Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

When we were powerless after storm Darwin on day 3 of no power my little 5 year old came up to me in tears asking if it meant we were poor

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

heading to Dunnes Stores last Tuesday with my 8 and 4 year olds. As we head in the door by the check outs, the smaller fella stops, spreads his arms out and declares "Surprise Motherfu**ers!" Jeez, i nearly collapsed! Thanks big bro!!

That reminds me of the day my then 2.5 year old daughter was discharged from hospital from a condition she was being treated for since birth, to celebrate I took her to a lovely restuarant for our celebratory tea and bun.

A group of old dears had been shopping in various pricey boutiques (judging by their bags) and were admiring DD, and how pleasant and chatty she was, telling me all the things a mother loves to hear.

When we got up to leave they all started waving and saying goodbye, at which my little devil turned to them and said " So long, suck-errrrrrs"

I was mortified.

That reminds me of the day my then 2.5 year old daughter was discharged from hospital from a condition she was being treated for since birth, to celebrate I took her to a lovely restuarant for our celebratory tea and bun.

A group of old dears had been shopping in various pricey boutiques (judging by their bags) and were admiring DD, and how pleasant and chatty she was, telling me all the things a mother loves to hear.

When we got up to leave they all started waving and saying goodbye, at which my little devil turned to them and said " So long, suck-errrrrrs"

I was mortified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Anne Other wrote: »

I was mortified.

Fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My 2.5 year picked up his kiddie guitar earlier (actually a plastic ukulele from Smyths) and started singing the bingly bungly boo song from Peppa pig, only he can't quite say all the words so he was singing "bungly bungly bungly boo" it was adorable.

Then he ran over and got one of his thomas books and goes "mammy will I read you a story?" so I said yes and he sits down with the book and starts 'reading' "ok, here we go, once upon a time, there's thomas, and toby, oh and where's percy? oh there he is, and gordon, and James, now down the hill, now round the bend, now down the hill again. The end!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We went out for a meal last night with our families. Twelve adult and our 6 month old and 4 year old. My brother went and bought some penny sweets for my 4yo who then proceeded to hand them out to everyone (and the waiters). My husband was in the bathroom when this was going on, and the small man asked me where his Daddy was, so I told him and off he went.

My husband said later that he was in a stall and suddenly this little hand appears under the door with a penny sweet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I just got a very excited phone call from Rory to tell me that she'd just seen Santa Claus. A little confused, I asked her where only to be told that he was "getting on the bus in his NORMAL CLOTHES!"

When she handed over to her mammy, I learned she'd screamed "Santa Claus!" as soon as she saw him and the old guy nearly fell off the bus he was laughing so hard. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two kids singing a duet in the bathroom, the Gainsbourg and Birkin classic 69, Année Erotique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Listrydude wrote: »
    heading to Dunnes Stores last Tuesday with my 8 and 4 year olds. As we head in the door by the check outs, the smaller fella stops, spreads his arms out and declares "Surprise Motherfu**ers!" Jeez, i nearly collapsed! Thanks big bro!!

Oh Dear Jesus, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. How is it they know when best to use these words?

Myself, himself and the kids went to his mothers for mother's day/weekend. We went to Tesco while my small fella went with his nan to do a job at the graveyard (she does some work there) when we came home from the shop, he came up to us and declared "I saw Santa's grave" what he meant was he saw a grave with a santa statue on it, but of course, that would sound normal! We spent 40 minutes trying to tell him not to say it like that to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Two gems today.

1 - watching 4 weddings here, Aidan (5) came in and saw the bride and groom, "Aw, they're so pretty. They're going to have cake now. There is always cake when you get married" He is clearly my son!

2 - When we got up this morning.

Me "I'm the luckiest mommy in the world, you know why?"

Son "Why?"

Me "Because I have the best boy and girl in the world."

Son "Yep. Do you know why Saoirse(the baby) is the luckiest girl in the world?"

Me "Why?"

Son "Because she has me for a brother."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My 2 1/2 year old was in with us during the night.Early this morning i woke up to find him laughing in his sleep.Full on bellylaughs and then the next minute he was giggling like someone tiddling him.Ah it was brilliant and made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

The look on my 2.5 year olds face when I rearranged her room and introduced a reading corner. She is a little neat freak like her dad so when she saw her teddys all arranged in size order she got so excited. Crazy how someone so small can get so excited about being tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My 2 year old ended up sleeping with us last night. I was woken up this morning with a little arm around me and my little girl's face in mine saying "I love you mama" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The wee man has been learning to pee standing up. I often let his two year old sister run around nappyless in hopes that she will magically train herself.

