Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

my little fella is finally latching on well at one week old! He had a good 10 minute feed and I was so happy I cried. The PHN told me he might never breast feed at all and Id be stuck in this pumping hell im in and supplementing with formula forever.

I think he could feel all the tension in me over it. So glad he and I are finding our rhythm

Ah thats great it really is lovely when you have that moment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hubby was sprawled across the couch while our (almost) 5 year old was messing with Lego. Hubby picks up the toy guitar and starts messing with it.
    Little man pipes up from the corner ... "daddy can you stop doing that please. you're giving me heart failure!!"

I nearly wet myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Over the weekend my 16 month old little man started doing the actions to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - I am so proud :)

I also discovered that he invented his very own game with no prompting from any of the grown ups. He is so smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

My 1 yr old girl has been making this funny gurgly/repetitive noise for quite a while now which I'm dying to record before it stops but she only does it when being changed so my hands are always too full to do so !

It's sounds like repeating 'the gaully' constantly without stopping mixed with a slight gurgle on the g !

God having a kid has softened me up badly, lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

This morning my 4 yo tenderly cups his Moms face, looks her in the eyes smiles and says...

" I looooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeee... The Hulk"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

^^ He has a good choice in superheroes!

My morning love,

Son, "Mom is your age One Two Zero."

Me "No two seven"

Son "wow that's an old age."

Me "Gee, Thanks."

Son "But a beautiful age."

I am going to call him old when he gets to this age!!! If I'm not a fossil by then apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    ^^ He has a good choice in superheroes!

My morning love,

Son, "Mom is your age One Two Zero."

Me "No two seven"

Son "wow that's an old age."

Me "Gee, Thanks."

Son "But a beautiful age."

I am going to call him old when he gets to this age!!! If I'm not a fossil by then apparently.

Brilliant -when I was a kid I used to tell everyone my mother was "two seven" - even when she was actually "four one!".. She was delighted with me and kept spurring me on to tell everyone how old she was! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Haha my dad always told us he was 21 ... we believed it for years, even though it never changed! (And, actually, he was around 30 when the first of us was born!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

We've 2 daughters, one's 4 & one's 8.

8 year old: If you change the channel I'll kill you!

4 year old: What will you do, will you make me old?

I think we've been taking our youngest to too many funerals recently.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

My junior infant told me the Parish Priest came in and gave them all a rash on their foreheads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The nearly two year old girl is taking a huge interest in the toilet and sitting on it etc. In the process, my 3 1/2 year old son has been reminded that she doesn't have a willy and I've explained again that boys have a willy and girls don't.

Cue him concentrating really hard and listing off every person he knows and whether they do or don't have a willy:

Auntie Mary, she doesn't have a willy?
    No.
    Uncle Seán, he has a willy.
    Yes
    And Annie doesn't have a willy.
    That's right
    And daddy has a willy
    Yes

This went on for ages while I tried to hold in the laughing.

The nearly two year old girl is taking a huge interest in the toilet and sitting on it etc. In the process, my 3 1/2 year old son has been reminded that she doesn't have a willy and I've explained again that boys have a willy and girls don't.

Cue him concentrating really hard and listing off every person he knows and whether they do or don't have a willy:

Auntie Mary, she doesn't have a willy?
    No.
    Uncle Seán, he has a willy.
    Yes
    And Annie doesn't have a willy.
    That's right
    And daddy has a willy
    Yes

This went on for ages while I tried to hold in the laughing.

Wait until you are out and about with him and he'll spot somebody that he's unsure of their gender and will ask you aloud ..............."Does that person (usually accompanied by a loud voice and a pointing finger) have a willy?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Was taking my 5yr old nephew to cinema last week. My 6yr old son and 3.5yr old daughter were in the car too.
    We turned round a bend and my nephew said 'ha ha my Willie is wobbly'
    Serious willie talk and laughing all day.
    I thought I'd never stop my daughter saying it .

This is my son and his "babyfriend" - it's just a photo on a random HSE leaflet that I happened to stick in at the side of the changing table when we got home from the hospital.

My son is in love with the little baby on it! If he's upset when he's being changed, the second he sees his babyfriend, he calms right down, and starts stroking the picture.

