Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options
1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Kotz is sh*t, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone going into SF unless you are really behind from JF material.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

Hi just wondering has anyone any info on changing labs in senior freshman year, is it simply a matter of finding someone in the other lab to swap with or is there more to it. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

1sparkey wrote: »
    Hi just wondering has anyone any info on changing labs in senior freshman year, is it simply a matter of finding someone in the other lab to swap with or is there more to it. Thanks in advance

Going into/emailing the Science Course Office is the only way to change. Informal things like tutorials can be changed by just turning up, but labs are attendance marked with "capacity issues" and "safety concerns".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

1sparkey wrote: »

I remember two guys in my year switched SF physics labs by just going to the first one and asking, but I'd just ask the science course office to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

Hi have any JF science people got their timetables on mytcd.ie? Mine is still blank... I know that we can look at them via the science handbook but it would be nice to know which labs we have been assigned to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Justice! wrote: »
    Hi have any JF science people got their timetables on mytcd.ie? Mine is still blank... I know that we can look at them via the science handbook but it would be nice to know which labs we have been assigned to.

Labs aren't normally assigned until the end of the first week/start of the second week. Lists are normally available outside of the Science Course Office when they are assigned. You'll only have lectures next week at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Justice! wrote: »
    You wont get your timetable until all the module choice forms are processed which takes a while as there's literally hundreds to get through. I know its a pain not knowing, but as soon as the labs are sorted they'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shoegazing

Hi there, I'm a first year trying to source books at the moment and was wondering is there a big difference between the different editions? Is it worth investing in the most up to date edition or will a slightly older one do the same job?
    Thanks.

Absolutely no need to get the newest version, in most cases books from the 70s will do the same job in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Shoegazing wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm a first year trying to source books at the moment and was wondering is there a big difference between the different editions? Is it worth investing in the most up to date edition or will a slightly older one do the same job?
    Thanks.

I still have the books mentioned above if you are doing Chemistry?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I was excused from a lab because i had another commitment, can anyone tell me if i must still do the lab report ?

Depends what subject

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Depends what subject

Physics lab ?

In SF physics experiments take several weeks, so you would definitely have to hand in your report. For JF, I'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Hey guys - I was wondering - I was told to specifically use a college/academic tutor as a reference but the thing is I don't really know the person who was allocated to me in First year... I'm aware some moderatorships give students a tutor within the faculty - but afaik not with what I'm studying.

Have any of you guys used your academic tutor as a reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Worrying a little about getting my chosen moderatorship. I passed all of my exams but I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, and from what I can tell my first choice is quite popular. I know it varies from year to year and nobody can tell me exactly, but has anyone gotten into a popular moderatorship before with a 2.2? I got 59 overall so extremely close to the 2.1 but not quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I know people who have gotten into popular moderatorships with worse marks, your percentage matters so the fact its a high 2.2 will obviously count. They also take into account marks in relevant subjects, so say if you're going for genetics and you did better in that exam than someone else with 59% you'll get preference. You'll also get preference for your first choice over someone with the same result who had that moderatorship lower down on their list.

You've got a pretty good result there, I wouldn't rule you out of anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Got my first choice in the end, delighted! :)

Advertisement