Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deisedude wrote: »
    I was in front of the incident myself and it was a clear shoulder to chest. The Ballyduff players were right to be outraged, granted that didnt excuse pushing Murray. Pretty sure he booked the wrong Ballyduff player as well

Dont know who was booked but am sure the player that should have been booked had a fairly high number jersey on. Could be wrong as i was at the opposite side of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Dont know who was booked but am sure the player that should have been booked had a fairly high number jersey on. Could be wrong as i was at the opposite side of the field.

Ah sure it doesnt really matter anyway. To be honest i think Ballyduff played better after it happened anyway.

Ah sure it doesnt really matter anyway. To be honest i think Ballyduff played better after it happened anyway.

I think Ballyduff could win the county final this year. Whats the betting on a Ballyduff and Lismore county final if they avoid each other in the draw tonight.

I think Ballyduff could win the county final this year. Whats the betting on a Ballyduff and Lismore county final if they avoid each other in the draw tonight.

To be honest i wouldnt be surprised if any of the remaining teams win it. Its the most open championship in years. Well Ballyduff will be without Stevie from now on so its a big ask and there isnt really any strength in depth in the panel to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anyone else think this could finally be Lismore's year?

• Advertisement

To be honest i wouldnt be surprised if any of the remaining teams win it. Its the most open championship in years. Well Ballyduff will be without Stevie from now on so its a big ask and there isnt really any strength in depth in the panel to replace him.

Well one of them has to win, so dont be to remaining teams wins it.

Ballyduff played Mount Sion recently without stevie and only lost by a point. They have also started without Mike Molu,mphy in all but one game, the one against mount sion. he will be a plus for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Nope.
    They're a bunch of stylish hurlers but don't think they'd have it in them to win the thing.
    Also think Ballyduff will be in trouble without Stephen Molumph.

I think it will be De La Salle, Mount Sion final. I was against De la Salle all along, after seeing them earlier this championship they looked a complete bunch of unintrested* players. But after seeing Ballygunner Im starting to come to the conclusion they're even more disintrested*.
    It took pluck for De La Salle to stay in that game with 14 men, losing there main man. But I fear that it could be to big a loss for them to progress to far.
    That number 2 for De La Salle, Paddy, I'd like to see him at under 21, little terrier he is! Tiniest guy on the pitch by amile I'd say but he was quick and got into the phisical side.

Hows the intermediate championship going anyone know?? heard Ardmore were doing well?

*what do you put infront of'intrested' to make it negative??

Semi final draw:

Mount Sion v Ballgunner/De La Salle
    Lismore v Ballyduff Upper

Daysha wrote: »
    Semi final draw:

Mount Sion v Ballgunner/De La Salle
    Lismore v Ballyduff Upper

An East v West final then. If the Lismore v Ballyduff game are anything like last years it will be a cracker. I'd fancy Ballyduff, its a long time since Lismore beat them in the Championship knock out stages. I'd hesitantly favour Mount Sion against the winners of Ballygunner/DLS

Was there actaualy a draw or did they admit they jsut didn't want it to be an all east, all west final.
    I think the Mount Sion ballygunner/DLS will be the better, more skillful and phisical game. Should be a good match.

Also the other semi should be a good match but I just have a feeling that whoever wins the first match will win the final. But my predictions are often wrong.. lol
    Did they confirm the the details yet? I heard they were thinking Sunday week, fraher field?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Was there actaualy a draw or did they admit they jsut didn't want it to be an all east, all west final.
    I think the Mount Sion ballygunner/DLS will be the better, more skillful and phisical game. Should be a good match.

Also the other semi should be a good match but I just have a feeling that whoever wins the first match will win the final. But my predictions are often wrong.. lol
    Did they confirm the the details yet? I heard they were thinking Sunday week, fraher field?

De La Salle or Ballygunner versus Mt. Sion in Walsh Park 2pm

Lismore V Ballyduff Upper in Dungarvan - 5pm

De La Salle or Ballygunner versus Mt. Sion in Walsh Park 2pm

Lismore V Ballyduff Upper in Dungarvan - 5pm

Is it confirmed?
    My dad thought it was a double header in fraher that Walsh park wouldn't be open time? <- not saying its true just what he led me to believe.

Is it confirmed?
    My dad thought it was a double header in fraher that Walsh park wouldn't be open time? <- not saying its true just what he led me to believe.

The county board have been saying all along that Walsh park would be open for the semis so i'd say thats right

Waterford end Kiely's reign

00024fd3189r.jpg

John Kiely is no longer the Waterford football manager after the county board called to an end his five year reign.

