Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    thanks, you have one 'yes', not sure which Q it covers:

• no interest in blurays, so will ordinary DVD's play on both consoles,
    • can both consoles play videos/music from an extrenal source(HD/USB)

you can say yes to both of those

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

mmmmmh, I think my mind is made up ......

XBOX 360 250GB here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I own a Wii and an Xbox 360 but have no experience with PS3 so I'll leave that one out...

Wii:
    Pros: Cheap, slim, very quiet, great for young and old, great range of games, built in wireless, wireless controllers.
    Cons: Doesn't play DVDs.

Xbox 360:
    Pros: Excellent graphics, good selection of 'mature' games
    Cons: Expensive, noisy, ugly looking. Connect is un-original and not responsive enough, doesn't have built in wireless.

Based on the above I would pick a Wii over an XBox any day, if it wasn't for some great games on the XBox I'd consider selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

kingtut wrote: »
    I would pick a Wii over an XBox any day

i think you know yourself thats just not true. :pac:

29x6ole.jpg

kingtut wrote: »
    Xbox 360:
    Pros: Excellent graphics, good selection of 'mature' games
    Cons: Expensive, noisy, ugly looking. Connect is un-original and not responsive enough, doesn't have built in wireless.

They actually are the cheaper option when the choise is between the PS3 and the Xbox

supposedly the newer xbox's dont have the noise issue anymore

I actually like the look of it

no interest in hte konnect so not a deal breaker

console will be right beside the router, LAN cable i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

In all fairness, the new 360 is quite easy on the eye.

i think you know yourself thats just not true. :pac:

Trust me it is 100% true, the XBox has very little going for it. That pic just shows that the Wii is for all ages ;) even your mum like you demonstrated :P (joke!)
    They actually are the cheaper option when the choise is between the PS3 and the Xbox

Like I said in my post I didn't have a PS3 so was not commenting on it, as a result my price comparison was between the Wii and the Xbox only.

In all fairness, the new 360 is quite easy on the eye.

Compared to the old 360 yes but only slightly. Still one big ass machine! At least it's a lot quieter though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

gizmo wrote: »

Mostly untrue, the 360 has the lead in multiplatform games which means outside of the exclusives, the vast majority of games will be better on the 360. In terms of exclusives it does have more big names however given that most people's library will include a large number of non-exclusives, this needs to be balanced out. Finally no, it is not "in general" a more stable console, that's complete rubbish and is only mildly true if you own a first generation 360 which does not apply to the OP.

Not mostly untrue in the slightest. Multiplatforms are almost identical with both consoles, you really cant tell the difference unless your using FPS graphs in which case its 90% of the time as little as a few frames.

Larger capacity bluray drives mean two things to the end user, no more disc swapping and the chance that the developer will put higher quality cut scenes on the disc. It has no bearing on the quality of games outside of this during this generation. For the record, none of the above games "aren't possible" on the 360 bar MGS4 as it stands due the uncompressed audio and pre-rendered video found on the disc. In terms of the actual game, they'd be practically the same. If anything, Killzone 3's deferred rendering engine benefits the PS3 architecture more but that's not something you'll see in many games for a variety of reasons.

Uncharted 2 would only be possible on the 360 if it was "Dumbed" down, because of how it works with the cell processor. unless you'd be ok with half the frame rates achieved by the PS3.

I pulled another user up on the exclusives list for the 360 earlier in the thread so I won't do it again. Suffice to say it is of course true the PS3 is getting more of them this year however the 360 list is by no means as short as just Gears and maybe a Halo game.

That was me, you never pointed out these other big exclusives coming out on the 360. You said Froza, halo and more annoucements on a game we know absolutely nothing about. Considering we have no idea if there will be another halo game this year the list of top exclusives for the 360 could be as little as Gears of war and froza !! That is a HUGE downside to buying a 360 now, dont even pretend its not. IGN's top 10 Xbox most wanted games for 2011 contains 1 exclusive compared to the 5 or 6 for the PS3 (It never even included the last guardian). If mass effect was still an exclusive series maybe it wouldn't have looked so bad, Mass Effect 2 was by far the best exclusive to come out on the 360 since ME1.

The free PSN will indeed allow you to dip into online gaming but as said before, if you want to get into it then you'll find XBL will serve you better once you start to build up a friends list.
    serve you better ? How exactly, i load up a game, i invite my friends, i play some games. How exactly can you do that "better".

