Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Neyite wrote: »
    I just love my Mammycuddles Superpower. Little fella was sick this week and extra snuggly. <3

30% of me rolls my eyes and harrumphs that my son only seems to settle in my arms..

70%of me silently air punches every time that I have such a soothing influence on a little person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I came home tonight with my 10 y o son, we had been out with a friend, female, then went to Aldi for shopping. I take her every week as she has no car. I took the shopping out of my car and crossed the road. As I got near the house, I said "David, help me, my trousers are falling down". The little sod then proceeded to yank my trousers right down, nearly to my knees. I have not laughed that much for years.

My female friend told me she averted her eyes, don't believe her, as she was laughing so much.

No Easter Bunny for him this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I took my 7 year old daughter to visit Birr Castle Demesne yesterday, I was explaining to her that the formal Millennium Gardens were designed by the Countess of Rosse.

My daughter replies at the top of her voice - "Oh mammy, this is a lovely lady garden".

We got some funny looks lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I said my my 3 yr old 'come on put on your shoes we are going for a picnic'
    'Yeah I wove pinkicks'
    ' you do? what's a picnic darling?'
    'I dunno'
    Love his enthusiasm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    When I was a lot older than your child (around 10/11) I was given the responsibility of cutting the front and back gardens. I am from a rural area and my backyard overlooked the neighbours bog. Every evening the neighbours cows would pass by our back yard and they would stop to see if we were going to feed them :)

After I had cut the grass, we would dump it over the fence and wait for the cows to come. We gave them all names and invented stories about their lives.

As an adult I know that the cows came when they smelled the grass but as kids we liked to believe that the cows had personalities and came to visit us LOL.

I did that too. Got a yelling off by the farmer though, as the grass wouldn't have been good for them. He headed off, and I gave them more. They were mad for it.

can't wait till I see him cutting the lawn, and pretending that he is cutting the silage. Oh the innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Neyite wrote: »
    I just love my Mammycuddles Superpower. Little fella was sick this week and extra snuggly. <3

It works the other round too. A kiss and cuddle from my mini person always makes me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Little 17 month old was going for a walk with his nan today walked bye me en route out the house and just shouted, bye bye whilst holding her hand, gas man.

vitani wrote: »
    It works the other round too. A kiss and cuddle from my mini person always makes me feel better.

It soothing for the soul whenever you need it most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I love my little lady so much. I've come to wanting her to wake up so I can take her into the bed with me. I know I'll have a hard time when it comes to stopping it and moving her to her own room but for now, I'm going to steal all the cuddles I can get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

loubian wrote: »
    I love my little lady so much. I've come to wanting her to wake up so I can take her into the bed with me. I know I'll have a hard time when it comes to stopping it and moving her to her own room but for now, I'm going to steal all the cuddles I can get :)

Mine was teething recently so there were quite a few nights where she ended up sleeping in the bed with me. She's back to sleeping all night now and I really miss having her in with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

loubian wrote: »

You are so right. My firstborn is seven and nearly as big as me, it is like the blink of an eye. I am so sorry he never slept with us. My other two did and the three yr old comes in most nights. It will be over soon.
    Days and nights of parenting are long; years are too short.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Playacting with the 4yo today, and he didn't like when I laughed at something he did.

"You're a bad Mama! Mama's are supposed to be nice to their trilldren!"

I nearly collapsed laughing, which I successfully masked as crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Not my kid but there is a large car park opposite our apartment that we can see out our living room window. There has been a little boy there, I'd say aged 6/7, since late morning trying to cycle without his stabilisers. A man who I assume is his dad is with him. After a few nasty falls earlier on and some tears, In the last half hour it has just clicked with him and he is flying about. He's not my son but I just feel so proud of him! :)

If only we could keep that sense of perseverance that we had as kids to just keep trying until we get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

If it's not too late, my young fella gets a few poems read after the regular chapter of his book (anything to prolong lights out!).

Last night after I had read The Listeners (Walter De la Mare) he said "I love poems that end like that".

"Like what?" I asked.

