Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Have a habit of saying "Stop" when some one says something I absolutely agree with it. But if the speak is foreign then they think i telling them to shutup.

American: Ugh if this queue last any longer I'm going to wet myself
    Me: Stop! I know!
    American: Oh i'm sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

He doesn't know if he wants a sh1te or a haircut (He doesn't know what he wants)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

my mates in England think its real funny when I say 'Gas'.. as in thats Gas =funny!... For ages one of the girls didnt have a clue what I was talking bout!
    Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Have a habit of saying "Stop" when some one says something I absolutely agree with it. But if the speak is foreign then they think i telling them to shutup.

American: Ugh if this queue last any longer I'm going to wet myself
    Me: Stop! I know!
    American: Oh i'm sorry

I think an American dealt with someone that did this (wet themselves and him) at a bus stop outside Trinity last year. But I thought the pi$$ artist was really pi$$ed. Anyway, the whole tawdry scenario finished up in front of the beak.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Scruffles wrote: »
    -danus [dangerous],he makes the word sound less serious than it shoud be.
    :confused:

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's always been a jumper to me. I've never heard any Irish person refer to it as a Sweater, never.

Geansai :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Don't understand how people when they pass each other on the street etc, and this is the conversation.

"Well howiya doing"
    Ah well how are you"

and they keep walking with noone knowing an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You heard about " your man " doing x and y.

It got very popular to say at work at one stage and it was very confusing to me. I don't even know that person!!!

Quid = money. Took me a while to get around that one. Now I am using it myself. When I say it to my friends from UK, they always go "wtf" on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cyril peter

who's the hoorsmelt that broke my window.

she has a face on her, like she got struck with a bag of chisels.

irish bride on honeymoon, says to well endowed husband "dont mind me crying make me take it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

"They'd steal the ****e out of your arse so they would! The dirty Sasanaigh bastards!" = anyone giving out about any group of people in particular

"The shower up in ____!"

"Did ya hear about what's her face?"

"She's as mad as a bag of spiders!"

"Ah shure **** it anyway!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Sensual Cucumber

That fella, hes as useless as a bull with tits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I slept it out . . . . .

Said that in London once, and got a quizzical look, "what did you sleep out" mate?

Since then I would say "I overslept", which seems to be the more logical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

El Spearo wrote: »
    Don't understand how people when they pass each other on the street etc, and this is the conversation.

"Well howiya doing"
    Ah well how are you"

and they keep walking with noone knowing an answer.

Ever been to Waterford? The usual greeting is "Well", to which the reply is "Well". So you have two people passing each other and all they say is "Well", "Well", and both keep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

He'd steal your stove and come back for the smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Ask me arse

go and sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

He wouldn't give you the Steam off his Piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

He's a big long streak of piss/misery
    Sh1t or get off the pot (make up your mind)
    You're some can of piss
    Sorry all piss/sh1t related:pac:

He doesn't know his arse from his elbow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just "yer man" - that's sufficiently confusing. I'm still amazed that any thinking human being can use that in a conversation, since you know it will be followed, immediately, by "who?" :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I wouldnt ride her into battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

kylith wrote: »
    Ever been to Waterford? The usual greeting is "Well", to which the reply is "Well". So you have two people passing each other and all they say is "Well", "Well", and both keep walking.

well boy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The shore's blocked. Shore meaning drains. More a Dublin one I think and comes from around the Tudor era apparently, so Shakespeare would understand it, but his descendants are "WTF". Clearly his descendants are less erudite. :D I seem to recall Press for cupboard is also from that time as is "mitch(from school)". Though cupboard is an odd name given it's originally a table set aside for well cups and plates and the like. "Press" is actually more in keeping with the original purpose. We tend to say gotten more than got too. Though the British and us will say China for plates and such, we say Delph more(both from the origins of ceramics, China from well... and Delph from Delft in Holland). We use bring instead of take. From the Irish IIRC EG "make sure you bring your keys with you". Take is the more usual one for other english speakers. One that really gets head scratching is if you say someone is being "bold". Makes no sense to non hiberno english speakers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Yeah 'bold' is a strange one, it means Brave in the UK an America I.e. that's a bold move

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

However the French say "en forme?" all the time so it's not the worst one.

Northern people saying "I'll lift ya at your house".

Kerry people saying "yerra ya" meaning no.

Cork people saying "I will, boyyy" meaning no.

Ludramán would be a common replacement for amadán in Gaeltacht areas.

AKA Laitcheko in some areas of the country.

Quid = money. Took me a while to get around that one. Now I am using it myself. When I say it to my friends from UK, they always go "wtf" on me.

Quid is widely used in Britain, maybe your UK friends are just a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dewey collins

answering "I will ya" if u asked to do something u don't like and answering "how bad" when u are asked to do something u like to foreigner this will make no since whats so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Stall it down to me gaff man... bring a few skins... ja know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

"Giving out" used to confuse me as people in Norn Iron tend to say "giving off" instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

It's the Leprechaun thread. I feel like an extra in "The Quiet Man", begorrah, so I do, good man. dediddleyayedadiddlyayeayediddly. Fcuk off. The only place I hear most of these is on re-runs of Glenroe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Need A User Name

You know yourself I wouldn't give her one with yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Sensual Cucumber

Banjaxed...you get right funny looks from non Irish people when you say that;)

Advertisement