He was a terrible nice fella.

And my most explained Limerick-ism...
    Tackies!

Are you nearly ready?
    Ya, hold on a minute till I throw on my tackies!

Throw on? Even that looks strange now that I think about it!

Also using the word fierce as "very" with words anything but fierce.
    He is fierce nice.
    She is fierce gentle with dem kids.

But can also be used in the neg:
    eg he is a fierce eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Calling all beaches tra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Donegalism: Aye I know aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

Irishism: wigs on the green (to fight)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm not racist but [ insert extremely racist comment here]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

When your trying to describe some girl thats big, "size a that one ovar der" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Me mate was wearin de face off some wet yoke in de club las nigh" - "my chum shared a kiss with a young lady in a nightclub yesterday evening"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

"Now in a minute" is one of my favourites.
    It means exactly what it says, except without the word "Now". It means I'll do it in a minute, but we love to throw in the now beforehand, making the sentence a complete contradiction of itself.

I've always wanted to make a war movie called Apocalypse Now In A Minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Had a American cousin stay with us for 6 months while he did some of his degree here. He eventually got used to the Dublin way of speaking "gis a look of that" "howiya" "you stallin it". Main problem for him as well was apparently how fast we speak and let words run into one another.

He was completely fúcked though when he went down the country for a month to other relatives. "It's fierce cold" "Whats the craic bhooiy". He didn't even know they were saying boy by the way they were pronouncing it, let alone understand why they were throwing boy on the end of sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

"I slept it out" is another Irishism which confuses people outside Ireland, I said it once to my work colleagues in England and they looked slightly puzzled & asked "What did you sleep out"?

They say "I overslept" which is probably more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

My dad's girlfriend is from Liverpool and it took her years to get to grips with our phrases. Even now after 8 years, she still laughs when I say "Yeah, I'll do it now in a minute."

She also loves "Howye!" because we say it like it's a statement as opposed to actually asking.

Oh and "Press" is another one. I lived in London for a year last year and my housemates and friends couldn't fathom why I said press. Apparently "Cupboard" makes more grammatical sense! :confused:

"Hot press" (Airing cupboard) also confuses the hell out of outsiders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Here are some great Dublinisms: Crips, hostibal, pasgetti, chimley, drownded, babby, go me toilet/dirt

And "Here, giz a shot o' dat!" when you want a turn of something.

You are doing Dubs a disservice there, it's not a regional thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Over two hundred and twenty-nine posts in an no mention of "stall it," a real multi-purpose term, the meanings of which can be diametrically opposed depending on context.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stall the diggeR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

Said "spuds" to an Australian. Hadn't a clue what it meant which suprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

'Smashin' is a nice one - Derived I'm told from the Irish 'Is maith é sin' (That's good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The term '' Down on my Hunkers '' is something I use to hear a lot as a kid In Dublin but my bro in law from the north side is the only person I know who still uses it .

Use to greet this English girl I knew with '' how's the form ? '' to which she would reply '' but I dont live on a farm '' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

A lot of Irishisms come from Gaeilge, one I heard a few days ago, supposedly common in Tipp, is a 'culakine name' (cool-la-kin-a) meaning choosing a name for a child that was never in the family before. Literally turning your back on your family.

Using 'Jeep' as the generic term is another Irishism, just baught a Nissan 'Jeep'.

In any other country the generic term is 4X4 or SUV, but here everybody seems to talk about their BMW Jeep, or their Nissan Jeep, Land Rover Jeep, etc, even the Gardai use 'Jeep' as the generic, (Gardai are are asking the public to be on the lookout for a red coloured Jeep in connection with) . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

liah wrote: »
    "I'm after doing x"

Irish has no pluperfect: instead, "after" is added to the present continuous (a verb ending in "-ing").

The idiom for "I had done X when I did Y" is "I was after doing X when I did Y", modelled on the Irish usage of the compound prepositions i ndiaidh, tar éis, and in éis: bhí mé tar éis/i ndiaidh/in éis X a dhéanamh, nuair a rinne mé Y.
    "do be"

Some speakers use the verb "to be" in English similarly to how they would in Irish, using a "does be/do be" construction to indicate this latter continuous present:

* "He does be working every day." Bíonn sé ag obair gach lá.
    * "They do be talking on their mobiles a lot." Bíonn siad ag caint go leor ar a fóin póca.
    * "He does be doing a lot of work at school." Bíonn sé ag déanamh go leor oibre ar scoil.
    * "It's him I do be thinking of." Is air a bhíonn mé ag smaoineamh.
    "craic"

'Crack' is Middle-English loan word to Irish. The Irish speling became 'craic'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Yerra sure t'was grand.
    He has his codding cap on! (something my granny says)
    Ah the cratur.
    Get away outta that!
    I will yeah.
    C'mere to me.
    I will in my arse.
    I'm breaking my ****e.
    Ah ya gob****e.
    The gaatch on him.
    The head on him.
    She had no meas in it. (She had no interest in it)
    T'was gas.
    He's after breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The Falcon wrote: »
    'Smashin' is a nice one - Derived I'm told from the Irish 'Is maith é sin' (That's good)

No way? That's from Gaeilge? Thought it was an English saying that migrated here. But that's actually pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Stall the ball

Ah he/she(etc) is bet down (as ugly as sin)

ye wha'?

I will in me ar(s)e or ask me ar(s)e and let me know if you get an answer

Deadly buzz

Rapid

The gob on that

Ger outta town

Shut yer face

Put the delph in the press (loved that away, no-one got it at all!)

And the one that people from here when talking, "ah sure yer wan there was with yer man and whats his face was with that yolk from blah de blah" or "you know that thing for the yolk" and you always know what the mean, know wha' I mean?????

Lick it off a scabby leg, (loves drink)

He hasn't stones in his pocket

And for the Canadians:)......Met you at half 7.....when I was there all I got was blank stares and this was followed by, no I will meet you at 7 thirty, yeah I just said that!

Do ye wan' yer go??? (Normally from someone who wants to fight you)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

No way? That's from Gaeilge? Thought it was an English saying that migrated here. But that's actually pretty cool

Phoney comes from fáinne, meaning ring: A cheap-ass ring that Irish emmigrants flogged to the Yanks.

Smithereens comes from smiodarín / smidrín: meaning 'little bits'.

Galore comes from Go Leor: Plenty.

There are many more, but these ones are confirmed.

Advertisement