Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Fringe wrote: »
    I'm gonna wear my lab coat and safety goggles all the time.
    Piste wrote: »
    How often do you get to wear your lab coats?
    Im gonna wear mine on the DART on the way in each day! :cool:

I know theres a lot of 'I have X points..' but Im actually worrying now! Ive got 460, can anyone assuage my fears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I'm mad keen on this course,(:pac:I'm a bit of a Trinner head, lyke) I'd say I'll be lucky to get in in the second round of offers, first round were like 480 last year!! (Saw that in the Irish Times a few days ago)

If I'd don't I'd wanna do Physics with Astonomy and Space Science in UCD:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Im sorry but where are people getting the 480 and stuff from?
    Anywhere Ive looked its said 415/430ish. Stop freaking me out!!

2008 2008
    ROUND 1 ROUND 2
    TRINITY COLLEGE DUBLIN

TR071 Science 415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

480 was the average intake last year guys you'll all be fine!

That said I'm really getting into the idea of science here now, it's my 3rd choice but was my 1st initially.
    Then Human Health and Disease came along...

Although I'm no longer very optimistic about that now since the HPAT drew alot more interest to medical science

Bajingo wrote: »
    If you actually like chem and bio do them..if you're thinking of not doing this modules because you're afraid they will be hard..do them anyway..you're going to find all hard more than likely so just pick what you think you will like. If you end up not liking the module just quick it and pick another.

I actually love chem and bio; would you consider the labs and lectures to be particularly difficult?

I was good at both of them at school; organic chem was my best section and I found human biology and genetics to be a breeze (Sorry if that comes across as strange I was always told these were the hardest ones)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Craguls wrote: »
    I actually love chem and bio; would you consider the labs and lectures to be particularly difficult?

I was good at both of them at school; organic chem was my best section and I found human biology and genetics to be a breeze (Sorry if that comes across as strange I was always told these were the hardest ones)

I wouldnt say bio and chem are difficult it is just the amount of stuff you have to learn but it just requires work to keep up with what they cover in lectures.

With regards to labs they're not that bad you get a lot of help from the demonstrators. In chem semester 1 everything is basically a titration it isnt very taxing.

If you like organic chem you'll like the course especially if you get the young(compared to the rest) red headed lecturer he's a legend and will always help you out if ya get stuck.

Human biology isnt on the first year course as such..if you mean physiology that begins in second year unless something has chamged. If you found genetics a breeze I think you will like that part of the course..it's tough but it is interesting and im saying as a hater of genetics when I did the LC.

I wouldnt say bio and chem are difficult it is just the amount of stuff you have to learn but it just requires work to keep up with what they cover in lectures.

With regards to labs they're not that bad you get a lot of help from the demonstrators. In chem semester 1 everything is basically a titration it isnt very taxing.

If you like organic chem you'll like the course especially if you get the young(compared to the rest) red headed lecturer he's a legend and will always help you out if ya get stuck.

Human biology isnt on the first year course as such..if you mean physiology that begins in second year unless something has chamged. If you found genetics a breeze I think you will like that part of the course..it's tough but it is interesting and im saying as a hater of genetics when I did the LC.

Ah lovely, thanks! Sorry to bug you again but what would the bio labs consist of? And would anything else fall into chem labs aside from organic preparations and titrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Ah lovely, thanks! Sorry to bug you again but what would the bio labs consist of? And would anything else fall into chem labs aside from organic preparations and titrations?

No worries mate..I remember the first few bio expriments to be a bit tricky just because there was a lot of tubes to label..it involved purifying a protein..in the bio labs we had to grow different types of micro-organisms, typical microscopy work,dissections and measuring evaporation and transporation in plants.

Not very interesting but not very hard either.

Organic preparations are fine but you will have to write a report on them after.

For semester 1 if you're not doing a titration of some sort you could be doing tests for halogens and ions..there was one really horrible experiment I found I cant remember what it was about fully but it involved iodate ions..look out for it anyway you might find it easy.

Also, I dont know how many new freshers will know but you will get a mentor(1 mentor gets 15 students) who is there to help you out and answer questions..if boards.ie fails to help I mean.

No worries mate..I remember the first few bio expriments to be a bit tricky just because there was a lot of tubes to label..it involved purifying a protein..in the bio labs we had to grow different types of micro-organisms, typical microscopy work,dissections and measuring evaporation and transporation in plants.

Not very interesting but not very hard either.

Organic preparations are fine but you will have to write a report on them after.

For semester 1 if you're not doing a titration of some sort you could be doing tests for halogens and ions..there was one really horrible experiment I found I cant remember what it was about fully but it involved iodate ions..look out for it anyway you might find it easy.

