Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kneemos wrote: »
    Is that Edwin Jagger razor a decent enough model then or should I spend a bit more? No point in buying a "starter razor"and having to buy a decent one later.

It is a good brand and razor. Also well suited to starting out.
    The EJ razor uses a Muhle head. Pick whichever handle you like.
    The Muhle R89 might offer better grip
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r89-classic-razor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It is a good brand and razor. Also well suited to starting out.
    The EJ razor uses a Muhle head. Pick whichever handle you like.
    The Muhle R89 might offer better grip
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r89-classic-razor.html

Any difference between open and closed comb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kneemos wrote: »
    Any difference between open and closed comb?

Yes (and we could have a whole thread on it!).

Starting out, I'd recommend a closed comb/safety bar razor.
    The Muhle R41 is not a starter razor in case you're comparing that to the R89.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Yep, open comb is for heavier beard growth... I have one and it can leave me feeling a bit on the raw side after I use it, prefer the closed comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I don't have a heavy growth, but this http://http://www.shaving.ie/products/merkur-15c-open-comb-razor.html is my favourite razor (used with a Feather blade). No razor burn, no rawness, and never a nick except through my own carelessness.

• Advertisement

Chris, any plans to stock the barber-size Proraso cream?

Has anyone here tried the Cella soap http://http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-soap-crema-sapone.html? It looks like great value but I had a strong allergic reaction to Mitchell's so I'm a bit wary of soaps containing animal fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I wonder if it was the tallow or was it the lanolin in the MWF?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Just enjoyed my first DE shave thanks to shaving.ie - ordered a kit on Friday and it arrived today.

After much perusing of You Tube and various forums I took the plunge this evening!

+ I didn't cut myself
    - not as close a shave as I would have liked but practice makes perfect.

Happy Days.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Michael G wrote: »
    Chris, any plans to stock the barber-size Proraso cream?

Michael G.. yes its been there for a few years :)
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-shaving-cream-barber-size.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Has anyone here tried the Cella soap http://http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-soap-crema-sapone.html? It looks like great value but I had a strong allergic reaction to Mitchell's so I'm a bit wary of soaps containing animal fat.

I'm using it and like it. It produces a lovely lather which lasts, and a smooth shave, Every bit as good as Proraso or Palmolive, maybe not as good as DR Harris or Nannies but this is probably my unconscious justification to spend money :)
    It's great value. The 1 kilo block is huge and would last for years.
    If you want a sample let me know and I'll cut off a piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

So coming up on a year with my trusty Mhule R89 im thinking of learning to use a straight razor. Looking at the Dovo Matt Stainless Steel Shavette am I right in saying I can snap my DE blades in half to sit directly into it? Is there anything else I need to buy or any other recommendations? Thanks

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Michael G.. yes its been there for a few years :)
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-shaving-cream-barber-size.html

I don't know how I missed it. My fault. Annual bulk order being assembled now :)

5500 wrote: »
    So coming up on a year with my trusty Mhule R89 im thinking of learning to use a straight razor. Looking at the Dovo Matt Stainless Steel Shavette am I right in saying I can snap my DE blades in half to sit directly into it? Is there anything else I need to buy or any other recommendations? Thanks
    I have found shavettes very difficult to use; unlike real straights the weight and balance are all wrong. But perhaps a high-quality product like the Dovo is different.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I'm using it and like it. It produces a lovely lather which lasts, and a smooth shave, Every bit as good as Proraso or Palmolive, maybe not as good as DR Harris or Nannies but this is probably my unconscious justification to spend money :)
    That's a very generous offer. May I PM you?

That's a very generous offer. May I PM you?

Please do. A 1 kilo block is made for sharing:)

I have pretty much worked through a large sample of blades and have found the Polsilver (blue pack) to work the best for me, with the Feathers in second place. I think the Polsilvers hold their edge and consistent performance for longer, are marginally more forgiving and more comfortable.

So, before I order the bulk pack I'm wondering is it worth trying out the gold pack Polsilver? How do they compare to the blue pack?

Advice would be appreciated.

I have pretty much worked through a large sample of blades and have found the Polsilver (blue pack) to work the best for me, with the Feathers in second place. I think the Polsilvers hold their edge and consistent performance for longer, are marginally more forgiving and more comfortable.

