Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

I'm not seeing the console comparisons thread.... I'll give it a while and have a look when I'm awake...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

fivestar wrote: »
    PS3 or XBox... what are the pros and cons of each in relation to gaming, online and linking up to your homke network (to play videos, view pictures etc.)??

Under your criteria:

Gaming: The available games are mostly the same, except for a couple of exclusives to each. Also the default controllers are different (PS3 is slightly better methinks).

Online: Mostly the same. Xbox is slightly better, but costs money.

Linking to Home Network: Exactly the same. In fact the program I use for my Xbox is called "PS3 Media Server".

I think the Xbox VS PS3 question can be answered very easily under the following two criteria:

(1) What exclusives are you interested in?
    (2) What do most of your friends have? (both for online play, and borrowing games)

For me it was (1) Dead Rising 1 and (2) Xboxes. So I got an Xbox and borrowed Dead Rising off a friend of mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My gf is considering buying me a PS3 for my birthday next week (apparently coz I asked her for one when i was drunk :p). I told her afterwards it was a pretty good idea for a gift coz it has blu-ray, whereas the XBOX doesnt, and I'm looking for a good home media centre.

Is there anything else I'd need to consider here, like whats the difference between all the PS3s out there now? Just the HDD size? Does that really make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

tman wrote: »

360 is better suited to gaming

*Splutter* Splutter*

*Gasp*

*Faint from outrage*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

360 is better suited to gaming

Haha. What a blanket comment without even attempting to back it up with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Grayditch wrote: »
    Haha. What a blanket comment without even attempting to back it up with anything.

That was originally a reply to a new thread over in Console Modding, so you can hardly blame me for not bothering to flesh out my response...

For what it's worth, I own all current gen consoles and a gaming PC, the PS3 is almost up there with the Wii in the gathering dust stakes at the moment, if it wasn't for the Bluray player it would be topping it right now!
    Don't get me wrong though - if you're thinking of buying a new console, then either one will provide a fantastic gaming experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

PC > XBOX > WII > PS3

That was originally a reply to a new thread over in Console Modding, so you can hardly blame me for not bothering to flesh out my response...

Ah right, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well the ps3 is better made than the xbox but costs a lot more but i feel the xbox has a better selection of games, the wii is just rubbish.

This is just my opinion anyway, i never liked the way the wii worked, the likes of zelda games are quite good but thats about the only thing i like about it, the metroid series kind of died as well i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

"The 360 has better games" argument doesn't hold up post 2009 sadly. Only area where 360 is "superior" is Live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a whole heap of amazing games on the Wii most of which are exclusive. To dsmiss it as rubbish is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

nintendo need to put some ****ing muscle into their next console imo and have a decent non motion controller aswel, the biggest problem i have with the wii is the controls and im sure alot of other gamers feel the same. Its a good for about 10 minutes and then the novelity wears off, using a dualshock or xbox pad is far better for pretty much every type of game. oh... and HD :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Motion controls do nothing for me either but there's still a lot of excellent games on the Wii, most of which don't use motion controls or use them very little.

The Wii is great. Don't let the bad quality control of what they're releasing on it put you off. It's got some belters.

If you're missing one or two of the Holy Trinity, there's a good chance you're being biased in this thread.

Saying that, The PS3 still has my vote of course, because it's the best, ok. :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Motion controls do nothing for me either but there's still a lot of excellent games on the Wii, most of which don't use motion controls or use them very little.

Its not just the motion, its the actual controller, its horrible.

I think the controller is actually fantastic when used for traditional control schems. The button placement is great and the analogue stick is one of the best ever made and is basically just a GC stick which itself is one of the best ever made. Atuff like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment etc. just feel fantastic. I'd take it over a dual shock anyday.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the controller is actually fantastic when used for traditional control schems. The button placement is great and the analogue stick is one of the best ever made and is basically just a GC stick which itself is one of the best ever made. Atuff like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment etc. just feel fantastic. I'd take it over a dual shock anyday.

i wouldn't, find it horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

You're actually saying the gamecube stick is better that the 360s or the ps3s ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'd agree. the Wii analog stick feels more solid and responsive than the PS3 and XBOX one. I prefer the Wii controls in most games, ie Black Ops, but prefer to use the regular Wii gamepad (GC, or classic) for games like FIFA and PES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Korvanica wrote: »
    You're actually saying the gamecube stick is better that the 360s or the ps3s ?...

