Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

nowecant wrote: »
    Did anyone see the below article in the Sunday Times yesterday? Sorry about the pay wall but the relevant paragraph is still visible

I am not sure if it is just bad journalism or if they genuinely plan on extending the M17 another 30+km north. Has anybody else heard anything about it? I think there might even be a thread on it somewhere but I cant find it

While I would support it I believe there are other schemes more deserving in the short term

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/ireland-plans-80bn-infrastructure-spend-vc92c3s65

You can read that by registering, there's no charge, but there's no detail in the article either. I really can't see the demand for an extension of the M17 motorway to Claremorris, an improvement of the N17 between Tuam and Claremorris would be plenty as there are a few bad areas left. I travel that road a lot and the volume doesn't warrant an upgrade in my opinion. There's about 30km N17 north of Charlestown to Collooney would be much more worthy of the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Sorry - off topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

No, considering the Tuam bypass is Type 2 DC, i see it very unlikely that this new road will be anything other than this.

Confirmation that the bypass and the motorway will all open as one, in November.

No early opening for the Tuam bypass

It's the right decision IMHO

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/07/26/4143519-bypass-impasse/
    THERE are no plans to open the Tuam bypass ahead of schedule and November is still the date when the route, along with the motorway, will open to traffic.
    The confirmation of this from the contractors working on the two routes this week will be a disappointment to public representatives, businesses and commuters who are eager to see the new 4km dual carriageway open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's the right decision
    While I don't agree that it's the right decision, it's a thoroughly unsurprising one.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    While I don't agree that it's the right decision, it's a thoroughly unsurprising one.
    It's probably better to have the next few months available for "snagging" as opposed to having rolling roadworks fixing any faults that appear in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

All signs are now in place on the m17 31/07/17IMAG1888_zpsek7s1tnl.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    All signs are now in place on the m17 31/07/17
    25.5k @ 120 km/hr means Tuam to Rathmorrissey in under 13 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Opening the Tuam bypass early would be a good idea, it's standalone and wouldn't require any traffic management.

Opening the M17 early when the whole motorway can open soon would be foolish given the traffic management required at Rathmorrissey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The NRA attempted to delay the opening of part of the M9 in the past - media and political pressure overturned that. People need to get on GBFM, in the papers and at the necks of every FG/FF TD in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    The NRA attempted to delay the opening of part of the M9 in the past - media and political pressure overturned that. People need to get on GBFM, in the papers and at the necks of every FG/FF TD in the area.
    Surprised Canney hasn't got involved. Surely there's more for him to win here than there is with the Western Rail Corridor Phase II.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    Surprised Canney hasn't got involved. Surely there's more for him to win here than there is with the Western Rail Corridor Phase II.

Forgot he existed there for a bit...

FG/Govt Ind/FF TDs in that case. Government and shadow Government, the rest aren't able to put pressure on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Can some one tell me how far the interchange outside kilcolgan will be to gort or ennis? Currently about 15 mins i guess from ennis to gort onnthe motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 39 oisin_reme

Approx 12.5km from Kiltiernan Junction to Gort Junction - so just over 6mins @ 120km/hr
    Depends on the exit you use to get in to Ennis but assuming the first one heading south, Barefield exit, is another 22.5km Gort - so another 12mins or so giving a total of approx 18mins from Kiltiernan to Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

It's officially due to open a week after the Oct bank hol. I'd be shocked if this doesn't get brought forward one week, to the Friday lunchtime of bank hol weekend

It's officially due to open a week after the Oct bank hol.
    Do you have a source for this?
    I'd be shocked if this doesn't get brought forward one week, to the Friday lunchtime of bank hol weekend
    That's been the case with road openings so far, and it'll be well ready, but it all depends how much the contractors want to charge the Department for opening early and how much the Department is willing or able to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dgillard

Does anyone know if sisk have started putting up gantry signs on the m18 at kilternan interchange yet

Start of the roadbridge section on the m17 01/08/17IMAG1902_zpseoytyfdr.jpgend of the roadbridge section at tuamIMAG1890_zpso3dwwrv9.jpgthe kilmore roundaboutIMAG1887_zpsfxyvnnf6.jpg

The m17 around Corofin 01/08/17 just click on the linkhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/bwKouXRdfyXZnFgn2

The m17 2kms form annagh hill 02/08/17IMAG1897_zps25oae0ew.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Should Baile Chlair not be Baile Chlair na Gaillimhe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

red bull wrote: »
    Should Baile Chlair not be Baile Chlair na Gaillimhe ?

Same thought travelling that road last week. Maybe it's the authentic Irish name as it is but it's hardly helpful to tourists or indeed Irish people not used to that road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Roadfan wrote: »
    Same thought travelling that road last week. Maybe it's the authentic Irish name as it is but it's hardly helpful to tourists or indeed Irish people not used to that road.

Should be in English as well as Irish and Baile Chlair is indeed the official Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

spacetweek wrote: »
    Should be in English as well as Irish and Baile Chlair is indeed the official Irish name.

It's a Gaeltacht and so only appears in Irish. But would be helpful if it was in English also alright (as distinct from the likes of Dún Laoghaire and Portlaoise which simply don't have English translations that are used).

Of all the Irish-only placenames its the most ridiculous as its not even vaguely obvious for outsiders *and* its clearly not in a f-gaeltacht. Only 12% report in the census, and the census encourages over-reporting due to dodgy questioning.

Most of the other vast majority English speaking Gaeltacht areas have similar names, or identical names (Barna for instance).

Baile Chlair na Gaillimhe appears on other sign posts, Baile Chlair has allready been mistaken for meaning Belclare. At the Kilmore roundabout it would suggest that the only way to Galway is by using the M17 when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

red bull wrote: »
    At the Kilmore roundabout it would suggest that the only way to Galway is by using the M17 when it opens

Not really unusual - you won't see too many signs for Cork along the R639 (old N8)...

The old N17 should be signed as Headford from the Kilmore roundabout.

Galway traffic uses the M17 and any traffic going for Claregalway would use the M17 and turn off at Annagh Hill.

Signing the existing N17 as N83 violates most of the rules around national secondaries and destinations.

Galway traffic uses the M17 and any traffic going for Claregalway would use the M17 and turn off at Annagh Hill.

Signing the existing N17 as N83 violates most of the rules around national secondaries and destinations.
    So Baile Chlair(na Gaillibhe) should be signed to the M17 rather than the N83 ? You would confuse the locals not to mind visitors, then again it's all Sat Navs now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 oisin_reme

The existing N17 south of Tuam will be reclassified once the motorway is open as the N83 so the signage is correct.

Advertisement