Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C15 Waitin' on the call!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

I wouldn't get your hopes up - the most senior squad in at the moment have been in for 10 weeks, and with the next intake being soon, it would mean there being 4 squads. Its more than likely going to be another 4 months or so before any more calls go out after these ones.
    hotel glo wrote: »
    I'm guessing all calls went out last week then?
    All the best of luck to all the new recruits for next month, let's hope there's more calls next month to get me a little closer!

Good luck again folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Redjester

Cashflow wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up - the most senior squad in at the moment have been in for 10 weeks, and with the next intake being soon, it would mean there being 4 squads. Its more than likely going to be another 4 months or so before any more calls go out after these ones.
    Your logic sounds like it may be correct cashflow.. but i really, really hope not! the thought of another 4 months makes me want to cry! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hotel glo

so can garnerville only have 4 squads at once? How many squads a year are put through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

that just doesnt add up to me, they have had a new intake every month since nov, why would they now have a bottle neck? surely if they call at the start of may for the june intake, by the time the june guys start the current snr sqd would be on 18/19 weeks?

that just doesnt add up to me, they have had a new intake every month since nov, why would they now have a bottle neck? surely if they call at the start of may for the june intake, by the time the june guys start the current snr sqd would be on 18/19 weeks?

4 is the max. The new squad will be starting around the time the current senior squad are in week ~14, so until they are in at least week 20 its impossible for any more squads to physically fit into the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

4 is the max. The new squad will be starting around the time the current senior squad are in week ~14, so until they are in at least week 20 its impossible for any more squads to physically fit into the place.

There is an intake every 5 weeks so the senior squad would be at week 21 when the junior squad starts. They are off for the 21st week except for the last two days. So for two days there are 5 squads.

Yeah but the new ones don't get their flashes till the old one is gone, so my point is still true!

Yeah but the new ones don't get their flashes till the old one is gone, so my point is still true!

Well maybe its changed in the last year. There are still technically 5 squads for two days. When we passed out the flashings were collected at the end of week 20 and when we were back in for the last two days before passing out the new reds had our flashings.

In fact, just to put those of you at ease that are worried there wont be any more calls for 4 months I'll show the breakdown of how the squads fit in over their 21 weeks in Garnerville. Assuming the squad about to pass out are the reds then the timetable would look like this:

Week 21 - Reds (Snr)
    Week 16 - Yellows
    Week 11 - Greens
    Week 6 - Blues
    Week 1 - Reds (Jnr)

Now the only exceptions to this are when some time over the summer months an intake is skipped, presumably to allow trainers time to take some leave.

And secondly, obviously this time table depends on the number of people that are being recruited. However, in general there will be an intake every 5 weeks and every 5 weeks there will be a squad passing out.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

I had to get a defferal and they said on the phone that a June intake was unlikely, after that they would not say anymore except that I would be notified when the next intake does go ahead.

• Advertisement

Adolphus wrote: »
    I had to get a defferal and they said on the phone that a June intake was unlikely, after that they would not say anymore except that I would be notified when the next intake does go ahead.

Well there you go, that will more than likely be the summer intake thats skipped.

BoutYe wrote: »
    Well there you go, that will more than likely be the summer intake thats skipped.

Or maybe theres no intakes left and thats why c16 started early this year? Hope not, though!

Or maybe theres no intakes left and thats why c16 started early this year? Hope not, though!

Hope not also! However, I think the more likely situation is what has been already posted concerning a combination of too many squads being in at one time and training staff taking their summer holidays.

If there was not enough money to continue with C15 up to the approx. 440 recruits they probably would not have had the money for starting C16 so early either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastashapes

They said a June one was unlikely?! I have also been granted a deferral until June and they told me about six weeks ago now that if they anticipated they couldn't run it then they would phone people ASAP... and still no word. No news is good news in this case.

They said a June one was unlikely?! I have also been granted a deferral until June and they told me about six weeks ago now that if they anticipated they couldn't run it then they would phone people ASAP... and still no word. No news is good news in this case.

Yea they said unlikely but I guess that does not mean impossible. A June or July intake would be fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastashapes

Yea they said unlikely but I guess that does not mean impossible. A June or July intake would be fantastic!!

Really would be. Going on what they have told me I can only assume that no news is good news, but I guess they are usually pretty tight lipped! At the end of the day there if we were put back til September... it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think it's quite odd though how I have a induction day date (and I assume you do too) but yet we have to wait.... shame. Here's hoping:D

Well I suppose thats one way to look at it but as somebody else has said, if they weren't going to run the full set of intakes why start with a new campaign? If they have lists of people who have passed everything and are just waiting to get the call then why go to the expense of running a brand new campaign half way through the last?

too many squads being in at one time

On this point, if you refer to my timetable post, it is impossible for there to be too many squads at the one time unless for some reason they decide to abandon the 5 week intake/pass out structure.

The only other thing that could delay an intake that I can think of other than the reasons I have already given (holidays for staff or a reduction in the number being recruited) would be if there is some unforseen circumstance, or even some forseen circumstance that they already know about which will affect them itaking another squad in.

The staff are there, the rooms are there, the space is there. If another campaign is currently running - i.e. they are spending money on it, I dont see why C15 would be cut short unless they have maybe miscalculated their budget for the year. And again, this is C15, you would like to think something so obvious as that wouldnt be a factor this long into the whole PSNI recruitment saga.

I guess we are all just speculating but I just want to try and put the point across that there is no point getting all depressed and worried over what might happen when nothing has actually been confirmed by recruitment and there is a proven track record for how the process runs.

The amount of rumours you will hear before, during, and after Garnerville is unbelievable so don't take anything as gospel until you hear it from the horses mouth (that even includes somebody as knowledgable as myself :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Azaka

Hey, I had a quick look and couldn't find an answer so apologies if this has already been asked before;

Out of curiosity, how many people make up a squad? And how many squads have been put together from the C15ers?

Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Azaka wrote: »
    Hey, I had a quick look and couldn't find an answer so apologies if this has already been asked before;

Out of curiosity, how many people make up a squad? And how many squads have been put together from the C15ers?

Anyone any ideas?

there are about 50 per squad. each squad is not made up of just C15's or just C14s, it will be a mix for a while, and the C16's, when they start going in will be in squads with C15's too. no way of telling exactly how many have went in from C15. also some squads may have people who have been back squaded ie, they get the joy of repeating bits and pieces again because they were off sick for too long etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Azaka

Thanks Beca, good to know. :)

Just wondering if anyone with a deferral for C15 will do the AC for C16, provided you have entered that competition, if it comes up before we get confirmation for the start date of the next intake?

Just wondering if anyone with a deferral for C15 will do the AC for C16, provided you have entered that competition, if it comes up before we get confirmation for the start date of the next intake?

I wouldnt have thought it would be necessary if you have deferred as you have already been offered a place.

I'm going for my AC date as i'm waiting for the call still, and reckon if i can do a little better this year i may get in quicker. I'm hoping i'm only 2 intakes away though for C15.

If i was in your position i wouldnt be doing this years AC.

I wouldnt have thought it would be necessary if you have deferred as you have already been offered a place.

I'm going for my AC date as i'm waiting for the call still, and reckon if i can do a little better this year i may get in quicker. I'm hoping i'm only 2 intakes away though for C15.

If i was in your position i wouldnt be doing this years AC.

I agree with your point, except for the fact that they told us 'provided further training goes ahead', so I was debating with myself if it would be prudent to do the AC anyway, just in case. However, as I have argued elsewhere that they wouldn't be able to start C16 if they did not have the money to finish C15 I am actaully contradicting myself :D

Is anyone thinking there may be calls going out next week or the week after?

The last calls were 4 weeks ago now, so if all is still going to plan then fingers crossed!!

You'll all be happy to hear that I did a little looking ahead, and my squad are down for "induction duties" for a date in June. So its looking pretty likely that there will be a june intake. Beyond that I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

You'll all be happy to hear that I did a little looking ahead, and my squad are down for "induction duties" for a date in June. So its looking pretty likely that there will be a june intake. Beyond that I don't know.

I'm afraid to say there is no June intake :(

I was due to start in June but it has been put off by a few months.

jclegs wrote: »
    I'm afraid to say there is no June intake :(

I was due to start in June but it has been put off by a few months.

Hmm, well as I said, the timetable we have is subject to change - but it certainly has us slotted in for induction duties as it stands.

• Advertisement

Hmm, well as I said, the timetable we have is subject to change - but it certainly has us slotted in for induction duties as it stands.

I was supposed to start also and they said a few weeks back that June was 'unlikely', but would it be possible that the June date for induction duties, which some of your squad are scheduled for, would be for a July intake to follow a few weeks after it?

Advertisement