Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Yes. And that time achieved by the testers is about what you'd expect thereby giving a rough average saving of a half an hour when the new Road is opened.

A 30 min time saving for such a short stretch is a great return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A 30 min time saving for such a short stretch is a great return on investment.

And probably save lives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

paul2013 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the 2 T.I.I. cars going on the new Motorway this morning in Gort at 11am? They were testing it apparently and it took 22mins to 25mins to get from the new M18 Gort to M17 Tuam. As I was just speaking with the road workers on site. What's the current time on the N18 north of Gort to the N17 Tuam via Claregalway

That's some going when the m17 is blocked near annagh hillIMAG1901_zpsxk9w0chd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Those barriers wouldn't stop a milk tanker with blue lights..;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Roadfan wrote: »
    Yes. And that time achieved by the testers is about what you'd expect thereby giving a rough average saving of a half an hour when the new Road is opened.

Yes, but remember they had no traffic to contend with ..... :)

Will fair enough but dual carriageway with a 120kph limit should allow you to make the trip around the half hour mark. ðŸðŸ

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Full drive through tomorrow 10/8/17. starting in Tuam at 2pm I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

Did anyone see the 2 T.I.I. cars going on the new Motorway this morning in Gort at 11am? They were testing it apparently and it took 22mins to 25mins to get from the new M18 Gort to M17 Tuam. As I was just speaking with the road workers on site. What's the current time on the N18 north of Gort to the N17 Tuam via Claregalway

According to AA route planner it would take 51 minutes. 
    https://www.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/N66,Gort,Co.+Galway,Ireland/Galway+Rd,Farrannamartin,Co.+Galway,Ireland/
    From experience I know you can be stuck in traffic in Claregalway for up to 30 minutes if you get it at the wrong time. That's not to mention slow going through Clarinbridge and Oranmore.

The m17 at ballybanagher 7kms form tuam 10/02/16IMAG1301_zpsdxo9ryek.jpg10/08/17IMAG1938_zpsxmsodc71.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Truckermal wrote: »
    Those barriers wouldn't stop a milk tanker with blue lights..;)

Why do you keep taking a whip at me over the milk tanker comment on the bridge outside Kilcreest in Galway?

Why do you keep taking a whip at me over milk tanker comment on the bridge outside Kilcreest in Galway?

There's no need for that he's just having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

One thing that this whole project does demonstrate for me is that there was some joined up thinking done between M18 and M6 planning.

We all recoil in horror when there is no N66 bypass of Gort to link with M18. But now that we know the road is to be downgraded, it makes sense.

Most R roads (exceptions like Lusk, Enfield, Kinnegad, Loughrea) do not bypass the town they pass.

The m17 19/12/14IMAG0005_zps6wkx4d4g.jpg10/08/17IMAG1933_zpsalmv0zdx.jpg

RATHMORRISSY 23/11/152017-08-10_07-42-51_zpse3nzzfqt.jpg10/08/17IMAG2050_zpsbv19dhd4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M17/M18 is 53km long. Anything faster than 26.5 minutes is speeding.

It could take well over an hour on the current route from Gort-Tuam, if it's slow moving queue and you get stuck in Clarinbridge, Tuam, Claregalway and the level crossings between Gort and Kilternan. Of course, it's only a few thousand cars a day at most doing Gort-Tuam. The real test will be Gort-Galway and Tuam-Galway as that was the whole point of this scheme.

As the Dunkettle Interchange is removed from AA Roadwatch's daily reports over the next few years, become familiar with "It's slow eastbound on the M6 Dublin/Galway Rd from J19 Oranmore through to the Coolagh roundabout." We never learn about putting roundabouts at motorway terminii and paying the price.

The bat bridge on the m18 29/10/162017-08-11_06-44-59_zpsp4owvwvy.jpg05/08/17IMAG2032_zps5zhniwwj.jpg

The slip road at rathmorrissy linking the m6 to the m17 10/08/17IMAG2053_zps4xqslbrk.jpg2IMAG2052_zpsukx63xhw.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    The slip road at rathmorrissy linking the m6 to the m17 10/07/17IMAG2053_zps4xqslbrk.jpg2IMAG2052_zpsukx63xhw.jpg
    M17 - I may be banned, so I just want to say many thanks for your input to this thread. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Middle Man wrote: »
    M17 - I may be banned, so I just want to say many thanks for your input to this thread. Keep up the good work!

I can't believe that there is only three months of this forum left,and would like to thank everyone for there input over the last ten years and what's great we weren't realing on the media and other so called website for there updates,thanks again yours m17

Wonder how the testing us going? What does it involve? Driving up and down an empty motorway? Sounds like nice work if you can get it!!🚘

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Looking at that lovely big Rathmorrissy interchange, it makes me wonder why TII didn't hook an MSA into the roundabout. One MSA could then have served the M6, M17, and M18, accessible from all directions of travel.

Presumably there was a good reason for them not to build one there.

The initial proposal for an MSA was to be as you mentioned, they were laughed out of it by ABP.

Roadfan wrote: »
    Wonder how the testing us going? What does it involve? Driving up and down an empty motorway? Sounds like nice work if you can get it!!��

It involves driving as fast as you like have the windows rolled down and playing AC/DCs highway to hell

m17 wrote: »
    It involves driving as fast as you like have the windows rolled down and playing AC/DCs highway to hell

ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The initial proposal for an MSA was to be as you mentioned, they were laughed out of it by ABP.

Why? To me it seems like an eminently sensible place to put one. Plenty of km travelled by the time you get there but not too many, rural location, etc.

Looking at that lovely big Rathmorrissy interchange, it makes me wonder why TII didn't hook an MSA into the roundabout. One MSA could then have served the M6, M17, and M18, accessible from all directions of travel.

There's one going on the m6 2kms form rathmorrissy galway side eastbound only they hope to have open July 19,rathmorrissy 28/06/17IMAG2356_zpssnxr2pk2.jpgtop of the flyover 10/08/17IMAG2051_zpsswvk17zd.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They wanted to, but it got omitted by an ABP IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    It could take well over an hour on the current route from Gort-Tuam, if it's slow moving queue and you get stuck in Clarinbridge, Tuam, Claregalway and the level crossings between Gort and Kilternan.
    It can and does easily take an hour from Tuam to Gort without even being stuck in all those locations.
    For me, one of the frustrating things about them being refused by ABP is that they could have also put a Park 'n Ride there too - not just for going into Galway, but for going to Dublin, Dublin Airport etc.

Advertisement