Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Applicants-Introduce Yourself (see Moderator note in post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

You won't have to worry too much about missing Phase one this year!! It usually takes a long bit of time for the BR form to be completed by AGS and then there's a meeting with the Super and finally a medical.. I would guest you have up to an 8 month wait ahead of you or even longer. There is usually two intakes a year March and November approx (maybe three with the surge of applications now) Hope that helps a bit!

There have been 3 intakes this year and from what Ive been told there are to be 3 more also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

just applied today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

hi i applied the end of april 10
    interview on 6th may
    got letter to say i passed on 19th may 10
    sent in the br form to my local station and the guard faxed it straight to dublin there and then . so now the long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

I applied at Public jobs.ie a couple of weeks ago but have heard nought...any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I applied at Public jobs.ie a couple of weeks ago but have heard nought...any ideas??

Welcome! I think you should pull up a seat in here and let the waiting game continue at its own pace.

They recruit on an on-going basis and rotate the locations so you could be waiting anything from a few weeks to some months before being notified of your scheduled stage1 interview and report-writing date and time.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Welcome! I think you should pull up a seat in here and let the waiting game continue at its own pace.

They recruit on an on-going basis and rotate the locations so you could be waiting anything from a few weeks to some months before being notified of your scheduled stage1 interview and report-writing date and time.

When I say I 'applied' on public jobs, I ticked that I was interested in Garda reserve when registering for public jobs....Is there ought else I should have done?? I couldnt see an actual application..

When I say I 'applied' on public jobs, I ticked that I was interested in Garda reserve when registering for public jobs....Is there ought else I should have done?? I couldnt see an actual application..

Ah okay. PublicJobs will be in contact with you next when they recruiting in one of your two chosen areas. Their is nothing else you can do but prepare for your interview in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 up the cats

Hi All,

Applied to public jobs Feb 2010
    Had interview and written June
    handed in BR form in July.

Ah okay. PublicJobs will be in contact with you next when they recruiting in one of your two chosen areas. Their is nothing else you can do but prepare for your interview in the interim.

How long does all this take?

Moderator Message:
    Welcome to all our new posters and new applicants :)

Are their any updates by people who have posted in here?

If anyone needs to or wants to have their posts amended and/or updated but find they can't, just PM me and I'll update your posts no bother.

• Advertisement

How long does all this take?

No two applicants are similar in terms of their application moving from one stage to the next. Their has never been any set time-frame or indeed any benchmark for people to compare against.

Some applicants seem to get processed faster than others. Several reasons given in the past include: number of relatives; number of relatives abroad; personal time spent abroad either living or working or both; number of people employed to carry out the checks for each reserve applicant.

I'd like to give you a definite time-frame TheCityManager but being honest with you, unfortunately their is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

No two applicants are similar in terms of their application moving from one stage to the next. Their has never been any set time-frame or indeed any benchmark for people to compare against.

Some applicants seem to get processed faster than others. Several reasons given in the past include: number of relatives; number of relatives abroad; personal time spent abroad either living or working or both; number of people employed to carry out the checks for each reserve applicant.

I'd like to give you a definite time-frame TheCityManager but being honest with you, unfortunately their is none.

Like kerry4sam said, there are no decimate answers but it shouldn't take too long, the fact they recruit on an ongoing basis means that applications are constantly being reviewed. From the time I applied to the time I started my training was a little over a year. A vague answer I know but hope it helps somehow.
    Count your lucky stars it's not at long as full time application process!

PS - Congrats to kerry4sam On your recent moderator status!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

Moderator Message:
    Welcome to all our new posters and new applicants :)

Are their any updates by people who have posted in here?

If anyone needs to or wants to have their posts amended and/or updated but find they can't, just PM me and I'll update your posts no bother.
    cong well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update - as it stands, BR form gone to HQ, had a call to arrange super interview for next week, BUT I'll be on hols!! Argh... I've to rearrange for a couple of weeks time when I'm back.

kerry4sam - well done on the Mod position!

Loopie

Hi All,

just a quick update. Had meeting in local Garda staion yesterday which went very well. Quite sraight foward browsed through application form to confirm details and a few extra questions. I was informed that process won't take much longer but I'll wait and see as some of ye have been waiting a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Thats good news... About the wait, everyones case is diffferent it all depends how long the vetting can take which is from 2 months to 2yrs.

All the best with the rest of the process,

Tommy-Kerry.:cool:

Hi All,

just a quick update. Had meeting in local Garda staion yesterday which went very well. Quite sraight foward browsed through application form to confirm details and a few extra questions. I was informed that process won't take much longer but I'll wait and see as some of ye have been waiting a while....

Thats good news... About the wait, everyones case is diffferent it all depends how long the vetting can take which is from 2 months to 2yrs.

All the best with the rest of the process,

Tommy-Kerry.:cool:

I just want to correct something here: Tommy-Kerry with the best of intentions I am sure gave a time-frame of 2months to 2years but for the purpose of clarity I want to state that their is no set time-frames.

