Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    Uhh Bennet is for another argument too! He was hitting the ball uselessly again and if he starts to miss frees he should be taken off. They don't have much better though..

Yeh I wouldn't mind to much about his club but wouldn't like to put an under 21 full back. He most likely will play there in a few years unless a miracle forms.. But I can't get over how we have so many teams but one position that they have been trying to fill for how many years!

In the past, after Sean Cullinane retired, if Tom Feeney was given a fair chance there he could have solved the problem and might continue to solve it now. In 98, when The Rock was unable to play i think it was Clare, Fenney came in and done well there. After that successive managers and Selectors seemed to pick on him some way. If he made a mistake, withing two minutes you could be sure that he was taken off and any other player that made a mistake was left in place.

I thought that Ballyduff might have played him at Full Back last night. He was not having his usual game in the number six shirt and Dan was going well despite not scoring alot for Lismore. I thought he might have cancelled out the infleence Dan was having on the game.

Daysha wrote: »
    Would've liked to have been at the matches today, sounded like good games.

Obviously the head and the heart hope to see the Gunners pull off the victory, but I wouldn't deny Lismore that first county championship in years. Would be nice to see lads like Dan lift the cup after the tough time he's had this year.

I can assure you from what i say of Lismore in the last few weeks, Johnny O'Brien and Ducky Ormonde have them going well and if all the players can fire hot on the day, ballygunner are going to get one hell of a game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Just for anyone who didn't know heres the fixtures for the munster club hurling championship
    QF 1/11 Tipperary champs vs Cork Champs Tipp Venue
    SF 15/11 Waterford champs vs Clare Champs Waterford Venue
    SF 15/11 Limerick champs vs winners Tipperary/Cork Champs Tipperay/Cork venue
    Final 29/11

Waterford really got the best of it..

Just for anyone who didn't know heres the fixtures for the munster club hurling championship
    QF 1/11 Tipperary champs vs Cork Champs Tipp Venue
    SF 15/11 Waterford champs vs Clare Champs Waterford Venue
    SF 15/11 Limerick champs vs winners Tipperary/Cork Champs Tipperay/Cork venue
    Final 29/11

Waterford really got the best of it..

Not a bad draw you would expect but i would say that whoever comes out of Clare will be a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

While I cant speak for Orizio I can 100% guarantee as my location suggests I am not from Waterford ;):p

So you are a Kilkenny man then?;)

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Not a bad draw you would expect but i would say that whoever comes out of Clare will be a good team.
    I wonder where it will be. I suppose it depends on east or west winning. TBH though I think the only thing Walsh Park is fit for right now is a scrapyard.

While I'm touching off it what are peoples opnions here on the pitches? Obviously something needs to be done but the classic east vs west problem means we're left with two sh*t stadiums..

I wonder where it will be. I suppose it depends on east or west winning. TBH though I think the only thing Walsh Park is fit for right now is a scrapyard.

While I'm touching off it what are peoples opnions here on the pitches? Obviously something needs to be done but the classic east vs west problem means we're left with two sh*t stadiums..

The home county club has the right to host the game in their own grounds. I know in Lismore's case the ground is capable of hosting it. I have never been to Ballygunners field so dont know what it is like, but in the past i know they have hosted games in Walsh park. I am sure that if Lismore cannot hold the game on their own pitch (that is if they win), they would move it to maybe Cappoquin or Fraher Field.

I know i try and wind up people on upthediese.com about Walsh Park and Fraher Field and succeed most of the time, but i tend to agree with you. Both stadiums (would you call them stadiums) are of a poor standard. However i do honestly believe that the number one pitch in the county should be in the Dungarvan-Abbeyside-Lemybrien area. I know that Tramore and Waterford city are the biggest population areas of the county. I dont know how well you known the west of the county, but in all honesty, a person would get to Dungarvan from Waterford city, Tramore, Passage etc in a quicker time than say some people in Knockanore (Shamrocks), Ballyduff Upper, Clashmore and Fourmilewater/Nire areaa which are on the county boundaries with Cork or Tipperary would get to Dungarvan. Some of these areas are very remote, and dont have the advantage of what people in the city area have i.e. a regular bus service to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anyone know if the rumours of Dan injuring himself in training and missing the final are true?