We call it his babyfriend, because it would be his girlfriend, except we're not entirely sure if it's a boy or a girl! :D

It is so cute. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

This is my son and his "babyfriend" - it's just a photo on a random HSE leaflet that I happened to stick in at the side of the changing table when we got home from the hospital.

My son is in love with the little baby on it! If he's upset when he's being changed, the second he sees his babyfriend, he calms right down, and starts stroking the picture.

We call it his babyfriend, because it would be his girlfriend, except we're not entirely sure if it's a boy or a girl! :D

It is so cute. :o

That's too frikkin cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

My three yr old is gone to bed with a random, foot high, plastic t-Rex wrapped very carefully and gently in a little crochet blanket, I even had to sing it a little song. I am not sure why I found this so touching but it really is very cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

lynski wrote: »
    My three yr old is gone to bed with a random, foot high, plastic t-Rex wrapped very carefully and gently in a little crochet blanket, I even had to sing it a little song. I am not sure why I found this so touching but it really is very cute.

Oh it's all fun and games until the T-Rex gets older and starts biting people's limbs off! Not so cute then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

my little fella is finally latching on well at one week old! He had a good 10 minute feed and I was so happy I cried. The PHN told me he might never breast feed at all and Id be stuck in this pumping hell im in and supplementing with formula forever.

I think he could feel all the tension in me over it. So glad he and I are finding our rhythm

Well done Mamma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There's this little children's song in French about a clown, and there are all sorts of actions, and the last line is "And when I scratch myself, I jump up to the ceiling" and you have to jump in the air. L loves doing the actions but he can't really jump, he just bends over and the pops up, his feet don't leave the floor. It's the funniest thing I've seen all week! :)

Have you a link to the song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Anne Other wrote: »
    Have you a link to the song?
    Yep:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My nearly 3 year old daughter has made a new friend on the street. The new friends name is Sophie, but for some reason, my girl is calling her 'Grumpy'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Anne Other wrote: »
    My junior infant told me the Parish Priest came in and gave them all a rash on their foreheads!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/parishioners-scorched-on-forehead-by-holy-ashes-on-ash-wednesday-30068597.html

Your child was not too wrong after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Oh it's all fun and games until the T-Rex gets older and starts biting people's limbs off! Not so cute then.

he keeps getting confused and thinking it is a dragon and threatening me with fire!
    between that and thinking it has eggs in its belly and we are going to get baby dino/dragons it is hard to keep up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My daughter has taken to collecting old toilet roll inserts and hiding them under her pillow. It's the strangest behaviour I've come across to date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My daughter has taken to collecting old toilet roll inserts and hiding them under her pillow. It's the strangest behaviour I've come across to date.

Hmm. Mine has been stashing them behind the sofa and loses it if he sees them go in the bin. Maybe they know something we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My 3 year old is currently curled up against me, fast asleep. She's getting her back teeth and has a wee bit of a cold, so shortly after 10pm, I heard her crying. Went upstairs, picked her up, gave her a cuddle and her teddy and within a couple of minutes she was back asleep.

I kind of take it for granted most of the time, but tonight I'm smiling at how I can comfort her just by being there. It's like the best superpower in the world.

vitani wrote: »
    My 3 year old is currently curled up against me, fast asleep. She's getting her back teeth and has a wee bit of a cold, so shortly after 10pm, I heard her crying. Went upstairs, picked her up, gave her a cuddle and her teddy and within a couple of minutes she was back asleep.

I kind of take it for granted most of the time, but tonight I'm smiling at how I can comfort her just by being there. It's like the best superpower in the world.

This. This, so much.

I've seen a million times how mothers can soothe their children just by holding them. Never really thought about it too much.

But now that I am a mother, I find it astounding every single day. I pick him up, he realises that it's me picking him up - and he calms down. He's only eight weeks old, how does he even know?! I find it fascinating. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

This. This, so much.

I've seen a million times how mothers can soothe their children just by holding them. Never really thought about it too much.

But now that I am a mother, I find it astounding every single day. I pick him up, he realises that it's me picking him up - and he calms down. He's only eight weeks old, how does he even know?! I find it fascinating. :o

Have you ever read about the fourth trimester? One part is about smell and familiarity - voice and feeling - such comfort to baby.

Advertisement