Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C15 Waitin' on the call!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cd2010

Only found this forum recently and I'm wondering if anybody else is in the same boat as me, I hadn't heard anything for months until about 4 weeks ago I got my vetting forms followed by the date for my medical about a week later. Based on what I've read here this all usually happens months before the planned intake date, so is it true that august is the last intake for c15 is in august? Anybody else still waiting to pass the vetting and medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hotel glo

cd2010 wrote: »
    Only found this forum recently and I'm wondering if anybody else is in the same boat as me, I hadn't heard anything for months until about 4 weeks ago I got my vetting forms followed by the date for my medical about a week later. Based on what I've read here this all usually happens months before the planned intake date, so is it true that august is the last intake for c15 is in august? Anybody else still waiting to pass the vetting and medical?

i didnt have quite as long as you to wait, i got my medical and vetting stuff in january and found out i had passed my medical 2 days later. vetting was cleared about 2 months after that.

i'm still waiting and it is looking like i have missed the boat until after the freeze is lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patientlywaitin

hotel glo
    i am in the same boat as you
    medical and vetting in January and havnt heard a thing since
    I'm non RC and merit score is 210-230

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

I just got an email from a close friend who knows that I'm starting in Aug. He knows another guy starting as well and he heard through him (and therefore passed it on to me) that while the aug intake is still planned it could change at any time but they just don't know yet. Apparently anyone who has been offered a contract by now SHOULD be ok but not to take it as gospel.

Also he mentioned an awful lot of industrial tribunals could come off the back of this if they revoke the offers less than 4 weeks before the date of intake as people will have handed their notices in.

I don't know if he read it somewhere, rang them up or has some 'insider' but just passing it on.

I'm still putting my faith with PSNI in what he said about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm still putting my faith with PSNI in what he said about it.

...and you won't be disappointed. ;)

Do bear in mind that before I informed everybody on this thread, I also put in a little warning/disclaimer in post #1, and the reason I did that was because the organisation reserve the right to change its mind at any point in time, so the thread is to be read with that in mind.

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    ...and you won't be disappointed. ;)

Do bear in mind that before I informed everybody on this thread, I also put in a little warning/disclaimer in post #1, and the reason I did that was because the organisation reserve the right to change its mind at any point in time, so the thread is to be read with that in mind.

Understandable. I don't think anyone who gets turned down at this stage will phone up and say "you have to hire me! Some guy on a forum told me you had to!"

I'm hoping the info my friend got was just recruitment covering their backs when they said it was likely but not 100%

....And I'll be taking it as gospel if I don't hear anything between now and 4 weeks from the intake date.

And something else that I forgot to add from my friend's email was that it said the august letters and phone calls went out much earlier than usual only because there was no June intake like normal. So anyone who has heard already for august might be thankful of that otherwise they'd maybe not have heard about it when the freeze announcement was made

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes but don't forget that letters and phone calls go out, but not everyone that commits over the phone follows through! Shamefully (and I know there are plenty of ex-Student Officers who will have their own stories to tell about this), people will agree to start, turn up for SID, get measured for the uniform, yada yada... and then either not turn up on Day 1, or leave in the middle of Day 1, that night while in bed, or some time during the first week.

...and that's how you blow £50,000 of tax-payer's money.
    ....And I'll be taking it as gospel if I don't hear anything between now and 4 weeks from the intake date.

And something else that I forgot to add from my friend's email was that it said the august letters and phone calls went out much earlier than usual only because there was no June intake like normal. So anyone who has heard already for august might be thankful of that otherwise they'd maybe not have heard about it when the freeze announcement was made

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Its true, we lost 1 on SID day (guy didn't turn up), then another 2 on the first day (1 was a girl who didn't realise the PSNI worked shifts :s), and a few more in the first week who realised that maybe the job just wasn't for them. It happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Is there a minimum number of people for each intake? If they don't get 50, would it still go ahead?

Getting a bit nervous over this everything can change clause, would hate for someone to snatch my dream away at the last minute :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

How does someone leaving on the first day cost 50k?
    Surely this is the cost of training and insurance over the course.
    Ahh ..My mistake...eg:1,000,000 to train 20 recruits...one drops out...still costs about the same...dupit

jclegs wrote: »
    Is there a minimum number of people for each intake? If they don't get 50, would it still go ahead?

Getting a bit nervous over this everything can change clause, would hate for someone to snatch my dream away at the last minute :(

I hope to god it goes through. I know they legislate for a few drop outs but if the numbers for Aug are already beow 50 and they're not allowed to ask anyone as of last Thurs then I hope our intake doesn't fold like a cheap deckchair

Pretty sure you guys are okay. The current Blues are thirty something, as are the current yellows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Cashflow wrote: »
    Its true, we lost 1 on SID day (guy didn't turn up), then another 2 on the first day (1 was a girl who didn't realise the PSNI worked shifts :s), and a few more in the first week who realised that maybe the job just wasn't for them. It happens!

How FFS can someone go through the whole process and not know the job involved shift working ? it just beggars belief .... but then I have to say I have seen some disturbingly stupid questions asked by people a week or 2 before they start in GV.........I do sometimes wonder if some folks really want to be Police Officers cos they seem to know SF All about it.

