Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

still havent got my grant from Co.Cork VEC. They keep saying ring back another day! Soooooooo frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I put mine in to Waterford VEC around the 20th of august. I got a letter of confirmation that they'd received the form around september but nothing since. Has anyone heard from their VEC yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Got my letter today,Getting a grant :)

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?I'm in UCC says I need to go to the grant office,Is that to collect the money or let them know I'm waiting for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do?I'm in UCC says I need to go to the grant office,Is that to collect the money or let them know I'm waiting for it?

If you're doing a level 8 course you collect a cheque from the grants or relevant office, paid in three installments. If you're level 6/7 its paid monthly into your bank account once you've given them your acc details.
    As far as I know, thats the way its done:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ShaneDubber

Got my letter today confirming i'm getting the higher education grant, but they're saying i'm getting the adjacent rate because "i live within 24kms of the college" (which I know for a fact that I don't). I'm entitled to the non-adjacent rate so does anyone know how to go about re-applying?

Also, the level i'm getting is €1370. Is that paid 3 times during the year, or didvided into 3 parts and paid each term. If anyone can help me i'd be grateful because the county councils are useless!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Got my letter today confirming i'm getting the higher education grant, but they're saying i'm getting the adjacent rate because "i live within 24kms of the college" (which I know for a fact that I don't). I'm entitled to the non-adjacent rate so does anyone know how to go about re-applying?

Also, the level i'm getting is €1370. Is that paid 3 times during the year, or didvided into 3 parts and paid each term. If anyone can help me i'd be grateful because the county councils are useless!

Thanks

I wouldn't be sure if you should reapply, the same thing might happen again, just call your vec about it, if you live in a town they might have looked at the distance of the town, instead of exactly where you actually live. You can check exact distances on google earth, so I'd tell them to do that. I don't know how else to go about that:rolleyes:

If you're on a higher certificate, ordinary degree, or course (and in an intstitute of technology) they pay it monthly into your bank account. Same goes for plc courses. For any other courses its paid in three installments, the college lets you know when its available to be collected I think.
    Hope that helped:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ShaneDubber

Yes it did. Thanks alot!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

raveni wrote: »

If you're on a higher certificate, ordinary degree, or course (and in an intstitute of technology) they pay it monthly into your bank account. Same goes for plc courses. For any other courses its paid in three installments, the college lets you know when its available to be collected I think.
    Hope that helped:)

So if Im reading that right, anyone on a level 8 gets that rate split into three installments, while other courses get that same rate every month?Fot the 9 months of college??

lilmizzme wrote: »
    So if Im reading that right, anyone on a level 8 gets that rate split into three installments, while other courses get that same rate every month?Fot the 9 months of college??

The whole amount is split into three installments for level 8 and its divided over the 9 months for the other levels. The other levels don't get more:o Like for the full rate (3,420) it would be 380 monthly. Although seeing as I'd say nobody started getting there grant in september, I don't know if thats added to each payment to make up the money owed or if thats just totally added to the first payment...anyone know actually? I'm waiting for my first payment:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Finally got confirmation today--full adjacent grant plus maintenance.

Guess I'll be spending a lot more me in the pub now... :v

• Advertisement

got my letter last friday :D getting the full adjacent plus top up :D happy days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Donegal County Council first year grants are available for collection in NUI Galway. :D:D Happy days!

Noreen

Well County Cork VEC said I should have it before xmas but sure like when is that going to be. my friend sent in her form late and got her grant 2 weeks ago, and they lost my other friends renewal form, so he has to send it back in again! What a shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just off the phone to clonmel VEC, and i got the full top up!

delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dee1dee2

rang meath county council today grant was pais to college on 11th nov aagh got letter ages ago telling me i was getting grant never said what amount or when. so was expecting second letter never came. now college is looking for a letter stating i got grant even though they handed me cheque today so they can invoice council to get me my fees refunded oh help