No it hasn't, in terms of the big games for both platform they're actually neck and neck. The difference in the future is most Kinect games will be tailor made for the peripheral whereas most Move games will be normal games which will be "Move-enabled". TGS also showed off some great looking core Kinect games for the 360 whereas at the moment Move games seem to be more limited to support for normal games like Killzone 3 and SOCOM which are games which you'd be better off playing with the controller anyway.
    I dont know, i just read soem reviews on IGN/Gamespot etc and they all seemed to favor the performance of the move over the kinect. I've no interest in either.

As for which pad is better, well if the game uses the triggers for acceleration and breaking then it'd be the 360 which would be widely considered better due to the god-****ing-awful triggers on the PS3 pad. :o

Entirely personal preference, im not a fan of the 360 controller, seems to cramp up my hands (I have big hands), probably because im used to holding the ps3 controller. Theres alot of people that prefer the PS3 controller, alot of people say the xbox is better for FPS games, but really its not. The Dualshock has a much smaller deadzone and the analogs are more loose, ask wings of redemption ;) . You can also buy big ass triggers for £2.50 which are apparently very good... yet to try them myself tho. The "Which controller is better " agrument always comes down to which console you play. Xbox players will say they prefer the xbox controller and vise versa (Mostly anyway)

IMO the only reasons to choose a 360 over a PS3 would be if your a Halo/Gears nut, you're friends all play on xbox live or you cant aford the extra few quid for a PS3. PS3 can do everything the xbox can plus more and has better exclusives and will continue to have better exclusives. Pretty obvious choice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Magill wrote: »
    Not mostly untrue in the slightest. Multiplatforms are almost identical with both consoles, you really cant tell the difference unless your using FPS graphs in which case its 90% of the time as little as a few frames.
    No, they're not almost identical at all. There have been a myriad of face offs run by Digital Foundry and the results have, in the vast majority of cases, shown the 360 versions to be better. Some times it's due to better AA, sometimes it's frame rate differences or some times it's texture quality but regardless of how noticeable they are, the differences are there. In light of this, when faced with the choice of which SKU to go for, why would you go for the inferior one when when you have such choice?

Thankfully things are changing as developers improve their cross-platform engines and art pipelines and users of both consoles can enjoy identical releases however a problem still remains amongst the vast back catalogue of existing titles.
    Uncharted 2 would only be possible on the 360 if it was "Dumbed" down, because of how it works with the cell processor. unless you'd be ok with half the frame rates achieved by the PS3.
    No it wouldn't and given your lack of technical reasoning I can only assume you don't know what you're talking about.
    That was me, you never pointed out these other big exclusives coming out on the 360. You said Froza, halo and more annoucements on a game we know absolutely nothing about. Considering we have no idea if there will be another halo game this year the list of top exclusives for the 360 could be as little as Gears of war and froza !! That is a HUGE downside to buying a 360 now, dont even pretend its not. IGN's top 10 Xbox most wanted games for 2011 contains 1 exclusive compared to the 5 or 6 for the PS3 (It never even included the last guardian). If mass effect was still an exclusive series maybe it wouldn't have looked so bad, Mass Effect 2 was by far the best exclusive to come out on the 360 since ME1.
    The games I pointed out have as solid a release date as a number of those pointed out in the PS3 list. I'll happily admit the PS3 has more exclusives coming out this year, many of which I personally can't bloody wait for, but to rule out the potential 360 releases is silly. As is the notion of ruling out one console over another over one years worth of releases.
    serve you better ? How exactly, i load up a game, i invite my friends, i play some games. How exactly can you do that "better".
    This has been discussed ad nauseam on these forums and even on this thread so I'm not going to get into it again.

While the "Which controller is better" debate is indeed personal preference, when dealing with the specific it's less of a grey area. The 360 triggers are better than the PS3 ones, just like the d-pad on the PS3 is better than the 360 one.
    IMO the only reasons to choose a 360 over a PS3 would be if your a Halo/Gears nut, you're friends all play on xbox live or you cant aford the extra few quid for a PS3. PS3 can do everything the xbox can plus more and has better exclusives and will continue to have better exclusives. Pretty obvious choice imo.
    There's obviously no point in debating this with you at this stage since you give off the impression of a dyed in the wool PS3 fan but the sheer number of people on this forum who are happy to recommend either or should show you it's far from such a clear cut decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

thanks, you have one 'yes', not sure which Q it covers:

• no interest in blurays, so will ordinary DVD's play on both consoles,
    • can both consoles play videos/music from an extrenal source(HD/USB)

Both. In terms of using a USB or HD both require them to be formatted to FAT32 rather than NTFS which some will be formatted as when you buy them. Both only really support AVI and don't support MKV. Every list I've read suggests the PS3 should play more things but I've found the opposite and rarely have problems with files on the Xbox.

