Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Lads,

I started this reading this thread earlier until i realised there was another 20+ pages to go :eek:

Ive just been handed a voucher for the b'day(let's cal it my 3rd 30th :rolleyes: ) to go by an XBOX or a PS3.

PS3:
    My little brother in law has the PS3 so i'm ok with what this is like, but ...

XBOX:
    the 2009 comments seem to state that the XBOX 360 seemed to be fairly loud. has this been resolved in the current XBOX 360 250GB?
    how about Wireless on the current XBOX?
    can the XBOX now play DVD's / Bluerays?
    RROD still an issue?
    what are the rechargeable batteries for the controlers like?

please help me make the desision

thanks

New Xbox is fairly quiet, obviously there's some noise for when the disc spins definitely not as bad as the old Xbox though.

It has built in WiFi.

It plays DVDs not blu-rays.

I still have my rechargeable battery since when I first got my console about 3 years ago, still holds its charge and I play it alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

gizmo wrote: »
    As for making a decision, do any of your friends have one of the consoles that you'd like to play online? If so, just get that one. If not, flip a coin really. Personally I'd go with the 360 but there'll be an even split around here regarding which one to go for.
    actually would have any interest in playing online = dont want people to see how sh*t i am!;)
    rizzla wrote: »
    I still have my rechargeable battery since when I first got my console about 3 years ago, still holds its charge and I play it alot.

like the sound of this ... dissapointed that one still has to buy the rechargeable batteries vs the 'charge them of the console PS3 controlers'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

I think the new ones come with a play and charge kit. If not mine cost like a tenner, not a massive investment.

Also I actually prefer having them seperatly, your battery goes on your ps3 controller and you'll need a new controller.

rizzla wrote: »
    I think the new ones come with a play and charge kit. If not mine cost like a tenner, not a massive investment.

Also I actually prefer having them seperatly, your battery goes on your ps3 controller and you'll need a new controller.

valid point! never though of that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

XBOX:
    the 2009 comments seem to state that the XBOX 360 seemed to be fairly loud. has this been resolved in the current XBOX 360 250GB?
    RROD still an issue?

Hey there GT. I've got all 3 consoles and here's my two cents :

- Before i start - you will be happy with either. Both have fantastic games and are excellent consoles. There's no wrong choice, just a choice more suited to your tastes
    - Couple of Qs are necessary -- what consoles do most of your friends have? (So you can play online with them/swap games etc)
    - Do you even want to play online (XBL has a superior service but PSN is free) (also more people play on XBL - so if you love FPS games then it's definitely Xbox all the way)
    - XBL (Xbox Live, irrespective if u pay for online play) has a much better service, bigger selection of games etc
    - New Black Xbox is pretty silent, has built-in wireless now (like the PS3). RROD isn't an issue any more.
    - Xbox 360 has the edge on price
    - Do you want to buy films in HD? (PS3's Blu-ray player is brilliant)
    - Are you going to watch films/tv/music on it (PS3's media center is MUCH better)

- A lot of big games are multiplatform (ie available on both PS3 & 360)
    - Do you care about Gears, Halo, Fable, Mass Effect (1 lol), Left 4 Dead? (They're the big Xbox exclusives)
    - Do you care about God of War Trilogy, Uncharted 1/2, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet/2, Metal Gear Solid (They're the big PS3 Exclusives)

- You'll get used to either controller very fast. Both are very well made.
    - You'll have to pay extra to buy charge kits for the Xbox 360 controllers, the PS3's are already built in.

If you're asking me about the tech, (flame shield up!) I'd say that although PS3 has more overall horsepower, the 360 makes "better" versions of multiplatform games. Whenever games are compared side-by-side it's a no-brainer. It's "older" technology but does the absolute best it can.

A big deal for me is installing games to lessen the load times. EVERY 360 game can do this, but only a handful of PS3 games can. This is a real big factor for me in playing games (especially Sandboxes - GTA, Red Dead etc/Mass Effect lol) as it cuts down on load times significantly.

Honestly if you're a FPS junkie then you'll be very happy with an Xbox. But if you're a new/casual gamer I'd highly recommend a PS3.

Personally I use the 360 to play multiplatform & exclusive games; and I use the PS3 to play PS3 exclusives and watching TV/movies/listening to music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Honestly if you're a FPS junkie then you'll be very happy with an Xbox. But if you're a new/casual gamer I'd highly recommend a PS3.
    Slight disagreement there, I'd recommend a 360 for casual players due to the number and variety of games on XBLA plus the potential for Kinect in the future.

