Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

I got a call from Meath VEC today about my grant; they asked about a
    social welfare payment statement I'd sent tem showing what my da got on illness benefit last year. He's been on it about 3 years now but last year he did a couple weeks work so the welfare statement showed what he got from them for approx. Jan-June 29 and from July13- Dec 31...
    I'd completely forgotten that he did a bit of work so I didn't put that down on the application form...I told the VEC I'd call them back tomorrow cos I'd have to ask my parents about it (was in college when called). Well my Da's going to call them and explain, so hopefully that'lll sort it out but does anyone know if I'll have to send them anything extra? Like just to show my da did that 2 weeks (:rolleyes:) work and how much he got? Cos I knw what they're like, they'd want a statement if you'd earned
    just a cent:mad:
    But seeing as its last year he doesn't still have the wage slip or whatever so would he be able to get that from the employer??
    Our income would still be low enough for me to get the grant so I just want to get this out of the way...so sick of waiting:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

The county council act as if its coming out of their own pockets.....:( its there to be given , they dont need to make song and dance out of evry minor detail. im so sick if them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Raveni, if your dad was in paid employment last year even for a few weeks then he should have a gotten a p45 when he finished. Although seeing as it was for such a short period he may not have been put through the books.

Has anyone heard from Limerick County VEC recently! Im going to phone them tomorrow but wanted to see if many have received replies from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

trish2007 - am waiting to hear from Co. Limerick VEC as well. In my college the VEC have a tiny office in the building and I have found that lady very helpful. However, they are just swamped with applications and its just very slow.

I haven't even received an acknowledgement letter or a reference number so am still waiting - I just cannot understand why its taking so so long, its a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Trish2007- I don't think he got one but anyway he rang up the VEC today and they're able to get it so its grand now:) As long as they don't take another 2 months to get in touch...but I'm hoping this will speed things up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

amtaxi wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything from Kildare Co Co.?

The grants section are not responding to phone or e-mail enquiries. They're always late with the grants...I can live with that, for a while...but not having the courtesy to at least communicate with people and give some idea of whats happening is really unacceptable.

I would suggest calling in to their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I got my letter from Co. Limerick VEC today and YIPEE I qualify for the full grant which is just fantastic as I owe my poor hubby a fortune.

The relief is immense - so am here at my pc celebrating with a cuppa and an Aero bar, will leave the stronger stuff till later tonight!

Trish2007 I hope you got your letter today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Cole wrote: »
    The grants section are not responding to phone or e-mail enquiries. They're always late with the grants...I can live with that, for a while...but not having the courtesy to at least communicate with people and give some idea of whats happening is really unacceptable.

I would suggest calling in to their offices.
    Tried that - stil none the wiser = person dealing with my application not in!! :( But know i'm one of the first applications number wise - feel sorry for anyone down the list since they haven't processed the first 40 yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

amtaxi wrote: »
    Tried that - stil none the wiser = person dealing with my application not in!! :( But know i'm one of the first applications number wise - feel sorry for anyone down the list since they haven't processed the first 40 yet!

Are you serious/!?! This is for Cork right???

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Are you serious/!?! This is for Cork right???
    no Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Angeleyes I was just coming on to say I received my grant letter yesterday. I got it too which is great. Hopefully now they will pay it on time. Would be great if they do pay it into the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

Wtf really??!?! I finished first year of an ordinary degree when I was 18, 24 now, but I didn't get any grant at the time. That mean i'm screwed too?

hey sorry about the delay, if you did level eight even if u didnt get a grant at the time, if you finished the whole first year you won't be entitled to anything for first year, maybe second year an so forth.. when its seen in their eyes as progression. this country is a joke for anyone that wants to improve themselves any slight bit think they want us all in dole queue! sickened!

blondy24 wrote: »
    hey sorry about the delay, if you did level eight even if u didnt get a grant at the time, if you finished the whole first year you won't be entitled to anything for first year, maybe second year an so forth.. when its seen in their eyes as progression. this country is a joke for anyone that wants to improve themselves any slight bit think they want us all in dole queue! sickened!

