Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Davie89 wrote: »
    Nothin from cork either, ive rang them numerous times (its quite tough to get a hold of an actual person and not an answering machine) and the best answer she could give me was that ill hear in the next few weeks.
    Ridiculous.:(:(

Latest I heard is that they'll be available from 26 October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Next week, thankfully. That's the third Friday of the month, the date when grants are generally paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The 1st grants are available for collection in NUIG.
    I've posted a thread in the NUIG forum with a link to click and check if your particular county council or VEC has them available yet:)

Edit: I'm not sure if this will apply to the people on their 1st year grant if they haven't had confirmation yet. I'm a 2nd year so didn't need any confirmation, just went in this morning after seeing that Galway county council grants were ready for collection and mine was there.....Happy days, badly needed the money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

asked about my grant, they said i was missing my mothers p45.. but she's still working in the place..

So ill hopefully be getting one.. anyone know how long I should wait? Is ther emuch point ringing my VEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 legoboy

Finally heard from Limerick City vec, got the grant, about bloody time, still have no idea when it is going to be paid gggrrrhhhh:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

This is ridiculous. I haven't paid my registration fee as I'm waiting to hear back from Donegal County Council to hear if I've got my grant. In 2nd year, have tried ringing them several times, emailing them, both persons involved, asked the Fees office what could I do cos I haven't got the money to pay my registration fee, they told me to go back to DCC to get a letter, but the fecking problem is I can't get bloody hold of them!

Anyone else hear from Donegal County Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

This is ridiculous. I haven't paid my registration fee as I'm waiting to hear back from Donegal County Council to hear if I've got my grant. In 2nd year, have tried ringing them several times, emailing them, both persons involved, asked the Fees office what could I do cos I haven't got the money to pay my registration fee, they told me to go back to DCC to get a letter, but the fecking problem is I can't get bloody hold of them!

Hi Donegalgirl28, I am in my 2ndyear in Nuig and I didn't get any confirmation of my grant for this year as I was told by Galway CoCo that I didn't need it. I just went to the grant collection area in Nuig yeaterday and my grant was there..
    may be different procedure where you are though:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Can't advise on second year grant procedures, but the only time you'll get hold of anyone by phone in Donegal Co. Council re. grants is Tuesday and Wednesday mornings between 10 and 12 o clock. Be prepared to sit hitting the redial button, because the bl**dy thing is always engaged.

Noreen

Hi Donegalgirl28, I am in my 2ndyear in Nuig and I didn't get any confirmation of my grant for this year as I was told by Galway CoCo that I didn't need it. I just went to the grant collection area in Nuig yeaterday and my grant was there..
    may be different procedure where you are though:confused:

What about the registration fee though? Did you pay that? I haven't paid mine yet, It's €1585 I don't have. :(
    Noreen1 wrote: »
    Can't advise on second year grant procedures, but the only time you'll get hold of anyone by phone in Donegal Co. Council re. grants is Tuesday and Wednesday mornings between 10 and 12 o clock. Be prepared to sit hitting the redial button, because the bl**dy thing is always engaged.

Noreen

The weird thing is, last year I did everything through emails and got speedy responses. This year after posting out my results and the form at the start of August, I have emailed the same woman I was dealing with and to another person in the office with a scanned copy of the forms and the results. Still no word. Rang both of them several times and just got an answer machine. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone been turned down for a grant for their final year in college despite getting it for first 3 years? Income is exactly the same as last 3 yrs, wasnt working for summer and didnt win the lotto??!!!

So I was getting the top up grant and now nothing, not even the half one??? Baffling, will ring them tommorrow for explanation.....surely the cut off point for yearly income hasnt changed that much as I was normally well below it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

It must be complete chaos in that office. I moved home a couple of months ago. Before I sent in my application I rang up TWICE to double check I could apply as an independent mature student. I was told that was fine, it went by my circumtances last year. Didn't even need to put down my parents names. I just got a really rude call from Dublin City Council, saying I should have known better than to apply as an independent while living at home! She kept insisting on terms that were nowhere to be seen in any of the documents I read, and denied that anyone from the dept would have given me such advice. I'm so pissed off. If they had told me this before I handed in my application I caould have just sent all the forms in at once:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

To all in the Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown county council area, they said we should hear from them 6 - 8 weeks after the date we left our applications in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Are we talking about the Full Maintenance Grant here??

I don't understand how people got them in in July when forms weren't available until August - well not where I'm from anyway.

Does it actually go by where you are on the list? If so, that is ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from Dublin CC, can anyone tell me do you get correspondance from them if you're getting nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

What about the registration fee though? Did you pay that? I haven't paid mine yet, It's €1585 I don't have. :(

The weird thing is, last year I did everything through emails and got speedy responses. This year after posting out my results and the form at the start of August, I have emailed the same woman I was dealing with and to another person in the office with a scanned copy of the forms and the results. Still no word. Rang both of them several times and just got an answer machine. :mad:

Your in Trinity?

Im in the exact same position with meath co co, they wont give me the letter, bank wont give me an extension on the overdraft, parents dont have it. Im going in to the bank tmw to try and get a personal loan for it.

If you are in trinity, you shold really sort something out before friday, when I went to the fees office they said that friday the 16th is the latest you can register without being penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I think there are a couple of thousand extra applications this year, though!
    It does seem to be pretty chaotic - I had to send in 2 P60s, and 2 FE1s, or whatever you call the form you send in when you accept your college course. I haven't received any acknowledgement that they've received them, either - but I was smart enough to register them the second time.
    Don't bother with e-mail - I still haven't received an answer to one I sent about 7-8 weeks ago. Your only hope is the phone on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I'm afraid.
    On a brighter note, half the county councils have paid out the grants, so, hopefully it wont be too much longer.

Noreen

Trinty yes. I shall be going into the office tomorrow. Trying to get a letter from the Student Records office saying I got the grant last year, to temporary register, or else I'm gonna have to try and get the money somehow. Damn the raise in the registration fees, the extra 700 is proving very difficult to get, the 900 is manageable with a few sacrafices.

I shall keep trying to ring and get through to someone today. Thanks guys. It's so frustrating!

peanuthead wrote: »
    Are we talking about the Full Maintenance Grant here??

I don't understand how people got them in in July when forms weren't available until August - well not where I'm from anyway.

Does it actually go by where you are on the list? If so, that is ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from Dublin CC, can anyone tell me do you get correspondance from them if you're getting nothing?

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

anyone?
    Full maintenance grant depends on your earnings/circumstances etc.

I got forms the end of July.

Yes, you are put on a list and given a number I think, probably depends on the authority.

They will get back to you and tell you if you were successful or not.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    Full maintenance grant depends on your earnings/circumstances etc.

I got forms the end of July.

Yes, you are put on a list and given a number I think, probably depends on the authority.

They will get back to you and tell you if you were successful or not.

Well you see this is what I was wondering.

Does is depend on your circumstances?

Because technically, according to their cut off point, I shouldn't get a grant for them. the reason why I want my circumstances taken into account is:

1. I was working last year, I have ZERO income now, but no p45 (PGDE)
    2. I am independent but living at home. I do not get support from my father although they classify me that way.
    3. I was independent mature last year. But I was living with a friend and cannot prove I was there.
    4. My father has to support my brother in full time ed abroad (not recognised on form) and my sis who is in part time ed (also not recognised on the form)

When I say 'not recognised' I mean that you can't raise the cut off point unless you have additional family members who are in full time ed in the republic or at best in NI

anyone have any advice on what my chances may be?? or any past experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

anyone have any advice on what my chances may be?? or any past experiences?

I can't offer advice on this but is there much point frettin' about it? You've sent in your forms and its in their hands now. You either get something or you don't. If you don't get what you want, I believe you can appeal.

In the appeal you should point out the stuff you said is not recognised on the form. Although there is a notes section you could of possibly used for this.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Cork yet anybody???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Cork yet anybody???

Not a peep. Hoping to have something by the end of the week or next week going by the time scale they gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Not a peep. Hoping to have something by the end of the week or next week going by the time scale they gave me.
    Hope their time scale is better than Kildare - was told would have letter by the end of September at the latest, then was told at the begining of Oct it would be within one week - guess what - still waiting:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Trinty yes. I shall be going into the office tomorrow. Trying to get a letter from the Student Records office saying I got the grant last year, to temporary register, or else I'm gonna have to try and get the money somehow. Damn the raise in the registration fees, the extra 700 is proving very difficult to get, the 900 is manageable with a few sacrafices.

I shall keep trying to ring and get through to someone today. Thanks guys. It's so frustrating!

I was there today, talking to a very nice man. He told me to hold out until the last possible secind to pay the fees and register as he didn want me to pay it today and the tmw get the letter from the council meaning my paying was pointless.

I dont have the money really, I had 900 available in my overdraft, borrowed 300 from teh girlfriend, and 200 from my parents. Looks like next month I wont be going to college as I can afford to pay from teh train and my car insurance will run out and my car lown will go int arrears...
    god dam council...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Anybody in Dublin apply for the Dublin Port grant?

kenon wrote: »
    I can't offer advice on this but is there much point frettin' about it? You've sent in your forms and its in their hands now. You either get something or you don't. If you don't get what you want, I believe you can appeal.

In the appeal you should point out the stuff you said is not recognised on the form. Although there is a notes section you could of possibly used for this.

I did mention all this in the notes, I gave it my all on the form.

With all due respect, yes, there is a point in fretting about it for me. My fees are just under 6500. I should have paid half of that already but cant so I already owe another 100 or so on top of that. If I don't get the grant I may drop out cause I cant get a loan off dad and the banks wont touch me as I've nothing in the bank and no way of paying them back.

I cannot believe that I'm not entitled to BTEA because I bothered my hole to work the last 6 months. If I'd known...

anyway, here's hoping I'll hear soon, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

anyone hear back from Cavan?? they've asked me to send in a parents p21 and 3 letters from empolyers about wages....but hes selfemployed and i stated that!

Rang Cork today, they said ive "ommitted" a P60 and a P21 from the application process, which is complete bullsh*t as ive have photocopies of the originals which i sent in. They also told me they sent me a letter on september the second to inform me of this, but lone behold no letter arrived.
    Fu**king idiots !! I need that grant at the mo and this has undoubtedly slowed the process even longer.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rang Cork today, they said ive "ommitted" a P60 and a P21 from the application process, which is complete bullsh*t as ive have photocopies of the originals which i sent in. They also told me they sent me a letter on september the second to inform me of this, but lone behold no letter arrived.
    Fu**king idiots !! I need that grant at the mo and this has undoubtedly slowed the process even longer.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh my god that is terrible, but also not surprising in the least.

I think I'll call about mine tomorrow, this is likely to be something that would happen to me!!

It's awful that they cannot be careful with this documentation, I have the same anger towards the social welfare offices too. I don't care how busy they are, private legal documents are private legal documents and should be kept safe and ... PRIVATE.

God only knows where those documents are now. Its a disgrace. Not to mention the fact that it's inconvenient for you to locate them again AND the fact that they are in a very powerful position, ultimitely deciding who can and can't stay in college in some cases.

I have already planned a trip to my local TD for the October mid term. I am NOT HAPPY (Is it obvious!!??)

Davie - I hope you get it all sorted.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks, I totally agree with you, those where private documents and right now there probably sitting on some temporary employees desk at the grants office under a pile of random sheets. Its a ridiculous system they have in place and while I could fully understand (i'd still be a bit pi**ed) if they rang me and said look we've lost your documentation things are hectic at the moment with the increased number of applicants etc. could you sent it on again, this was not the case. The troglodyte whom i spoke with on the phone couldnt have been more than twenty years old and insisted that I has "ommitted" the documents myself,that it was indeed my fault andd that as a result my process would be slowed down becuase of MY mistake complete and utter rubbish!

Advertisement