The home county club has the right to host the game in their own grounds. I know in Lismore's case the ground is capable of hosting it. I have never been to Ballygunners field so dont know what it is like, but in the past i know they have hosted games in Walsh park. I am sure that if Lismore cannot hold the game on their own pitch (that is if they win), they would move it to maybe Cappoquin or Fraher Field.

I know i try and wind up people on upthediese.com about Walsh Park and Fraher Field and succeed most of the time, but i tend to agree with you. Both stadiums (would you call them stadiums) are of a poor standard. However i do honestly believe that the number one pitch in the county should be in the Dungarvan-Abbeyside-Lemybrien area. I know that Tramore and Waterford city are the biggest population areas of the county. I dont know how well you known the west of the county, but in all honesty, a person would get to Dungarvan from Waterford city, Tramore, Passage etc in a quicker time than say some people in Knockanore (Shamrocks), Ballyduff Upper, Clashmore and Fourmilewater/Nire areaa which are on the county boundaries with Cork or Tipperary would get to Dungarvan. Some of these areas are very remote, and dont have the advantage of what people in the city area have i.e. a regular bus service to Dungarvan.

What kind of crowd do these normally get?? I never got to a inter county club match so I don't know how big it would be.
    Yeh plot of grass describes them better :p
    I understand your point completly, and see where your coming from.
    As much as it goes against my mount sion side, I prefer Fraher Field. But the way I prefer it, it would have to stay the way it is. I love how when you go in theres that field infront of you and you can sometimes see the teams training on it. And how the stand is small and you end up really close to the pitch. Thats just my reason why I like it. Its just personal choice no real professional reasons. But if it were to expand,both of these would be lost.
    Walsh Park on the other hand... Is bigger and I just think its in a bad way. At the very least for Dungarvan you are always close to the pitch eevn in the back row but with the sportsfield its neither here nor there. I'd rather it to be burned or rebuilt!
    I'll take your word for Fraher to be more accesible, I don't really no west waterford that well at all. But with Walsh park being in the city, I think it shouldn't have a poor pitch because of it having many people there.

All in all though I wouldn't object to either 'stadium' being demolised and rebuilt.. Or if they demolished both and put one in Kilmac area, I just think it's a disgrace to have two poor standard ones.
    Rant over/
    And sorry for such a long post in pink, I didn't realise how much I was writing :o

Daysha wrote: »
    Anyone know if the rumours of Dan injuring himself in training and missing the final are true?
    I heard he broke his finger :)
    Must have been from buttoning up that new suit he was given from that new suit shop.
    I'll pray for him to be okay by the final!! :p

• Advertisement

What kind of crowd do these normally get?? I never got to a inter county club match so I don't know how big it would be.
    Yeh plot of grass describes them better :p
    I understand your point completly, and see where your coming from.
    As much as it goes against my mount sion side, I prefer Fraher Field. But the way I prefer it, it would have to stay the way it is. I love how when you go in theres that field infront of you and you can sometimes see the teams training on it. And how the stand is small and you end up really close to the pitch. Thats just my reason why I like it. Its just personal choice no real professional reasons. But if it were to expand,both of these would be lost.
    Walsh Park on the other hand... Is bigger and I just think its in a bad way. At the very least for Dungarvan you are always close to the pitch eevn in the back row but with the sportsfield its neither here nor there. I'd rather it to be burned or rebuilt!
    I'll take your word for Fraher to be more accesible, I don't really no west waterford that well at all. But with Walsh park being in the city, I think it shouldn't have a poor pitch because of it having many people there.

All in all though I wouldn't object to either 'stadium' being demolised and rebuilt.. Or if they demolished both and put one in Kilmac area, I just think it's a disgrace to have two poor standard ones.
    Rant over/
    And sorry for such a long post in pink, I didn't realise how much I was writing :o

The numbers that attend the inter club games vary. Naturally you are going to get a sizeable amount of support from the teams playing, more naturally from the home team if there is a considerable amount of travel involved. You will also get a sizeable amount of the die hard hurling/football supporters from the county that go and see a number of games each week.

Never have any fear about the length of a rant. Its good to get things out in the open. Should see the length of things i come out with at times. An elderly woman that knows me once told me that once i sit at a type writer/keyboard, i sometimes forget to stop hitting the keys.