No, they're not almost identical at all. There have been a myriad of face offs run by Digital Foundry and the results have, in the vast majority of cases, shown the 360 versions to be better. Some times it's due to better AA, sometimes it's frame rate differences or some times it's texture quality but regardless of how noticeable they are, the differences are there. In light of this, when faced with the choice of which SKU to go for, why would you go for the inferior one when when you have such choice?

Thankfully things are changing as developers improve their cross-platform engines and art pipelines and users of both consoles can enjoy identical releases however a problem still remains amongst the vast back catalogue of existing titles.

Nit picking at best, i've looked at a few of these so called comparisons, with a few screenshots supposely showing better graphics on one or the other... yes the PS3 won quite a few that i looked at. Everyone knows that websites publish them because PS3 vs Xbox fanboy warrs always generate alot of hits (Look at this thread for example)

The games I pointed out have as solid a release date as a number of those pointed out in the PS3 list. I'll happily admit the PS3 has more exclusives coming out this year, many of which I personally can't bloody wait for, but to rule out the potential 360 releases is silly. As is the notion of ruling out one console over another over one years worth of releases.

But they're not... theres been absolutely no word of a halo game yet and theres as much known about 'Agent' for the PS3 as there is for cryteks 360 exclusive.. i wouldnt call that solid just like i wouldnt consider Agent a solid 2011 release. You only named 2 Solid releases for 2011. Im not ruling them out, but the PS3 would only get bigger if we're taking "Maybes" into account.
    While the "Which controller is better" debate is indeed personal preference, when dealing with the specific it's less of a grey area. The 360 triggers are better than the PS3 ones, just like the d-pad on the PS3 is better than the 360 one.

Aww well, sure you can get PS3 controllers for the xbox and xbox controllers for the PS3 if it was a problem.
    There's obviously no point in debating this with you at this stage since you give off the impression of a dyed in the wool PS3 fan but the sheer number of people on this forum who are happy to recommend either or should show you it's far from such a clear cut decision.

Im just trying to put forth reason why I'd go for the PS3 over the xbox. Personally if i had neither and choosing from scratch again i'd diffo go for which one the majority of my friends had, if i wasnt interested in online gaming i'd look at the games being released and choose which one had the better games and games coming out for it in the future.

Nit picking at best, i've looked at a few of these so called comparisons, with a few screenshots supposely showing better graphics on one or the other... yes the PS3 won quite a few that i looked at. Everyone knows that websites publish them because PS3 vs Xbox fanboy warrs always generate alot of hits (Look at this thread for example)
    The blog is aimed at those with either an understanding or an interest in those kinds of technical breakdowns. It does unfortunately attract the "my console is better than your console crowd" as the Comments section continues to show, but the articles themselves are usually quite informative. As for the results, well as I said, just because you can't see the differences doesn't mean they're not there.

As for this thread, I'd like to think it acts as more of a guide for potential customers who are laying down a couple of hundred quid on a console rather than some silly baiting pit.
    But they're not... theres been absolutely no word of a halo game yet and theres as much known about 'Agent' for the PS3 as there is for cryteks 360 exclusive.. i wouldnt call that solid just like i wouldnt consider Agent a solid 2011 release. You only named 2 Solid releases for 2011. Im not ruling them out, but the PS3 would only get bigger if we're taking "Maybes" into account.
    I'm quite happy to take maybes into account, they're the most fun ones to watch, my gripe was that going by the two lists posted only one platform was having its maybes considered.
    Aww well, sure you can get PS3 controllers for the xbox and xbox controllers for the PS3 if it was a problem.
    I was hoping those PowerA controllers would be better but it seems not. In the meantime I've gotten the Giotek covers for my triggers which improve things immensely. I just wish they weren't so damn fragile. :(
    Im just trying to put forth reason why I'd go for the PS3 over the xbox. Personally if i had neither and choosing from scratch again i'd diffo go for which one the majority of my friends had, if i wasnt interested in online gaming i'd look at the games being released and choose which one had the better games and games coming out for it in the future.
    An explanation which makes perfect sense, your wording above was far less reasonable however. :o

amacachi wrote: »
    Both. In terms of using a USB or HD both require them to be formatted to FAT32 rather than NTFS which some will be formatted as when you buy them. Both only really support AVI and don't support MKV. Every list I've read suggests the PS3 should play more things but I've found the opposite and rarely have problems with files on the Xbox.

how do I know what way my HD is formatted?

thanks

The blog is aimed at those with either an understanding or an interest in those kinds of technical breakdowns. It does unfortunately attract the "my console is better than your console crowd" as the Comments section continues to show, but the articles themselves are usually quite informative. As for the results, well as I said, just because you can't see the differences doesn't mean they're not there.