So, before I order the bulk pack I'm wondering is it worth trying out the gold pack Polsilver? How do they compare to the blue pack?

Advice would be appreciated.

The old Polsilvers are different blades but similar in performance. Not sure if it is worth trying them out if you re happy enough with the new Iridiums. If you do decide to try them I would also recommend trying the Personna Preps if you have not done so already as they fit the description you outlined above.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    The old Polsilvers are different blades but similar in performance. Not sure if it is worth trying them out if you re happy enough with the new Iridiums. If you do decide to try them I would also recommend trying the Personna Preps if you have not done so already as they fit the description you outlined above.

Thanks for the prompt reply, and on a Sunday :)

Yes, I got some of the Persona Preps from you also. Nice blade as well. But I just found the Polsilver seem to suit me best, also they are slightly better value!

I will probably get a few of the gold Polsilver just to try but will get the SI bulk pack.

Another question, if you don't mind. Does the Merkur 993 Travel have the same head as the 46C travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Do I want a Merkur Progress or a Merkur Futur for Christmas.......I can't decide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd personally go for the Progress, might ask for one for Christmas actually. :pac: The Futur I'd personally find to be too bulky. Adama in Battlestar Galactica shaves with one though. :D

Another question, if you don't mind. Does the Merkur 993 Travel have the same head as the 46C travel?
    Yes the heads are the same.

Thanks to a gift of a generous lump of it from Rosahane, I've been trying the http://http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-soap-crema-sapone.htmll. Lovely soap. I find that it dries out quickly so I wet my face between first and second lathers, but it seems to work at least as well as more expensive soaps and creams. However I'll give it another week before I order, in case I get an animal fat reaction as I did with Mitchell's (which, unfortunately for me and my allergies, is a delightful soap to shave with).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Hi Chris,

Tis that time of year.

When are the starter kits for 50 odd euro coming back in? Going to get my brother into this wonderful world!

EDIT: Seems like they are in stock on the site now, so all is well.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

how do you use the 'lump'? Do you take a bit off and swirl that around in a bowl with the brush and some water? Or do you rub the wet brush against the entire lump and later in a bowl once enough has been extracted by the brush?

I'm tempted due to the value on offer and the good reviews.

how do you use the 'lump'? Do you take a bit off and swirl that around in a bowl with the brush and some water? Or do you rub the wet brush against the entire lump and later in a bowl once enough has been extracted by the brush?

I'm tempted due to the value on offer and the good reviews.

I just cut off about 100 grammes and pressed it into an empty soap dish. It's not a hard soap but malleable and easy to smooth off in a container. Then just use like any other soap puck.

Having said that it's slightly soft, but it's far from being a cream and it seems to be very economical in use so the kilo block is going to last for ever.

If feasible I think it would be be better to buy a block between a few guys and share it out!

I just cut off about 100 grammes and pressed it into an empty soap dish. It's not a hard soap but malleable and easy to smooth off in a container. Then just use like any other soap puck.

Having said that it's slightly soft, but it's far from being a cream and it seems to be very economical in use so the kilo block is going to last for ever.

If feasible I think it would be be better to buy a block between a few guys and share it out!
    You kindly gave me a bit and I moulded into the bottom of a Denby cappucino cup, which is what I use as a shaving mug. Before a shower, I fill the cup and soak the brush in it. I fear I am wasting the soap by dissolving it. What do you think?

You kindly gave me a bit and I moulded into the bottom of a Denby cappucino cup, which is what I use as a shaving mug. Before a shower, I fill the cup and soak the brush in it. I fear I am wasting the soap by dissolving it. What do you think?

using a Denby mug for mixing...aren't we posh ;)

why oh why did I click into this thread on the run up to Christmas, now I will have to put together a bundle to treat myself for the Christmas. I have no need for anything but since there are some new brands of blades on the website I will have to try them out. And sure while I'm there I may as well throw in a bottle or two of after-shave and the odd new soap/cream.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You will lose some soap into the water you pour away but I wouldn't worry about it. You may lose a few days use from a full puck but nothing major when you consider a puck of soap will last.

Advertisement