That's Retr0, the Games forums biggest troll :p

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »

Yes I am. It's a fantastic stick that's much better than the 360's and dual shocks. It's a patented Nintendo design meaning that the Sony and MS can't use it which means you'll only find nintendo sticks that have the octagonal housing which gives more accurate control. The little yellow gamecube analogue stick though was fairly crap. Even with that flaw the Gamecube controller is regarded as one of the best ever made. 360 has great analogues but I don't think they are as good as the GC's, it's down to that octagonal housing. The PS3 however has terrible analogues and the GC is far superior,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like the PS3 analogues, I recently change from Black Ops on the PS3 to the Xbox and found aiming really difficult, the dead zone on the ps3 sticks is much better and I find it more accurate,also I prefer using the bumpers rather than the triggers to aim and fire, but thats just me, and thats just for Blops though I prefer the 360 sticks for other games. given the choice I'd rather pick up a game on PS3 though as its my prefered platform, depending on the conversion of course.

I agree with Retr0 about the Gamecube and Wii sticks, they're brilliant. stuff like Mario Galaxy controls so well with them.

Most of which stick is better is down to personal opinion though, theres no correct choice, whatever feels best, I've owned a few games on xbox and ps3 and some i prefered the ps3 controller with, others the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Xbox has no value , whats seperates all consoles is exclusive games and what console your friends have

i dont see the value in owning a 360 unless you love halo and gears.

the whole xbox live vs psn debate is laughable . you pay for one and dont for the other and now that steam cloud coming over to psn and psn getting cloud saving service is looking even darker for xbox live and its fee.

if ya love your xbox good for you , i purchased one and sold it in 2 months worst decision i ever did.

Xbox has no value , whats seperates all consoles is exclusive games and what console your friends have

the whole xbox live vs psn debate is laughable . you pay for one and dont for the other and now that steam cloud coming over to psn and psn getting cloud saving service is looking even darker for xbox live and its fee.

if ya love your xbox good for you , i purchased one and sold it in 2 months worst decision i ever did.

Live is better than PSN in the sense you can have parties and all that, its cool being able to chat to people when they're not even in the same game as you, and being able to follow people into games is handy. XBLA is brilliant as well, every game has a demo unlike PSN, and theres stuff like Super Meat Boy and Limbo that are xbox only, well worth playing. I never had a problem with PSN though, its free, and if you only want to play games online its perfectly functional. is Live worth the money you pay per year? for the demos and stuff yeah it is, and xbox games tend to get DLC faster, at elast in Call of Duty's case.

I like Halo and Gears, Gears 3 was the one game I was comtemplating rebuying a 360 for, by chance my flatmate was selling his so I got it cheap, happy out with it.

I have no loyalty to consoles, I own whatever has the most games I want to play on it, the other stuff is just an added bonus, I think the PS3 is the best console around as I use mine as a blu-ray player, I like the pad and i use it for streaming media, and imo its got the best exclusives (previously the xbox did) but to pass the 360 off as rubbish is laughable tbh. its a great console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

krudler wrote: »
    Live is better than PSN in the sense you can have parties and all that, its cool being able to chat to people when they're not even in the same game as you, and being able to follow people into games is handy. XBLA is brilliant as well, every game has a demo unlike PSN, and theres stuff like Super Meat Boy and Limbo that are xbox only, well worth playing. I never had a problem with PSN though, its free, and if you only want to play games online its perfectly functional. is Live worth the money you pay per year? for the demos and stuff yeah it is, and xbox games tend to get DLC faster, at elast in Call of Duty's case.

I like Halo and Gears, Gears 3 was the one game I was comtemplating rebuying a 360 for, by chance my flatmate was selling his so I got it cheap, happy out with it.