I heard he broke his finger :)
    Must have been from buttoning up that new suit he was given from that new suit shop.
    I'll pray for him to be okay by the final!! :p

Alot of the stories you hear at times i would take with a pinch of salt. For example, before the game with Kilkenny, I was in Dungarvan the Wednesday before the game and it was all over the place that Dan had fallen down the stairs of his house that morning and broke his leg. I would say ten minutes after i hearing it, who did i see, Dan, standing at the ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Alot of the stories you hear at times i would take with a pinch of salt. For example, before the game with Kilkenny, I was in Dungarvan the Wednesday before the game and it was all over the place that Dan had fallen down the stairs of his house that morning and broke his leg. I would say ten minutes after i hearing it, who did i see, Dan, standing at the ATM.

Only time he shows any bit of passion at all is when he standing at the ATM from what I hear!:pac:

LOL How did ya manage that!

I know theres nearly always built up problems and injuries for matches.. I remember before the first Limerick match this year Mullane was mean to be an injury doubt!! Then Connors was mean to have broken his hand and so on...
    I sure if he did break his finger it will be perfectly okay by his next training, let alone the final.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84862
    I couldn't get over this, and I don't know why!!
    Big stand out line to me was 'Ken Mc Grath was as useless as always'...
    He wasnt even just known as Ken, it was Ken McGrath! And who was Flannery? And if a young Kirwan was our exciting new prospect for now :eek::p

I heard from a different guy, so it mightent be 100% But after the Mount Sion match he thinks he heard people talking toKen and Tony and they were saying that was the end of them. The were finishing inter county.:(:(
    Suppose no point in saying much until this is proven.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84862
    I couldn't get over this, and I don't know why!!
    Big stand out line to me was 'Ken Mc Grath was as useless as always'...
    He wasnt even just known as Ken, it was Ken McGrath! And who was Flannery? And if a young Kirwan was our exciting new prospect for now :eek::p

I heard from a different guy, so it mightent be 100% But after the Mount Sion match he thinks he heard people talking toKen and Tony and they were saying that was the end of them. The were finishing inter county.:(:(
    Suppose no point in saying much until this is proven.

Flannery is Brian, used to play for Mount Sion. Played inter county for Tipp before his move to Waterford. Kirwan is possibly Alan from Ballygunner. Was always a very good wing back in my view but has been moved into the forwards now.

Hope what you say about the two lads is wrong. If the Manager we had with the past year and a bit is in charge again next year, i feel that we might be a number of players down.

Anyone think it was a bit of a shock that Dungarvan beat Cappoquin in the Western Intermediate hurling semi final replay today. I thought last week that Cappoquin were the better team in the drawn game and expected them to win today.

Well what did yee think of that for a match. Lismore in the first half... That was the best I ahve ever seen them play but they really threw it away in the end. They were 10points up for a short time. But Ballygunner were never in the lead. They wernt even leval for most the match. Feel sorry for Maurice Man of the Match IMO I think if Hartley and Flynn wern't playing Ballygunner would have been in huge bother, Lismore were playing well together.

And the pitch was better today :) Where'd you say the replay is next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Dungarvan is the logical choice tbh, if I were from Lismore I'd be fairly annoyed if they scheduled two counties finals in 6 days to be played in the city.

It's amazing how Ballygunner turned back the clock this afternoon though. All the talk was about the youthfulness of the Gunners against the more experienced Lismore lads, but it turns out Paul Flynn and Fergal Hartley of all people were the guys to pull it out of the bag!

You'd wonder whether Lismore will feel they've lost their chance to win this now. To fail to win a final you're 10 points up in would hurt any team, so it'll be interesting to see how they react next weekend.

Yeh I really worry for Lismore for next week. They're not going to get that lead on them again. But Flynn was in some mood, nobody can mark if when hes like that!
    'O Keefe you cant really blame for the goals but I would have liked to see him stop the first, hes saved harder but i suppose a touch of nerves.
    Cider wasn't great but he wasnt worse than usual.

