Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

amacachi wrote: »
    Anyone else doing the Chemistry thing before freshers week?
    Yepyep. Heard mixed reviews but tbh, im not gona miss the 30 euro, havent done any chemistry before and need something to do. Yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Jammyc wrote: »
    Yepyep. Heard mixed reviews but tbh, im not gona miss the 30 euro, havent done any chemistry before and need something to do. Yourself?

Chemistry isn't too difficult if you get on top of yourself. Having said that you need to be graced with a brilliant teacher to do the best you can.

Fantastic subject mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Once it's got some basics then I'll get something out of it, it can tend to come into other subjects now and then. Didn't do Chemistry for the LC and it's 5 years since I did the JC so I'm pretty out of the loop. Also I think it'd be good to meet a few people before the whole place is packed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

There's two different maths modules you can take.

There's the full maths which is worth 20 credits that you do for the full year. It's quite difficult. I tried it for the 1st couple of weeks but couldn't hack it. (I did OL in the LC). I also know some people who did quite well in HL that struggled.

Then there's Maths Methods which is worth 10 credits and you only do it for half the year. It'd be harder than OL for the LC imo but it's doable certainly. Mainly calculus, matrices and probability iirc. This is what I did in the end and took up Foundation Physics for the 2nd semester to make up the credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

There's the full maths which is worth 20 credits that you do for the full year. It's quite difficult. I tried it for the 1st couple of weeks but couldn't hack it. (I did OL in the LC). I also know some people who did quite well in HL that struggled.

So does anyone have any comparisons to make about the standard of the full maths course?
    Is it much harder than the leaving cert, or is it that you're required to understand the theory behind everything as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

the full maths course isnt as hard as leaving cert higher level just a bit different. the exams were preety straight forward and were just tutorial questions slightly changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

fungie wrote: »
    the full maths course isnt as hard as leaving cert higher level just a bit different. the exams were preety straight forward and were just tutorial questions slightly changed.

I'll second that. Once you can stay on top of all the tutorials you'll fly through maths

So how much are labcoats and disection coats? and do we have to gettem first week/at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I think lab coats are around €30 (open for correction) from the SU shop. Can't remember how much disection kits were. You'll also need lab glasses for Chemistry.

The labs won't be on until the end of your 1st week of lectures (if it's the same as last year) so there'll be plenty of time to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mellowsh

So how much are labcoats and disection coats? and do we have to gettem first week/at all?

30euro for a labcoat sounds about right, far as I remember dissection kits are about 18?? And yeah labs won't start until they sort you into groups, so you'll have plenty of time to find everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Hey, in regards lab coats and dissection kits, I read somewhere (possibly this thread) that they're cheaper in Clarendon medical bookstore on Clarendon St. (Duh! :o:p). Is this true or not?
    Thanks again to anyone who answers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Were the dissection kits not 7euro?! The safety glasses were a fiver for a pair if you dont wear regular glasses.

If you wear regular glasses the safety specs cost 2euro. These were last years prices anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

I'm assuming that the dissection kits are for bio, is there anything I need for phy/maths/chemistry???? Is the fx-83 Es calculator good enough????

Alexl wrote: »
    I'm assuming that the dissection kits are for bio, is there anything I need for phy/maths/chemistry???? Is the fx-83 Es calculator good enough????

Ye they're for bio and you dont use them straight away anyway..

The labcoat is for all labs and you wont get into a chem lab without safety specs.

For the labs you have to buy specific lab books(for bio and chem anyway)..I dont think you anything special except for a lab coat for physics labs although I could be proven wrong

Ye that calculator is grand I use that one dont go buying a new one..

What will we be covering in the first few weeks with regards to Bio and Chem, would anyone be able to tell me?

celtic723 wrote: »
    What will we be covering in the first few weeks with regards to Bio and Chem, would anyone be able to tell me?

Bio-Basically getting used to some of the equipment and then I think protein purification.

Chem-Titrations and stuff not much more difficult then LC.

Worry about the lecture material rather than lab work..although theres no need to worry about much at all...

Bajingo wrote: »
    Bio-Basically getting used to some of the equipment and then I think protein purification.

Chem-Titrations and stuff not much more difficult then LC.

Worry about the lecture material rather than lab work..although theres no need to worry about much at all...

cheers for the heads up mate. Greatly appreciated.

Lookin' forward to this now!

Just a quick question, everyone keeps saying not to buy textbooks etc, but if you have a bit of money and you'd like to buy textbooks for this course, are there any people would recommend (In particularly for biology, maths and chemistry). :)

Sugarglass wrote: »
    Just a quick question, everyone keeps saying not to buy textbooks etc, but if you have a bit of money and you'd like to buy textbooks for this course, is there any people would recommend (In particularly for biology, maths and chemistry). :)

and physics please

• Advertisement

You don't need lab coats for physics. It makes it very easy to spot the people who do physics in Chemistry labs, as they're the ones with the shiney white lab coats that are barely used. It was mid second year by the time mine looked like your typical filthy lab coat =P or maybe I'm just very careful.

Don't go rushing out to buy books, it's not worth your time at the moment, a text book for physics people will be bought for you in first year regardless. I never used it anyway but it's nice to have. Lecturers will mention books, have a gander at them in the library before you buy. They're expensive and not worth the money if you'll only open them once or twice. I have a big pile of first year books on my shelf I never used, but I picked up second hand older additions pretty cheaply. I think if I'd have coughed up the full amount I'd be pretty pissed at myself right now.

I have a big pile of first year books on my shelf I never used, but I picked up second hand older additions pretty cheaply. I think if I'd have coughed up the full amount I'd be pretty pissed at myself right now.
    You selling??

You don't need lab coats for physics. It makes it very easy to spot the people who do physics in Chemistry labs, as they're the ones with the shiney white lab coats that are barely used. It was mid second year by the time mine looked like your typical filthy lab coat =P or maybe I'm just very careful.

Don't go rushing out to buy books, it's not worth your time at the moment, a text book for physics people will be bought for you in first year regardless. I never used it anyway but it's nice to have. Lecturers will mention books, have a gander at them in the library before you buy. They're expensive and not worth the money if you'll only open them once or twice. I have a big pile of first year books on my shelf I never used, but I picked up second hand older additions pretty cheaply. I think if I'd have coughed up the full amount I'd be pretty pissed at myself right now.

Ye if you have your heart set on buying books wait until you're told about the recommended textds and check them out first and its better if ya can get them secind hand.

Aww I got my lab coat washed a few times but I had some cool designs on it that I didnt want looking dirty ya know:P

And whats the story with buying old versions of books? Its not entirely detremental is it?

And whats the story with buying old versions of books? Its not entirely detremental is it?

Its frowned apon...

Make sure they're not too out of date although they would be it's usually just a different layout..ask your lecturer if its ok first..I mean people were using 5th and 6th edition books when the new ones were 9th..so it's not a big deal..the lecturers are'nt buying new ones every year.

There's no point in buying from me :P the books I have are getting laughably old right now. If you're feeling that nervy about it but still want to get cheap books try to pick up ones that are no more than one or two editions behind the most recent.
    Bajingo wrote: »
    Its frowned apon...

Make sure they're not too out of date although they would be it's usually just a different layout..ask your lecturer if its ok first..I mean people were using 5th and 6th edition books when the new ones were 9th..so it's not a big deal..the lecturers are'nt buying new ones every year.

I'd disagree that it's frowned upon. The layouts and content don't exactly get a massive overhaul every year. I ran into problems once where I lecturer insisted on taking tutorial questions from the book and the edition I had was missing certain sections and had questions in a different order. I just photocopied missing bits from the library's book or from somebody elses. Yes it was an extra hassle but hardly the end of the world, and that was only with one lecture for a couple of weeks in the year.

There's no point in buying from me :P the books I have are getting laughably old right now. If you're feeling that nervy about it but still want to get cheap books try to pick up ones that are no more than one or two editions behind the most recent.

I'd disagree that it's frowned upon. The layouts and content don't exactly get a massive overhaul every year. I ran into problems once where I lecturer insisted on taking tutorial questions from the book and the edition I had was missing certain sections and had questions in a different order. I just photocopied missing bits from the library's book or from somebody elses. Yes it was an extra hassle but hardly the end of the world, and that was only with one lecture for a couple of weeks in the year.

I was totally joking no one is going to care what edition or hand you buy your books in..im buying second hand this year if I buy at all.

My bad... Sarcasm detector must be broken :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

My bad... Sarcasm detector must be broken :pac:
    I think there's a new edition of it out

• Advertisement

How many Chemistry labs are there per week in first year? I'd thought there was only one but on the timetable there are 5 or something. Do we choose one or are you assigned one. Is there anyway you can change it if it doesn't suit you?

Advertisement