I have no loyalty to consoles, I own whatever has the most games I want to play on it, the other stuff is just an added bonus, I think the PS3 is the best console around as I use mine as a blu-ray player, I like the pad and i use it for streaming media, and imo its got the best exclusives (previously the xbox did) but to pass the 360 off as rubbish is laughable tbh. its a great console.

Live is still not worth its fee just for cross game chat and party chat and getting dlc early why would that make any difference if ya own the one console , you have to ask yourself the question would you pay for live if online was free ?.
    Also if live is worth the fee it is it wouldnt have two gigabyte file size limit.
    which is why games like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath developers having a problem with microsoft over or valve having a problem with microsoft over releasing there dlc with a fee

i could buy a game like bfbc2 for 50 euros with no fee for online on the ps3 as we talked bout

but 360 you buy the game same price then if your subscription runs out you have to pay for the online so in a way microsoft being the only console that charge for online is holding half your game ransom unless you pay for online again.

we are all entitled to our opinions but i stick buy what i said that xbox is a pile of rubbish.

Live is still not worth its fee just for cross game chat and party chat and getting dlc early why would that make any difference if ya own the one console , you have to ask yourself the question would you pay for live if online was free ?.
    Also if live is worth the fee it is it wouldnt have two gigabyte file size limit.
    which is why games like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath developers having a problem with microsoft over or valve having a problem with microsoft over releasing there dlc with a fee

i could buy a game like bfbc2 for 50 euros with no fee for online on the ps3 as we talked bout

but 360 you buy the game same price then if your subscription runs out you have to pay for the online so in a way microsoft being the only console that charge for online is holding half your game ransom unless you pay for online again.

we are all entitled to our opinions but i stick buy what i said that xbox is a pile of rubbish.

If it means stuff is patched and fixed quicker, like Black Ops, then its worth it, I dont agree that games are released in a state that they need to be patched to begin with, but its the way the industry has gone, look at how many games come out and theres an update on day one before you even get to load the game, Heavy Rain being a perfect example.

you can get Live 12 month subscriptions for 39.99 these days, 40 quid a year isnt all that much really, thats less than 3 quid a month for a really good online service as opposed to an average one, the demos of stuff like Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 and the XBLA exclusives are worth it. Hey I'd happily not pay for Live but until Microsoft stops charging for it (never gonna happen) theres not much ya can do. And now games companies are talking about charging to pay per game, like Activision have been talking about doing for a while, paying to play Call of Duty online? itd suck, but a lot of people would pay it.

I do love the PS3, it got so many things right that the 360 didnt, built in wi-fi, chargeable pads out of the box, not having to pay extra for audio only connections (bloody 360 av adapter!) but I like the 360 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

krudler wrote: »

you can get Live 12 month subscriptions for 39.99 these days, 40 quid a year isnt all that much really, thats less than 3 quid a month for a really good online service as opposed to an average one, the demos of stuff like Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 and the XBLA exclusives are worth it.

I agree in principle....though it does feel that I am being charged twice for the same product when I when I buy a game with online elements and I have to pay MS to access them. I only want online capability, I don't care about all the other stuff that comes with it. With microsoft its an all or nothing....and the "all" comes at the same price as a game.

I had hoped that playstation + would have given me the option of a really good online service for a fee or an average one for free, but alas that was not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

...and the other exclusives...and the myriad of XBLA games on it...
    PSN Cloud Saves will be PSN+ only, calling it now.

As for the file size limit rubbish, well lets look at PSN then which, it seems, does not have a file size. What games have come out which really pushed past the 2GB limit? ...yep, that'd be none, certainly so when looking at those which aren't also available in boxed form.

Stranger's Wrath will make it to XBLA too I'd wager, when the filesize limits were lower there were a couple of games which were released which exceeded it, it's just a matter of reaching agreement with MS.

Cloud saving! That would help me out a lot, going between 2 PS3s all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

gizmo wrote: »
    ...and the other exclusives...and the myriad of XBLA games on it...

Currently PS3 wins in the "exclusives" category.... though XBLA beats PSN hand down in terms of downloadable titles.

Advertisement