Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Sugarglass wrote: »
    How many Chemistry labs are there per week in first year? I'd thought there was only one but on the timetable there are 5 or something. Do we choose one or are you assigned one. Is there anyway you can change it if it doesn't suit you?

You have one 3hour lab in Chem per week. You're assigned one of those 5 slots that fits into your timetable of lectures. You can request to move and in most cases it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

What's the deal with the new structure for the Senior Freshman year of the science course. Now there's only one Biology course and you can only do 5 out of 10 modules. Id intended to do Biology, Maths and Chemistry in first year and then drop the Maths in second year and focus mainly on Biology (my favourite) and Chemistry. Now I have to continue Maths and can't do as much Biology as I wanted :mad:.

Anyone else annoyed or have any thoughts on this :confused:?

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hey sugarglass I'm in the same boat as yourself even subject wise! :p

I think you can pick as many as you like but each one is 5 credits each so I'm planning on doing 8 with the two chem's and dropping maths.
    This way it's like bio1 and bio2 from the old system but a little bit more flexible

It suits me fine actually, I'm gonna ditch ecology and bioresources since I want either neuroscience or molecular medicine

Craguls wrote: »

I think you can pick as many as you like but each one is 5 credits each so I'm planning on doing 8 with the two chem's and dropping maths.
    This way it's like bio1 and bio2 from the old system but a little bit more flexible

It suits me fine actually, I'm gonna ditch ecology and bioresources since I want either neuroscience or molecular medicine

Are you sure you can do that, the impression I got from the prospectus is that you had to do 3 different subjects. I'd love to just do chem and biology I just wasn't sure if this was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Craguls wrote: »

I'm starting SF now and this is what I'm doing so you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Are you sure you can do that, the impression I got from the prospectus is that you had to do 3 different subjects. I'd love to just do chem and biology I just wasn't sure if this was possible.
    I'm starting SF now and this is what I'm doing so you'll be grand.

Cheers Glasnevin Red, it seems the new system is designed to be more flexible.

In the past say if someone wanted neuroscience they'd have to take biology 1 and biology 2 which used up 40 of their credits and limited their options alot. The new way takes the BESS approach of letting you keep as many or as few options open for as long as you like.
    It kinda removes a degree of responsibility from the faculty by saying it's your call do what you like

Yeah I've just found the thing in the college calendar about doing 8 out of the ten modules. Now I can calm down. I was completely freaking out :eek: for a second. Thanks very much for the help :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

How can you do eight of the ten modules when it clearly states that you have to do certain things such as maths and maths methods in order to pursue the Neuroscience path and the like.:confused:

I'm sure all will become clear tomorrow.My plan is to forget about it as i'm already dreading going in as it is.

You have to do either Maths or Maths Methods in first year but you can drop it after that.

You have to do either Maths or Maths Methods in first year but you can drop it after that.

For someone who only got a B1 in Ordinary Level maths, which is the easiest option as i despise maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Wait, is any of this 8/10 modules stuff relevant for tomorrow??
    I thought it was just Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, Maths Methods, Geology, Geog. with no options in each?

Jammyc wrote: »
    Wait, is any of this 8/10 modules stuff relevant for tomorrow??
    I thought it was just Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, Maths Methods, Geology, Geog. with no options in each?

Yeah the 8/10 thing is for the senior freshman year, :o sorry if I freaked anybody out, I was just wondering about the SF choices as it may have affected my choices for first year. Everybody calm down :D:P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wasn't at the meeting thing today, did I miss anything interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

amacachi wrote: »
    Wasn't at the meeting thing today, did I miss anything interesting?

Just curious what was the meeting for?

"Course meeting". Not a clue what it was about.

"Course meeting". Not a clue what it was about.

I missed all my fresher week meetings last year..ya shud be ok but if you can find out what ya missed and dont miss your mentor meeting what ever ya do!

Not much help sorry.

Bajingo wrote: »
    I missed all my fresher week meetings last year..ya shud be ok but if you can find out what ya missed and dont miss your mentor meeting what ever ya do!

Not much help sorry.

I think I might've already missed the mentor meeting. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ehh, we picked what classes we're doing and were given a document without which we cant register. Also filled in a health and safety form. Im fairly sure it was a mandatory meeting.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Ehh, we picked what classes we're doing and were given a document without which we cant register. Also filled in a health and safety form. Im fairly sure it was a mandatory meeting.