Some checks commence almost immediately after forms are submitted (subject to resources) and can go on for years, not specifically to 2years, it can go on longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

I just want to correct something here: Tommy-Kerry with the best of intentions I am sure gave a time-frame of 2months to 2years but for the purpose of clarity I want to state that their is no set time-frames.

Some checks commence almost immediately after forms are submitted (subject to resources) and can go on for years, not specifically to 2years, it can go on longer.

Sorry to correct a correction but you a nearly there on been correct for the time frame but if you have relatives living aboard the Backround checks for those persons has to be sent to their local Police station in that country, so, if you have loads of relatives living aboard in different countries, then all those Backround check requests has to be sent out to all those different police stations in those counties and than collated on their return. This is what causes the most % in the delays in getting the form processed. Yes you do get the odd form been left on the desk in your local but as said, the relative checks on the ones that are aboard hold this up mostly. Hope that helps!

Sorry to correct a correction but you a nearly there on been correct for the time frame but if you have relatives living aboard the Backround checks for those persons has to be sent to their local Police station in that country, so, if you have loads of relatives living aboard in different countries, then all those Backround check requests has to be sent out to all those different police stations in those counties and than collated on their return. This is what causes the most % in the delays in getting the form processed. Yes you do get the odd form been left on the desk in your local but as said, the relative checks on the ones that are aboard hold this up mostly. Hope that helps!

thorough reply here, cheers :)

Cheers Tommy,

My Wife has a couple of relatives in England so yes a bit concerned that this may delay the process. Other than that all my own are safely tucked away in Kilkenny and herselfs in Meath so hoping it won't be to long. Process has been fairly quick so far for me biggest concern is the medical , eye test, I wear glasses but i did attend an optician a few weeks ago before I handed in BR just to see if I met the required standard and was told I barely scraped it. They didn't charge me for the exam and helped reassure me some. Something i'd advise others to do if they have the same concern which may give you the oppertunity to do something about it before medical.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Just checking in with an update - I have an interview with the Super in my local station tomorrow. Happy days! I'll let you know how it goes!

Loopie

Loopie wrote: »
    Hi again,

Just checking in with an update - I have an interview with the Super in my local station tomorrow. Happy days! I'll let you know how it goes!

Loopie

Hope you enjoyed your holliers :), good luck tomorrow. I'm certain all will go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlebubble25

Hi All:)

Thought I'd join in if thats alrigh...
    Put in my application about 6 weeks ago, haven't heard anything as of yet..would imagine I'll prob be waiting a while!

Quick question for all applicants or anyone who is currently a reserve, do you work full time during the day and if so how does being a reserve impact on that?

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Hi All:)

Thought I'd join in if thats alrigh...
    Put in my application about 6 weeks ago, haven't heard anything as of yet..would imagine I'll prob be waiting a while!

Quick question for all applicants or anyone who is currently a reserve, do you work full time during the day and if so how does being a reserve impact on that?

:):)

It doesn't affect you at all really. You work in the reserve when you are available. If you work 9 to 5.30 say, you might work on a Friday night or Saturday night or Saturday or Sunday during the day. If your off during the week you can work those times also.

Hi again,

Did the interview this afternoon. Went great, he was very nice, it wasn't formal or anything. I didn't suit and boot myself up, but went smartly dressed as my mother would say! :)

He didn't really ask me too much, just pretty much went through the application form, asking my reasons for wanting to join.

To re-iterate everyones sentiments here...here's hoping it won't be too much longer!

Loopie

Hi All,

I received a phone call this morning requesting that I attend an interview on Tuesday coming with the super. I thought the interview I had last week (with sargent) was the only one, maybe i'm in trouble. Just wondering if anybody knows does this mean my BR has been completed. I remember reading a post at one stage saying super interview after Br clearance completed?

Thanks again.

Hi All,

I received a phone call this morning requesting that I attend an interview on Tuesday coming with the super. I thought the interview I had last week (with sargent) was the only one, maybe i'm in trouble. Just wondering if anybody knows does this mean my BR has been completed. I remember reading a post at one stage saying super interview after Br clearance completed?

Thanks again.

Hey, if you were in trouble I would give your local guards the respect of saying they would speak with you first and not direct you straight to your local Superintendent.

This meeting is pretty standard. It is normally a meeting with either Sergeant or Inspector first and then sometime after you will attend the meeting with your local Superintendent. Their have been times though when candidates have only had one meeting and not both, but both are the norm.

It will be along the same lines as your meeting with your Sergeant.
    It in no way means that you checks have been complete though. You could ask if they know how checks are coming along but I doubt they would have that information to hand at your meeting.
    Best of Luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

For your background checks with relatives living abroad, they only check Garda records afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

PULSE would be checked, and possibly any records not transferred to PULSE(unlikely).

You should be fine if you've never been in serious trouble or convicted of anything.

• Advertisement

Mod Note:

As per title of thread, this thread is for Introductions of yourself and your updates on your applications.

Any more general queries about background checks or anything not relating to this thread won't be allowed in here and they will either be moved or deleted as appropriate.

Thanks.

Advertisement