Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

spend an hour with about four people i know and you'll never have heard the like'ooo some a the shtuff they do be comin out with, janie mack sure they're cook malojian some of them, like some of them roads around mayo, jaysus sure the fella that laid them tha first day ever must have had a reel in his head!! i'll put the curse a fcuk down on him if he doesnt goway ou' tha'!!ara musha sure tis all part a the culture like!! nathin to be ashamed of!!

I find older people hilarious tho, but i've started to notice the blatant ommision of the words "to the" in sentences which require said, e.g. I'm goin toilet.. I'm goin niteclub... very annoying!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Gis a goo - Let me see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

and also, don't think its been mentioned thus far, but the addition of ín or een to everything! ah the poor ladeen!!!:D

my granny used to call people she didn't like striapach, i'd say she didnt know it translates from irish as prostitute!! those auld wans, what will they do next:p???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ask me hole is my favourite thing ever to say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

noticed quite a lot of this stuff while overseas, but one that's not been mentioned yet is 'yoke' for 'thing'...

'wouldya pass's that yoke over there? *points*... y'no, the yoke-me-bob...'
    or a rake of this

Does anyone know how muck a rake of is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Our language is fairly banjaxed but sure tis grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i love the way irish people say sorry instead of excuse me....

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

mikemac wrote: »

Is it true they don't have Red lemonade in England? :eek:
    I've heard it from a few people
    I know they have something called brown lemonade. Ewwwwwww :p
    Sounds disgusting

Hi
    no red lemonade in England (unless you go to a few Irish shops who import it. Ony know a couple in London). Cant get galtee cheese or tayto crisps either. Always used to stock up when I came to visit the relatives here.......not a problem now I live here though (lol)

Don't know about the brown lemonade though - care to elaborate?

Fran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"are you coming on a bender?" can mean two different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

catch the bang off that --used to describe a horrible smell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

wel you usually say excuse me when your in somones way....not after you bump into them:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm sure they say that in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Fran79 wrote: »
    Hi
    no red lemonade in England (unless you go to a few Irish shops who import it. Ony know a couple in London). Cant get galtee cheese or tayto crisps either. Always used to stock up when I came to visit the relatives here.......not a problem now I live here though (lol)

Don't know about the brown lemonade though - care to elaborate?

Fran
    cant get proper white pudding either.....or the ultimate irish snack......the spice burger

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

the word f*ck as in to throw, caused hilarity when a friend was telling an american friend how some male friends of hers threw a girl over a wall. as in "they f*cked her over the wall"..

or, what did you do with your apple core? "I f*cked it out the window"

quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

AHSHERGWANOUTTATHATYOUSIRTISAFAIRCLOSEDAYFORTHEBOG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Take a tint outta that glass, its a shadeen too full now coz i'm after puttin a rake of vodka into it meself, but it tastes grand but.

I'm sure you already know that " in about 10 minutes" means "sometime today" and "in a minute" means "stop fukkin annoying me, i'll do it meself when i'm ready"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lou.34

Working in the US over the summer they found 'no bother' particularly interesting. Also, saying 'half six' or whatever time...one even turned around to me and said 'What, you mean three o' clock?' :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ish when referring to time

Telling a bunch of foreigners that "We'll meet up at 7 ish" Most of them will be there at 18:55, Spanish / italians won't be there till 19:15 , First Irish person will saunter down at half 7 nice and relaxed ( The Northern Europeans think there must have been some terrible accident ) saying how Pat's just phoned and he's just at the bus stop ( we'd know that Pat's lying of course )

The delph is in the press.

Come here till I tell you.

He's still got his communion money.

Saying thanks to the bus driver. "but it's his job "

"Horse"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like someone asking if there is a word in Irish like the Spanish mañana and being told there are a few but none of the convey the same overriding sense of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Abroad and adin - I'll explain!

Abroad meaning a place, preceived as being on the periphery of another equally rural but possibly more important place, maybe 5 to 10 miles away, but no more than 15 miles. ie "Yerman, Timmy, shure hes abroad in ballygobackwards all the time now since he got that job out there"

Adin - Again a place, perceived as being in the centre of the action, maybe a big village with more than one pub, or even a town. ie "Yerman, Timmy, shure hes adin in the big smoke in Kiltimagh nowadays, the lucky hoor!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

Yer man in da shop goes to me...

"Goes" meaning "says, said"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Shift = kiss - I shifted her
    Meet = kiss/go out with - Will you meet my friend?
    I'd ride her = I'd f**k her

Wide= With it/knowledgeable
    My uncle would say "I'm wide as a gate" meaning "I'm in the know"

Bandy = not working properly - "He had a bandy leg"
    Gammy = same as Bandy

Scobe/Skanger/ = unsavoury individual

Caffling = mild scrapping like pushing each other around in the back of class

Eccer = homework (from exercises I think)

The Guards = Police (from Gardaí in Irish) when I talk about trouble with the guards, people think I am telling a tale from prison or something.....

Gallabandy = Slingshot

Mither = to bother or annoy

A pan of bread = A loaf of bread
    Bla/Blaaa = Small floury bread roll (Specific to Waterford)
    Rashers = slices of bacon. In other countries, people would say "rashers of bacon" but we would say rashers.

Vodka and white = Vodka and white (lemonade)
    Not understood in other countries because they don't have red lemonade so they don't need to distinguish

Mitching & dagging = Playing truant from school.
    Get out of my road = Get out of my way

Cowld = bogger pronunciation of cold. Also, "fierce cowld" and "bitter cowld" for "very cold"

a soft day = light rain

There are loads more here and a lot more interesting stuff besides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno_English#Lexicon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

'now' said before any sentence or merely on its own, in a shop it represents the fact that you have received service more quickly than normal.
    'he has the head of ...' looks like, not killed and removed head
    'ate the face off him' didn't actually do this but did at least get shouty whilst stopping short of any Hannibalism
    'What's strange?' as a greeting, not to be responded to with 'the pronunciation of eczema' but more likely 'my dog managed to pee in the toilet today'.
    'Arr ye f***ing c**t' actually meant as a warm hearted greeting.
    not somethign you say but not showing your card in poker and being treated like a leper for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Mither = to bother or annoy

Steven Gerrard used the word mither when he was giving evidence at his trial. I remember a Sky newsreader asking a reporter what it meant. :pac:

Not sure if it's used commonly in Scouseland, or just by the Irisher's..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

See you now.

When saying goodbye to a foreigner it always throws them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Steven Gerrard used the word mither when he was giving evidence at his trial. I remember a Sky newsreader asking a reporter what it meant. :pac:

Not sure if it's used commonly in Scouseland, or just by the Irisher's..

Used a lot in the midlands UK like 'nesh'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i remember back in my school days, some of the rough lads use to say to me and other sissys:o..."you're afraid of your sh*t"

is that expression still around the school yards of the country??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This is a gas thread, but shure it's a gas country.

(Can't believe nobody's mentioned GAS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

"ye right?"
    (Are you ready? My son.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ruu wrote: »
    Aye, I have heard '45 after 4'(4:45) and 'quarter after 4'(4:15) as well. The past thing confuses a lot of people. :)

It seems the older people here in the US understand the quarter past four and the quarter to five thing more so than the younger ones.

I had to explain to my yankee wife that the "c[/u]nt" word is not as bad in Ireland as in the US. Also she thinks it's funny when Irish people say they have "Tree" kids but thats more of a pronunciation issue.

Advertisement