Kiely was expecting to be handed another year at the Deise helm and has expressed his disappointment at the decision.

Kiely told the Irish Examiner: 'All my life I was never a bitter man pointing fingers or blaming people. I am always looking on the bright side of things and of life. I think we have won more games in the last two years than Waterford did in the previous 30.

'But I am very disappointed by this. I am going to miss it. I enjoyed every minute of it. But I am a member of the GAA family. And I am going to Croke Park on Sunday. I will still enjoy football and will always support Waterford.

'I couldn't have worked with better players or a backroom team. In the course of my time we got seven Waterford men onto the Munster team to play in the Railway Cup. All the nice people I have met from all over Ireland - that is what the GAA is all about.

'It is not about the people making decisions behind your back.'

He added: 'There is a committee here in Waterford who appoint the management teams on a year to year basis. However, we were not approached to meet with that committee to discuss our future or their concerns.

'But you know what the GAA is like. I knew for a couple of weeks that they were looking for a change, but no one said anything officially. Maybe the fact that I was against the seeded draw might have counted against me.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0915/kielyj.html

Can probably count himself a bit unlucky in fairness, when you consider the standard of football in the county 5 years then you have to say he's been an unqualified success.

I'd say failure to win promotion to division 3 in the league probably cost him in the end.

Is it confirmed?

That is what i was given for the Paper anyway. Might be a double header if Walsh Park is not playable.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0915/kielyj.html

Can probably count himself a bit unlucky in fairness, when you consider the standard of football in the county 5 years then you have to say he's been an unqualified success.

I'd say failure to win promotion to division 3 in the league probably cost him in the end.

I'd say John will be back in action very quick if he wants a job. He has a vast knowledge of gaelic football. Would be a shame to let it go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Ok,on request,I have changed this thread to a general Waterford thread as it has very much deviated from the question of "The future of Waterford hurling".

Well done to Martin O'Neill on winning the minor Munster hurler of the year award :) Fully deserves it after his fantastic performance in the final against Tipp.

Well done to Martin O'Neill on winning the minor Munster hurler of the year award :) Fully deserves it after his fantastic performance in the final against Tipp.

I dont think he got the award for the performance in just one match.

I dont think he got the award for the performance in just one match.

Oh of course not, but the final was the only minor match I saw this year and thought he was superb.

• Advertisement

Fair play to him :)
    Wondering about Cummins getting the senior player though... i'd have a fair few ahead of him.

Anyone at the match today?? It was much better than the first gutted when De La Salle lost(not sure why though tbh) but I thought they played well considering.

What were others opnions about the Ballygunner man giving out to the ref about Mullane roaming around. I think he was right to get rid of Mullane but he should have told the Ballygunner guy to get out of it too. That guy had no right coming onto the pitch to complain and if clubs start thinking they can do that..

Say it will be a fair match next week Ballygunner, Mount Sion. Deise Tom you were correct about the times/places for the semis. Are many going to try get them both? We're considering it, but will definatly be watching Mount Sions.

So whos going to win next week lads? I noticed a pattern about whenever I want a team to win, this week and last! lol Hope Mount Sion and Ballyduff do it though.

Fair play to him :)
    Wondering about Cummins getting the senior player though... i'd have a fair few ahead of him.

Anyone at the match today?? It was much better than the first gutted when De La Salle lost(not sure why though tbh) but I thought they played well considering.

What were others opnions about the Ballygunner man giving out to the ref about Mullane roaming around. I think he was right to get rid of Mullane but he should have told the Ballygunner guy to get out of it too. That guy had no right coming onto the pitch to complain and if clubs start thinking they can do that..

Say it will be a fair match next week Ballygunner, Mount Sion. Deise Tom you were correct about the times/places for the semis. Are many going to try get them both? We're considering it, but will definatly be watching Mount Sions.

So whos going to win next week lads? I noticed a pattern about whenever I want a team to win, this week and last! lol Hope Mount Sion and Ballyduff do it though.

I did not think tonights game was great. It was very dead in patches, and i thought that Ballygunner were more than a bit lucky. O'Keeffe's save on 6 sixutes was superb. How often do see a goal like Ballygunners. What do others think. I was standing in the stand on the half way line to tell people over the P.A. that there was going to be two further periods of 5 minutes. to me the ball went all the way to the net from the free.

The Ballygunner secretary had no reason to be in on the field and if i was a referee there, i would have personally walked him out of the field. Bloody edjit. What was he at. Maybe Mullane was not to be in the field, but he was not interfering with the play. Ok he may have been shouting and encouraging the players nut so were the teams that stood outside the field of play. Something has to be done about the numbers getting into the field. Something will happen some day and there will be war.