The rest is mostly spot on though, minus the technical foibles. ;)

lol, completely forgot about kinect/move. Can't say i'd recommend either, I begrudgingly play Wii games with motion control (like Metroid : Other M, platformers and Zelda could all be easily played without motion control :p)

Gotta try give the PS3 fans something, their console is two years newer tech after all wink.gif

Are there any big XBLA or PSN exclusives to mention?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    lol, completely forgot about kinect/move. Can't say i'd recommend either, I begrudgingly play Wii games with motion control (like Metroid : Other M, platformers and Zelda could all be easily played without motion control :p)

Gotta try give the PS3 fans something, their console is two years newer tech after all wink.gif

Are there any big XBLA or PSN exclusives to mention?
    On the XBLA side we have:

Shadow Complex, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Trials HD, Splosion Man, Rez HD, Ikaruga, ilomilo, Perfect Dark HD, Geometry Wars, South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, The Maw, Lucidity, N+, Comic Jumper and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

Upcoming games include:

Fez, Radiant Silvergun, Torchlight, Ms. Splosion Man, Bangai-O HD, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Retro City Rampage and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile.

On the PSN:

Echochrome, Joe Danger, Flower, The PixelJunk series, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD, Burn Zombie Burn, Crash Commando, Fat Princess, fl0w, Gravity Crash, Lumines Supernova and Pain.

Upcoming games include:

More Pixeljunk games and Tetris anyway, not sure about many others. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lads,

I started this reading this thread earlier until i realised there was another 20+ pages to go :eek:

Ive just been handed a voucher for the b'day(let's cal it my 3rd 30th :rolleyes: ) to go by an XBOX or a PS3.

PS3:
    My little brother in law has the PS3 so i'm ok with what this is like, but ...

XBOX:
    RROD still an issue?

please help me make the desision

thanks

Considering you're not reallly interested in online gaming, i see no point in going for the xbox over the PS3 (Besides it being cheaper). In terms of games available the PS3 has the edge in almost every catagory, it has more big name exclusives and is in general a more stable console. Blue ray = no mutliple disk games and also allows developers to develope much more complex games that simply arent possible on the 360 (Uncharted 2, God of War, MGS4 etc)

This year there are a huge number of exclusives coming out for the PS3, while the only games that you'd really be missing out on would be Gears of war and a possible halo game. *Jay left out quite a few BIG exclusives for the PS3

The PS3 is also a much better media system with bluray support and you can use the streaming TV stuff (Im not too familar with it but apparently its good, RTE player or something)

And if you ever feel like reaching out to the online gaming community, you have a great (Just because its not as good as xbox live does not make it any less great) FREE online service.

Also, the PSMove has generally been getting better reviews than the Kinect if you interested in that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

On the XBLA side we have:

Shadow Complex, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Trials HD, Splosion Man, Rez HD, Ikaruga, ilomilo, Perfect Dark HD, Geometry Wars, South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, The Maw, Lucidity, N+, Comic Jumper and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

Upcoming games include:

Fez, Radiant Silvergun, Torchlight, Ms. Splosion Man, Bangai-O HD, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Retro City Rampage and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile.

On the PSN:

Echochrome, Joe Danger, Flower, The PixelJunk series, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD, Burn Zombie Burn, Crash Commando, Fat Princess, fl0w, Gravity Crash, Lumines Supernova and Pain.

Upcoming games include:

More Pixeljunk games and Tetris anyway, not sure about many others. :o

I have the Wii and PS3 and i have to ask how many of those games have been on the PC for ages and also as indie?

• Advertisement

I'd wager most of them if not almost all of them [Shadow Complex is definitely XBLA only]. However I don't see why the PC has to keep forcing it's way into a thread about 360, PS3 and Wii :confused:

mmmmh, still none the wiser .... loads say xbox, then loads say no reason to select the xbox over the PS3.

My major weekness is driving games: WRC, F1, GTA, Need For Speed, ...
    I only know the PS ones as I have the PS2 currently and the brother in law has a PS3, what is the XBOX like of driving games?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

It comes down to personal preference in the end. I have both now and enjoy both for the different reasons that are mentioned already above. I think whichever console you go for you will be happy with it. The only real way to decide which you will prefer is to buy both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

now the PS ones as I have the PS2 currently and the brother in law has a PS3, what is the XBOX like of driving games?