"Mysterious" he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

No Sunday my 5 month old was sitting on the table.
    My head was right beside his
    He turned and looked at me so I kissed his cheek and blew on it, and also give him a bit of a stubble rub.
    He started to laugh, and turned his head so he was kissing my Cheek.
    What he gave me was a VERY wet cheek.
    He laughed again and looked up at me, as if saying AGAIN AGAIN DADDY.
    Well it was either that or
    Do that again daddy and slobber all over you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My 13 month old woke up at the usual 6:30 am on Saturday morn except this time, when I went to get him from cot, he greeted with me with his first ever 'Mama' as he stood waiting to be picked up. My heart just melts even writing this....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We went out for dinner over the weekend and my 4 yr old insisted on calling the male server - who looked about 18 - as Sir the entire time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

when shopping in our local supermarket we passed an elderly lady with silvery/white hair,

suddenly my 4 year old pointed at her and loudly said "mom look at her hair", i was embarrassed so i interrupted her and tried to quieten her down and told her it was rude to point, at which point she stopped pointing and said repeatedly "but mom" and finishing with "but look at the old lady's hair, it's white"

again embarrassed i quickly pushed the trolley on to the next aisle to get her to stop saying it so loudly, only for her to exclaim "when i get bigger will my hair go like that? i think it's very beautiful, i want hair like that lady!"

serves me right for not listening to her and letting her finish her sentence :o lessoned learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Gave me a big hug after his operation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We spent the Easter weekend with the inlaws, L's cousin who is 3 was there too. It was so great to see them playing together, the two of them are getting so sociable!
    They are right scuts too, they were both encouraging each other in all sorts of messing (best fake laughs, chasing the chicken races etc etc).
    I think they'll end up being great pals, L was already sad this morning that his cousin wasn't around!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My 6 year old daughter is currently cuddling her 5 week old sister in bed. She has just fallen asleep in her arms! She was a bit unsettled, until big sister stepped in.

Now.... Where's the camera?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My 6 year old daughter is currently cuddling her 5 week old sister in bed. She has just fallen asleep in her arms! She was a bit unsettled, until big sister stepped in.

Now.... Where's the camera?!

Similar to this my 5 year old asked today when her baby brother was coming out. When I said 'soon, hopefully!' (I'm a few days overdue) she said 'yeah, because it's really not fair that he's making me wait like this'!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Just reading the one about the grey hair! I get a shiver down my spine when I see any mn with a long grey beard! few weeks ago, walking down th street with 8 and 4 year old, I saw this guy coming. All of a sudden the oldest goes quiet and the youngest roars: "Hi Santy"! To which the eldest started laughhing, as I went red and said matter-of-factly, "No, That's Galdalf the Grey!!" The old man just smiled! Not his first time hearing that I bet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I got a confirmation that my 8.5 month old can understand me! We were standing at the back door saying hello to the birdies when I told her to wave and she did! Without me prompting her by moving her arm! And when I said "say bye bye to the birdies" she waved again! :D so proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

My 17 year old took a break from her LC studies earlier to watch some tv.
    Sat down beside me , asked,
    " Cuddle Mam ?"

Such precious cuddles- always welcome,hope they never stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My 5.5 month old spent yesterday alternating between growling like a dog or doing a rolling r sound. We were walking around Next and she was really loud, I was in fits of giggles, she was in her buggy beaming away at people while growling away and getting louder every time I looked away. You could hear her all over the the shop. When I got to the counter the lady serving said 'I was wondering what that noise was!!'

Okay, this is now getting creepy, Roesy - my lad does exactly the same! He does this growl/screech, and he also does that rolling r, it's also a bit like a gargle in the back of his throat. And it's very loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Okay, this is now getting creepy, Roesy - my lad does exactly the same! He does this growl/screech, and he also does that rolling r, it's also a bit like a gargle in the back of his throat. And it's very loud!

Definitely kindred spirits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Roesy wrote: »
    My 5.5 month old spent yesterday alternating between growling like a dog or doing a rolling r sound. We were walking around Next and she was really loud, I was in fits of giggles, she was in her buggy beaming away at people while growling away and getting louder every time I looked away. You could hear her all over the the shop. When I got to the counter the lady serving said 'I was wondering what that noise was!!'
    nikpmup wrote: »

Do you have a moment to talk about lycanthropy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I jokingly slapped my 5 years old son's bum and he turned around and said: mummy stop slapping my lovely bummy.

Advertisement