I fancy Mount Sion next week to beat Ballygunner, and i would love to see Ballyduff beat Lismore, but without Molumphy they could find the going tough.

Patches I suppose, but I'd rather this game to the last.
    De La Salle just couldn't finish them off. First half and start, middle of second half it was theres but the end of the second half.. Same extra tme they were doing great then the second half.. Fitness or heart I wonder?
    I was also sitting on the halfway and i'm wondering and still am did he get it in from there or did someone get a touch to it.

I thought the linesman were a bit of a joke. They really didn't have much of an idea who last touched it.

Yeh I agree 100% I would have told him to go up to the stand or where Mullane had to go. Against Mullane though he was walking around on the pitch abit, okay hes allowed on the sidelines but he was staring to edge onto the pitch that bit more and theres no need.

I don't know what way the west semi final will go. Depends if Maurice gets a heap of frees and dan gets a couple goals they could win it between them. The other hand Ballyduff are a nice team but you'd have to worry without the main molumph.
    Think Mount Sion will beat any and all of them though :p

I feel that if Mullane was put out of the field for walking around it, then so should the rest of the mentors from the two sides. some of them were on the field the whole time. The only one that should be allowed inside the lines are first aid people and water carriers who should also be the one that brings on a hurley.

I dont know about Mount Sion winning the county championsip with ease as some people are suggesting. Yest i think they will beat Ballygunner, and i feel that who ever comes out of the other game will really test them to the limits.

Ballyduff players will have to really up their game to make up for the loss of Stevie, and i think some of the lismore players, the likes of Dan etc are due one big game and if Next Sunday or the 11 of October is that day, then they will be very hard to beat.

The have to big backroom teams don't they?! I was looking at Ballygunners and thought they had lots then I saw De la Salle has an equally huge crew.

Is 11 October the final? Walsh Park yeh?
    Think its kinda odd to have the two semi finals in different places, diferent times, same day.

We're going to see if we can get to both. I think they might be casual in Dungarvan about the starting time coz i'm sure a fair few people will chance getting to both.

Ya, County final is now on October 11 in Walsh Park, but if the ground is not ready to use, it will be moved to Dungarvan. The game is on at 3pm to the best of my knowledge. Someone said that there is alot of work still to be done in Walsh Park, not the safest place to leave fans into right now i am hearing.

So with only 3 matches left who has stood out for yee this year aside from the usual bunch(mullane, ken,etc)

I'll come back with my list when i have it ready and detailed :)

So with only 3 matches left who has stood out for yee this year aside from the usual bunch(mullane, ken,etc)

I'll come back with my list when i have it ready and detailed :)

Adrian Power, Stephen O'Keeffe, Conor Ryan, all keepers i know but have done well.

Tadhg Ó hUallacháin and Padraig and Noel Ó Murchadha from An Rinn

Evan Sheehan and Thomas Ryan from Tallow

Tom Feeney brilliant for Ballyduff Upper,

Philip Mahony for Ballygunner

Paddy Kennedy from De La Salle

lots of more, but need time to think.

Prepare for news from the De la Salle camp... Not sure when they're going to release stuff so i'm not going to say anymore but next season there will be changes.

Oh and Mullane got 4 weeks. Lucky fella could of and possibly should of got much more.

Oh I forgot about that list :pac: Off the top of my head
    Mount Sion- Eoin whelan, Ian Galgey, Martin O Neill
    Tallow- Thomas Ryan
    De La Salle- Paddy Kennedy
    Lismore- Maurice Shanhan
    Ballygunner- Philip Mahony, Stephen O' Keefe
    Oh and I don't think we'll be seeing Tom Feeney playing next year for Waterford!! Gave great service though.
    I'll think of more later. :)

• Advertisement

Prepare for news from the De la Salle camp... Not sure when they're going to release stuff so i'm not going to say anymore but next season there will be changes.

Oh and Mullane got 4 weeks. Lucky fella could of and possibly should of got much more.

Oh I forgot about that list :pac: Off the top of my head
    Mount Sion- Eoin whelan, Ian Galgey, Martin O Neill
    Tallow- Thomas Ryan
    De La Salle- Paddy Kennedy
    Lismore- Maurice Shanhan
    Ballygunner- Philip Mahony, Stephen O' Keefe
    Oh and I don't think we'll be seeing Tom Feeney playing next year for Waterford!! Gave great service though.
    I'll think of more later. :)

Is it definate that Mullane only got one month. Very lucky boy if it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement