Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Apparently a decision was being made by meath today on mine, I'll know in the morning, pretty confindent that I should be getting teh full maintenance and god knows its ****ing welcome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

brownacid wrote: »
    I was there today, talking to a very nice man. He told me to hold out until the last possible secind to pay the fees and register as he didn want me to pay it today and the tmw get the letter from the council meaning my paying was pointless.

Finally got through to Donegal CC anyways, they said the woman I was emailing and ringing was on sick leave. Well if she was on sick leave, then why the ****isn't there an auto-repsonder or something. Anyways, so they're posting out a letter saying I'm waiting for a grant. Told the fees office and explained to them I won't be able to bring it to TCD til next week (Mon/Tues) seeing as it's being posted to Donegal and should be there by Friday.

Gonna print out all the emails I have of the correspondence with TCD and the letter next week so they can't **** me over if they say I have to pay etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Davie89 wrote: »
    Cork yet anybody???

Got a reference number letter only.Do we get told what else we need???I think im ok anyway tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

the money is there to be giving to students. why do the people working in the grant department act as though it comes out of their pockets? its there,they should give it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Finally got through to Donegal CC anyways, they said the woman I was emailing and ringing was on sick leave. Well if she was on sick leave, then why the ****isn't there an auto-repsonder or something. Anyways, so they're posting out a letter saying I'm waiting for a grant. Told the fees office and explained to them I won't be able to bring it to TCD til next week (Mon/Tues) seeing as it's being posted to Donegal and should be there by Friday.

Gonna print out all the emails I have of the correspondence with TCD and the letter next week so they can't **** me over if they say I have to pay etc...

That would explain why there has been no reply to my e-mail for six weeks, because she was on sick leave when I phoned at the beginning of September. I take it no-one is checking her inbox.

They didn't happen to mention when they were actually going to pay the grant, did they? Because the last time I was talking to them, they said the grant was usually paid out at the end of October. I'm wondering what's going to happen this year with all the extra applications........

Noreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Noreen1 wrote: »
    They didn't happen to mention when they were actually going to pay the grant, did they? Because the last time I was talking to them, they said the grant was usually paid out at the end of October. I'm wondering what's going to happen this year with all the extra applications........

Noreen

Nope didn't ask that. By the looks of doesn't look like it'll be for ages yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone get paid from Dublin City council yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, but I got paid from South Dublin County Council on Wednesday. :D I wasn't expecting it until the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Whooo, got paid yesterday, Galway City VEC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just got my letter. They cut my grant in half :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

i found out that i wont be able to get the grant. How am i suposed to pay for college i have no money i mean i actually have no money what am i going to do.

how many i going to pay for everything:eek::eek::(:(

For anyone who applied to fingal coco, just to say I applied to them and got my letter yesterday. Actually came 3 weeks earlier than they had told me I should expect to wait :)

It's nice to see that as flawed and ridiculous as their process is, they at least improved on last year, my sister had applied to them then and didnt get the grant till february...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

For anyone who applied to fingal coco, just to say I applied to them and got my letter yesterday. Actually came 3 weeks earlier than they had told me I should expect to wait :)

It's nice to see that as flawed and ridiculous as their process is, they at least improved on last year, my sister had applied to them then and didnt get the grant till february...

Congrats on getting the grant .. although I'm not sure everyone will agree with the comment about the service having improved.
    answer me wrote: »
    i found out that i wont be able to get the grant. How am i suposed to pay for college i have no money i mean i actually have no money what am i going to do.

That is awful, so sorry for you! Is there anything you can do like giving grinds, selling last year's books? I have a feeling that I'm going to be in your situation.

I called South Dublin on Friday and they are not taking any calls at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

answer me wrote: »

I'm so sorry to hear that! I think it's ridiculous that people who genuinely don't have money are refused grants. Particularly if they get refused on a small technicality. As if things weren't stressful enough already!! I hope something turns up for you :). Would you have the time to get a part-time job? The Christmas temp hiring has begun in lots of places. Little consolation I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Need...money...now!!!

If it's not in my account tomorrow, I will fall to my knees and weep openily at the ATM!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

May I ask a quick question from anyone approved from Co. Limk VEC - received letter that I received grant but no mention of when its paid out. Just wondering if anyone knows when they do pay out.