As for this thread, I'd like to think it acts as more of a guide for potential customers who are laying down a couple of hundred quid on a console rather than some silly baiting pit.

I'm quite happy to take maybes into account, they're the most fun ones to watch, my gripe was that going by the two lists posted only one platform was having its maybes considered.

I was hoping those PowerA controllers would be better but it seems not. In the meantime I've gotten the Giotek covers for my triggers which improve things immensely. I just wish they weren't so damn fragile. :(

An explanation which makes perfect sense, your wording above was far less reasonable however. :o

Ahh yeah, but sure those lists are pretty much garenteed released(Developers have said they'd be 2011 releases, just no date as of yet) maybes for the PS3 would be the likes of Agent and Final Fantasy versus. Im sure both consoles will have a few suprises come E3 etc

I never understood the point of those triggers, dont they just cover the R/L 2 triggers ? Sure they're barely used, might get a set too see what the fuss is about.

how do I know what way my HD is formatted?

thanks
    If it's an external hard drive, plug it into your PC, go to My Computer, right click on it, go to Properties and in the middle of the window you should see "File System". That should read "FAT32". If it reads "NTFS" then you'll need to reformat the drive which will erase it fully and make it compatible for use on the 360.

In order to reformat it, right click on the drive again and go to Format. In the "File System" drop down box select FAT 32 and hit go.
    I never understood the point of those triggers, dont they just cover the R/L 2 triggers ? Sure they're barely used, might get a set too see what the fuss is about.
    Yep, they cover and enlarge the triggers to make them more...trigger like?

As for them being used, well that's my own personal gripe with them. Why the hell aren't they used rather than R1/L1 for firing in games. I mean you have triggers, ****ing use them. :D

If it's an external hard drive, plug it into your PC, go to My Computer, right click on it, go to Properties and in the middle of the window you should see "File System". That should read "FAT32". If it reads "NTFS" then you'll need to reformat the drive which will erase it fully and make it compatible for use on the 360.

thats another hurdle crossed .... FAT32:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

where the cheapest place to get 12 month xbox membership guys

thanks

davidgti wrote: »
    where the cheapest place to get 12 month xbox membership guys

thanks
    Probably here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

its going to be 60 euro no matter where

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »
    its going to be 60 euro no matter where
    You good sir, are being ripped off. See the link above. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I got mine for about €35. Somewhere linked from Amazon, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

PS3 or XBox... what are the pros and cons of each in relation to gaming, online and linking up to your homke network (to play videos, view pictures etc.)??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

fivestar wrote: »
    PS3 or XBox... what are the pros and cons of each in relation to gaming, online and linking up to your homke network (to play videos, view pictures etc.)??

Is this question related soehow to console modding? If not I think there are better forums on boards to discuss it.

If yes, I mean it is related to console modding and homebrew, then:

PS3:
    pros:
    *easy to mod for homebrew, either USB plug&play device or customised firmware update.

cons:
    *easy to brick, almost impossible to unbrick it without original NAND dump, which is not needed to mod, hence almost no one has it.

XBOX360
    pros:
    * more applications (it was hacked long time ago, PS3 will catch u with it)
    * easy to recover from brick, in most situation very little info needed to do that

cons:
    *hard to mod, need some soldering skills, or cash to pay someone to do that for you,

I hope it helps, if you were looking for something different, then sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not really suitable for this forum. You'd probably be better asking that in the Games forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not really suitable for this forum. You'd probably be better asking that in the Games forum.

You posted while I was editing, clicked post instead preview. I tried to answer in more suitable to this forum way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Really looks like it'd be better suited to the huge-ass thread over in the Games forum...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671045&page=24

To answer your question - PS3 is much much better as a media player (even more so when us unscrupulous types get MKV support!;))

360 is better suited to gaming

Thanks, put it in the games thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You put it in the Game reviews forum...:p The mods are usually happy to move a misplaced thread, but it might be better to get to know the forums/read charters etc a bit more before starting another thread

• Advertisement

It's monday morning... not really at the races yet... n still in shock with the torres news.... :(

Advertisement