Also, I dont know how many new freshers will know but you will get a mentor(1 mentor gets 15 students) who is there to help you out and answer questions..if boards.ie fails to help I mean.

Ok that's me sorted! Maths Chem Bio it is! Thanks a million for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm thinking of chemistry,physics....and something else. I have no idea what else,though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Hopefully 465 will get me in.

What's everyone thinking of taking? I definitely want Biology. I didn't do physics for the Leaving Cert, but I kind of want to do it now. Is that stupid, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

depends the physics would be hard enough starting from scratch but not impossible, the labwork and assignments are worth alot and are handy. if you find it hard there is plenty of people there to help.

I've decided this morning to go with

Chemistry Biology Maths in first year
    and Chemistry and biology in second year

That way I'm open to Molecular Medicine Neuroscience and the Biochemistries

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

I'm thinking of chemistry,physics....and something else. I have no idea what else,though.

Unless you're referring to Foundation Physics or whatever it's called now you need to take Physics with Maths. That's the year long Maths course, not the single semester course.

Unless you're referring to Foundation Physics or whatever it's called now you need to take Physics with Maths. That's the year long Maths course, not the single semester course.

Ah. The Maths might be too hard for me then.

EDIT: I love Maths. I'll do it anyway.

Looks like I'll be taking Biology,Physics and Mathematics then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

http://www.science.tcd.ie/undergraduate/jf/

I think some people could benefit from looking at the above link to prevent any nasty suprises when it comes to picking your subjects.

If you want to do physics you must take maths for the whole year. The year long maths course is more or less and extension on leaving cert higher leve albeit taught very differently. Further to this if you want to do Physics in second year, you still need to keep doing maths.

Biology splits into two seperate subjects in second year, Bio 1 and Bio 2. I can't find any info online at the moment but I think it still stands that Bio 2 students cannot do maths in second year.

For people doing physics the most common subject combination is Physics, Chemistry, Maths or Physics Geog/Geol and Maths. Taking Physics, Bio, Maths leads to problems in second year. I've known of one person taking Bio, Maths and Physics in first year and come second year they were required to take up Geology. It's completely possible and not a problem. If you really are split 50/50 between bio and physics, it might be your best option.

Assuming everyone here who wants it gets Science you get to have a nice little chat with a lecturer before you choose your subjects so they'll walk you through all your options. That doesn't change the fact that there's around ~350 students split between about 7 or 8 lecturers. It'll help things run more smoothly if you get what you want clear in your head before you head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

480 was the average intake last year guys you'll all be fine!

That said I'm really getting into the idea of science here now, it's my 3rd choice but was my 1st initially.
    Then Human Health and Disease came along...

Although I'm no longer very optimistic about that now since the HPAT drew alot more interest to medical science

Omg Human Health and Disease, seeya there! I'm really looking forward to it now, so much so that a part of me kinda doesn't want medicine anyway.

Piste wrote: »
    Omg Human Health and Disease, seeya there! I'm really looking forward to it now, so much so that a part of me kinda doesn't want medicine anyway.

As much as I'd love it I don't think I'm going to make the cut for Human Health and Disease! (Only managed 490)

But then again the CAO could have a surprise in store for me! The same courses in NUIG and UCD fell to 485 last year

Thanks Killer Couch. I'll have to do some thinking about it.

Yeah it's weird not knowing how the points will turn out. Like I'm pretty sure I'm getting it, unless the points go above what medicine used to be =/

• Advertisement

Ah I'm sure you'll get the place in medicine! At least you will if there's any justice in the world!:D

Or have you started to like Human Health and Disease more now?

Sorta yeah, all summer I was telling myself I'd enjoy it way more and medicine would be too stressful cos I felt sure I wouldn't get it!

So I take it your in the same place as me then?

You definitely have a course and it one you'd like to do but it's all up to new points released this year. At least I've company in limbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yay for missing out on things by 5 points......

Here's for hoping for round 2....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Offers out and Im proud to say I shall be joining the Trinners ranks come September! Looking forward to seeing you all there!
    :)

Fad wrote: »
    Yay for missing out on things by 5 points......

Here's for hoping for round 2....

:( Hope you get it in round 2.
    Offers out and Im proud to say I shall be joining the Trinners ranks come September! Looking forward to seeing you all there!
    :)

I'll see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Got 440 and the points this year are 440 but didn't get it hopefully I'll get it in round 2. Was really pissed off, I had basically written off trinity until I got my results and then I realised I might have a chance and now this.......gawd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

When do we've to make up our minds about which subjects we want to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I was offered a place but I'm going to repeat the leaving cert anyway,just don't think it's for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

just accepted my offer, science in trinity! anyone else, and what subjects will you be taking?

Advertisement