It wasn't a level 8. At the time it was a Higher Diploma which was then upgraded to an Ordinary Degree. In that case I should be ok then right as the degree i'm doing now is an Honours Degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

im just after going in to my first year of a course in dit...however im applying through cao next year as i do not like my course at all and was my 4th choice so im not too keen...Anyway im waiting on acceptance of a grant..my question is should i drop out of the course straight away now so as to be elligable for a grant next year!?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

has any one heard from co clare vec. i am like no 600

• Registered Users Posts: 6 legoboy

:mad:Anyone hear from Limerick City Vec, i applied on the 7th of July, i was told everything was in order with regards paperwork, still haven't heard a thing, rang them last friday, they said they still haven't processed applications yet..WTF it is now October, what the hell were they doing all summer!!!!!!! The public sector in Ireland is a joke, the sooner it is completly overhauled the better.. it wouldn't happen in any other country...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Got my grant from Dublin CC :)

About friggin time.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Still not a word from Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown. >_o

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Got in touch with Fingal Coco again. Been told not to expect any sort of correspondance for 8-10 weeks

Still nothing from Cork either. I haven't heard anything by tomorrow i'm going to ring them up on Thursday or Friday to see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭DenMan

Still NOTHING from Sligo either!!! Will have to contact them again ASAP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Still nothing from Cork either. I haven't heard anything by tomorrow i'm going to ring them up on Thursday or Friday to see what the story is.

Havent heard anything yet either, wrecking my numbers in the early 300, could really do with the money as Im on placement at the moment and need to buy supplies for my activities!

Havent heard anything yet either, wrecking my numbers in the early 300, could really do with the money as Im on placement at the moment and need to buy supplies for my activities!

Mine was sent in in late July/early August. It was sent back to me as I hadn't provided enough documentation. I got it resubmitted on the 20th of August so I reckon I should be relatively high on the list. I need to get books for college. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I'm doing a PLC at the moment but I have no job and I'm totally skint just trying to pay for transport every week! I wrote to the Dublin County VEC and I was told that they couldn't tell me how long it would take...not even roughly how long it would take.
    The person said they are all working as fast and as hard as they can but they're swamped with applications at the moment. I had hoped I would get some information around mid/late October but by the way she describes things I wont be hearing from them for a long while yet....

Do PLC Grants get processed differently to 3rd level grants?Like do they take longer/shorter time to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

I have confirmation that i got the grant but it wont be paid out till the 15 of November:eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Any news from South Tipp VEC anyone? I've been back in college for the last six weeks and I'm getting very sick of the .25c Lidl noodles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Any news from South Tipp VEC anyone? I've been back in college for the last six weeks and I'm getting very sick of the .25c Lidl noodles!!!

Sweet, I'm shopping in Lidl from now on haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Nothin from cork either, ive rang them numerous times (its quite tough to get a hold of an actual person and not an answering machine) and the best answer she could give me was that ill hear in the next few weeks.
    Ridiculous.:(:(

Davie89 wrote: »
    Nothin from cork either, ive rang them numerous times (its quite tough to get a hold of an actual person and not an answering machine) and the best answer she could give me was that ill hear in the next few weeks.
    Ridiculous.:(:(

That's pretty much what I got but, I got my mother to ring them for me yesterday. That's right, me, a 24 year old mature student got his middle aged mother to ring the grants office to find out what the story was. :D Anyway, they said to her that they were assessing my application at the moment but that everything seemed in order and I should get a letter off them with the first batch that will be sent out by the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

chriz wrote: »
    I have confirmation that i got the grant but it wont be paid out till the 15 of November:eek: :(

Which County Council/VEC is that?
    My daughter has confirmation of the amount she will be paid, but no indication of when. (Donegal)

Noreen

Advertisement