Thanks

angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

After a bit of arguments with the grants office and what not over my supposed "lost documents" I finally got approved for cork!!! Im in desperate need of it too, what a ridiculous system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Really need the grant soon, I'm on Erasmus in Czech republic and there's trips, rent and food that needs to be payed for. Hope it's in my account tomorrow!!
    Any other Erasmus South Dublin CC students still waiting?

Davie89 wrote: »
    After a bit of arguments with the grants office and what not over my supposed "lost documents" I finally got approved for cork!!! Im in desperate need of it too, what a ridiculous system!

delighted for you!! :D:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

limerick city here havent heard a peep!!ugh!:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Why on earth did the vecs not accept and start processing grant applications earlier this year?? Surely they saw there'd be a massive increase in student numbers/applications and it'd take longer to process them all than other years?!?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dee_f

the should be in by the end of the month - most should be paid by end of oct - but ring them and check

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

emailed wicklow co co to ask when they're sending out the cheques and this is the reply I got
    Hi,

We have applied for the cheques from our own Finance Department. We hope to have them sent to the Colleges by the first week in November at the latest.

Regards

Edit: Just got an email and UCD student's union are organizing a protest at wicklow count council offices about how long the first installment is taking.

I've just come off the phone to Donegal County Council, and Grants for returning students will be issued this week.

First years can expect a considerable delay, due to cutbacks in staffing levels. I'd suggest that first years contact their TDs and County Councillors, and object - strongly!
    That is precisely what I'm going to do, anyway. It's gone well beyond a joke, at this stage.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I still havent recieved my confirmation letter to say ive got the grant even though i know with my circumstances i should get it. but the college is looking for this confirmation letter by the end of the month or they are making me pay the €1500 registration fee, which i simply do not have! been living of a bank overdraft since the start of college and thats nearly reached its limit! And i was fairly quick in getting all the documentation and completing the applicatation form and actually handing it in to the offices to make sure it didnt get lost in the post, and still nothing yet. Donegal CC is a total joke!!!

daniel91 wrote: »
    I still havent recieved my confirmation letter to say ive got the grant even though i know with my circumstances i should get it. but the college is looking for this confirmation letter by the end of the month or they are making me pay the €1500 registration fee, which i simply do not have! been living of a bank overdraft since the start of college and thats nearly reached its limit! And i was fairly quick in getting all the documentation and completing the applicatation form and actually handing it in to the offices to make sure it didnt get lost in the post, and still nothing yet. Donegal CC is a total joke!!!

Phone the council, and request the letter. You will only get the Grants office between 9am and 12.30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, though. You could try and get someone to make an appointment on your behalf, and call into the office, as it's so near the end of the month. Whatever you do, don't rely on e-mail - it almost certainly wont get a reply.

Seriously, do phone your TD, and make a fuss. I called mine (first time ever), and informed his secretary about the situation. He's supposed to call back this afternoon - thing is, he knows full well I didn't vote for him, because I told him I wouldn't, so I'm not likely to be on his priority list LOL.

I'll post back if he gets in contact.

Good luck.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Just heard on the radio that some applications may not be fully processed til January!!:eek::mad: And apparently theres been a 20% increase in applications this year so that probably explains it, but still sucks...:mad:

raveni wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that some applications may not be fully processed til January!!:eek::mad: And apparently theres been a 20% increase in applications this year so that probably explains it, but still sucks...:mad:

January!! :eek: ffs!!!

Its a real pain in the ass all this waiting around, but I'm sure it can't be fun for those processing them either.

I will be in the office of my local TD next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Just got a letter of reciept from Cork Co. Council today, can anyone tell me what this means? Nothing in my a/c yet.

P.s. the letter was printed upside down relative to the cork co co logo!

• Advertisement

peanuthead wrote: »
    January!! :eek: ffs!!!

Its a real pain in the ass all this waiting around, but I'm sure it can't be fun for those processing them either.

I will be in the office of my local TD next week too.

I was told the 600 first year applications would be processed by Christmas, the other cheques should be issued this week.

I was also told that the lady who usually processes the grants has been laid off, leaving only one experienced staff member there, with an assistant temporarily drafted in, presumably from another section.

My suggestion to my TD will be that they get some temps in there. Even if they only do the very basic typing etc., it's bound to speed up the process.

Last time I checked 17 County councils had issued Grants - so why should Donegal students have to wait? I suspect quite a few students will be dropping out if they have to wait until Christmas for their grant!

Noreen

Advertisement