Did you see Padraig Prentergast, I think, he was only 16 and I thought he played pretty well. I think the first half Lismore were a unit and played great. Dan wasnt half bad either, not his best but good. Maurice was brillient. One free he missed from the whole game. Great player and I hope for great things from him next year. Hartley could be in trouble for next week, after that one whack he was unsteady on his feet.
    Hope lismore win it next week, love to see them win one!

And yeh if Lismore have any say it will be Fraher field, will there be enough space? They cant really give out though coz most they're matches all year were in Fraher. oh well hope Lismore go on to win :D

• Advertisement

Well what did yee think of that for a match. Lismore in the first half... That was the best I ahve ever seen them play but they really threw it away in the end. They were 10points up for a short time. But Ballygunner were never in the lead. They wernt even leval for most the match. Feel sorry for Maurice Man of the Match IMO I think if Hartley and Flynn wern't playing Ballygunner would have been in huge bother, Lismore were playing well together.

And the pitch was better today :) Where'd you say the replay is next week??

The game is goimng ahead at 4pm on Saturday in Walsh Park.

I tought the field today was a disgrace and there is NO WAY any game should be played on it till its sorted. I crossed it after the game and it was terrible. There was forever too much sand on it in patches and the grass cover was far from ideal.

Ya, Maurice got Man of the MAtch, but to me it was Fergal. the man was a giant throughout the the game. Flynn also played well, playing very well after jockers departure. Maurice was again very impressive, as was Eoin Bennett at corner back. Dan also did well and was involved with a number of scores.

Who does everyone think will win the replay.

Its Lismore for me, but there is no way that it will be half as exciting as today. If it is as exciting, then we are in for one well of a game.

Oh you should have seen it for Mount Sion, Ballygunner.. That was a bad pitch but the semi was an atrocious(sp) pitch. If the ball bounced all over today, it hit the sky the last week!

Yeh I dont think I posted it but I mean ton the other post that that was the order I'd put them in Thought Fergal was great he cleaned up soo much. But i'd be worried about him he seemed to go down kinda easy after. Maurice was great first half and I suppose coz of being 18,19? they felt give it to him.
    Paul Flynn was a workhorse today! Something you dont normally hear but he set up alot of ballygunner scores, almost all the goals i think. To be fair Jockser didn't need to be taken off nobody can mark Flynn when hes like that, its just not possible.
    Dan looked even more afraid then ever today.. But he was pushed around a bit but for a man of his height :rolleyes:

I''d be kicking myself if I were Lismore.. Threw it away is the only word.

Fergal was like the old fox yesterday. While he may have picked up an injury at one stage of the game, he did go down alot after it, mostly i thought when lismore scored or were on a little bit of a roll, i feel he was just trying to break their momentum.

Thats an intresting idea actually... And could be right coz i've noticed the last few games, half time does Lismore no favours, it takes them a little to get back into it again.

And I'm surprised by hearing around people think Lismore will win. I thought straight after the match it's gone now, they lost their chance. But I suppose it depends on Ballygunner. If Flynn does that work for them again and if Fergal is involved in the game as much.

The big thing also for me was Lismore got goals. The first was iffy enough, maybe could have been stopped but you wouldnt be annoyed. The second O' Keefe hadnt a hope, one on one. I think I said before Lismore would hardely get any goals but if they can... Shoulld be a good match Saturday.

Does anyone think James O'Connor leaving the field was the turning point in the game. In the first half the Lismore full back line were outstanding, but O'Connor must have picked up some sort of injury as Thomas Ó'Brien was warming up for a good while and as soon as the third goal went in, O'Connor was taken off. The Lismore selectors must have felt that they could not affort to leave him on the field any longer if he was carrying any sort of an injury.

Well I wonder will Dan "The Man" be allowed next or near Lismore later..

Well I wonder will Dan "The Man" be allowed next or near Lismore later..

Why not. They love him there. Having an off day today will not change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Who are the Gunners likely to be playing now? Are Clonlara still in the hunt in Clare, they would be the only Clare team i'd be wary of

• Advertisement

Why not. They love him there. Having an off day today will not change that.
    Id blame him for Lismore not winning.
    The last 15mins he had the sliother in hand 3 times, had huge goal chances and blew them all. Even if he went for the point... Okay he was fouled atleast once he still should have gotten something out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement