Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deisedude wrote: »
    Who are the Gunners likely to be playing now? Are Clonlara still in the hunt in Clare, they would be the only Clare them i'd be wary of

Clonlara, Kilmaley, Newmarket and the winners of Broadfield and Cratloe in the Clare semi finals. The Clare G.A.A. Website is not very clear as to when and where games are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Clonlara, Kilmaley, Newmarket and the winners of Broadfield and Cratloe in the Clare semi finals. The Clare G.A.A. Website is not very clear as to when and where games are on.

They'd want to be getting a move on wouldn't they?! When's the Ballygunner match scheduled for do you know?

Daysha wrote: »
    They'd want to be getting a move on wouldn't they?! When's the Ballygunner match scheduled for do you know?

November 15. Not exactly ideal preperation. They would be better playing championship games to a much closer to the time rather than Challenge games.

I suppose however we cant complain too much as other years we were russhing them off over the space of a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 risingsuns

I'd say Lismore will take a while to get over this one. Fair play to the Gunners though, they were written off earlier in the season. Paul Flynn is some man!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone at the football over the weekend??
    Heard ballinacourty had terrible wides.

Any details be appresicated on either match :) But espeically The Nire, Ballinacourty one!

• Advertisement

risingsuns wrote: »
    I'd say Lismore will take a while to get over this one. Fair play to the Gunners though, they were written off earlier in the season. Paul Flynn is some man!

What makes you think that?

Nobody would have said at the start of the year (or not many anyway) wopuld have said they would have contested the county final. Lismore also have a very young team. There is something like eight or nine of the team that started the County Final and Replay under the age of 21. They also have in the older players like Brendan Landers, Eoin and Dave Bennett, Dan Shanahan, James O'Connor etc very experienced players all of whom have a number of years left in them at club level yet. It was also very nice to see the likes of Sean Daly go round to the younger players during the warm up and talk to them. How many other clubs do you see that happen at.

I think Lismore have a very good chance of winning a number of titles in the next few years, and could win more than some other clubs that think they have a God given right to win them. (Maybe supporters of the clubs rather than the players and officials of the clubs).

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone at the football over the weekend??
    Heard ballinacourty had terrible wides.

Any details be appresicated on either match :) But espeically The Nire, Ballinacourty one!

The two games were terrible to watch. Ballinacourty had an awful lot of the ball but as some might say they could not hit a cows arse with a banjo. The Nire for the possession they had used the ball well. They had something like five wides in the whole of the game.

Stradbally as expected had their win over Kilrossanty. Kilrossanty however had plenty of chances to be much closer and maybe even to have won, but many of their passes were either over hit or under hit. Paul Whyte is their best forward over the course of the year but the ball did not go into him all that much. Matty Kiely although pushing on a bit now played well for them, but the selectors made a crazy decision to take him off with twenty minutes to go after he scored two points and they also had a player sent off with thirteen minutes to go. That did not help. Must be have said something to the referee as he did not appear to do all that much wrong looking from the stand.

The Nire should win the County Final.

What was up with Gary?? Didn't even get a score on the board.
    Thought it sounded bad for them. Thanks for that though :)

I'd say Maurice is feeling it. He was carrying that team and im convinced that Dan should have made some kind of score with one of his many chances.

And after talking to Soccy she thinks Clonlara will be the ones to beat. But even though I was calling for Lismore I will of course cheer Ballygunner on!

What was up with Gary?? Didn't even get a score on the board.
    Thought it sounded bad for them. Thanks for that though :)

I'd say Maurice is feeling it. He was carrying that team and im convinced that Dan should have made some kind of score with one of his many chances.

And after talking to Soccy she thinks Clonlara will be the ones to beat. But even though I was calling for Lismore I will of course cheer Ballygunner on!

Take it you mean Gary Hurney. He was marking Thomas O'Gorman, who is one of the best full backs there is. He has played for Munster.

Cheers! I take it you can tell from my posts I'm not very knowlegable in the football.

Just saw on UTD that Davy was confirmed for next year. I heard something a while back the couty board were a bit divided on him but I suppose who else is there? If we don't win something(or show alot of promise) this year think I'd get rid of Davy. Hes taken the style out of our hurling.... But I cant argue that the lads are much fitter.

• Advertisement

Cheers! I take it you can tell from my posts I'm not very knowlegable in the football.

Just saw on UTD that Davy was confirmed for next year. I heard something a while back the couty board were a bit divided on him but I suppose who else is there? If we don't win something(or show alot of promise) this year think I'd get rid of Davy. Hes taken the style out of our hurling.... But I cant argue that the lads are much fitter.

Dont really blame you when it comes to Football, its a hard game to watch if you watch alot of hurling. However, if it is played right it can be a ok game to watch, but very few games are played the way they should.

I hope the feck that Davy is not back. I dont believe that he is doing any good for the county, in fact he is bringing us backwards and there is lots of people that agree on this, bar the one or two that matter.

Maybe with a new County Board Chairman coming in to the Board in the middle of December, maybe he will listen to the fans and i am sure the majority of the players and get rid of him before we go any further back.

I'd watch a bit of the football but it really doesnt compare to hurling :)
    I know many people who agree with you, I know very few that would like Davy to come back next year. I really feel this is his last year unless he does something great to the team. See how it goes I suppose..

Who would you like to see as manager? Are you one of the "he should be a waterford manager" people or "anyone good". Personally I dont care where they're from as long as they're decent!!

I'd watch a bit of the football but it really doesnt compare to hurling :)
    I know many people who agree with you, I know very few that would like Davy to come back next year. I really feel this is his last year unless he does something great to the team. See how it goes I suppose..

Who would you like to see as manager? Are you one of the "he should be a waterford manager" people or "anyone good". Personally I dont care where they're from as long as they're decent!!

I dont think it needs to be a Waterford person. If it was I'd like to see someone like Nicky Cashin in the job. He has a very good knowledge of the game. I dont think however it would be should come from either Mount Sion or Ballygunner. I just feel there might be too much politics. I know people say that Jim Greene would be very good, but i feel he would be better placed as a director of hurling in the county, setting up various plans and ensuring that we have the very best people available over the teams, something i dont think is happening right now.

If it was an outside man, i'd go for someone like Donal Ó'Grady or john Allen from Cork, or maybe even Jimmy Barry Murphy. Nicky English might also be very good, but i think he is working in Dublin and dont know if he would be willing to put in the hours of travel to and from training, games etc. However the journey will be that bit shorter soon enough, so it could come a more realistic option. Eddie O'Connor from Kilkenny would be very good. I think he lives outside Waterford so travel would not be a big thing there and also believe yourman from Wexford (Cant think of his name right now, he was manager when they won the all-Ireland in '96) would also be very good and could be very interested. He always have good things to say about Waterford.

I suppose anyone would be better than the fellow we have, or suppose to be getting i suppose.

Waterford V Clare in the Munster semi's. A good draw.

Waterford V Clare in the Munster semi's. A good draw.

Yup, very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not bad, I'll take that, straight into a semi one game and we're back in another Munster! Davy might throw it ha! :D

How many years is that now Tipp v Cork meet in semi/quarter, must be a fix!!:pac:

We couldn't have asked for a better draw. I am very happy with it!
    :D:D

What a chance for the footballers to get to the Final.

Waterford V Clare and Winners V Limerick

Kerry V Tipp and winners V Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

An Clár (hurling) is far from a gimme for Waterford. They will bouyed up by u-21 success and with a young eager and hungry team. Not saying we are doomed or anything, and I'd rather be on the opposite side of the draw to Tipp, but personally I'd have preferred Limerick or Cork in that order.

KevIRL wrote: »
    An Clár (hurling) is far from a gimme for Waterford. They will bouyed up by u-21 success and with a young eager and hungry team.

Remember what Waterford did in '92 and what Kerry did at Walsh Park in '93.

Remember that Limerick won three under 21's in a row and what have they done since.

Winning Minor and Under 21 does not mean success at senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Remember what Waterford did in '92 and what Kerry did at Walsh Park in '93.

Remember that Limerick won three under 21's in a row and what have they done since.

Winning Minor and Under 21 does not mean success at senior level.

Agreed Tom, I remember that day in 93 all too well. Its definitely not a certainty of success, just saying that we would do well to remember that its not a sure thing munster final place for Waterford

KevIRL wrote: »
    Agreed Tom, I remember that day in 93 all too well. Its definitely not a certainty of success, just saying that we would do well to remember that its not a sure thing munster final place for Waterford

Not with Davy Fitz over the team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think he lives outside Waterford so travel would not be a big thing there and also believe yourman from Wexford (Cant think of his name right now, he was manager when they won the all-Ireland in '96) would also be very good and could be very interested. He always have good things to say about Waterford.

I suppose anyone would be better than the fellow we have, or suppose to be getting i suppose.

Liam Griffin is who you are thinking of. He wont manage any county team again, he is too busy running hotels.

Davy aint perfect by any means but there doesnt seem to be too many better candidates out there who are available. He hasnt done too bad a job thus far IMO. I think some of our better players have gone past their peak so he cant really be blamed for that.

Anywho two favourable draws in the hurling and football. Might sneak past Clare in the football but Limerick are definately a step above us.

As for the hurling, i would have been happy with anydraw that didnt have us meeting Tipp until the Munster final. Cork and Limerick aint any great shakes at the moment either. Clare will be rebuilding and i have a feeling there might be a Mike Mac saga on the horizon. All doesnt seem to be well there. Plus with Clare playing in Division 2 this year they will have pretty poor preparation for the game

To be fair, when looking at the draws of previous years, we've been very lucky. This is the 3rd year running we've been on the opposite side of the draw to both Cork and Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Daysha wrote: »
    To be fair, when looking at the draws of previous years, we've been very lucky. This is the 3rd year running we've been on the opposite side of the draw to both Cork and Tipp.

Yeah, that's true. But sure in fainess, we can only beat what's put out in front of us and it's the luck of the draw as they say. :rolleyes:

It was only a few years back, in 2004 when we won Munster, that we had a disaster of a draw having to beat Clare, Tipp then Cork to win it, which we did. :)

Clare will be tough but they're a team in transition and as previous posters said, Division 2 hurling won't be ideal preparation for them. Can't wait for it already! :D

By the way, I heard from a reliable source that this match will be in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. Some dose if it is! :o

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah, that's true. But sure in fainess, we can only beat what's put out in front of us and it's the luck of the draw as they say. :rolleyes:

It was only a few years back, in 2004 when we won Munster, that we had a disaster of a draw having to beat Clare, Tipp then Cork to win it, which we did. :)

Clare will be tough but they're a team in transition and as previous posters said, Division 2 hurling won't be ideal preparation for them. Can't wait for it already! :D

By the way, I heard from a reliable source that this match will be in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. Some dose if it is! :o

I would be for saying if the game was in Limerick, the Munster Council will loose a lot of money, because like what happen time and time again when Waterford are given a game on Shannon side, the fans or at least a portion of them will not travel. Anyway, why should Clare be given a game when they only have to travel a few miles to and for some waterford fans there would a round trip of about 200 miles. Thurles is the ideal venue for Waterford and Clare games.

I think we can only hope its not in Limerick.. I'd still go all the same but I'd much rather Thurles.

Lots of people are saying Limerick but how did they all hear of it?? Nothing was announced yet as far as I know.

I think we can only hope its not in Limerick.. I'd still go all the same but I'd much rather Thurles.

Lots of people are saying Limerick but how did they all hear of it?? Nothing was announced yet as far as I know.

Just speculation. Limerick nearly always get one game, this seems the most likely to be played there as it has been before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Big question is which team will Davy Fitz be managing?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Big question is which team will Davy Fitz be managing?

He'll either be managing Waterford or no one. If anyone is going to take over from Mike Mac in Clare you would have to imagine it would be the U21 management team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement