Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Luring sugar starved teens to Chemistry with chocolate

How devious....

Overall it was an ok first day kept running around though so I didn't really get to meet any new people. Have to make that a goal for tomorrow

Went for Biology Chemistry and Maths in the end too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

celtic723 wrote: »
    Ahh right!! doubt we're missing much tbh. A few ****faced people trying their best to make friends with as many people as possible.

The way i see it is the people you make friends with during Freshers are those you'll probably never see again. There's 350 people in our Science Course, i'm sure there's a few friends in there :pac::pac::pac:

Doubt there'll be too many girls with green on anyway, don't want to look like sluts on the first night. :P I'll make my friends slowly by making witty off-the-cuff remarks relevant to particular situations as they occur. :pac:

Judging from how many people here are going for Biology I'm actually ****ting it now that it might be full. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Glad i ran into about 8 people from my school otherwise today would have been horrible.

You didn't miss much by avoiding the course meeting, although we got a good laugh from the chemistry lecturer.:pac::pac::pac: What a ledge!

Also the pink form! DO NOT LOSE THIS PINK FORM. IF YOU DO YOU DIE!!:o

I've picked Biology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1 & 2, Foundation Physics, Maths Methods. Anyone else the same?:)
    Exact ****in same! haha

Yeah. I was like 'oh god no...what are you doing??'

I also second Celtic723's q. on Foundation Physics! Any help appreciated!

amacachi wrote: »
    Doubt there'll be too many girls with green on anyway, don't want to look like sluts on the first night. :P I'll make my friends slowly by making witty off-the-cuff remarks relevant to particular situations as they occur. :pac:

Judging from how many people here are going for Biology I'm actually ****ting it now that it might be full. :S

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The biology course is for natural sciences and health sciences so they'll have to accommodate everyone.

The reason I'm avoiding the traffic light ball most of the guys I know decided to wear orange so not to appear as "horny bastards" made everything way too politcial :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Jammyc wrote: »
    Exact ****in same! haha

Yeah. I was like 'oh god no...what are you doing??'

:pac::pac::pac: In fairness it was cringeworthy but it was one of those cringeworthy moments that was quite funny at the same time.

Dunno how people found the Maths guy funny. Thought he was as bland as they come.

How'd you get on today Jammyc? What modules you choose in the end?

• Advertisement

Craguls wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. The biology course is for natural sciences and health sciences so they'll have to accommodate everyone.

The reason I'm avoiding the traffic light ball most of the guys I know decided to wear orange so not to appear as "horny bastards" made everything way too politcial :rolleyes:

Aye, the girls will be wearing orange to not seem slutty/desperate and the guys so as not to seem creepy/desperate. I wish people would just cop on and the hot people pick the hot people and leave me and the ugly girls to work things out. :P

Just in case someone else stumbles in here the times we can see the tutor Hennessey would be very much appreciated.

I dunno about your first point mate. I'm sure there's loads of randy women in green:D......ye i'm the same with regards to friends. Takes me a while to come out of myself but when drinks involved it happens instantaneously not always by my say so.

With regards to the Biology places you'll defo get in. As Craguls said they must accomodate everyone as all the Life Sciences require Biology. Chillax it will be grand.:cool:

:pac::pac::pac: In fairness it was cringeworthy but it was one of those cringeworthy moments that was quite funny at the same time.

Dunno how people found the Maths guy funny. Thought he was as bland as they come.

How'd you get on today Jammyc? What modules you choose in the end?
    Very same ones as yourself! With no disrespect intended, I wanted to avoid Geology/Geog at all costs and really was sobered up about taking full maths, not a chance.
    Got chattin to some cool people and spent the day chillin with em. All in all a fairly good day. Had me first Pav pint too. I felt really bad for the maths lecturer, he seemed so nervous or something blessim!
    Seats in the MacNeil are not comfortable, thank god were not timetabled in for there!

How about yourself? Go to many events? Its really hard to spot the boardsie. I just cant put usernames to faces!:pac:

I dunno about your first point mate. I'm sure there's loads of randy women in green:D......ye i'm the same with regards to friends. Takes me a while to come out of myself but when drinks involved it happens instantaneously not always by my say so.

With regards to the Biology places you'll defo get in. As Craguls said they must accomodate everyone as all the Life Sciences require Biology. Chillax it will be grand.:cool:

Don't worry, I'm not panicking, I'm not the panicking kind, just starting to watch all of Breaking Bad again. <3 Unfortunately I'm almost out of TV shows to watch other than new episodes coming up, starting to look like I might have to actually do something in college to keep from being too bored.

How about yourself? Go to many events? Its really hard to spot the boardsie. I just cant put usernames to faces!:pac:

I know what you mean every time I saw someone I was like hmmm... jammyc, celtic... I'll probably hit the pav tomorrow actually oh need to get a ticket for the disco too

• Advertisement

Don't worry, I'm not panicking, I'm not the panicking kind, just starting to watch all of Breaking Bad again. <3 Unfortunately I'm almost out of TV shows to watch other than new episodes coming up, starting to look like I might have to actually do something in college to keep from being too bored.

New series of House starts in America tonight :D

Very same ones as yourself! With no disrespect intended, I wanted to avoid Geology/Geog at all costs and really was sobered up about taking full maths, not a chance.
    Got chattin to some cool people and spent the day chillin with em. All in all a fairly good day. Had me first Pav pint too. I felt really bad for the maths lecturer, he seemed so nervous or something blessim!
    Seats in the MacNeil are not comfortable, thank god were not timetabled in for there!

Ye should all recognise me handy enough, 6 foot 2 and 21 stone. :P Don't think there's any need to mention hair colour on top of that. :pac:

New series of House starts in America tonight :D

Never really got into House, though I haven't really tried. The odd time I've seen it he reminds me of me, except he's successful, which I hate. :P

I'm sure i'll see you around. Might take me a while walking around shouting ''Jammyc, Jammyc'' where art thou Jammyc?''

Yes i'd totally agree with the Geology/Geography point of view. Was keen on Geography before i got in but had a wake up call when i saw the slideshow and the content!

Good to see you got around! Ye the maths guy was nervous, but still in no way funny imo. RE: The seats, they are terrible, and as you said we're blessed not to be timetabled in there.

I was here there and everywhere tbh. Was up in the Hist for a good while, down around all the societies, rugby ground, etc. Very nice atmosphere about the place i must say. Let's hope that continues.

Yeah there was a great atmosphere about the place. Anyone join the chemical society? A friend of mine felt bad for them because they'd very few new members

Yeah there was a great atmosphere about the place. Anyone join the chemical society? A friend of mine felt bad for them because they'd very few new members

Thought someone would never mention it! Didn't want to blow my own trumpet by saying i'm member numero uno.:cool:

The paintball they organise sounds great as too does the footie tournaments, Christmas Party, and Tag Rugby.

The guys there also said that if you do Chemistry they'd be hounding you to join. Baring that in mind i coughed up the 2 euro.:)

Thought someone would never mention it! Didn't want to blow my own trumpet by saying i'm member numero uno.:cool:

The paintball they organise sounds great as too does the footie tournaments, Christmas Party, and Tag Rugby.

The guys there also said that if you do Chemistry they'd be hounding you to join. Baring that in mind i coughed up the 2 euro.:)

Figured I'd join them tomorrow. As you said the stuff they do seems pretty cool, they organise good grinds too I hear.

Hmm, I think Ill join the chemsoc now, cos I really do see myself struggling with chemistry.

As regards boardsies, I can just imagine being in a computer lab someday and one of ye posts something hilarious and seconds later on the oppositte side of the room I crack up laughin. And so the boardsies shall be known.

Also, Boo-urns to not getting registered till Friday! I wanna have a good wander with all the magical places that my student card takes me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Ye i'll make sure it doesn't build up! What's Foundation Physics like and also what's Math Methods like?

Having never done Physics before I struggled but got through it in the end. Hated the labs though. You do a group project aswell which is worth 10% and your labs are worth 30%.

As for the Maths, it's doable. I only did OL in the leaving, it was a step up but not too much. The calculus is difficult but the Linear + Probability stuff was easy enough (got me through the exam).

Also, Boo-urns to not getting registered till Friday! I wanna have a good wander with all the magical places that my student card takes me!

Apparently almost everywhere, even the roofs of some buildings I hear.

But true I hate the way we don't have the tcd email either. I feel like such a tool joining socs with the email account I set up when I was 14.....

• Advertisement

Oh noes!:eek: Maths Methods is timetabled to be in MacNeil 3 times during the week! Also, once in a chemistry lecture theatre and once in the arts building for some reason!:mad:

Ooh! Aswell, does anyone know when we find out when tutorials are timetabled in and all that!?

Apparently almost everywhere, even the roofs of some buildings I hear.

But true I hate the way we don't have the tcd email either. I feel like such a tool joining socs with the email account I set up when I was 14.....

The email address i used was from when i was like 14 as well and by God did i feel like a spa writing it down every fooking time.

I think everything so far is provisional based on how many people take X Y and Z.

I think we'll know our final timetable when we get our student cards and login details on Friday.

Labs are supposed to be random but easy to switch if you can find someone willing

The email address i used was from when i was like 14 as well and by God did i feel like a spa writing it down every fooking time.
    I thought it was much worse when they just asked you and you had to say it out. I was like ehhh..

The fact I was reassured they've heard worse/weirder was rather worrying actually

Having never done Physics before I struggled but got through it in the end. Hated the labs though. You do a group project aswell which is worth 10% and your labs are worth 30%.

As for the Maths, it's doable. I only did OL in the leaving, it was a step up but not too much. The calculus is difficult but the Linear + Probability stuff was easy enough (got me through the exam).

Glad to hear you got through it !

I done Physics for the Leaving so by choosing foundation Physics i should be sorted enough with a little bit of hard work.

Not bad regarding Maths. I absolutely hate it but i need to do it in order to follow a path i like. Don't tell me probability is a requirement because i can't understand it whatsoever. I rather Linear programming and that's why i omitted the Probability question in my Leaving Cert.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Anyone got a timetable handy?

I thought it was much worse when they just asked you and you had to say it out. I was like ehhh..

:pac::pac: for the Hist sign-up i took the Laptop off your man and typed it in myself. No way was i saying my email address out loud for the simple reason that it's actually so stupid but at the time was the only one that bloody worked :mad:

Did you get any funny looks?:pac::pac:

The fact I was reassured they've heard worse/weirder was rather worrying actually

hahaha. I wasn't told that. I presume i'm one of the worse/weirder ones.:(

• Advertisement

Anyone got a timetable handy?
    Sorry, no scanner. I could type it if you like, but Im sure someone would have it up before Ive finished.

Unless of course one of the lovely people with usernames and passowords wants to log in and grab it for us :
    here

Advertisement