Forza 3 is an Xbox Exclusive. It's probably one of the best on the console but in my opinion, isn't half as good as GT5 on PS3. There's plenty of great games released for both consoles like Racedriver Grid, Burnout Paradise and the Need For Speed series. I prefer the PS3 joypad for racing games, but the 360 one for First Person Shooters.

Giving the fact that the user is trying to make an informed decision I feel the need to call out some of this stuff...:o
    Magill wrote: »
    Considering you're not reallly interested in online gaming, i see no point in going for the xbox over the PS3 (Besides it being cheaper). In terms of games available the PS3 has the edge in almost every catagory, it has more big name exclusives and is in general a more stable console.
    Mostly untrue, the 360 has the lead in multiplatform games which means outside of the exclusives, the vast majority of games will be better on the 360. In terms of exclusives it does have more big names however given that most people's library will include a large number of non-exclusives, this needs to be balanced out. Finally no, it is not "in general" a more stable console, that's complete rubbish and is only mildly true if you own a first generation 360 which does not apply to the OP.
    Blue ray = no mutliple disk games and also allows developers to develope much more complex games that simply arent possible on the 360 (Uncharted 2, God of War, MGS4 etc)
    Larger capacity bluray drives mean two things to the end user, no more disc swapping and the chance that the developer will put higher quality cut scenes on the disc. It has no bearing on the quality of games outside of this during this generation. For the record, none of the above games "aren't possible" on the 360 bar MGS4 as it stands due the uncompressed audio and pre-rendered video found on the disc. In terms of the actual game, they'd be practically the same. If anything, Killzone 3's deferred rendering engine benefits the PS3 architecture more but that's not something you'll see in many games for a variety of reasons.
    This year there are a huge number of exclusives coming out for the PS3, while the only games that you'd really be missing out on would be Gears of war and a possible halo game. *Jay left out quite a few BIG exclusives for the PS3
    I pulled another user up on the exclusives list for the 360 earlier in the thread so I won't do it again. Suffice to say it is of course true the PS3 is getting more of them this year however the 360 list is by no means as short as just Gears and maybe a Halo game.
    The PS3 is also a much better media system with bluray support and you can use the streaming TV stuff (Im not too familar with it but apparently its good, RTE player or something)
    Completely true, the Bluray player is a great addition, assuming you play on using it. As a streaming device, well without a PC serving content to it, the PS3 wins however with a PC serving it the 360 isn't too far behind. Again it will depend on what you want to watch on it. In the context of built in services, the PS3 will allow you to watch RTEPlayer and (I think) 4oD.
    And if you ever feel like reaching out to the online gaming community, you have a great (Just because its not as good as xbox live does not make it any less great) FREE online service.
    The free PSN will indeed allow you to dip into online gaming but as said before, if you want to get into it then you'll find XBL will serve you better once you start to build up a friends list.
    Also, the PSMove has generally been getting better reviews than the Kinect if you interested in that sort of thing.
    No it hasn't, in terms of the big games for both platform they're actually neck and neck. The difference in the future is most Kinect games will be tailor made for the peripheral whereas most Move games will be normal games which will be "Move-enabled". TGS also showed off some great looking core Kinect games for the 360 whereas at the moment Move games seem to be more limited to support for normal games like Killzone 3 and SOCOM which are games which you'd be better off playing with the controller anyway.
    Skerries wrote: »
    I have the Wii and PS3 and i have to ask how many of those games have been on the PC for ages and also as indie?
    Of that list you'd have Super Meat Boy, Trials 2, Geometry Wars, The Maw, Torchlight, Lucidity and and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom from the 360 out on PC at the moment. Lumines is out now and Joe Danger will be hitting the PC soon too according to the devs.

As the OP said though, he's interested in what games are out on the consoles, not the PC.
    My major weekness is driving games: WRC, F1, GTA, Need For Speed, ...
    I only know the PS ones as I have the PS2 currently and the brother in law has a PS3, what is the XBOX like of driving games?
    In terms of 360 racing exclusives you'd have the Forza and PGR series, both of which should be getting new iterations soon. Outside of those you have the rest of the multi-platform releases such as DIRT 2, GRID, Need For Speed: Hot Persuit, Blur, Split/Second and F1 2010.

I can't really comment on the GT5 vs. Forza issue as I'm more of an arcade racing fan myself but going by the reviews it's pretty damn close. Added to that is the fact that we'll probably see Forza 4 in the next year or so which will bring the two series even closer.

