Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

oisin_reme wrote: »
    The existing N17 south of Tuam will be reclassified once the motorway is open as the N83 so the signage is correct.

It should be covered up until the motorway is open to as not to confuse, the same way the signs For M17 Galway are covered up at the Mountpotter Roundabout.
    The issue at that roundabout is that Galway M17 is covered up, there should be a temporary sign for Galway N17 pointing to existing road, instead on N83 Ballyhaunis and Tuam North. I've seen cars go around the rounabout before continuing on because of the way it's signed.

The N17 south of Tuam should not be signed as Headford, as Headford isn't on the existing N17 (soon to be N83) a secondary road, will be signed as the next main town on the route, (Claregalway) and from Claregalway it should be signed Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

It should be covered up until the motorway is open to as not to confuse, the same way the signs For M17 Galway are covered up at the Mountpotter Roundabout.
    The issue at that roundabout is that Galway M17 is covered up, there should be a temporary sign for Galway N17 pointing to existing road, instead on N83 Ballyhaunis and Tuam North. I've seen cars go around the rounabout before continuing on because of the way it's signed.

The N17 south of Tuam should not be signed as Headford, as Headford isn't on the existing N17 (soon to be N83) a secondary road, will be signed as the next main town on the route, (Claregalway) and from Claregalway it should be signed Galway
    That sign at the kilmore roundaboutIMAG3180_zpss9tavgfk.jpg
    They might went to spell claregalway right

marno21 wrote: »
    Opening the Tuam bypass early would be a good idea, it's standalone and wouldn't require any traffic management.

Opening the M17 early when the whole motorway can open soon would be foolish given the traffic management required at Rathmorrissey.

Why stop at rathmorrissy when tuam to kiltiernan will be ready to go in three weeks,we have come form the mayo cowboy (enda Kenny) who turned the sod back in May 14,to the gay Indian (Leo varadkar)who will do the official opening next Feb 18 anything is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Take Notice that the T.I.I. (Transport, Infrastructure, Ireland) intend to close the current M18 at Junction 15 Crusheen, Co. Clare to Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway from Monday the 11th of September 2017 to Friday the 15th of September from 20.00hrs to 06.00hrs. This is to facilitate to removal of Jersey Shore barrier at Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway and to put up the necessary road signs at Junction 16 Gort, Co Galway. Divert via Gort town when coming from Galway and Divert at Junction 14 Barefield village as North and South bound lanes will be closed during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm baffled by your need to reference his sexuality and ethnicity as a derogatory description of the man

without dragging the tread way far down to where it does not need to be..... I think that the poster was making a play on words between cowboys and indians, and highlighting Leo's sexual orientation to highlight the significant social changes that have taken place during the construction phase of the project.
    And inferring that if such such significant change can happen in the leadership of the country then bringing the opening date of the road forward by a few weeks is not beyond the pale in terms of possibility.
    I don't believe that M17 meant nor implied any derogatory connotations...
    IE it was a punny comment, nothing more or less..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

red bull wrote: »
    So Baile Chlair(na Gaillibhe) should be signed to the M17 rather than the N83 ? You would confuse the locals not to mind visitors, then again it's all Sat Navs now

It should be, southbound anyway. No need for there to be a national secondary shadowing the new motorway between a small town and a village.
    oisin_reme wrote: »
    The existing N17 south of Tuam will be reclassified once the motorway is open as the N83 so the signage is correct.

The signage is correct. The fact that the existing N17 south of Tuam is a national secondary rather than a regional road with Galway County Council in charge of it is the issue.

The fastest route from Tuam to Claregalway is via the M17 soutbound exiting at J19 Annagh Hill. The new N83 serves a sum total of 0 destinations so it has to be signed Claregalway. They can't sign the new N83 with the destination "Local traffic" to be fair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Today has been quite a messy day on this thread. All off topic posts have been deleted.

M17's comment was explained in the post above by irishgrover. It was not meant as offensive, racist of homophobic. Such terminology has been used by newspapers worldwide. It was harmless. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/02/leo-varadkar-becomes-irelands-prime-minister-elect)

Please PM me if you have an issue with this. Any further posts will be deleted, you can discuss via PM rather than taking this thread off topic.

marno21

paul2013 wrote: »
    Take Notice that the T.I.I. (Transport, Infrastructure, Ireland intend to close the current M18 at Junction 15 Crusheen, Co. Clare to Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway from Monday the 11th of September 2017 to Friday the 15th of September from 20.00hrs to 06.00hrs. This is to facilitate to removal of Jersey Shore barrier at Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway and to put up the necessary road signs at Junction 16 Gort, Co Galway. Divert via Gort town when coming from Galway and Divert at Junction 14 Barefield village as North and South bound lanes will be closed during the night.

Wow. The barrier on the M18 is being removed in September. Could we see an opening in September now that the barrier is being removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vilnian

I wonder, will they be closing a south bound lane over this as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Vilnian wrote: »
    I wonder, will they be closing a south bound lane over this as well?
    It says North and South

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

why they removing a barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

irishgeo wrote:
    why they removing a barrier?

Presumably the barrier that diverts all traffic to force them to use the exit and prevents them from proceeding down the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is it only me picking up on the fact that they said "Jersey Shore" barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Paul2013 is on to something, or on something ? Had he not got the keys of an excavator earlier near the M6

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vilnian

red bull wrote: »
    It says North and South

Oops, didn't spot that, thanks.

Not too sure why bother closing down he Southbound lane though, I mean there is no need to add any extra signs or remove any barriers there, especially that the tie in works should be very easy as well, knowing that there is no traffic where current M18 joins the new one, that's a bit of an extra disruption if you ask me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Vilnian wrote: »
    Oops, didn't spot that, thanks.

Not too sure why bother closing down he Southbound lane though, I mean there is no need to add any extra signs or remove any barriers there, especially that the tie in works should be very easy as well, knowing that there is no traffic where current M18 joins the new one, that's a bit of an extra disruption if you ask me

Exactly. There's nothing to do on the Southbound lane, which has has been lined from the before the start of the Southbound off slip since the day the Gort to Crusheen section opened.

On the northbound lane it's a case of removing the metal barrier and relining the road. Could that not be done over a weekend? I really can't understand the need to close both sides for a week.

EDIT Just noticed that it's a night time only closure. That makes more sense.

Exactly. There's nothing to do on the Southbound lane, which has has been lined from the before the start of the Southbound off slip since the day the Gort to Crusheen section opened.

On the northbound lane it's a case of removing the metal barrier and relining the road. Could that not be done over a weekend? I really can't understand the need to close both sides for a week.

EDIT Just noticed that it's a night time only closure. That makes more sense.

The m18 at gort the flyover and shore barrierIMAG1648_zpsjvps3wiw.jpgconcrete barriersIMAG3737_zps0hvqgcrb.jpgjunction 16 looking southIMAG3735_zpsvnzpkqdj.jpg300 metres form junction 16IMAG3734_zpsceyntds2.jpg

marno21 wrote: »
    Wow. The barrier on the M18 is being removed in September. Could we see an opening in September now that the barrier is being removed?

also if they could bring this sign with them that would be brilliantIMAG1647_zps8stwrwpv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

m17 wrote: »
    also if they could bring this sign with them that would be brilliantIMAG1647_zps8stwrwpv.jpg

This sign has actually v recently been placed higher on them stilts/poles to accommodate permanent sign in correct place.
    Then they will remove that temp sign and presumably saw off the remainder of poles that won't be needed

The m17 at bauilpuil 04/01/162017-05-13_10-12-23_zpsrkzamkos.jpg04/08/17IMAG1928_zpsaeyfqfpf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Take Notice that the T.I.I. (Transport, Infrastructure, Ireland) intend to close the current M18 at Junction 15 Crusheen, Co. Clare to Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway from Monday the 11th of September 2017 to Friday the 15th of September from 20.00hrs to 06.00hrs. This is to facilitate to removal of Jersey Shore barrier at Junction 16 Gort, Co. Galway

I presume this is an amusing typo as it is called Jersey Barrier not Jersey bleeding Shore Barrier!

spacetweek wrote: »
    I presume this is an amusing typo as it is called Jersey Barrier not Jersey bleeding Shore Barrier!

That's what the TII (Jersey Shore Barrier) have called it on newspaper.

Does anyone know when the cycle race is on? and Question why is Sligo mentioned on signposts M17 Sligo? As I thought it was going to be Dual Carriageway from Tuam to Sligo?

As rumour has it that once the cycle race is over the road is ready to be opened the following Friday after this cycle race, could someone please clarify, thanks

Does anyone know when the cycle race is on? and Question why is Sligo mentioned on signposts M17 Sligo? As I thought it was going to be Dual Carriageway from Tuam to Sligo?

As rumour has it that once the cycle race is over the road is ready to be opened the following Friday after this cycle race, could someone please clarify, thanks

Cycle race is on 10/09/17,sligo is a terminal destination,it's going to be dual carriageway tuam to collooney by 2030, and the m17/m18 and tuam bypass will all open on the 24th of November 17

Galway to Limerick around rathmorrissy just click on the link 05/08/17https://goo.gl/photos/8LVy8t6gs5WiANWP6

Oral hearing in autumn for service area for m6 and m17/m18http://connachttribune.ie/oral-hearing-in-autumn-for-proposed-m6-service-area-001/

The rock cut on the m17 at corofin 22/10/15IMAG3500_zpscwjrdvgu.jpg

End of the m18 and the start of the m17 at rathmorrissy 06/08/17IMAG1961_zpsx0prbcjv.jpg2IMAG1962_zpstcl2yjol.jpg3IMAG1963_zpstpkle108.jpg4IMAG1964_zpssibuaioa.jpg5IMAG1966_zpsxgb6omn4.jpg6IMAG1967_zpszmdquiy9.jpg

The roundabout at rathmorrissy 06/08/17IMAG1965_zpstiawuehc.jpg

• Advertisement

The bat bridge on the m18 07/08/17IMAG2036_zpszw3u2wmw.jpg

Advertisement