Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

still waiting to hear back from south dublin vec just get an automated message now when you ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

Ericka wrote: »
    I'm so angry with this. The fees are to pay for college fees. The maintenance is there to assist people in the day to day costs of attending college. Not to supply Christmas presents. You shouldn't have factored this money as some kind of safety net for Christmas. There are some that actually need it just to be in college.

Hi Erica,

No need to be angry. I agree that the grant should be used to help people with day to day costs attending college, and given the strict criteria, I would say in most cases it is only granted to people who need help covering these costs.

However, I have been put in a position where I have had to use all of my personal finances to try to cover these day to day costs. A major factor in this is that I was not paid the grant at the start of term due to my awarding body being, once again, fashionably late and overwhelmed with paperwork etc.

Had I been paid at the beginning of term (end of Sept) as planned, then there would be no problem.

I'm sure many people are in the same situation, and as another poster pointed out, I'm not advocating applying for a grant simply to spend on christmas presents!

Thanks,

MD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 korndog

Donegal county council post- grad maintenance grant anyone?

Still waiting and in a bit of bother. Anybody get theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Limerick Co. Council

I am so very upset, have been getting the runaround for months now :(

I had my application in well on time.

Spoke to the person who's actually dealing with it today, she said there won't be a decision until the new year.

I actually started crying on the phone. Not my usual way of dealing with people on the phone I might add.

I know UL are investigating why the process is so very abysmal this year but that doesn't help me.

The stress is making me feel sick.

I am so very confused as to how this is allowed to happen. I'm in college four months now, honestly; how are people supposed to focus on their studies with all this going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Creel

This year's process does seem to have been handled very badly. Just wondering - if the process goes into the new year and beyond the usual date that the second installment of the grant is usually given, does that mean you lose the first part of the grant, or do you get all of the grant irrespective of when it is approved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I can't see them not giving you all of your grant because they were late.

Creel wrote: »
    This year's process does seem to have been handled very badly. Just wondering - if the process goes into the new year and beyond the usual date that the second installment of the grant is usually given, does that mean you lose the first part of the grant, or do you get all of the grant irrespective of when it is approved?

I don't think this year is unique for some of the county councils...

Last year I had all paperwork in well on time, did not get a payment til early February...and at that point I got two payments together. You will always get your full entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Creel wrote: »

Afailk you still get all your payments. I hope this is the case because I have been enjoying the idea of being debt-free since I was approved. I will need those extra payments to pay people back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I got a letter from my VEC a while back and I'm just wondering if this is normal. I applied under the adverse change in circumstances since my dad lost his job in January. I submitted all his details i.e. social welfare statement, redundancy statement etc. but now I'm being asked for all this info again. I'm confused, the explanation I was given was they need to check the most recent change in circumstance information but that seems very unnecessary and unfair since I did hand my documents well ahead of time and their slowness shouldn't be allowed to hold back a much needed grant for another few weeks. I haven''t heard of this happening to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I got a letter from my VEC a while back and I'm just wondering if this is normal. I applied under the adverse change in circumstances since my dad lost his job in January. I submitted all his details i.e. social welfare statement, redundancy statement etc. but now I'm being asked for all this info again. I'm confused, the explanation I was given was they need to check the most recent change in circumstance information but that seems very unnecessary and unfair since I did hand my documents well ahead of time and their slowness shouldn't be allowed to hold back a much needed grant for another few weeks. I haven''t heard of this happening to anyone else.

Yeah it is unfair, but if it gets you the grant it's worth it. Just jump through their hoops, I was asked for some very strange documents, including a letter staring what my father was earning, to be stamped by him employer, regardless of the fact that they had his p60. But hey, I just went and got it all done and secured the grant there last week.

So its a pain in the hole alright, but you won't mind doing it that much if you really need the money. That is not my way of implying that you don't by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

peanuthead wrote: »
    Yeah it is unfair, but if it gets you the grant it's worth it. Just jump through their hoops, I was asked for some very strange documents, including a letter staring what my father was earning, to be stamped by him employer, regardless of the fact that they had his p60. But hey, I just went and got it all done and secured the grant there last week.