For your amusement (and possibly to educate others) I've compiled the Top 10 reasons people have walked on Day 1:
    1. They didn't know it involved shift work
    2. They didn't know they had to carry a gun
    3. They didn't know they had to walk beat patrols
    4. They thought the uniform was optional: "Oh no it's ok, I want to do plain clothes work"
    5. They thought their car would be automatically modified with personal issue blues and twos.
    6. They thought they could transfer to America
    7. They thought there were performance-related bonuses
    8. They thought the job carried 'perks' like free admission to concerts with Access All Areas, etc
    9. They thought they'd be able to "fix" tickets and fines for their family, friends, and even themselves... which leads me on to number 10
    10. They thought being a police officer meant you had Diplomatic Immunity

I suppose I'm profoundly shocked and perhaps amused at those reasons , though if I didn't know you better psni I would have thought you were taking the p1ss.
    It now explains why there is a tick box checklist with the application where you acknowledge the need for unsocial working hours , carrying a gun , possibly working with dogs and oh yes , goodness me the heavy burden of wearing a uniform.
    What dissappoints me is these guys are getting into GV - call me an intellectual snob but anyone who thinks uniform is optional ....

Wow hold on a second here... Being a cop won't get me access to the dressing room at Jedward's next gig? I'm clearly wasting my time here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Now that is hilarious! Thanks PSNI you just brightened up my day. I am sure it is no laughing matter but cant help it!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Where do these people live, it sounds like reality is on hold. Maybe we should all move there, bet we all get into alternative GV!

For your amusement (and possibly to educate others) I've compiled the Top 10 reasons people have walked on Day 1:

5. They thought their car would be automatically modified with personal issue blues and twos.

Ooh I like that one, gotta be my fav...my car would look sh1t hot with battenbergs and a light bar :D

Seriously though, shouldn't there be some sort of idiot filter in place early on in recruitment to stop these morons getting through and wasting a place that most of us would kill for!
    How some people can go through the entire process to getting selected without finding out some of the fundamental basics of being a PSNI officer such as shifts, wearing uniform, carrying a gun, having to walk on the beat (dear god help us all...) is beyond me! I don't know about anyone else, but I research like a b1tch everything and anything I can!

I think I've just lost a little bit of faith in humanity :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I do find it a bit disturbing these imbeciles get through the process and take places of people who really want the job - if you really wanted the job for the right reasons then you would know this stuff, whats next - '' I didn't think I would have to arrest people '' :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Azaka

delancey42 wrote: »
    I do find it a bit disturbing these imbeciles get through the process and take places of people who really want the job - if you really wanted the job for the right reasons then you would know this stuff, whats next - '' I didn't think I would have to arrest people '' :mad:

I know what you mean. Frankly it's staggering that people with the ability to get through all the tests and waiting and then lucky enough to be selected decide to jack it in on day one for any reason short of a big cheque from Camelot

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

1. They didn't know it involved shift work
    2. They didn't know they had to carry a gun
    3. They didn't know they had to walk beat patrols
    4. They thought the uniform was optional: "Oh no it's ok, I want to do plain clothes work"
    6. They thought they could transfer to America
    7. They thought there were performance-related bonuses
    8. They thought the job carried 'perks' like free admission to concerts with Access All Areas, etc
    9. They thought they'd be able to "fix" tickets and fines for their family, friends, and even themselves... which leads me on to number 10
    10. They thought being a police officer meant you had Diplomatic Immunity

BWAHAHAHhahahaha number 8 is amazing!! haha eejits

Hi all, who's still left from c15 then?

Is there a chance we could be in the next intake if or when it reopens?

Hi all, got a call today from a blocked number followed by a voicemail.

The lady said the message was for me and I had to call the number that she gave. I thought nothing of it until she said that it was urgent and about a job application. I haven't applied for any other jobs!! I didn't pick up the message until 5pm and by the time I called it back there was no answer.

I put the number into google and found it relating to psni recruitment on another forum but found nothing else in this country for that number.

Not sure what to think, especially as nobody else has 'reported in' with the 'I got the call' post.

Somebody help!!!! lol

hotel glo wrote: »
    Hi all, got a call today from a blocked number followed by a voicemail.

The lady said the message was for me and I had to call the number that she gave. I thought nothing of it until she said that it was urgent and about a job application. I haven't applied for any other jobs!! I didn't pick up the message until 5pm and by the time I called it back there was no answer.

I put the number into google and found it relating to psni recruitment on another forum but found nothing else in this country for that number.

Not sure what to think, especially as nobody else has 'reported in' with the 'I got the call' post.

Somebody help!!!! lol

Don't get your hopes up too much - but back in Febuary I recieved a similar message and it turned out to be an offer of a place in Gville. The wording used in mine and what you typed was almost identical too.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up too much - but back in Febuary I recieved a similar message and it turned out to be an offer of a place in Gville. The wording used in mine and what you typed was almost identical too.

Thanks for posting Cashflow, I'm trying to put it to the back of my head until tomorrow morning but the suspense is killing me lol!

It just worries me that nobody else has posted in yet with their calls, and thats why it could be something about my c16 application (which i havent done a medical or received vetting yet) but I doubt it as I messed up and only finished in the mid 300's

If it is then it seems that they haven't finished with c15 just yet.

must stop rambling now!

300s is fine, my merit was low 700's when I was offered a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Has your vetting cleared glo? If it has let's hope that you have got the call and an intake is around the corner for c15ers with reserved places and the first candidates from c16 whose vetting has cleared with a high merit score!

This waiting is cracking me up!!:cool:

Advertisement