An important point to note though, the PS3 will have wider range of racing wheels available for it so that's certainly something to consider if you're into that. As for which pad is better, well if the game uses the triggers for acceleration and breaking then it'd be the 360 which would be widely considered better due to the god-****ing-awful triggers on the PS3 pad. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finally no, it is not "in general" a more stable console, that's complete rubbish and is only mildly true if you own a first generation 360 which does not apply to the OP.

Whatever about the 360s getting more reliable as time went on , I don't know how you can possibly disagree with the statement that the PS3 is more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hate to say it Gizmo, but you sure get very defensive about the 360 :P

noodler wrote: »
    Whatever about the 360s getting more reliable as time went on , I don't know how you can possibly disagree with the statement that the PS3 is more stable.
    Stable is a ridiculous word to use though, if you mean reliable then you have a point regarding the older models of course. When comparing the Slim versions of both consoles though reliability doesn't really come into it anymore.
    Hate to say it Gizmo, but you sure get very defensive about the 360 :P
    Heh. :) I'd like to think I add balance to a discussion like this and disagree with anything radical or untrue either side has to say. The OP is trying to make an informed decision and will be shelling out a couple of hundred quid on one of the consoles so comments like "X wins hands down" and "Y has better graphics" help no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Stable is a ridiculous word to use though, if you mean reliable then you have a point regarding the older models of course. When comparing the Slim versions of both consoles though reliability doesn't really come into it anymore.

Ridiculous is an incredibly strong word to use.

I appreciate you adding balance to your man's fairly biased post but I still think its a step too far to say 360's are as reliable as PS3s.

Ridiculous is an incredibly strong word to use.
    Hah, also true. Stability to me means the propensity for it to crash which is why I'd stay away from that term so as not to confuse someone.
    I appreciate you adding balance to your man's fairly biased post but I still think its a step too far to say 360's are as reliable as PS3s.
    I wouldn't say that unless you qualified it by saying you were buying a new console in which case I think reliability doesn't factor into it with either console. Now, if the OP said he was getting a second hand console I'd have no problem shouting at him to get a PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No it hasn't, in terms of the big games for both platform they're actually neck and neck. The difference in the future is most Kinect games will be tailor made for the peripheral whereas most Move games will be normal games which will be "Move-enabled".

I dunno about that. We can only guess something like that. I'd say Microsoft and Sony are equally hounding developers to include Kinect/Move features for 'regular' games. The new Forza will have the function control he car without a joypad, I think. Disaster. There's been some decent looking games announced, designed for both and they'll both have good games with tacked on perhirperal nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have both. The PS3 with blu ray allows for higher quality textures to be streamed direct from the disc, compared with the heavy compression required for the xbox. This is fairly evident in comparissons of major titles. Look at the texturing in Alan wake on the xbox (low quality) compared with Uncharted
    2 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Even though PS3 is my favourite console, even i say that textures are better on the 360. PS3 just does shading a helluva better than the 360.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I dunno about that. We can only guess something like that. I'd say Microsoft and Sony are equally hounding developers to include Kinect/Move features for 'regular' games. The new Forza will have the function control he car without a joypad, I think. Disaster. There's been some decent looking games announced, designed for both and they'll both have good games with tacked on perhirperal nonsense!
    Well I'm specifically going by the release calenders for both platforms, outside of that the only footage I've seen was at E3 and since then. My general opinion on the motion control stuff is that although I find it interesting, I don't want it to interfere with my traditional devices such as joypads etc.. therefore I have little interest in seeing it tacked on to games which are not specifically designed for it. In the case of Forza, the demo they showed at E3 was fun in a completely throw away fashion but the idea of actually controlling the car with it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
    Elessar wrote: »
    I have both. The PS3 with blu ray allows for higher quality textures to be streamed direct from the disc, compared with the heavy compression required for the xbox. This is fairly evident in comparissons of major titles. Look at the texturing in Alan wake on the xbox (low quality) compared with Uncharted
    2 for example.
    This is patently incorrect and has been dealt with in numerous threads before. Uncharted 2 certainly looks better but it has nothing to do with the bluray drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I have both. The PS3 with blu ray allows for higher quality textures to be streamed direct from the disc, compared with the heavy compression required for the xbox. This is fairly evident in comparissons of major titles. Look at the texturing in Alan wake on the xbox (low quality) compared with Uncharted2 for example.
    This is patently incorrect and has been dealt with in numerous threads before. Uncharted 2 certainly looks better but it has nothing to do with the bluray drive.

