Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

daniel91 wrote: »
    I still havent recieved my confirmation letter to say ive got the grant even though i know with my circumstances i should get it. but the college is looking for this confirmation letter by the end of the month or they are making me pay the €1500 registration fee, which i simply do not have! been living of a bank overdraft since the start of college and thats nearly reached its limit! And i was fairly quick in getting all the documentation and completing the applicatation form and actually handing it in to the offices to make sure it didnt get lost in the post, and still nothing yet. Donegal CC is a total joke!!!

I was in the exact same position as you this time last week. I know how frustrating it can be. My brother rang Donegal CC for me and finally got through, told them I needed a letter saying I was still waiting for a grant, they were clueless as to why TCD would need the letter and that I should be in the system already. They sent me a letter saying that I will be in receipt of the grant and it's currently being processed.

I went into the college today to register and showed them my letter and they let me register, all I had to pay was the excess €85 for the SU membership and the gym fee.

Keep trying. My brother rang on a Tuesday afternoon at 2.15pm if that's any help? He rang the main office and then was redirected through there to the Grants office.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

just got a letter today about docments that i was missing , i have them now. my parents are seperated and on the bottom of the letter it said something like if their is joint custody and no maintence agreement that booth parents incomes are counted. i am 19 so custody shouldent matter right ? i live with my mum and rarely see my dad , they havent got a maintence agreement and my dad dosent give my mum money. are they going to count booth my parents incomes? i dont think it is really fair if they do because they are booth paying seprate mortgages and the costs of two house holds and have very little they can afored to give me towords collage. i was sure that i would be getting a grant but now if they going to count booth incomes i prob wont and will not be able to afforde collage, can anyone help advise me ? i really confussed and upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

That's horrendous!! Did you ring the office of whichever authority you applied to for a grant? They might be able to go through it with you and sort it out. I was always under the impression that custody was no longer relevent after 18? I hope it all turns out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

i tryed to ring today but got no answer, i am going to try and pop in on friday if i can finish collage early enough. the letter was very confusing, it like listed stuff i had forgotten which was fine, then it just kinda stated that if their was joint coustody and no maintance agreement that booth incomes would be counted. but it never asked in the letter for my dads p60 and stuff which i never gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Anyone hear anything abput kilkenny vec. Im still waiting to see if im even gonna get the grant. Has anyone got there grant from them already or even heard if they are getting it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

wobbles wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything abput kilkenny vec. Im still waiting to see if im even gonna get the grant. Has anyone got there grant from them already or even heard if they are getting it

Kilkenny VEC has not issued the grants yet.
    I can't comment on whether they've issued confirmation letters yet, as my daughter doesn't deal with them, but those whose applications have been approved should have received them by now. ie. Those who have submitted all the relevant documents, and had them processed by the VEC staff.

Try ringing them.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

i tryed to ring today but got no answer, i am going to try and pop in on friday if i can finish collage early enough. the letter was very confusing, it like listed stuff i had forgotten which was fine, then it just kinda stated that if their was joint coustody and no maintance agreement that booth incomes would be counted. but it never asked in the letter for my dads p60 and stuff which i never gave them.
    Some local authorities used to look for an affidavitt (spelling) that they are seperated and nothing paid , maybe check would they accept this..one used to send out a form to be filled in and witnessed by a peace comissioner ..about 4 years ago ,hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I sent back the form nearly a month ago. getting desparate for money!!! Iv searched everywhere on the net and cant find any hint of when it will be paid. seriously! and its not like I can ring coz I have no credit!

Students are the lowest priority for these people!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I sent back the form nearly a month ago. getting desparate for money!!! Iv searched everywhere on the net and cant find any hint of when it will be paid. seriously! and its not like I can ring coz I have no credit!

Students are the lowest priority for these people!

Which County Council are you dealing with?
    If your County Council hasn't paid out any Grants yet, or, like Donegal, just hasn't paid the first years, then it's time to get the media involved.

I happen to know that there was a similar delay last year involving a certain County Council (I'm not revealing my source, but I guarantee you it's reliable) - once the media got involved, all grants were paid within two weeks.

Have a chat with your students union, or student support councillor. I'm not sure if they can help, but they should be able to put you in contact with someone who can, or who can call on your behalf.
    No-one should be left without money until they have to drop out of college, and if this situation continues, That is going to happen to at least some students - and it's not good enough!

Students are the lowest priority for these people, because they don't vote - but the powers that be should be reminded that their parents do!

Post back, and let us know how you get on - sorry I can't be of more help.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Just got my letter today thank god, now just have to wait for the next round of money released from meath. Possiblely the happiest news i heard in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

My grant came today and I am filled with goat's cheese and beer and all is (finally!!!) right with the world...until January at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

Went to the Grant Office today and it was there for me. Happy Days indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Socrates

For those who have collected their cheques already, what county council was it from?

Im waiting on Cork County Council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Socrates wrote: »
    For those who have collected their cheques already, what county council was it from?

Im waiting on Cork County Council

Rang Cork City Council just now. Been awarded the full grant including the special rate. Really pleased. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Got my letter from Cork Co. today, number was near the mid 300, got the grant, happy days! Just had to get college to sign and stamp a document and got the bank to fill out a confirmation of my account form, so just have to wait for them to clear and hopefully Ill see money in my account soon enough!

Is this your first time applying? I had the grant last year so I thought that once I sent off the renewal form I would get it but no!!! still heard nothing!

Is this your first time applying? I had the grant last year so I thought that once I sent off the renewal form I would get it but no!!! still heard nothing!

It's my first year applying, was suprised I heard back so soon to be honest, especially after reading all the trouble people are having. Id give them a call, as I got a letter on Wednesday saying thatnks for applying heres your birth cert back we are processing your application and today I get a letter saying I recieved my grant, with Wednesdays letter I thought Id be waiting another 2 months!

Hope it goes into my account soon, funds are desperately needed, damn supplies for work placement!

Also hoping if someone can help me....I paid my fees myself back in September, couldnt really avoid it as Im on placement until the end of Novemeber and all our corrospondence is done through email/blackboard....How do I go about getting the 1500 back? Do I go to the Cork Co. council or do I go to college for a refund, as with the info I recieved today it said that they will be paying U.C.C the fees on my behalf?

I paid my fees myself back in September, couldnt really avoid it as Im on placement until the end of Novemeber and all our corrospondence is done through email/blackboard....How do I go about getting the 1500 back? Do I go to the Cork Co. council or do I go to college for a refund, as with the info I recieved today it said that they will be paying U.C.C the fees on my behalf?

Go to the accounts office I think and tell them the story. I think once you show them confirmation that you are receiving the grant they give you a refund. Im in DIT and from what I can remember I just went to the accounts office and I showed them my form confirming saying I had got the grant and they photocopied it and a few weeks later I got a cheque for the reg fee back

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Go to the accounts office I think and tell them the story. I think once you show them confirmation that you are receiving the grant they give you a refund. Im in DIT and from what I can remember I just went to the accounts office and I showed them my form confirming saying I had got the grant and they photocopied it and a few weeks later I got a cheque for the reg fee back

Are you serious? Jesus, could have done that last year. I paid out of my own pocket last year and got the grant in April (cos I applied in first week of Nov) but I wasn't reimbursed for it. Oh well.

you serious!!!!! You probably wont get it back now. pity. They screw you over!!! they dont tell you anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Nice one for that. I'm going to try that out with UCC once my letter confirming I got the grant arrives next week. I rang the Cork city council today and they told me i've been awarded the full grant plus the special rate. Delighted is not the word.

Gonna have to do this next week too, cant wait to get my money back...no fun for me though straight back into my savings it goes. Just wondering if Im going to have to go to the grant office to get a cheque or will it go inot my bank account? I assume my bank account as I had to fill out a form with my bank account details on it and get the bank to stamp and confirm the account was mine. Any one know?

It will go into the account you gave them the details for.

Hi all.

Has anyone received their grant from South Dublin Co.?
    I'm in second year and this time last year I was paid.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hello,

I'm from South Dublin CC
    I got an email and receipt last Thursday saying that my grant was paid into my account,
    I still haven't received any money in the account, this Maximum 3 working days crap is going to kill me!

Anybody know what time they actually finish a working day with banks?
    Is it the time they close, 4! or is it after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

i applied for the plc grant and got a letter today sayin they will be in contact with me very shortly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Got an email from my college saying that my grant is available for pick up.

County Dublin VEC.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Checked my balance online, I got it!

Any Donegal first years get paid yet?
    I know the Council says it will be December/January, just wondering if the pressure being applied has had any effect for those who have already been approved for the grant?

Noreen

• Advertisement

friends of mine rang the Co.Cork VEC yesterday and they said the grant was to be paid in today but nothing yet.
    I dont know about anybody else, but Im getting desperate!

Advertisement