However, I realised the other day that this scheme mightn't be such a good idea when I caught her standing at the toilet trying to copy him. She doesn't seem to be bothered that she's missing the relevant bits and it's easier to laugh than try to explain in toddlerese what's going wrong :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We're on a roll this week...

Saturday morning attempt at a lie-in and the other half was attempting to get amorous, when the wee man bounces into the bed and gives out "Daddy, you're squashing, Mammy." Despite explaining to him that it was alright, he proceeded to complain "but there's no room for me" until my other half moved over, muttering and grumbling, to make room for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The 4 year old does this slightly odd thing. If he's inwardly thinking about something he likes, he'll ask if you don't like it. For example, he'll be tucking into an apple and out of the blue, he'll say, "Don't you like apples, mama?"

Anyway, all very sweet.

Yesterday after his bath he was reclining in his bed naked, and his baby brother was sitting up next to the pillow. He asked me to take a photo of them both. I told him I would when he was dressed, and went back to puffing stuff away.

He's thinking for about a minute, and then pipes up. "Don't you like my body, mama?"

I think my mouth did that fish thing where my lips were moving but there was no sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

5yo nephew goes to my aunt's wake.
    Peers into the coffin for a while then turns to the room and asks " is she going to turn into a mummy or a zombie?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Had the 3 year old in the trolley in the supermarket car park yesterday. A nice man stopped his car to let us cross but he was left waiting a while because she refused to let me push the trolley until I'd given her teddy a kiss first. Luckily he was laughing at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My 8 month old, when I take her into the bed, just grabs my finger, buries her head in my arm and falls asleep :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sleepy snuggles are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Picked a lock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Our 1 year old did his first poo in the bath the other night. Funny part was his daddy was in the bath too :D . Daddy nearly had a hernia, little fella got giddy in all the excitement and kicked the poo and broke it up. Mammy couldn't mobilise herself at all as she had a tremendous stitch from all the laughing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

We have been planning a surprise Trip to Disneyland with the kids, and when we recently saw an advert for it we just mentioned that it might be a nice place to go, just to get a reaction from the kids. Interestingly the daughters (4) was different to what we expected. She just said:

"Papa, I love Mickey, Minnie, etc. , but I would rather go on a Safari in Africa, as the animals there are at least real."

Made me quite proud, as it is good thinking on her part. She loves animals, and we had recently seen a Safari documentary on Animal Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

yellow hen wrote: »
    Our 1 year old did his first poo in the bath the other night. Funny part was his daddy was in the bath too :D . Daddy nearly had a hernia, little fella got giddy in all the excitement and kicked the poo and broke it up. Mammy couldn't mobilise herself at all as she had a tremendous stitch from all the laughing. :p

you're only after giving me one too - a stitch I mean

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Brought the kids out to my mams this morning. Half pint, nearly 3, went missing after breakfast. I found him up on a step, looking out the window of my parents room,at a tractor go up and down the field next door. He was there for an hour. Just like me when I was his age.

And after work, we went for a spin to look for cows. Parked up the car and walked up by the hedge pointing to all of them. He'd then sing old McDonald to all of them, with a moo moo moo for each of them. Just kept it to the one field as there was lads of them. Made his day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

beertons wrote: »
    Brought the kids out to my mams this morning. Half pint, nearly 3, went missing after breakfast. I found him up on a step, looking out the window of my parents room,at a tractor go up and down the field next door. He was there for an hour. Just like me when I was his age.

And after work, we went for a spin to look for cows. Parked up the car and walked up by the hedge pointing to all of them. He'd then sing old McDonald to all of them, with a moo moo moo for each of them. Just kept it to the one field as there was lads of them. Made his day.
    When I was a lot older than your child (around 10/11) I was given the responsibility of cutting the front and back gardens. I am from a rural area and my backyard overlooked the neighbours bog. Every evening the neighbours cows would pass by our back yard and they would stop to see if we were going to feed them :)

After I had cut the grass, we would dump it over the fence and wait for the cows to come. We gave them all names and invented stories about their lives.

As an adult I know that the cows came when they smelled the grass but as kids we liked to believe that the cows had personalities and came to visit us LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is that the reason for your username Paddy?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My bubs was sleeping on her side and woke up, was rubbing her head to get back to sleep and, half asleep, she grabbed my hand, put it up to her face and held on tight and cuddled into it. Just stared in awe that she loves every part of me so much that she can be comforted by my hand beside her face <3

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

loubian wrote: »
    My bubs was sleeping on her side and woke up, was rubbing her head to get back to sleep and, half asleep, she grabbed my hand, put it up to her face and held on tight and cuddled into it. Just stared in awe that she loves every part of me so much that she can be comforted by my hand beside her face <3

I just love my Mammycuddles Superpower. Little fella was sick this week and extra snuggly. <3

Advertisement