So its a pain in the hole alright, but you won't mind doing it that much if you really need the money. That is not my way of implying that you don't by the way.

Yeah once the money comes I won't be complaining and in one way it's handy since I'll get a lot more all at once. I'll appreciate more than the monthly €380. I'm trying to think of it as "the grant bank" but it's getting annoying at this stage since I'm close to dropping out because of finances. Hopefully it'll come through before rent is due next month *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

finally got my grant paid today after a long wait from the vec.

my registration fee was also refunded friday just gone.

tipperary clonmel vec
    donegal lyit college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NuclearWombat

Hey! Could someone please reassure me I'm not the last person to have not heard about their grant, save a "receipt of application" letter?
    Or am i just screwed?

Cheers, Daragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hey! Could someone please reassure me I'm not the last person to have not heard about their grant, save a "receipt of application" letter?
    Or am i just screwed?

Cheers, Daragh

Hi,
    I am also waiting to hear other than the receipt letter.Im co cork and im around number 690s.My brother is waiting also and he is in the 500's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Im still waiting for any responce. Mine was handed in directly to the grants office so i know it was recieved. Cant get through to the grants office as they are only open 2-4. Still cant get them during those times. Best bet is to ring as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Creel

I'm still waiting from a response from CDVEC. Got a text from them start of Dec to say they were closing down for a month to process this year's grants - which means at least they have my form. Hopefully should hear something soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NuclearWombat

shezer wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am also waiting to hear other than the receipt letter.Im co cork and im around number 690s.My brother is waiting also and he is in the 500's

Hmm...they gave you your queue number, that's a lot more than I got in Dublin! Totally in the dark.. And the 2-4 phone service is an utter joke. At this rate we'll be getting it in time for next September! Grr..

Fingal applicants only :)

Hey all,

I know some of you are waiting to hear back from Fingal Co Co regarding the grant. If your application has been confirmed and you are in the limbo that exists between there and getting a payment, you can call this fella:

Hal Jordan
    01-8905803

He is the next step up from the people on the regular 2 - 4pm phoneline, who can tell you no more than 'two more weeks'.

MD

mods: the number and name were given to me by the people in the HEG section of Fingal, however if it's a problem to display them here, then please remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

county council workers cant do their jobs. crap. ! dont care less about students. act like its coming out of their own pockets! have had to drop out of my course as they wouldnt give me the grant. they'l turn will come....:mad: my god ....there turn will come....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Just a note for some people awaiting their second instalment of the grant. I emailed my local Co. Council and they said that in order for them to pay me, they need proof from my University that I'm still attending.

Maybe drop them an email and get a letter from your University/College and send it off to them.

Hope this helps some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

any idea when the next installment of the Co.Cork VEC grants will be paid? Im broke!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

SarahBM wrote: »
    any idea when the next installment of the Co.Cork VEC grants will be paid? Im broke!!! :(

Seems to be a slight delay on it. I'm in UCC and this is the latest update on it,
    Latest information is that second instalments will not be available until the beginning of February.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/financeoffice/fees/GrantChequesAvailableForCollection/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Got my decision . . . . and it was a good one!

Great to know the money is out there somewhere in the ether. So broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jaybl

Anyone get there second installment of dublin city council yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just so you know, all maintenance grants have been cut by 5% since 1 January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just so you know, all maintenance grants have been cut by 5% since 1 January

Yeah noticed this when I collected my cheque, full non-adjascent is down from €1140 to €1083 now.

Is it just me or was the cut kept very quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

kateos2 wrote: »
    Yeah noticed this when I collected my cheque, full non-adjascent is down from €1140 to €1083 now.

Is it just me or was the cut kept very quiet?

I got a letter a few weeks back from my local VEC about the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

just got email from Co.Cork VEC getting 2nd installment on friday. just in time for rent day! sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

SarahBM wrote: »

Same,

Any news on the Dublin City Council VEC second payment anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Bajingo wrote: »
    Same,

Any news on the Dublin City Council VEC second payment anyone?

Yep

Advertisement