Technically that's right (not the game comparison) but even with the larger amount of space for content the PS3 would not be able to use it to give what your suggesting. If you had a PS3 with a DVD drive only and one with a Blu ray then that would allow for better looking games. If you take it in regard to pre rendered video then this is fully true but still not in the way you are suggesting.

There's some analogy about cars, tank size and engine performance in there but i'm not bothered.

The Uncharted games are the best looking games on any console because Naughty Dog are ****ing genius.

This is getting confusing for me, all I want to know is ...

• Will either console crash(more often than the other),
    • Is there any difference between them in driving games,
    • is it easy to get used to the xbox controllers if used to the PS ones,
    • no interest in blurays, so will ordinary DVD's play on both consoles,
    • can both consoles play videos/music from an extrenal source(HD/USB),
    • can you use them to go onto the internet(ie google, hotmail, ...) - if so does this require a config change on the router?
    • which was better graphics/speed,
    • does either console have any extra features over the other(excluding bluray, aware of this by now;))
    • can you load the games onto the console in both cases to speed up loading the games?
    I think thats all i need to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

2 for example.
    • can you use them to go onto the internet(ie google, hotmail, ...) - if so does this require a config change on the router?
    • does either console have any extra features over the other(excluding bluray, aware of this by now;))
    • can you load the games onto the console in both cases to speed up loading the games?
    -I rarely use my PS3 but it has crashed twice, my Xbox has never crashed and it's two years old. Seems to vary though.
    -I like Forza, PS3 has GT5 though. For non-exclusives Xbox generally looks better.
    -Yep, Xbox controllers are much more comfortable IMO.
    -Yes.
    -PS3 has a browser though it's quite poor, Xbox hasn't but does have Facebook and twitter and MSN built it.
    -For games on both consoles the Xbox looks better ~90% of the time.
    -The rest should've been covered by now.
    -Yes with the Xbox, yes-ish with the PS3. You can install any game on the Xbox if you want, some PS3 games insist on full installs, some insist on partial installations. Loading times seem to be about the same on average on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

No
      ps3 supports most wheels and has gt5, 360 has better triggers on the pad for driving games.
      yes
      yes
      yes
      ps3 only
      depends on game/opinion
      free online/xbl etc. etc. (google)
      yes

;)

amacachi wrote: »

-I rarely use my PS3 but it has crashed twice, my Xbox has never crashed and it's two years old. Seems to vary though.
    -I like Forza, PS3 has GT5 though. For non-exclusives Xbox generally looks better.
    -Yep, Xbox controllers are much more comfortable IMO.
    -Yes.
    -PS3 has a browser though it's quite poor, Xbox hasn't but does have Facebook and twitter and MSN built it.
    -For games on both consoles the Xbox looks better ~90% of the time.
    -The rest should've been covered by now.
    -Yes with the Xbox, yes-ish with the PS3. You can install any game on the Xbox if you want, some PS3 games insist on full installs, some insist on partial installations. Loading times seem to be about the same on average on both consoles.

thanks, you have one 'yes', not sure which Q it covers:

• can both consoles play videos/music from an extrenal source(HD/USB)

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Technically that's right (not the game comparison) but even with the larger amount of space for content the PS3 would not be able to use it to give what your suggesting. If you had a PS3 with a DVD drive only and one with a Blu ray then that would allow for better looking games. If you take it in regard to pre rendered video then this is fully true but still not in the way you are suggesting.
    Well I assume we're talking about practical implementation so yes, the bluray drive could be home to a greater number of higher res textures but because they're not usable it doesn't really matter.
    Varik wrote: »
    The Uncharted games are the best looking games on any console because Naughty Dog are ****ing genius.
    Don't forget to give props to Sony's ICE team who are also based in the Santa Monica offices. Those guys are responsible for creating some of the core technologies for both Sony's worldwide studios and third party developers.
      No.
      PS3 has the Gran Turismo series.
      360 has the Forza and PGR series.
      Outside of them, the rest of the racing games out are multi-platform.

Yes.
      Yes.
      Yes.
      Only the PS3 has a built-in browser.
      Each console has their pros and cons on the tech side. My advice would be to not worry about this and concentrate on the games available for both.
      Not really. The only other features I can think of are the ability to upgrade the hard drive in the PS3 with any 2.5" drive you like and the fact that the PS3 controllers can be charged via the USB cable rather than needing to buy the Play & Charge kit for the 360.
      Every game can be installed to the 360 for improved loading times.
      Only some games on the PS3 have this option.

If you want any points expanded on but they're the concise answers for now. :)

Advertisement