Oh that meeting...ye you actually did need to go to that meeting you should go to your tutor about it it's really important..and no ya didnt miss the mentoring that's on wednesday.

I also lost the letter we got with what times we should try to meet the tutor at, anyone got the times handy? Might not be the same tutor for everyone, think mine is something Hennessey.

Off to a good start so far then. :P

• Advertisement

Glad i ran into about 8 people from my school otherwise today would have been horrible.

You didn't miss much by avoiding the course meeting, although we got a good laugh from the chemistry lecturer.:pac::pac::pac: What a ledge!

Also the pink form! DO NOT LOSE THIS PINK FORM. IF YOU DO YOU DIE!!:o

I've picked Biology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1 & 2, Foundation Physics, Maths Methods. Anyone else the same?:)

celtic723 wrote: »
    Glad i ran into about 8 people from my school otherwise today would have been horrible.

You didn't miss much by avoiding the course meeting, although we got a good laugh from the chemistry lecturer.:pac::pac::pac: What a ledge!

Also the pink form! DO NOT LOSE THIS PINK FORM. IF YOU DO YOU DIE!!:o

I've picked Biology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1 & 2, Foundation Physics, Maths Methods. Anyone else the same?:)

I'll be doing Biology and Maths Methods I'd say, haven't really made up my mind past that. Could easily do full maths but I'd like to give myself the extra option as well as do the easier maths course. :P

I'll be doing Biology and Maths Methods I'd say, haven't really made up my mind past that. Could easily do full maths but I'd like to give myself the extra option as well as do the easier maths course. :P

If you're capable of doing the maths then do it. You might as well as then that makes up 20 credits.

If you do Maths Methods you're gonna have to do another module in order to get up to the 20 credit equivalent.

What other module were you looking at? Chemistry?:D

If you're capable of doing the maths then do it. You might as well as then that makes up 20 credits.

If you do Maths Methods you're gonna have to do another module in order to get up to the 20 credit equivalent.

What other module were you looking at? Chemistry?:D

Aye but I'd like to leave more options open, maybe either Geology or Geography.

Won't be doing Chemistry, 5 years since the JC and haven't done chemistry since, so **** that. :P

Aye but I'd like to leave more options open, maybe either Geology or Geography.

Won't be doing Chemistry, 5 years since the JC and haven't done chemistry since, so **** that. :P

:pac::pac::pac: better stick to the rocks then! Although Chemistry is hard if you don't want to do you're better off steering well clear.

You not out tonight for that traffic light ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

aw damn,i missed the course meeting?!Just found out i have to repeat first year:(,so i probably should have gone to that,start this year off on a good note. What's going on later in the week for us scientists??:confused:

:pac::pac::pac: better stick to the rocks then! Although Chemistry is hard if you don't want to do you're better off steering well clear.

You not out tonight for that traffic light ****e?

Nah, I live 50 miles away like. :P Have a mate I could stay over with but I don't want to be doing that on the very first night. There's a logical reason in my mind and it makes sense to me. :P Probably just head out Thursday, glowsticks and facepaint sound very appealing depending on circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I've picked Biology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1 & 2, Foundation Physics, Maths Methods. Anyone else the same?

Did that last year myself. Grand enough if you don't let the work build up like I did.

although we got a good laugh from the chemistry lecturer.:pac::pac::pac: What a ledge!

Sylvia Draper was it?? She gave the talk last year and was hilarious. Used chocolate to get her point across.:D

Only had her for about 2 weeks of lectures though.:pac:

Nah, I live 50 miles away like. :P Have a mate I could stay over with but I don't want to be doing that on the very first night. There's a logical reason in my mind and it makes sense to me. :P Probably just head out Thursday, glowsticks and facepaint sound very appealing depending on circumstances.

Ahh right!! doubt we're missing much tbh. A few ****faced people trying their best to make friends with as many people as possible.

The way i see it is the people you make friends with during Freshers are those you'll probably never see again. There's 350 people in our Science Course, i'm sure there's a few friends in there :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Did that last year myself. Grand enough if you don't let the work build up like I did.

Ye i'll make sure it doesn't build up! What's Foundation Physics like and also what's Math Methods like?

Sylvia Draper was it?? She gave the talk last year and was hilarious. Used chocolate to get her point across.:D

Only had her for about 2 weeks of lectures though.:pac:

Aye that's her! Be great if she was my lecturer coz she's hilarious. I was wondering what she was doing with the celebration box but i soon copped it as she made it very clear.:pac::pac:

Genius i have to say.

Advertisement