Still no word from Cork County VEC. plan to write an angry letter 2moro as I never get a response to my emails. the incompetant shower lost my friends renewal and he had to go through all the hassle of getting photocopies of his renewal from the office in DIT. he was so POed he sent three copies back, just incase they manage to loose the copies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

dee1dee2 wrote: »
    rang meath county council today grant was pais to college on 11th nov aagh got letter ages ago telling me i was getting grant never said what amount or when. so was expecting second letter never came. now college is looking for a letter stating i got grant even though they handed me cheque today so they can invoice council to get me my fees refunded oh help

use the letter that you first got saying that you got the grant, up in the top right corner it should say NA-(insert number here) or A-(insert number here), NA is for non-adjacent and A is for adjacent, the number coressponds to teh level of grant that you get. That letter will do fir your college, I had to do the same thing, Ive been waiting like 2 months for them to refund me, college is just processing it now and i should have my refund before xmas, thank ****!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I applied with Fingal back in September, would it be worth me following it up or will they get in contact with me?

Follow up, annoy the crap put of them, its the only way they ever do anyting

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

They are refusing me the grant as i dont have a letter of independant residance for oct 2008. i am getting BTEA. can they refuse me? i thought if you got one you got the other? please some one tell me:confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

bethm24 wrote: »
    They are refusing me the grant as i dont have a letter of independant residance for oct 2008. i am getting BTEA. can they refuse me? i thought if you got one you got the other? please some one tell me:confused::eek:

Hi, getting the btea does not automatically entitle you to a grant....There are so many caveats in the grant application process...ie if you've been in college before, you have to wait 5 years before you can get the grant again [like I did] citizensinformation.ie is a very good place to start.
    My guess is however, that they want to ensure your coiture and have not been living with your parents before they give you the grant.
    Get the proof of independent residence first....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

danthefan wrote: »
    I applied with Fingal back in September, would it be worth me following it up or will they get in contact with me?

I was on to them yesterday...I had submitted everything in August, but they got back at end of nov looking for a bit more. Finally got that off the DSFA this week and faxed it straight over...so now that they have everything they said...

2 more weeks til they can look at it.

Here come the homemade christmas presents.

Finally got email from Cork county VEC today. Getting paid next friday!!! about bloody time. It said Im getting €855. is that just the 1st installment? they didnt even say if Im getting the full amount or same as last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

Here come the homemade christmas presents.

I'm so angry with this. The fees are to pay for college fees. The maintenance is there to assist people in the day to day costs of attending college. Not to supply Christmas presents. You shouldn't have factored this money as some kind of safety net for Christmas. There are some that actually need it just to be in college.

Ericka wrote: »
    I'm so angry with this. The fees are to pay for college fees. The maintenance is there to assist people in the day to day costs of attending college. Not to supply Christmas presents. You shouldn't have factored this money as some kind of safety net for Christmas. There are some that actually need it just to be in college.

I think you are over reacting to that statement just a bit. Im relying on the grant for college too, but it would be nice to buy my Mam and Dad something small for Xmas to thank them for all the help they have been giving me financially for the last 2 years. After all I wouldnt still be in college if it wasnt for them and I want to get them something small to show my appreciation. and since I (and others) have no other source of income other than the grant, it stands to reason that I and they might use a small bit of that money to buy a gift. I dont think Mother Duck ment that they are going t blow their entire grant on Xmas presents or was depending on that money soley for xmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Just got a letter today in the post - I'm getting the grant!! :D I really needed this so much - I had lost all hope and thought I might have to drop out!!

Just one question - my fees were 6400. I had to pay 3200, which I got a loan for. Can I get that half back off them to clear my loan?

PS: I know max amount for pgrad is 6100 or 6200 or something.

Need this cash back to clear that loan to be honest. Don't mean to sound selfish but I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

peanuthead wrote: »
    Just got a letter today in the post - I'm getting the grant!! :D I really needed this so much - I had lost all hope and thought I might have to drop out!!

Just one question - my fees were 6400. I had to pay 3200, which I got a loan for. Can I get that half back off them to clear my loan?

Need this cash back to clear that loan to be honest. Don't mean to sound selfish but I do.

Similar situation, I've been given 5000 in fees but I've already paid 2500. The forms say fees will be paid directly to the college. Is there some way to claim back what I've paid already?

I recievd my refund check from trinity yesterday, thank god, it was needed so badly, had a massive loan that needed to pay registration and travel costs up and down. My bank is gonna be sooo happy now

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

peanuthead wrote: »

Your college should refund you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

thanks, thats great to know!!

Advertisement